Congratulations to the players and the coaches

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

I actually feel good for them. To hear some of the sound bites (especially Becton), and the joy in their voices, you begin to understand the other side of this. No player or coach wants the stain of a winless season their record.

I understand and respect that this is not a popular opinion here. But, perspective. Did I want to have the ability to add Trevor Lawrence to the Jets? Yes, I did because it would have been interesting to watch and made a good storyline. Am I devastated that may now be diminishing as a possibility? No. It was long ago when sports results became an important factor in my order of priorities. 

That is just me, but again I preach perspective. Someone on this site had a baby yesterday. I am still very interested in how this team builds forward, and will have zeal in that process.

Go ahead, hammer away and tell me I am wrong.

I have 10 years of coaching under my belt. ( not in the NFL obviously) I get that. 

• Upvote 2

I agree with this thread. Look I wanted Lawrence and I think Sam Darnold is a bad NFL QB and Gase is mostly a bad coach but they are all human. The locker room seemed really happy to win, the young guys and even the old guys were so giddy and supportive of each other on social media. 

Say what you will about the meta aspects of winning and being a Jets fan but those humans playing the game were happy. Gase kept the locker room together and that’s the only silver lining on his time here. After the Pats game he should GTFO and Sam should get ready to be shipped to a new city.

• Upvote 2

Any positive opinion about yesterday doesn't compute for me.  It is some kind of combo of denial, delusion, and borderline lunacy.  The Jets have screwed up another golden opportunity to change the fortunes of the franchise.

Maybe my worst day ever as a fan.  Still dejected this morning, and I have grown mostly numb to them. 

That is how bad this is... 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Any positive opinion about yesterday, to me, is close to lunacy.  The Jets have screwed up another golden opportunity to change the fortunes of the franchise.

Maybe my worst day ever as a fan.  Still dejected this morning, and I have grown mostly numb to them. 

I feel the same way.  I have pretty much given up on the jets over the past few years and while I still follow them, don’t get emotionally involved.  But, this is different.  This was the one chance to at least have some hope.  Now, none.  

• Upvote 1

Nah....I'm not happy for them.  They've been awful all year - and one a game that put this franchise back a decade.

And then in post game interviews when asked about Jet fans wanting to lose - the joy in their voices (especially Bectons) about sticking it to the fans was sickening.  

It doesn't matter though.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

They were staring at Peyton Manning that can run... and effed it up.

I cannot understand how any Jets fan can feel anything but miserable and hopeless this morning...

Jacksonville and London will celebrate Trevor.

Jets will wade thru sh*te and rubbish for another decade...

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Any positive opinion about yesterday doesn't compute for me.  It is some kind of combo of denial, delusion, and borderline lunacy.  The Jets have screwed up another golden opportunity to change the fortunes of the franchise.

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

I feel the same way.  I have pretty much given up on the jets over the past few years and while I have still follow them, don’t get emotionally involved.  But, this is different.  This was the one chance to at least have some hope.  Now, none.  

QBs are coming out better than ever and in larger quantities. The NFL coaching is more accommodating to these young guys, and the rules favor them more and more. The next “Generational” QB will be around the corner in less than 3 years, don’t worry. We’ll have our shot at a supposedly game-changing QB much faster than you think.

I would have liked Lawrence as I’ve stated over and over in both the draft and main forums, but I’m already over it. Pinning all of the bad of the Jets over the last 50 years on a kid is exactly what doomed Darnold in the first place. Remember, just in the last few years:

Herbert > Tua and Burrow

Allen and Jackson > Mayfield and Darnold

Mahomes > Trubisky

The first QB or the more highly touted QB isn’t always the best - whether because of personal ability or the circumstances they land in. 

Build the team up, put better coaching in place, and then insert one of the QBs which will be coming out over the next few years.

• Upvote 2

I'm absolutely gutted about it, and it just feels hopeless and that we will never, ever as a franchise get out of our own way. 

Yet despite this, and despite desperately wanting us to get beat, I can still find it in myself to be a little please for some of the younger players (Becton, Williams, Hall etc.....) who've basically had nothing but misery since coming into the NFL and to finally get a win must feel amazing for them. 

In fairness to the OP, I think it's possible to feel both these emotions at the same time. 

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

They were staring at Peyton Manning that can run

Lawrence is a great prospect, but only millennial media are comparing him to Peyton. Anyone who studied Peyton as a prospect knows that his game was entirely different and didn’t consist of throwing 80% swings and screens with far superior teammates than the opponents. Peyton looked for the best matchup pre-snap, made sure he went that way, and pushed the ball downfield. Lastly, Peyton was already calling his own plays and had the mental work ethic down at Tenn.

Lawrence is not there yet. He still runs what’s called and doesn’t do half of the stuff Peyton did at the line, and again, he rarely pushes the ball down the field.

Again, I wanted Lawrence and think he’s a great prospect, but some of this stuff is just too hyperbolic to let slide.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

QBs are coming out better than ever and in larger quantities. The NFL coaching is more accommodating to these young guys, and the rules favor them more and more. The next “Generational” QB will be around the corner in less than 3 years, don’t worry. We’ll have our shot at a supposedly game-changing QB much faster than you think.

