OT Alex Trebek RIP

18 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Pancreatic sucks . It took my sister , now , it took Alex . RIP .

Sorry for your loss.  Wrote in the Alex thread in The Lounge that the disease took my Mom in three months.   

No test.  And, usually, no major symptoms before a person is diagnosed with advanced disease.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

2020 can stick a bucket of rusty nails where the sun don't shine.

I've often joked "can't wait for this year to end." I solemnly swear never to say this again after 2020 absent global thermonuclear war.

• Upvote 3

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I am not longer saying "what else could go wrong?" I'm just expecting bad stuff to happen.

Yup. This year is atrocious. Counting blessings -- job security, family health -- feel bad for people who've gotten sick (or worse) or kids who were graduating this year or starting college. Might be a "lost generation" like 2008 when no grads could get jobs and then when things got better, everyone hired 2009 grads, not the 2008s who had been working odds jobs.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Yup. This year is atrocious. Counting blessings -- job security, family health -- feel bad for people who've gotten sick (or worse) or kids who were graduating this year or starting college. Might be a "lost generation" like 2008 when no grads could get jobs and then when things got better, everyone hired 2009 grads, not the 2008s who had been working odds jobs.

2008 college grad here.  This hits home.  I took the first job I could (supervisor in retail), which ended up lasting for 4+ years. 

Luckily, my first "real job" in 2013 has been paying off.  As has the 401(k) I opened (so far) with that first job in '08.  I should finally be debt-free by 2023.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2008 college grad here.  This hits home.  I took the first job I could (supervisor in retail), which ended up lasting for 4+ years. 

Luckily, my first "real job" in 2013 has been paying off.  As has the 401(k) I opened (so far) with that first job in '08.  I should finally be debt-free by 2023.

My company at the time did the same. Treated 2008s like they were damaged goods because they worked jobs "not in the industry (law)." I will say though the 2008s I've met have been hustlers. They know what adversity looks like. One year of adversity wiped out the participation trophy mindset in a flash. That's who I look for now in hiring.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

My company at the time did the same. Treated 2008s like they were damaged goods because they worked jobs "not in the industry (law)." I will say though the 2008s I've met have been hustlers. They know what adversity looks like. One year of adversity wiped out the participation trophy mindset in a flash. That's who I look for now in hiring.

I certainly learned how to stretch a dollar, lol.  Oh, and the importance of having a 2nd job doing something you really enjoy (even if it pays very little), to help offset the dissatisfaction of your main job.  

In hindsight, I'm thankful for my experience.

• Upvote 2

Being born in 1985 he was apart of my childhood in Queens as my mom and older sisters and aunts and grandma always gathered around the TV watching jeapordy throughout the 90s. My mom is now 70 exactly. Makes me sad. He was only 80 I pray every night my mom lives until 107 another 37 years (so I can be in 70s myself). Rest in Heaven. This one bothered me as I write this. 

10 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Feel bad for Alex, but he made it to 80 and lived a charmed life

in the future all RIPS belong in the lounge

No disrespect but Alex was no evh or neil peart

He didn't just make it to 80 and  live a charmed life.  He was an example to millions of people who are starring death in the face that you can overcome your fear and live a productive life even with death starring you in the face.   No disrespect but I hope you never get the news that death is knocking at your door.  

Trebek sent a message to all of us that you can carry on...

• Upvote 1

Between the death of Sean Connery and now Alex Trebek we definitely need those SNL 'Jeopardy' parodies to make a well-deserved appearance. RIP. He dealt with with his illness with wit and grace, and I don't doubt that his private face was the same as his public one on it. Anyway, some people are inimitable, really. Just like I always say about Karen Carpenter: aside from her being an astoundingly talented drummer (she always considered herself a drummer who sang, not a singer who played the drums), you can rag on The Carpenters all you want; but there has yet to be one singer where you say, hey, that reminds me of Karen Carpenter. Because nobody does. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, jgb said:

Yep, I'm an '08. Took the only job available that was somewhat near where I wanted to be, outperformed for a few years, quit and focused my studies and energy on getting where I wanted to go. I've finally worked my way up to a position where manage my own global team (structured credit) and get to hire for it. I see so many '07, '08, '09 come in with lost years on their resumes - but as long as they can speak on the fact that they used that time to be better and work towards their future in Investment Management, I don't ever penalize them for it. Far cry from almost everyone else in my industry - including HR who always has a problem with lost or "gap" years. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Man was a legend of television. Witty and fun. Enjoyed watching Jeopardy with my mom growing up. RIP.

Funny how many people I know like this. My parents emigrated to the US in '88 when I was 2 - and in our culture education was everything. So my bro and I were never allowed to watch TV on the weekdays - our free time was to be spent doing creative things and/or reading. When my mom realized that Jeopardy was actually educational, she forced my dad to let us sit with them for 30 mins every night have us watch Jeopardy. I remember thinking it was so boring when I was really young, but as I got older, it became a fascination. I would look forward to watching as a family and being the first one to answer. 

Going to miss Trebek. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Biggs said:

He didn't just make it to 80 and  live a charmed life.  He was an example to millions of people who are starring death in the face that you can overcome your fear and live a productive life even with death starring you in the face.   No disrespect but I hope you never get the news that death is knocking at your door.  

Trebek sent a message to all of us that you can carry on...

I knew this was gonna happen....

I am not disrespecting alex. Im saying we lost lots of great talented folks this year and they all get honored in the lounge. Im sure he was a great guy, but he was a game show host. Neil peart was a brilliant artist that will never be replaced.

Do you want to know about the pain Neil went through and survived, read the book.

again, its nota contest