So is Quinnen still a bust?

Philc1

13 hours ago, JTJet said:

Tell what to who?

As I said, 3rd overall picks are expected to be great from day 1. That's the standard. 

Manning was expected to be great on day 0.  

Sapp wasnt a top 10 pick. 

Revis wasn't a top 10 pick. 

Randle wasnt a top 10 pick. 

Klecko wasnt a top 10 pick. 

Mahomes was the 10th pick. 

They are expected to be good but they often aren't. 

Look at the 2017 nfl draft, you have trubisky, fournette, Corey Davis, Mike williams, John ross, Solomon thomas. All those guys are either busts or just average NFL players.

You can't just assume every top ten pick will become dominant players and then not give credit when a top ten player becomes really good. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They are expected to be good but they often aren't. 

Look at the 2017 nfl draft, you have trubisky, fournette, Corey Davis, Mike williams, John ross, Solomon thomas. All those guys are either busts or just average NFL players.

You can't just assume every top ten pick will become dominant players and then not give credit when a top ten player becomes really good. 

Are you guys even reading the entire thread? I really dont think you are. 

I agree, they often do not pan out, but that doesnt change the fact that the expectations are a higher standard for top 3. 

I'm not talking about the outcomes of ANY player, nor am I discrediting any player. I'm simply pointing out the expectations of top 3 players being vastly different than virtually the rest of the entire draft. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Youre talking about all the good players that weren't top 10 picks.  So?  All I said is that a top 10 cant be good

No DWC was talking about those non top 10 players to prove a point that had nothing to do with what I was talking about, what so ever. 

My only point is simple. 

The expectations for a top 3 pick, are vastly different than every other draft pick. 

What they actually do on the field is irrelevant to my point. What is expected of them before they step on the field the first time is what I'm talking about. 

To those shaming us "QW is a bust" crowd:  Can you blame us?  Every other pick Mike Maccagnan made in a 5-year period was either a bust, disappointment, or a bad pick.  Williams sucked his rookie year, seemingly was non-existent in camp, and didn't make an impact in Week 1 against the Bills, either.

Again, glad to be wrong about him.  Congrats to Macc for finally making a good pick, at # 3 overall.

30 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No DWC was talking about those non top 10 players to prove a point that had nothing to do with what I was talking about, what so ever. 

My only point is simple. 

The expectations for a top 3 pick, are vastly different than every other draft pick. 

What they actually do on the field is irrelevant to my point. What is expected of them before they step on the field the first time is what I'm talking about. 

Well then I agree.  You know the odds arent as high for busting at 3rd overall vs 123rd

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To those shaming us "QW is a bust" crowd:  Can you blame us?  Every other pick Mike Maccagnan made in a 5-year period was either a bust, disappointment, or a bad pick.  Williams sucked his rookie year, seemingly was non-existent in camp, and didn't make an impact in Week 1 against the Bills, either.

Again, glad to be wrong about him.  Congrats to Macc for finally making a good pick, at # 3 overall.

Can I blame fans for not giving players a fair chance?  

For screaming trade him in his first year?

Yes

13 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I know Hall got s’d on yesterday but he is just a rookie and he did have a couple good passes defended.  I remember Revis getting burned as a rookie. Maybe with more experience and better coaching he can be a decent starting CB

Ashtyn Davis looks like Eric Smith/Jim Leonhard 2.0

Davis and Hall both look like they belong on the field.  That's an important first step.  On a team like this it's simply important for them to get real game reps, to see live action and even get a bit of a baptism by fire.  I expect some burnt toast out there.  If they both finish the season fairly well and get a full offseason then I fully expect both to be decent starters in 2021.  The Jets need to add another good CB and bring Maye back.  If that happens then the secondary looks okay going into 2021 with some decent depth guys like Bless, Maulet, etc.

On 11/29/2020 at 3:22 PM, Philc1 said:

Just wondering.  Best player on the field today.  Announcers are drooling over him

The player, no. The pick, yes. I still would have preferred a trade down and offensive player. That isn't to say I'm not glad QW is making worthwhile plays worthy of the spot he was drafted in. Far better than talking about how LW was always a couple seconds too late.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, heymangold said:

according to PFF jonah williams has a grade of 70.5.  i'd take that at RT right now.

I've HATED the Q pick since the second it was made. But I wouldnt take a RT that hasnt played half a season in 2 years over the way Q is playing right now. 

