All the Jets mouthpieces are now advocating to not draft a QB stick with Darnold

Jetsbb

14 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Once you use a set of numbers to quantify an opinion they are no longer objective.  They are only objective as numbers.  It's using them where objectivity goes out the window.  

Ok, fair. 

I think Sam has been a bad QB this year, by any reasonable standard. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think it's a reasonable notion, but not necessarily from the standpoint of trying to turn Darnold around.

Unless you are certain Fields or Wilson is "the guy" I can understand the thought process of wanting to build up the rest of the roster first before diving into the QB pool again for a few reasons.

First and foremost, does it make sense to start over that rookie QB contract when the rest of the roster isn't likely quite ready to competet?  I think arguments can be made both ways.

Second, and I know this is a delicate subject, but do you want to risk handcuffing a QBs development by throwing them in to a bottom feeding roster?  I know viewpoints differ on this greatly, but I think most would agree that having a good roster at least elevates the floor of any QB.  So what is the correct roster build?  Get the QB first and figure out the rest later?  Or get a solid foundation first so that most any QB can at least be functional?  I'm not sure which route I think is best.

that was interesting. It was like all the shouting children left the party and wnet to sleep and I was left talking with a grown up about football.

to me Wilson has become very intriguing...  and he gets a bowl game too.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A reasonable opinion based solely on the eye test.  

I wouldn't say "solely" on the eye test. 

The eye test is corroborated by Sam's consistently poor production, compared not only to every other starting QB in the league (you can argue that Sam has the worst situation), but also to his backup (who has as many TD passes in a handful of starts as Sam has amassed all season). 

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A reasonable opinion based solely on the eye test.  

Did Sam just learn this week to get rid of the ball quickly, and throw to his backs. Something that should have been in the gameplan all year, was there yesterday. Blame Gase, not Sam. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I wouldn't say "solely" on the eye test. 

The eye test is corroborated by Sam's consistently poor production, compared not only to every other starting QB in the league (you can argue that Sam has the worst situation), but also to his backup (who has as many TD passes in a handful of starts as Sam has amassed all season). 

Interesting fact about Flacco.  He completed 65% of his passes last year with Denver.  He's around 55% with the Jets which is lower than Sam's astounding 59.7 under very similar conditions.  Granted Sam also has a win over a contending team.  Not that stats are objective.  

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Did Sam just learn this week to get rid of the ball quickly, and throw to his backs. Something that should have been in the gameplan all year, was there yesterday. Blame Gase, not Sam. 

Gase just put together a game plan that beat the Rams, coached by boy genius, contending for their division.   I'm guessing the answer to your rhetorical question is yes.  

43 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Why would they have a worse record than last year if they have a capable coaching staff and more talent? Even if Darnold is nothing more than a game manager to say the team would be tanking is ridiculous.  

The coaching staff that got 7 wins is the same one that is 1-13

I've been wondering for weeks if the Jets might use the prospect of getting a new QB to convince Darnold to sign an extension at a team-friendly rate.

Jets can say to Darnold: "Sam, we believe in you but we haven't seen enough from you yet. We are willing to give you a nice new deal, with generous incentives, that will pay you like a top QB if you perform like one. But we can't give you the type of guarantees that recent QB deals have contained".

If Sam truly believes in himself, he might go for it.  Or he might be insulted and wait for FA after next season, if the Jets don't pick up his 5th year option (which would come with a very hefty price tag).

Douglas has said he wants Darnold to be around for a long time. We should find out soon if that was true, or just GM talk.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I would have been all over that before this season. He has just been really bad. 

My biggest fear is his upside is closer to a game manager than a top 5 QB.  I think he can still be really good, but this year is hard to shake off.

That said if they get a coach that says he can win with him, trading from 2 to 5 or 6 gets them even more draft capital.

At this point his ceiling is game manager and if there is any QB with a higher potential/ceiling than in the draft we need to draft him

I know Douglas will stick with Darnold. From his comments during his presser to the way he operates. He wants to build through the draft and knowing all the holes he will want to trade down and stockpile picks. I don't think anyone will give up a haul for Fields or Wilson so this idea of trading down is not realistic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Because teams are QB crazy and are always looking to find their guy.

All it takes is one GM or HC to love Fields or Wilson (and trust me there will be some) and they will pull the trigger.

Is it not a huge red flag that the team with the NFL's worst QB is selling the pick?

I'm not saying someone won't trade for it, but I wouldn't expect the RGIII package, or even close.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell any team gives up a kings ransom for Justin Fields. 

I just don't see it happening. 

I could be wrong. 

If a team sitting between 5-10 gives us something similar to what we gave for Darnold I’d be pretty happy with that.

But to me the more appealing option is a team that’s between 10-20 who usually doesn’t have top 5 picks and figures they’ll jump up to get someone while they can this year. Who knows, but I expect someone to take a chance.

5 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is it not a huge red flag that the team with the NFL's worst QB is selling the pick?

I'm not saying someone won't trade for it, but I wouldn't expect the RGIII package, or even close.

No I’m definitely not expecting that either, but definitely something good. I’d be all for a 2022 1st and 2021 2nd and a 2021 mid rounder if a team in the teens is looking to jump up to #2.

This is really going to depend on what the new coach thinks of Darnold. If he thinks he’s a prisoner of Gase Pen, we trade down, or take the OL beast from Oregon at 2 and build around Sam.

If he thinks Sam’s done...well then HOPEFULLY we take Zach Wilson.

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

If a team sitting between 5-10 gives us something similar to what we gave for Darnold I’d be pretty happy with that.

But to me the more appealing option is a team that’s between 10-20 who usually doesn’t have top 5 picks and figures they’ll jump up to get someone while they can this year. Who knows, but I expect someone to take a chance.

I might  trade the #2 pick in the draft for a #6 pick and 3-2nd round picks 

We need immediate impact players who will make a difference on this roster. 

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

No I’m definitely not expecting that either, but definitely something good. I’d be all for a 2022 1st and 2021 2nd and a 2021 mid rounder if a team in the teens is looking to jump up to #2.

I think this is wishful thinking.  Hope I'm wrong.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I might  trade the #2 pick in the draft for a #6 pick and 3-2nd round picks 

We need immediate impact players who will make a difference on this roster. 

Yup I like this plan a lot. I think Sam still has a chance to be the guy we all thought he could be. But we really need the right coach and obviously infusion of real talent around him.

Zach Wilson I think is going to be really good too and is just a real naturally gifted passer. I’ve really soured on Fields.

15 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

It definitely is, but teams vary widely scouting QBs. 

It's very likely at least a handful of GMs like Fields. Some teams thought Trubisky was clearly the best QB in the 2017 draft and others thought Watson or Mahomes were the best. We just need a few Fields fans. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Saying fields is not a nfl qb is exaggeration 

But he looked so bad vs northwestern. Like 5 seconds to make a terrible decision 

It actually got to the point where Ohio state wouldn't throw a pass. Because fields was throwing ints like crazy 

It's easy to see how this dude busts. Great athlete but I don't know what he's looking at reading defenses 

He was playing the 2nd half with a bad hand/wrist plus the RB was shredding Northwestern , there was no need to pass. And Fields had 2 ints one where the wr stops and doesn't fight for the ball and the one where the DB made a fantastic one handed pick .