Cowher our next coach?

johnnyjet

1 minute ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Stop it. Do you even watch College Football man lol?

Michigan has won a whopping 1 National Championship over the past 71 years (1997). 

No college fan ever expected a National Championship out of MICHIGAN; and he only decided to coach for Michigan due to his loyalty as an alumni. 

"Everyone expected a Championship". 

it doesn't matter.  even if you don't want to talk about the national landscape - he was brought in to beat ohio state. he couldn't even get that done.

5 minutes ago, heymangold said:

when he took the job everyone was expected championship.  he hasn't even won his conference.  i'm not saying i wouldn't like him as the HC here but his time at michigan hasn't exactly been HOF worthy.  he's an offensive coach and QB guy.  he hasn't recruited or developed a single QB at UM since he's been there

6E72EBAD-741A-469F-A130-EF052673CFC4.jpeg

I would consider Cowher but my main question is who are his coordinators?

He's been gone for a long time, if he's bringing in Tony Elliott (Clemson) as his

OC and Jim Leonhard (Wisconsin) as his DC I would be all for it

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Gase AND Williams will be coaching next year. They have been in on the tank and have been pulling the levers for JD (the man behind the curtain) guaranteeing JD gets the FQB of his choice. If they were not guaranteed the extra year GW would have had 5 DB's stationed in the end zone yesterday!! This tank is a team effort at every level up to Chris and Woody. Loyalty begets loyalty.

Starap in boys.... AG & GW season 3 is soon upon us.

OMG.... I have that sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as well lol...  GW isn't that stupid to make the call he did yesterday if they all aren't in this tank for a reason.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, lets draft TL and hand him a coach who hasnt coached in 15 years and who was a true blue adamant ground and pound and play defense coach!

What could go wrong? 

Running the football is a good thing for an offense - especially for a young QB.  Do you really think TL would be upset if we had a good running game?

As for not coaching in 15 years...I agree, there's some concern there but he's been very much around the game - very close to it - so he's not outdated by any means.  He'll be able to recruit a quality coaching staff and bring respect to the organization. 

Truthfully, I don't know if it will work but it would be as good a choice as any out there.,

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Michigan has won a whopping 1 National Championship over the past 71 years (1997). 

No college fan ever expected a National Championship out of MICHIGAN; and he only decided to coach for Michigan due to his loyalty as an alumni. 

So why have Michigan fans been unhappy for what feels like a few years now?

I would love Cowher but I just hope Woody would treat it like a real interview and lean on JD and team.  I can see Woody going for the headline grab and not even giving JD a say.  Cowher would be a great coach to bring into this organization but it would be important to understand who his coaching staff would be, what he's learned over the past 15 years being away from the sidelines.  My fear is Woody would get word he was interested in the job and just hire him without any due diligence.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, KRL said:

He's been gone for a long time, if he's bringing in Tony Elliott (Clemson) as his

My thoughts are if he’s thinking about it he’s been networking around and thinks he can build and all star staff. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

Boomer says for the 1st time he’s been working with Cowher he thinks he may get back into coaching.  What do we think.  Bills wife is a huge Jets fan. By the way. And he lives in NYC. 

I for one would be all in. Instant respectability. 

Please make this stop

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JetsYanks13 said:

Who ever the next coach is, must be the right hire. Enough is enough with penny pinching and being sold a bag of goods from non Jets personalities. I think hiring a grizzled vet HC, would prefer Harbaugh over Cowher, but I much rather have cowher than an unknown.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree 100%. Jets simply can not take a chance with a college coach or coordinator. We need instant credibility. Cowher or Harbaugh would do it, and I would throw Sean Payton into the mix but would involve draft picks to get him.

I have thought about this a few times this year.

pros:

Stay living in NY

Cap Room

Draft Picks

Cons:

leaving a stress free job that has him work less than 6 months

?

I think that he would easily have coordinators knocking down his door to work for him

The question is, does he want to get back into coaching.  I would like it but I just dont see him changing his quality of life at this point.  Enjoying NYC and museums of NYC with his wife for the daily grind and stress of HC of the NYJ.   

Will have to get his wife on board lol

1 hour ago, johnnyjet said:

Boomer says for the 1st time he’s been working with Cowher he thinks he may get back into coaching.  What do we think.  Bills wife is a huge Jets fan. By the way. And he lives in NYC. 

I for one would be all in. Instant respectability. 

Cowher kept the Steelers respectable with Kordell Stewart as QB.  Proves he can work with average players and make them better.  I would give my left nut for this.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

Nucklehead was also calling out for the fins to bench Tua yesterday after the first quarter...lol

You probably lose a little credibility when you try to insult someone by calling them a knucklehead but spell it wrong, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Don't get me wrong, I would take Cowher in a heartbeat. But how long does he plan on being here? This is eerily similar to the parcels situation. Parcels was only here for three years and was gone. 

I would sign up for 3 years of Parcells and what he did for the franchise right now.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

The question is, does he want to get back into coaching.  I would like it but I just dont see him changing his quality of life at this point.  Enjoying NYC and museums of NYC with his wife for the daily grind and stress of HC of the NYJ.   

Other than this is what they live for, they love the challenge and think they can change any situation.  This is built into people like this who excel at a job that normal people who are afraid of stress, stupid hard work and challenges would never survive.  Its how theyre wired.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, KRL said:

This.

Given Cowher's age and time away from the game, his coordinator selections would be key. I would like to see some younger guys who have been involved in current successful offenses who could also create a line of succession should Cowher decide to go back to the TV studio or retire completely.

5 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Agreed the three years of parcels was good, but it lead to a revolving door of head coaches. Don't we want a long term fix with a young qb? Similar to a Peyton Brees relationship.

It lead to a revolving door of HCs because the Jets couldn't find the right HC.

The same revolving door would have existed without Parcells' 3 years and the culture change he brought with him.

Parcells signed on for a 3 year deal with a promise to go all out to win to a dying owner.  This is different, dont know how many years a Cowher would be willing to coach.  If Boomer is even right and hes willing to go back into coaching.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Half the people on here will never understand this. I've been banging this drum for awhile.

The false perception of Michigan football is amazing to me. 

55 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

The contract he signed was the highest paid coaching contract in college at the time and Michigan was pretty much universally praised for the hire. If people think it’s a good hire giving a guy top of the profession pay, are expectations not that he might get a program to be championship caliber?

It also took Harbaugh four years to take a Stanford program with less resources to an 11-1 record and a #4 ranking heading into bowl games - which would be a playoff appearance in the current landscape. Not a big leap to say people expected more from him at Michigan than he did at Stanford with less financial resources and more academic restrictions.