• Footgate
    • Buttfumble
    • Fireman Ed quits
    • Tripgate
    • Geno sucker punch
    • Bowles sucking
    • Gase sucking
    • Other

1998. IT WAS RIGHT THERE. And then it went to total sheet in about 20 minutes of total hell. 

Sadly there are so many to choose. Was at the Fake Spike Game. Only other time I can recall a crowd going from Concord taking off loud to pin drop quiet is Rangers/Pens 1992 playoff game when Kevin Stevens scored a joke goal against Mike Richter from 65 feet when he was only dumping the puck and Richter totally flubbed it. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, adb280z said:

I've been in pharma for about 15 years.  It's a strange game.

Yeah.  Did it for 3 years--22 to 25 years old.  Wasn't for me.  Moved into the adjacent industry where (I strongly feel) the doctors ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT YOU, YOUR PRODUCT AND WHAT YOU OFFER.

In big pharma (only primary care), I was a sample dropper and the doctors wouldn't have cared or would not have known if I had dropped dead...and my company felt the same way.  Horrible experience.  I bounced as soon as I could!

But, if you stay in it, find your niche (like all my friends in oncology, etc), you can sort of write your own ticket...

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That is a good one.  The jets had just totally crushed and humiliated undefeated Tennessee, the darlings of the nfl , had beaten new england and had a Qb who we knew was good and could put up points when needed.  Then things just sewered, favre got hurt and Mangini and sutton lost their nerve calling defense (i've never seen so many 3 man rush calls in my life) and it all fell apart.

Actually lost the first game to the Pats then needed OT to beat them in the 2nd in a Brady less year..

11 hours ago, Mackman55 said:

The 1982-83 AFC championship game (The Mud Bowl) played in the Orange Bowl on January 23rd 1983 and I was there. Miami made sure the field was a complete muddy mess which allowed them to compete with a far superior Jets team. The field was so bad that players couldn't walk on and off the field without slipping and falling down. The Jets were an absolute lock to beat Miami that day and would have been favored IMO in the Super Bowl. To top off the experience the Miami fans at that game were the most degenerate group of human being I have ever experienced. As a result of the Dolphins allowing the field to be so trashed as to be virtually unplayable, the NFL announced the next year that the league would be in charge of preparing all playoff venues from that point on. 

this 

• Upvote 1

Other. Two for me, actually. Losing the Mud Bowl in 1983. Second, watching right in front of me the collision between Merserau and Byrd, and Dennis being carted off the field, weeks after the Mike Utley episode. For the rest of that game, it seemed everyone, fans and players on both teams,wanted to be anywhere else but there. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

If they believe Geno just needed more weapons and Sam is an uncover good QB then yeah 

Who believes Geno needed more weapons? Sam needs more weapons or do you want to judge him based on an UFA and Hogan as his #1 WR while Mahomes has Watkins and Hill, Watson had Hopkins who Murray is now throwing to, and he now has Cooks and Fuller. Every new QB has real WR, we have trash. 

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Who believes Geno needed more weapons? Sam needs more weapons or do you want to judge him based on an UFA and Hogan as his #1 WR while Mahomes has Watkins and Hill, Watson had Hopkins who Murray is now throwing to, and he now has Cooks and Fuller. Every new QB has real WR, we have trash. 

Most QBs who stink in bad situations just happen to stink. This "supporting cast" argument is--at best--an argument that Darnold might not suck as much as his performance indicates. It does not and cannot assume good performance in a better situation.

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Good time to revisit the worst memories that broke your heart in our profiles to put the context of the current disaster into perspective.

Me? It was  the first time I saw Namath play as a Ram. I was 11 and at my grandmothers.  Grandma was cooking dinner and that woman could fix anything with her Sunday gravy and meatballs. 

Runner up, fake spike game. My Dad and Uncles(Giant fan pukes)  yelled merrily As Marino robbed us, I banged on my aunts coffee table and it broke. Took few months to get back into her house. 

4 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Me? It was  the first time I saw Namath play as a Ram. I was 11 and at my grandmothers. Luckily for dinner Grandma was cooking dinner and that woman could fix anything with her Sunday gravy and meatballs. 

Runner up, fake spike game. My Dad and Uncles yelled merrily As Marino robbed us, I banged on my aunts coffee table and it broke. Took few months to get back into her house. 

For me it was Vinny Achilles. Coming in the game after the AFC Champ letdown with the Jets actually being well-regarded as contenders for the first time in my life as a rabid Jets fan was just the kick to the groin. That was the day I officially went from sunshiner to darksider.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Most QBs who stink in bad situations just happen to stink. This "supporting cast" argument is--at best--an argument that Darnold might not suck as much as his performance indicates. It does not and cannot assume good performance in a better situation.

