Some news...for those who are interested...

Mogglez

23 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You're a Jets fan and not familiar with the Twilight zone? Are you from another planet?

The issue isn't the twilight zone.  The issue is what it had to do with my post.

Also, the episode in question (I think) has been around more than two decades more than I have.

Another aspect to the offseason that will directly impact the Jets that isn’t discussed enough is how the Eagles moves will directly impact the Jets offseason plans. 

First, the Wentz situation. A trade has become more and more likely. No NFL team has ever paid a player $30+ million to play for another team, but these are unprecedented times which will result in unprecedented transactions. It’s hard to ignore how well Hurts has played, and Wentz is wearing out his welcome in that locker room. They incur a huge loss yes, but given how the ramifications of the pandemic will likely span for 2-3 years, they could be willing to rip off the bandaid now, acquire cheap talent via draft picks, and reset the books for 2022. By trading Wentz before the 3rd day of the league year they have $33m dead (save $850k against the cap). If they wait until after, that number becomes $42m dead ($9m cap it). The kicker: his contract would be bottom half among starters for the acquiring team, with 2021-22 guaranteed and 2023-24. They will be motivated to act fast and trade to a team like the Colts, who are not shy about paying QBs (both Rivers and Brissett making +$25m) will act. Will there be more suitors for Darnold if they decided to trade him? Sure- the Redskins, Broncos, and 49ers will still be interested, but it eliminates one of the more likely destinations. 

Second, they will still be between $60-70 million over the cap with very limited contracts that don’t carry dead money. Again, being that they will be carrying so much dead money, they will need cheap talent (draft picks), which is why some surprising names will be for sale. As we’ve come to learn, Joe Douglas has a habit of acquiring talent he’s familiar with. Some people say this is because his roots are in college scouting, and he doesn’t like making big investments in players he doesn’t know or can’t trust. Keeping that in mind, the top player who gives the Eagles the most cap relief and least dead money? Derek Barnett, who was a Joe Douglas pick (yes, he was... Howie had final say but it was Joe’s player). Barnett has played well and under normal conditions the Eagles would extend him, but these aren’t normal conditions. An extension means little up front and a bloated contract in 2022, which they can’t handle. Why? Despite creating room in 2022 by moving Wentz, they will eat it all back up after restructuring contracts and post June-1 cuts/trades. Jets will be in on him. Other names: Alshon Jeffery, Andre Dillard, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Nathan GerryZach Ertz, Fletcher Cox, and Brandon Graham. If they play their cards right, they can acquire what is likely to be two 2’s for Carson, a 3 for Barnett, a 3 for Ertz, a 3-4 for Dillard, a 5-6 for Gerry, a 7 for JJAW, a 2022 2-3 for Cox, and a 2022 4-5 for Graham. Some of these trades wouldn’t save them money, however, the Eagles could look to recoup a pick for Dillard with Mailata developing and reinvest elsewhere on the roster for a player who they’ll have under contract cheaply for 4 years. 

Ultimately, the Eagles will be in for a wild ride, and their moves will likely directly impact the Jets off season.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why don’t we like Marvin Lewis as a HC again? Can someone easily explain besides saying “lol never won in the playoffs”??

We could do a lot worse but it's hard to get excited about him for the reason you sited. I mean - the point is to win championships which you don't get to play in unless you win playoff games first. 

0-7 is pretty rough.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why don’t we like Marvin Lewis as a HC again? Can someone easily explain besides saying “lol never won in the playoffs”??

I think fans are looking for someone more exciting/new/refreshing, and Marvin Lewis is a "boring" pick that doesn't inspire anyone.

Yes, most fans desperately crave the new "flavor of the month" guy, especially this fanbase and this board specifically lol

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Marvin Lewis never won a playoff game with The Bengals, so it is impossible for him to win a playoff game for any team for the rest of eternity. Also, Mike McCarthy is a good coach and should have been hired because he won ONE super bowl with arguably the most talented QB in decades. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We could do a lot worse but it's hard to get excited about him for the reason you sited. I mean - the point is to win championships which you don't get to play in unless you win playoff games first. 