I would have liked Lawrence as I’ve stated over and over in both the draft and main forums, but I’m already over it. Pinning all of the bad of the Jets over the last 50 years on a kid is exactly what doomed Darnold in the first place. Remember, just in the last few years:

Herbert > Tua and Burrow

Mahomes > Trubisky

The first QB or the more highly touted QB isn’t always the best - whether because of personal ability or the circumstances they land in. 

Build the team up, put better coaching in place, and then insert one of the QBs which will be coming out over the next few years.

And how many quality head coaches will want this job now?

They will be turned down by at least 3 or 4....

Yesterday, in the sports world, was catastrophic.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Lawrence is a great prospect, but only millennial media are comparing him to Peyton. Anyone who studied Peyton as a prospect knows that his game was entirely different and didn’t consist of throwing 80% swings and screens with far superior teammates than the opponents. Peyton looked for the best matchup pre-snap, made sure he went that way, and pushed the ball downfield. Lastly, Peyton was already calling his own plays and had the mental work ethic down at Tenn.

Lawrence is not there yet. He still runs what’s called and doesn’t do half of the stuff Peyton did at the line, and again, he rarely pushes the ball down the field.

Again, I wanted Lawrence and think he’s a great prospect, but some of this stuff is just too hyperbolic to let slide.

Fine, Deshaun Watson... better?

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I actually feel good for them. To hear some of the sound bites (especially Becton), and the joy in their voices, you begin to understand the other side of this. No player or coach wants the stain of a winless season their record.

I understand and respect that this is not a popular opinion here. But, perspective. Did I want to have the ability to add Trevor Lawrence to the Jets? Yes, I did because it would have been interesting to watch and made a good storyline. Am I devastated that may now be diminishing as a possibility? No. It was long ago when sports results became an important factor in my order of priorities. 

That is just me, but again I preach perspective. Someone on this site had a baby yesterday. I am still very interested in how this team builds forward, and will have zeal in that process.

Good post, I try to remind myself that these guys are people too and nobody loves being a laughing stock.  They're out there trying to put a game on film, get another job, keep themselves in the league.  They dont care about TL or next year, there might not be a next year for some of these dudes...that is, unless they prove they belong.

Was it a kick in the nuts?  Yes.  Absolutely it was but that's what the Jets do.  

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Herbert > Tua and Burrow

Mahomes > Trubisky

The jets aren’t going to be good for a long time.  

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah....I'm not happy for them.  They've been awful all year - and one a game that put this franchise back a decade.

And then in post game interviews when asked about Jet fans wanting to lose - the joy in their voices (especially Bectons) about sticking it to the fans was sickening.  

It doesn't matter though.

as i said, a selfish win...and next year they'll be wondering why they suck, and the year after that all the rookies will be wanting out of the Jets' contracts. and the cycle continues....

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

actually feel good for them. To hear some of the sound bites (especially Becton), and the joy in their voices, you begin to understand the other side of this. No player or coach wants the stain of a winless season their record.

this     tank is a fan created verb that has nothing to do with the reality of pro sports competition.

there is no "race for the no 1 pick" teams dont want to be the worst in the league. much less winless.

for all those fans cheering when ruggs scores... ??  I'll take Mehki

image.png.e02467a7711cf460969f5303f305c02a.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I actually feel good for them. To hear some of the sound bites (especially Becton), and the joy in their voices, you begin to understand the other side of this. No player or coach wants the stain of a winless season on their record.

No you are not wrong. While it sucks that the Jets may not get Lawrence, if they don't get the pieces up on top right. (Head Coach, OC, DC) it wasn't going to matter anyway.

As long as the Johnsons are running this they were never going to get right anywho

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Yep. My father has COVID and is struggling a bit right now. Yesterday's game and this site are an escape for me. Losing out on Trevor Lawrence is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Prayers for your Dad, definitely keeps things in perspective.

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

this     tank is a fan created verb that has nothing to do with the reality of pro sports competition.

there is no "race for the no 1 pick" teams dont want to be the worst in the league. much less winless.

for all those fans cheering when ruggs scores... ??  I'll take Mehki

image.png.e02467a7711cf460969f5303f305c02a.png

Mehki will be out of NY in a seci, enjoy him for 2 more season as it's guranteed that he'll be looking for a way out like Jamal. What do you think Jamal whispered to him on the field? "You gotta get out of there bro."

Just now, shawn306 said:

No you are not wrong. While it sucks that the Jets may not get Lawrence, if they don't get the pieces up on top right. (Head Coach, OC, DC) it wasn't going to matter anyway.

As long as the Johnsons are running this they were never going to get right anywho

This is the biggest piece. Bigger than any player will ever be. Get an operational expert in here that knows the machinations of the sport, is well connected and give him autonomy and let Joe Douglas do his thing.

Straighten that out, and it is larger than Trevor Lawrence.

• Upvote 1