All the Jets mouthpieces are now advocating to not draft a QB stick with Darnold

Jetsbb

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He was playing the 2nd half with a bad hand/wrist plus the RB was shredding Northwestern , there was no need to pass. And Fields had 2 ints one where the wr stops and doesn't fight for the ball and the one where the DB made a fantastic one handed pick . 

Watch him in the cfb

The Ohio state line and skills are jacked 

Fields just sits there burping the baby

could get to 5 one thousand before he throws 

I do not know how slow reaction can be blamed on the wrist 

Unless he's taking a Favre level of painkillers 

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Watch him in the cfb

This will all come out in the pre draft process.  

30 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is it not a huge red flag that the team with the NFL's worst QB is selling the pick?

I'm not saying someone won't trade for it, but I wouldn't expect the RGIII package, or even close.

It's not a team selling the pick. It's Joe Douglas. We don't keep kicking off rebuilds by refusing to sh*t or get off the pot at quarterback because it's good for football.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Watch him in the cfb

Do you mean the OSU team that was missing 21 players due to covid including Olinemen and his best wr. Watch films of his earlier games this season you'll see he is very decisive and gets rid of the ball quickly. Let's take out 3/5ths of Clemson's Oline and their best wr and see what Lawrence does. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Do you mean the OSU team that was missing 21 players due to covid including Olinemen and his best wr. Watch films of his earlier games this season you'll see he is very decisive and gets rid of the ball quickly. Let's take out 3/5ths of Clemson's Oline and their best wr and see what Lawrence does. 

Fields was getting plenty of time. That's the problem he was writing war and peace ? there 

Just now, bitonti said:

Fields was getting plenty of time. That's the problem he was writing war and peace ? there 

Did you see how Northwestern was playing that game on D . They basically dropped everyone into coverage or alternatively sent overload blitzes which is why the OSU RB ran for over 300 yards . Most QB's would have similar stats to what Fields had in this scenario. But it seems like no one here ever takes games into full context , its either stats based or eye test based w/o out looking at the full picture. If a Jets RB ran for 300 yards because that's what the D was giving them would you bash Sam for only throwing for 100+ yards. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Did you see how Northwestern was playing that game on D . They basically dropped everyone into coverage or alternatively sent overload blitzes which is why the OSU RB ran for over 300 yards . Most QB's would have similar stats to what Fields had in this scenario. But it seems like no one here ever takes games into full context , its either stats based or eye test based w/o out looking at the full picture. If a Jets RB ran for 300 yards because that's what the D was giving them would you bash Sam for only throwing for 100+ yards. 

Dude it's fair to wonder if fields has an internal clock 

Especially after the last 3 Jets qb 

I do not care who it is as long as he gets it out in 2.5 seconds or less 

Fields is taking twice that long 

The zone defense northwestern throws at him doesn't mean that he is free to work without a clock 

23 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Didnt Tua pass for 125 (without Gilmore at CB) vs the Pats but ran in 2 TDs? Your right, perspective. 

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would have been all over that before this season. He has just been really bad. 

My biggest fear is his upside is closer to a game manager than a top 5 QB.  I think he can still be really good, but this year is hard to shake off.

That said if they get a coach that says he can win with him, trading from 2 to 5 or 6 gets them even more draft capital.

If Sam works very hard and diligently he may some day be the next Andy Dalton.  Excited?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

We all know Gase sucks and Sam's situation has been bad but I don't know how any who closely follows the Jets can think Sam is still the answer.

Sam's 5th year option makes this even more of a no-brainer that it's time to move on. Shortly after this spring's draft we have to decide if we're paying Sam about $25m to be our QB in 2022. We don't get any more evaluation time, we don't get to see him with new weapons and a new coach. He gets two more games under Gase and then we have to decide if he's going to be our starter for '21 AND that we're paying him roughly $25m for '22. It's similar to Trubisky's situation where the Bears declined his option. There is no way we're picking up that option.

By May we either have to have his replacement in the pipeline, be willing to sign a journeyman QB as a stop-gap starter, or take a big risk and tie up $25m for Darnold to be potentially still one of the worst starting QBs in the league. The latter is not going to happen.

Trade out of #2 and take Zach Wilson or draft Sewell and don't exercise Darnold's option and play it by ear. We all know that most of the game's best QBs were not Top 5 picks. Add more picks, evaluate that secondary QB prospects, and keeping adding young talent through the draft.

1 minute ago, oatmeal said:

Such a shame how much the jets are hated, first everyone was saying Trevor should avoid the Jets now we should keep darnold.

It really is comical. 

Last week: Trevor Lawrence should dodge the Jets! They don't deserve him! The NFL should no longer automatically give the top pick to the team with the worst record because the Jets got the pick!

This week: hahahaha, the Jets won a meaningless game and now they lose Trevor! Losers!!!!!!!!!!