0-7 is pretty rough.

It’s also hard to get there in the first place. 

Andy Reid didn’t win a championship with the Eagles. Didn’t make him a bad coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

It’s also hard to get there in the first place. 

Andy Reid didn’t win a championship with the Eagles. Didn’t make him a bad coach. 

You're right it's hard to get there and he did a good job in Cinci getting there. Like I said, we could do a lot worse, it's just hard to get excited about a guy who hasn't even been able to win a single playoff game in 7 attempts.

Reid won a sh*tload of playoff games in Philly.

• Upvote 2

Fascinating write up!

What is interesting though is that with the new rules to start interviewing virtually Marvin has now visited the Texans.  

Your sources did not mention why then have not fired Gase already to give the team an opportunity to interview early?

Recent rumblings about Ravens Defensive coordinator Wink Martindale as potential coach as well.

Im trusting JD will build the O Line similar to the Cowboys offensive line of the 90's.  Im fine with keeping Sam.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're right it's hard to get there and he did a good job in Cinci getting there. Like I said, we could do a lot worse, it's just hard to get excited about a guy who hasn't even been able to win a single playoff game in 7 attempts.

You just said the point is to win a championship. He didn’t do that. 

20 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He coached teams with a continuing list of character issues and seemed to take the todd bowles boys will be boys tact.  And never won in the playoffs just happens to be a an issue, believe it or not.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Would you be ok with hiring Fisher?

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Plus Marvin Lewis was a DC.  How does that help Sam and our anemic offense?  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

You just said the point is to win a championship. He didn’t do that. 

I also said before you can win a championship you have to win playoff games. Reid knocked on the door of the Superbowl many times in Philly and won 10 playoff games there. 

Lewis hasn't sniffed a Superbowl and has been a massive failure in the playoffs. Doesn't make him a bad coach but some guys are just chokers.

edit: I just want to add, here are my thoughts on Reid before he won a ring.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

The issue isn't the twilight zone.  The issue is what it had to do with my post.

Also, the episode in question (I think) has been around more than two decades more than I have.

You’re a bright chap. Figure it out. And Rod Serling is timeless. 
The Rip Van Winkle Caper 1961

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He coached teams with a continuing list of character issues and seemed to take the todd bowles boys will be boys tact.  And never won in the playoffs just happens to be a an issue, believe it or not.

Wonder if that would still be a thing here. JD seems to only go after team captains, leaders, etc. 

I do agree that boys will be boys bs is a bad trait. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

You leave my boi Chris Henry out of this. He was a saint - RIP

Criminal history and suspensionEdit

On December 15, 2005, Henry was pulled over in northern Kentucky for speeding. During a search, marijuana was found in his shoes. He was also driving without a valid driver's license or valid insurance.[20] He pleaded guilty and avoided a jail sentence.

One month later, on January 30, 2006, he was arrested in Orlando, Florida for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm.[21] He was reported to have been wearing his #15 Bengals jersey at the time of his arrest. He pleaded guilty to this charge and avoided jail time.

On April 29, 2006 Henry allowed three females under the legal drinking age (ages 18, 16 and 15) to consume alcohol at a hotel in Covington, Kentucky.[22] One of the three, an 18-year-old woman, accused Henry of sexually assaulting her; she later retracted her story and was charged with filing a false police report.[23]

Henry was pulled over on Interstate 275 in Ohio on June 3, 2006 at 1:18 a.m. by Ohio Highway Patrol trooper Michael Shimko for suspected drunk driving. He voluntarily submitted to a breathalyzer test at 2:06 A.M. at the Milford Police Department and registered a .092 blood-alcohol level, .012 above the level permitted in the state of Ohio.[24]