Yeah,  we shouldn't  assume a TE who's open in the EZ should actually catch the ball. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jgb said:

For me it was Vinny Achilles. Coming in the game after the AFC Champ letdown with the Jets actually being well-regarded as contenders for the first time in my life as a rabid Jets fan was just the kick to the groin. That was the day I officially went from sunshiner to darksider.

I was in the press booth at the Redskins And Cowboys season opener. Friend of mine owned a small newspaper and had two press passes. That was a champ Baileys first game as a Redskin. We were allowed onto the field up to 15 minutes before the anthem and I got to watch Deion Sanders warm up on the Cowboys sideline about 30 feet away. Michael  Irving caught the game winning touchdown in Champ Bailey’s face that game. 

When the news came  out about Vinny’s ankle, my friend looked at me and said,” Damn, you guys are done!” 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah,  we shouldn't  assume a TE who's open in the EZ should actually catch the ball. 

If you shrink the sample size to one play, statistics can say anything you want. 

Which is why the Darnold naysayers who point to his lack of consistency and growth in 27 games are on much stronger statistical ground than the acolytes who can only point to "flashes" or hypotheticals about what might be--not what is--if only this, that, or the other.

Darnold has a chance to put it all together. He has a chance to be a Pro Bowl player on a better team. But it's a bad bet.

14 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, you’re hilarious. The Jets suck again, so let’s talk about how they’ve always sucked. 

The AFCCGs are all the worst, collectively, but the Mud Bowl has to be my personal #1. 

This one. The Mud Bowl was the worst for me. I was eleven. I cried my eyes out. By the time we got to 1998, I was already resigned to my fate. The Jets basically stole the innocence and optimism of childhood. I became Bukowski far too early.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

This one. The Mud Bowl was the worst for me. I was eleven. I cried my eyes out. By the time we got to 1998, I was already resigned to my fate. The Jets basically stole the innocence and optimism of childhood. I became Bukowski far too early.

I'm seeing a trend here. A Jet fan's worse moment is the one that makes them realize that the Jets are moribund and cursed.

• Upvote 1

Another bad one for me was the Blair Thomas fumble against the Bears on MNF in 91.  Up 13-6 with a little over a minute left, Bears tied the game and won in OT . Punched a hole in our living room wall that day , wasn't married at the time but my GF  didn't talk to me for about a week which in hindsight was probably a good thing , we broke up about a year later. Ended up marrying my current wife 4 years later in 95. 

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

If you shrink the sample size to one play, statistics can say anything you want. 

Which is why the Darnold naysayers who point to his lack of consistency and growth in 27 games are on much stronger statistical ground than the acolytes who can only point to "flashes" or hypotheticals about what might be--not what is--if only this, that, or the other.

Darnold has a chance to put it all together. He has a chance to be a Pro Bowl player on a better team. But it's a bad bet.

Sorry but it is far from one play. How many dropped balls were there in the Bills game? Hogan also sucked on the Pats with Brady throwing to him so an older slower Hogan being Sam's go to is going to be better? Until we get Sam a #1 WR, this conversation  will exist. Let's  not also forget Gase has called horrible plays. 4th and 1, you have a mobile QB who is totally capable of picking that up but you rather hand the ball to Adams who had not touched the ball up to that point. If you were giving it to a RB, why not give it to Gore he was playing ok picking up yards in the A gap. 

Sam is so far down the list on things wrong with this team. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Another bad one for me was the Blair Thomas fumble against the Bears on MNF in 91.  Up 13-6 with a little over a minute left, Bears tied the game and won in OT . Punched a hole in our living room wall that day , wasn't married at the time but my GF  didn't talk to me for about a week which in hindsight was probably a good thing , we broke up about a year later. Ended up marrying my current wife 4 years later in 95. 

You're lucky. Not with the wife or GF. I know someone  who punched a wall, hit a stud and broke every finger in his hand. He had pins in his hand for a months and had to go to therapy for over a year. We called him Freddy Kruger after that.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Sorry but it is far from one play. How many dropped balls were there in the Bills game? Hogan also sucked on the Pats with Brady throwing to him so an older slower Hogan being Sam's go to is going to be better? Until we get Sam a #1 WR, this conversation  will exist. Let's  not also forget Gase has called horrible plays. 4th and 1, you have a mobile QB who is totally capable of picking that up but you rather hand the ball to Adams who had not touched the ball up to that point. If you were giving it to a RB, why not give it to Gore he was playing ok picking up yards in the A gap. 

Sam is so far down the list on things wrong with this team. 

It's cool to disagree, that's what makes discussions interesting. 

But I've gotta stick with "good players play good," as a model. Can't remember the last time it's failed me.