Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

12 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

We should take a guy who developed a QB into a stud. That would be Daboll. 

I have a hard time getting behind Lewis, I don't see Campbell coming out of college for us when he's turned down the NFL multiple times. Daboll is the guy I want.

- Weaken a division rival

- 5 Super Bowls & 1 NCAA National Championship

- Has been with the Jets in the past

- Basically looks like Douglas' twin

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Tim Beckman was 14-2 in conference play in the 2 seasons proceeding Campbell at Toledo.  Crediting Campbell for building Toledo is silly.  Toledo is also not a perennial poor MAC program.  They have had several successful runs in the last 20 years.

Campbell has done a good job at Iowa State.  It just so happens to coincide with a time that the Big 12 is arguably the worst it's ever been.  That's not his issue though.  He's built Iowa State into a respectable program.  Iowa State has had other flare ups in the not distant past, but Campbell has probably had the most consistent run there. I just don't think most people understand how they have gone about it.  Iowa State is a running game, strong defense, Ball control program. Conservative.  Most people, maybe some that even think they want Campbell, usually scoff at that philosophy. They are the antithesis of everything the Big 12 is.  That's what Campbell is smart for. 

I just find it odd how Lewis gets no credit for building a culture or program in Cincinnati based on where they were before he got there.  

The "culture" that you speak of was leading the league in players arrested and that winning culture led to as many playoff wins as any of us will have as a head coach.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The stars are truly lining up perfectly...

For me to become a Jaguars fan. 

?

I’ll be in Jacksonville tomorrow night to visit family. Their long snapper is my mom’s next door neighbor. Plus I’m a big wrestling fan and Tony Khan owns and started AEW so it just seems too perfect for me. I’ll get to root for Trevor Lawrence after all mwahahahaha!!!!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Does JD have any say in who the next coach will be? Why o why would you hone in on Lewis when Campbell, Fitzgerald, Daboll, and Smith will be available?? 

All I can say is if they hire either Lewis or Fitzgerald they better be bringing in a progressive mind for OC , if not we'll be back to the Herm, Bowles, Rex  3 yards and a cloud of dust football. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

The only vet I’m trading for is Dak.  Stafford is too old and injury prone.  His playing through injuries worked in Detroit, in NY he’ll be out 6-8 weeks.  

Dak is a very different commitment than Stafford.  Stafford is a 2 year solution.  Dak you're giving the new, big contract to.

Just now, Pennington said:

The team that trades for Stafford should be a playoff caliber team with a mediocre or worse QB. Rebuilding teams should never trade for a veteran QB with only a few years left in their career.

With Stafford, and 2 first round picks and an early 2nd, and free agency, we can compete in the AFCE.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

See above in my response.  The short version is I do think he's a good coach.  I think it's a bit overblown how good, but he is a good coach.  That said, if anyone is against say Pat Fitzgerald because of the style of his teams, they should be against Campbell.  Fitzgerald is a better coach than Campbell.  

I personally want neither of them. Give me Joe Brady along with Zach Wilson and lets pretend that offense is what wins games.

3 minutes ago, Pennington said:

The team that trades for Stafford should be a playoff caliber team with a mediocre or worse QB. Rebuilding teams should never trade for a veteran QB with only a few years left in their career.

Call me nuts, but don't the Rams fall into that category? I think Goff is horrible.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

That's a very good point. BTW.  You don't survive a top 6 QB miss.  If Douglas has any kind if success with Darnold, he wins a second contract.

With today's rookie contracts  capped that's a fallacy . You miss this year , you try again next year. Also you probably won't be able to draft in the top 5 going forward making pushing the QB pick down the line increasingly more costly. 

42 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I can not believe we are actually considering Marvin Lewis. He is Gase 2.0

Please. Lewis didn't alienate players, and had a solid record despite working for a team with arguably worse ownership than ours. And he did it with Andy Friggin' Dalton as his QB.

He isn't my first choice, but I would be ok with it if they hired him.

As far as taking Sewell goes, if that happens there's nothing saying they can't take Kyle Trask late in the first or early in the second to groom for the job while giving Sam one last chance to prove himself.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

With today's rookie contracts  capped that's a fallacy . You miss this year , you try again next year. Also you probably won't be able to draft in the top 5 going forward making pushing the QB pick down the line increasingly more costly. 

I really don’t see how douglas can bypass all these qbs and stick with darnold.  Truth i think all this ‘we love darnold’ sentiment is being promulgated simply to inflate his trade value.  Douglas sung adams’ praises until he dealt him too .

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I really don’t see how douglas can bypass all these qbs and stick with darnold.  Truth i think all this ‘we love darnold’ sentiment is being promulgated simply to inflate his trade value.  Douglas sung adams’ praises until he dealt him too .

I think its true or we would have done whatever was necessary to lose out. Once we were 0-10 there was no reason why we shouldn't have given Morgan the starting QB job to ensure the winless season. Clearly Douglas doesn't care that we are missing out on Lawrence.

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Some reeeeally great stuff here that I can certainly backup based on what I’ve heard.