On October 6, 2006 Henry was suspended by the NFL for two games for violating the league's substance abuse and personal conduct policies. NFL policies forbade Henry from taking part in practices; however, he was allowed to attend any team meetings. Henry missed the Bengals' October 15, 2006 game at Tampa Bay and their October 22, 2006 home game versus Carolina.[25]

On January 25, 2007, Henry pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor violation of a city ordinance commonly referred to as a "keg law." He was sentenced to 90 days in jail, with all but two of those days being suspended.[22]

In April 2007, Henry was suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season for violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.[13] His suspension on the 10th came with a stern warning that future misconduct may result in the end of his career with the NFL. Henry was given permission by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to begin practicing fully.[26] His suspension was lifted and he played in the November 11, 2007 game versus the Baltimore Ravens, amassing 4 catches for 99 yards.

Henry allegedly assaulted a valet attendant at Newport on the Levee in Newport, Kentucky on November 6, 2007.[27] He was arrested for a second time in Orlando on December 3 for violating his probation he was on from a January 30, 2006 arrest. On February 21, 2008, he was found not guilty.

On March 31, 2008, Henry punched a man named Gregory Meyer, 18, in the face and threw a beer bottle through the window of his car. Henry claimed it was a case of mistaken identity and that he thought it was somebody else that owed him money.[28] Henry was waived by the Bengals a day after this arrest and was then served a house arrest sentence

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

In all honesty if the Jets are looking for a Marvin Lewis, Jeff Fisher long in the tooth type that's just desperate to coach again then just hire Mike Shanahan. He's infinitely better than Lewis or Fisher.

I wouldn't head down the retread road but Shanahan would be far better than Lewis. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

To avoid making a long post even longer and making a longer introduction, many of you know that I have a source within the organization.  Many here can confirm this.  My source and I have been discussing the Jets since Sunday and where they go from here and he dropped some tidbits on me that I’ve had confirmed to me by a second, more prominent, source and am now ready to share with all of you as I’ve been given the “ok”...so here we go:

My guy is pretty certain that if the Jets don’t go QB, that they will either go Sewell and build around Sam for one more “do or die” season, or they will look to trade down.  However, JD really loves Sewell and a trade may be hard to pull off (although this was all discussed before Cincinnati won and dropped themselves in the draft, so that could change given how much the Bengals want and, quite frankly, need him).  I was also told that Zach Wilson is likely a long shot to be the selection and Douglas, if he goes QB, is more likely to go Fields.  The team is high on Justin.  There is, obviously, still a ton of work to be done however.

The most disheartening news that he spilled though is yes, for those who have been keeping tabs on what I said in another thread earlier, there are legitimate rumblings that Marvin Lewis might get a serious look at Head Coach.  I just got finished up with the more prominent source who is very connected to the league in order to kinda get a second word on this and can now confirm it.  From what I was told, they’re still going to swing for the fences with Matt Campbell and Pat Fitzgerald, but are not sure if they will leave the college ranks, especially without Lawrence.  Other names who we’ve talked, and I have mentioned before, are Greg Roman, Brian Daboll, and Joe Brady (least likely as of today).  Personally, I’d like to see Arthur Smith thrown in there too.  I believe he will be.  A dark horse discussed was Jim Harbaugh, who Woody loves, and has loved for a long time.  However, I don’t believe he leaves Michigan (yes @Defense Wins Championships, as much as I don’t love the idea, there is a chance).