Q was a horrible pick when it was made and we were all right to hate it. But the reality is that, right this moment, it is looking like a pretty good pick. I agree that a top pick should ideally not need years to develop into being effective but with Josh Allen coming down to earth and not looking that good, Jonah being VERY meh... TODAY, Q is a good pick. 

If you're going to bash Q and talk up how you were right all last season (as I have) then you need to be able to look at it objectively when things turn the other way. sh*t, I'd rather be wrong and have a player then be stuck with ANOTHER first round bust. You're posting like you'd rather Q be trash just so you can keep being right about him.

The reality is that if we had consistent pressure on the edge that caused the QB to step up throughout the game, we might have an absolute BEAST right now. He has a ton of pressures because he is consistently getting to the QB, but they are frequently able to roll to the outside easily because we have ZERO presence at OLB.  Imagine we had a pass rush and even a quarter of those hurries ended up as sacks for Q. He would be cemented at the top of the league at his position.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

A lot of Jets fans (and media, hello Cimini) have egg on their face on this. 

1) You never make definitive proclamations about a player off of his rookie year (good or bad)

2) I give Gregg Williams a lot of credit. He made him earn every snap last year and that obviously motivated Quinnen heading into this season. Todd Bowles would have handled it differently. 

On 11/29/2020 at 4:24 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Seriously.  At what point did the entire NFL decide that defensive teams need to celebrate by all running to the end zone and stylin'?  The NFL used to be the "No Fun League" but that was when the celebrations actually had something to them.  Now it's just a boring ritual.

0-10 down by a ton and they all run down to the end zone after getting a turnover.  Pretty pathetic.  But on 2nd thought, wasn't this the first opportunity to do it this year. LOL This team really really really really really sucks.

1 hour ago, Marshmello said:

Dominant performance, I'm really liking the young talent on the defensive line, if we could just find an pure edge rusher... Bud Dupree or Matt Judon?

Still not worthy of a #3. Mean Joe Greene he is not.  He's playing better and hopefully continues to improve so JD can do that voodoo he do and get 2 #1's for him.

17 hours ago, KRL said:

Nice step forward by Williams this year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/stats/_/name/nyj

Games:  10
Tackles:  41
Sacks:      5
TFL:       11
Pass Blocks:  3
Forced Fumbles:  1

No reason he can't finish with 8+ sacks with no edge presence.
Put two edge rushers on his left and right and we could be looking
at a Fletcher Cox (PHI) or Chris Jones (KC) impact player 

His stats look good but a lot of his disruption at LOS doesn’t even show up in the box score

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Marshmello said:

Dominant performance, I'm really liking the young talent on the defensive line, if we could just find an pure edge rusher... Bud Dupree or Matt Judon?

It’s very difficult to get a legit edge rusher in FA or trade.  And we are using our first round picks both on offense.  No idea

10 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Still not worthy of a #3. Mean Joe Greene he is not.  He's playing better and hopefully continues to improve so JD can do that voodoo he do and get 2 #1's for him.

Ah yes, the ol' "Monty, I'd like to trade my all expenses paid trip to Hawaii for Door Number One" strategy of team building. I like it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Ah yes, the ol' "Monty, I'd like to trade my all expenses paid trip to Hawaii for Door Number One" strategy of team building. I like it.

And door #2. Adams 2 first rounders and a 3rd. QW - door #1 and door #2. 
What do we have Monty? 
You get an all paid trip to Hawaii, all expenses paid at a 5 star hotel and hula girls dancing the hula.  

2AF9999D-7E4E-482E-887A-AF9CDFC9B3A8.gif

25 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

And door #2. Adams 2 first rounders and a 3rd. QW - door #1 and door #2. 
What do we have Monty? 
You get an all paid trip to Hawaii, all expenses paid at a 5 star hotel and hula girls dancing the hula.  

2AF9999D-7E4E-482E-887A-AF9CDFC9B3A8.gif

I guess, but Quinnen is not up for a 20 mil per contract extension and undermining his coaches or trying to twitter his way out of town.

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:01 PM, Defense Wins Championships said:

JetNation; after QW's emergence as a Jet you begin to appreciate his Alabama highlights so much more (he's an animal). 

watching Alabama manhandle Auburn in the Iron bowl this year and watching Derrick Henry demolish every defense he faces, that place is a true football factory