Some notes:

•  If Pat Fitzgerald takes any job, I believe it will be Chicago.  I’m not holding my breath that he comes here.  Honestly, I’m ok with this.  I do have concerns with him and his offensive philosophy.

•  You nailed it on the JD-Sam dynamic.  He loves the kid.  A while back (off-season) I felt that I had been wrong about that because of how little he spent on certain positions, but I was assured that this was more to do with the fact that the landscape of Douglas’s FA plan changed with missing out on Thuney.  Adding more to the Sam discussion, yeah, the fact that JD could be fired if he jumps the gun on  a prospect is huge, as you said.

•  Campbell.  I hope they can land him.  Nothing was guaranteed, even with Lawrence, but there is definitely a chance.  I’m hoping...and I mean hoping...JD can land him.

•  Even with our reputation, I think there is still some situations we are better than (DET and Houston).  Yes you get Watson, but the cupboard is very bare there and the GM situation is an absolute nightmare.  ATL is the one that scares me a little bit, believe it or not. 

•  I haven’t heard much about the positional coaching issue, however, I can admit, we haven’t discussed it much yet as the HC situation is still unresolved.  A guy like Marvin certainly helps you there if that’s the case.  Definitely makes the interest seem a lot more reasonable.

•  Ive been saying for a year now that Harbaugh and JD wouldn’t be a good match for the exact reason you stated.  Feels great to finally have someone agree with me on that.

•  I’ve had it stressed to me that this ship will 125% be steered by Joe Douglas.  Ownership will absolutely sit in, but the decision will, ultimately, be his.  That makes me feel a lot better.

image.png.1fb12a6fd5d7897f5b48208209a667b6.png

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dak will be a free agent in 2021 probably franchised tagged. 

Correct me if i'm wrong. 

So you would give up a #1 pick for him. 

You’re probably right on the franchise tag aspect.  You wouldn’t give up Seattle’s 1st for dak?  If you aren’t comfortable with fields or wilson, he’s your guy.  5k passing yards is something I’d like to see in Ny.

6 minutes ago, Pennington said:

I think its true or we would have done whatever was necessary to lose out. Once we were 0-10 there was no reason why we shouldn't have given Morgan the starting QB job to ensure the winless season. Clearly Douglas doesn't care that we are missing out on Lawrence.

Perhaps, but i wouldn’t bet my career on darnold becoming a quality starter, for the jets or elsewhere.  There are but few instances where qbs suck their first 3 years and really turn it around to become decent, let alone good.  And most years there’s a qb who is drafted who becomes decent or good.  Odds favor taking the new qb.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Sewell is the pick. Even if you don't get to a Super Bowl in 5 years you could trade 1 of these stud tackles. Sign Thuney & Lindsey, move McGovern to RG, trade or cut Fant & save 8 million. You start that way BEFORE the draft & you can kick azz with Seattle pick, #33 & two 3rds! 

You would come out of the gate in 2021 with probably the best Oline in football! Becton in his 2nd year, Thuney, Lindsey, McGovern or Clark (they fight it out in camp & Sewell! How would you like to be a QB or a RB behind that Oline? If we didn't have Seattles pick, you might trade back but we have to hit on that high of a pick! Plus, you save 8 million on Fanta contract & give it to Lindsey! + only 2 million more. Veterans + young Studs = nasty Oline. 

Boom. Every other resource can now go towards weapons, Edge & CBs with all of your late picks starting at the top of the 3rd your LBs, TE? Ect.

If we sign Thuney AND Lindsey while Aldo getting Sewell, we’d have the best OL in football. Period. Get one of the top WR in FA and we’d have something a QB can grow in (whether it’s Darnold or a 2022 1st rounder.

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  I just got finished up with the more prominent source who is very connected to the league in order to kinda get a second word on this and can now confirm it.  From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell and Pat Fitzgerald, but are not sure if they will leave the college ranks, especially without Lawrence.  Other names who we’ve talked, and I have mentioned before, are Greg Roman, Brian Daboll, and Joe Brady (least likely as of today).  Personally, I’d like to see Arthur Smith thrown in there too.  I believe he will be.  A dark horse discussed was Jim Harbaugh, who Woody loves, and has loved for a long time.  However, I don’t believe he leaves Michigan (yes @Defense Wins Championships, as much as I don’t love the idea, there is a chance).

The more prominent guy basically parroted what I’ve been hearing since last year and throughout this season.  The league is MUCH, and I can’t stress that enough, higher on Sam than the fans and such are, which is a big driving force behind the “give Sam one last ride” idea.  While it’s obviously very early and almost everything I’m saying right now as of today can change, the league view on every guy not named Trevor is not favorable.  Fields is most people’s number 2, with Wilson rising, but that is more of an indictment on what Fields has put on tape this season.  The consensus among the league is that Sam can absolutely be salvaged with the right talent + coaching, and that they actually view that as the scenario that would yield more rewards than drafting Fields, Lance, Wilson, etc.  Personally, I don’t know how I feel about that, but I’m not the one who is making that decision so I try and remove myself from that headspace.  Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.  The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.  They went as far as to say that they believe he is more fixable and moldable than Tannehill was coming out of Miami.  Obviously Gase was discussed and they could not stress enough how awful he is scheme-wise.  What he does is not “QB friendly” by any stretch of the imagination.  From the limitations on audibles (QB sneak-gate was a big example of this) all the way to route combinations.  The guy just doesn’t understand how to help his players, particularly his signal caller.  