The more prominent guy basically parroted what I’ve been hearing since last year and throughout this season.  The league is MUCH, and I can’t stress that enough, higher on Sam than the fans and such are, which is a big driving force behind the “give Sam one last ride” idea.  While it’s obviously very early and almost everything I’m saying right now as of today can change, the league view on every guy not named Trevor is not favorable.  Fields is most people’s number 2, with Wilson rising, but that is more of an indictment on what Fields has put on tape this season.  The consensus among the league is that Sam can absolutely be salvaged with the right talent + coaching, and that they actually view that as the scenario that would yield more rewards than drafting Fields, Lance, Wilson, etc.  Personally, I don’t know how I feel about that, but I’m not the one who is making that decision so I try and remove myself from that headspace.  Ideally, JD, as much as he loves Sewell, wants other players at premium positions to blow up from now until draft day, trade down, and get as much high end talent as possible to build a complete team.  The thinking is if Sam can’t do it after that, you can still look for a QB next year in a class that, as of now, looks more “whole” than this years class.  Both guys also said to me that the league feeling is that, our boy, Maccagnan was a disaster of unparalleled proportions and Sam is far from “broken beyond repair”.  They went as far as to say that they believe he is more fixable and moldable than Tannehill was coming out of Miami.  Obviously Gase was discussed and they could not stress enough how awful he is scheme-wise.  What he does is not “QB friendly” by any stretch of the imagination.  From the limitations on audibles (QB sneak-gate was a big example of this) all the way to route combinations.  The guy just doesn’t understand how to help his players, particularly his signal caller.  

Getting back to the draft, as of today (and of course this can change with big performances from a QB like Fields in the playoffs, more extensive film study, and whiteboard work at the combine, etc.) the thinking, not just with us, is that the QBs in this class not named Lawrence are not worth getting fired over.  There is less risk with giving Sam one last ride than associating yourself with, say, Zach Wilson, a BYU QB who lights up UCF and teams of that ilk, for the foreseeable future.  Especially if you think Sam can still reach his full potential, which was thought to be very high.  Of course we discussed the chance that a team like Denver, Chicago, Pitt, etc. blows JD away with a trade for Sam as well.  It’s unlikely, but will be something to monitor. 

While this news may not thrill many of you, both my source and the prominent person I spoke to in order to further confirm this, have done everything to back me off the “I can’t believe Douglas would do this, what a nightmare” ledge.  They stressed that he will get this team on the right track, one way or another, and that he is the real deal.  I was nervous to post this because the whole process is early, fluid, and I have no idea what type of information I will get as things change, but I always told you guys that I would be upfront with the information I could share and I will stick to that.  

Interesting. Drafting other players and giving Sam one more year makes sense to me. The HC is def a concern. I really hope it is not Marvin Lewis. That seems like an ownership pick not a Joe D pick to me.

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Awesome stuff, as usual. Best news was your last nugget that JD is definitely in charge. Did your guys bring up Doug Pederson  if he were to shake free, which I doubt he will?  Merry Christmas ? 

Both said, and agreed, they would expect Pederson to jettison up the target list.  Looking much less likely now with how he has Hurts playing.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Lizard King said:

I totally agree. A good offensive line will make up for a lot of problems. Just make the situation functional for Sam to almost have guys get open more often via a second or two of extra time. Run more effectively which will open up the passing game even further. It’s a lot easier to pass well when your line and running game controls the tempo.

The defense isn’t bad either, a couple pieces there, including the ever elusive edge rusher. I think our backs are very solid. Resign Poole, pay Maulet and keep seeing how he does in the safety spot, get a track star out of Ethiopia and some duct tape and stick him at Sam OLB for the time being and we’re in business.

It will likely be our better chance in this division keeping Allen and Tua off the field more since they both can do damage.

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Believe it or not there’s spots on the staff that do that. Called OC and QB coach. 

Yes and Rex , Herm and Todd all had OC's and QB coaches too. The HC dictates the style he wants the team to play in. It would be helpful if we got another offensive minded HC . 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

How he doing this year? Anything significantly change in the roster they possibly influenced the outcome of his season?

Hes got over 300 wins and is a HOF HC. 

And youre going to argue that the Pats are down this year?  Anyone who doesnt think the team roster influences things doesnt understand football, trust me I've argued that.  Point was after being ripped apart as a horrible hire by Jets fans back in the day he somehow managed to put together a HOF career.  And not every HC with a talented roster will win, I wouldnt think Gase with a good roster is a HOF HC.