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Such a shame how much the jets are hated, first everyone was saying Trevor should avoid the Jets now we should keep darnold.

my only question is who is behind this campaign to keep us in the nfls gutter?

The media first and foremost and the SOJF mentality that "follows" the team. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, y2k8 said:

Fact Check: They won 7 last year with Darnold (missing games) and Gase as coach. 

3-2 was against the bottom 5 teams in the NFL and the final 2 wins of our season were against the Bills who rested their starters and the Steelers with a 3rd string QB.

I want to be optimistic but using last year's record is not the way to do it.

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Anyone looking for a QB who likes Fields or Wilson. If I had to guess:

• Lions
  • Panthers
  • Washington Football Team
  • Cowboys
  • Falcons
  • 49ers
  • Saints will be quite the stretch to trade up from where they’ll be drafting
  • Bears
  • Vikings
  • Colts
  • Raiders

All it takes is one team to like either prospect and jump up ahead of the line. We might even be able to trade down twice. I say stock those picks, use the 2022 excess to replace Sam then if he still sucks

Winston in FA or Wentz in a trade is a way better option than Fields.  Not to mention there are a bunch of other 1st round grade qbs

We are getting d_ck for Justin Fields in a trade down.

2 hours ago, genot said:

Did Sam just learn this week to get rid of the ball quickly, and throw to his backs. Something that should have been in the gameplan all year, was there yesterday. Blame Gase, not Sam. 

Gase used Ty Johnson alot yesterday and it immediately paid off.  Gase is an idiot.  Gore is too slow to make plays in space at this stage of his career either as a runner or receiver.  All he can do is grind out 2-3 years between the tackles that's it and Gase has been using him like a bellcow the entire year.  Gase is a disaster.

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

3-2 was against the bottom 5 teams in the NFL and the final 2 wins of our season were against the Bills who rested their starters and the Steelers with a 3rd string QB.

I want to be optimistic but using last year's record is not the way to do it.

Sam would have won both games against the Bills last season if they didn't sign a completely useless FG kicker who couldn't put the ball in the ocean week 1.  The same Bills team everyone can't stop chugging now.

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sam would have won both games against the Bills last season if they didn't sign a completely useless FG kicker who couldn't put the ball in the ocean week 1.  The same Bills team everyone can't stop chugging now.

The second game was against backups and he put up 13 points 

He put up 16 points in the first game. That’s barely a winning performance.

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Sam is super good if you ignore that he’s bad 80% of the time

Want to play a fun game? Guess these QBs. In 10 games this year QB A has 6Tds to 9Ints, 1,767 yards and a 70.1 rating. In 10 games this year QB B has 12 Tds to 12 Ints, 2,437 yards and an 84.1 rating. Who are the QBs?

QB A is Sam Darnold drafted #3 overall 2018

QB B is Nick Mullens UDFA 2017 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Want to play a fun game? Guess these QBs. In 10 games this year QB A has 6Tds to 9Ints, 1,767 yards and a 70.1 rating. In 10 games this year QB B has 12 Tds to 12 Ints, 2,437 yards and an 84.1 rating. Who are the QBs?

QB A is Sam Darnold drafted #3 overall 2018

QB B is Nick Mullens UDFA 2017 

If Gardner Minshew was our QB the Darnold fans would be building a bust in Canton and clamoring to trade 1 overall. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

I never understood how nfl teams preach competition at every spot and then coronate the qb1 for years at a time 

Let them compete and if Sam can't win out vs Morgan and a vet, than he doesn't deserve to start 

This type of thing wouldn't fly at defensive end or whatever. You produce or you get benched. The jets let qb 1 be too comfortable for way too long. 

Agree with this. One thing I’d like to see from Douglas is more churn in the QB room. Getting the guy is always partially a function of luck (taking a 4th-round flyer on Russell Wilson), but also of resources (churning through Matt Hasselbeck, Charlie Whitehurst, Tarvaris Jackson, and Matt Flynn along the way). The Jets have invested a lot of resources too, but only in terms of quality, not quantity. The last three GMs all drafted a guy in the first or second and then did basically nothing else. If we do end up at 2, next training camp needs to be Darnold vs. Morgan vs. vet FA vs. draft pick.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Getting the guy is always partially a function of luck (taking a 4th-round flyer on Russell Wilson), but also of resources (churning through Matt Hasselbeck, Charlie Whitehurst, Tarvaris Jackson, and Matt Flynn along the way).

Now that I think about it, an even better example of this phenomenon would be...Douglas’s most recent employer.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

The Jets have invested a lot of resources too, but only in terms of quality, not quantity. The last three GMs all drafted a guy in the first or second and then did basically nothing else. If we do end up at 2, next training camp needs to be Darnold vs. Morgan vs. vet FA vs. draft pick.

and to add, look how much better Aaron Rodgers is playing just with the threat of Jordan Love 

• Upvote 1