Getting back to the draft, as of today (and of course this can change with big performances from a QB like Fields in the playoffs, more extensive film study, and whiteboard work at the combine, etc.) the thinking, not just with us, is that the QBs in this class not named Lawrence are not worth getting fired over.  There is less risk with giving Sam one last ride than associating yourself with, say, Zach Wilson, a BYU QB who lights up UCF and teams of that ilk, for the foreseeable future.  Especially if you think Sam can still reach his full potential, which was thought to be very high.  Of course we discussed the chance that a team like Denver, Chicago, Pitt, etc. blows JD away with a trade for Sam as well.  It’s unlikely, but will be something to monitor. 

While this news may not thrill many of you, both my source and the prominent person I spoke to in order to further confirm this, have done everything to back me off the “I can’t believe Douglas would do this, what a nightmare” ledge.  They stressed that he will get this team on the right track, one way or another, and that he is the real deal.  I was nervous to post this because the whole process is early, fluid, and I have no idea what type of information I will get as things change, but I always told you guys that I would be upfront with the information I could share and I will stick to that.  

This is the post of 2020. Thank you for sharing.

To the point on drafting a QB with the 2nd pick not named Trevor Lawrence, you cannot understate the significance to JD's own career. 

People on this board constantly talk about resetting the clock with the QB. Personally I think it's an overrated concept, but why would JD essentially START the clock on himself by taking a flyer on a QB given all that this team needs. By not going all in on a QB now, he extends his time horizon. The good news is that IF JD does take a QB there, he absolutely believes the guy is the truth. 

I also wonder if JD prefers not to have the #1 pick because it very well may be a faster path to organizational success. At #1 you have to take TL. At #2 you have a world of options. For a guy building a franchise from the ground up, it could be preferable.

And in a long view, as a GM, he obviously gets more credit if he wins a SB that way.   

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Pennington said:

Hoping for a Jags win which would pretty much be a miracle but assuming we are picking 2nd I am going with Wilson. I think he has Rodgers like qualities and the big arm necessary to thrive in cold and windy weather. As for Darnold I think there is a good chance that he can be salvaged but I am a bit iffy on that and I think he will need a star coach like Shanahan or Payton to get it out of him.

If they pick Wilson i'm taking my ball and going home - wah wah wah . In all seriousness I'm ok with Fields or Wilson but much rather Fields.

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

The post of the season.

Thanks for this, Mogglez. After reading that I feel like there’s a competent hand at the wheel.

I’m comfortable with most of those coaching candidates and think it’s a terrible idea to draft any QB not named Trevor Lawrence and throw them into this talentless offense. 

The only thing not mentioned was our approach to free agency, which I hope is aggressive.  

Anyways, Merry Christmas and thanks for the good news.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

I also wonder if JD prefers not to have the #1 pick because it very well may be a faster path to organizational success. At #1 you have to take TL. At #2 you have a world of options. For a guy building a franchise from the ground up, it could be preferable.

Make it stop

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Great stuff! As for the Darnold vs. Fields / Wilson debate:

- Trading down from 2 will net you far more than just trade Darnold.

- If the long-term projection of Darnold/Fields/Wilson is similar then I fully expect us to run it back with Sam.

- There is so much less risk with the 1 year left with Darnold vs swinging for the fences on Fields or Wilson. 

- What the new HC thinks is going to be huge, but if Douglas has a strong opinion about what to do with Darnold, does that factor into who he ultimately hires?

Good points

1 minute ago, y2k8 said:

This is the post of 2020. Thank you for sharing.

To the point on drafting a QB with the 2nd pick not named Trevor Lawrence, you cannot understate the significance to JD's own career. 

People on this board constantly talk about resetting the clock with the QB. Personally I think it's an overrated concept, but why would JD essentially START the clock on himself by taking a flyer on a QB given all that this team needs. By not going all in on a QB now, he extends his time horizon. The good news is that IF JD does take a QB there, he absolutely believes the guy is the truth. 

Douglas likes draft picks, we see this.  If he trades back from 2 and gets more picks he’d be setting up the team to draft a qb in 2022 but he’d take crap if fields or Wilson is good and darnold sucks again.  I don’t think darnold will ‘be salvaged’.  He can play better with a better coach and supporting cast but i don’t see top 10 or even top 15.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Douglas likes draft picks, we see this.  If he trades back from 2 and gets more picks he’d be setting up the team to draft a qb in 2022 but he’d take crap if fields or Wilson is good and darnold sucks again.  I don’t think darnold will ‘be salvaged’.  He can play better with a better coach and supporting cast but i don’t see top 10 or even top 15.  

I disagree. His plan would clearly be building the foundation and adding THE QB the next year or year after. He has a 6 year contract. He has a longer view to this - and if the jets are competing for a championship in 3-4 years, what Fields and Wilson are doing will be largely irrelevant.