Dwayne Haskins has been released.

Mogglez

54 minutes ago, Baeton Manning said:

Wasn't he well regarded out of college by pretty much everyone? I wasn't following the prospects at all that year but I know it was part of the meltdown about picking Daniel Jones at 6th or whatever it was, that they couldn't get the great Dwayne Haskins

He absolutely scorched the the Big 10.  The experts loved him.

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Expect Miami look to do the same fwiw. Will the Jets realize their Darnold error?

It is not the Johnson way to realize their errors.  They paid for their players, dammit.  They hold onto their players, hoping they work out or someone will trade for them.  Look at the history.  

Just now, Irish Jet said:

He has literally done everything in his power to get himself banished from the league.

If we go with the Ohio State QB at #2 we can’t say we weren’t warned.

It is my long standing feeling that marrying college to prospect is a 100% faulty way to look at a prospect.

If someone says to me QB A is bad, don;t draft because he is inaccurate or slow or turnover prone or just overrated fine.  If someone says don't draft a guy a guy because he comes from a college that that had previous busts it means a big fat zero to me.

• Upvote 1

Haskins, Winston, Marriota .....  all were prospects along the lines of the guys that people are advocating the Jets select at #2. It is a crapshoot. The jets can not afford to waste top picks on players that are crapshoots. Build the team first. then find a QB in the draft. in the meantime, signing any QB with starting experience is likely an upgrade from Sam's past performance. sh*t, even Winston or Mariota would be a big upgrade from Sam.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It is my long standing feeling that marrying college to prospect is a 100% faulty way to look at a prospect.

If someone says to me QB A is bad, don;t draft because he is inaccurate or slow or turnover prone or just overrated fine.  If someone says don't draft a guy a guy because he comes from a college that that had previous busts it means a big fat zero to me.

What if the QB dated a cheerleader with a big bust??

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I know it is faulty. But it’s just a reminder how certain programs can elevate poor pro prospects. Some have a better track record than others for a reason.

Fields is his own guy but a lot of the same on field issues he has were a theme with Haskins too. That said it seems Haskins has a whole host of problems that are unique to him.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Haskins, Winston, Marriota .....  all were prospects along the lines of the guys that people are advocating the Jets select at #2. It is a crapshoot. The jets can not afford to waste top picks on players that are crapshoots. Build the team first. then find a QB in the draft. in the meantime, signing any QB with starting experience is likely an upgrade from Sam's past performance. sh*t, even Winston or Mariota would be a big upgrade from Sam.

The draft is all about value/risk assessment.  Or so people say.  

I think picking high is almost being cursed.  

After top 8 or so, I don't think fans are going to begrudge a team that makes an educated bet on a QB, the most valuable position on the team.  But before that, you want an instant starter and hopefully guaranteed star.  Gettleman was right when he said he wanted a guaranteed hall of fame player with the second pick, but I don't know whether that mean a RB almost guaranteed to get hurt and have a short career.  

So in the past few drafts, there have been shuffles to trade up or down and get a QB for the right value.  Bears traded up for Trubitsky-not too smart.  Trading up for Darnold is not looking too smart either.  Will take the Jets over 5 years to recover from that.  

For QB in particular, character, coachability and intelligence are crucially important.  I think Mariota has all of that, or at least the first two.   Haskins and Winston-not so much.  People are really going to have to drill into Fields.  You can argue that playing at Ohio State can make a player less intelligent and a worse citizen than when they started out.  

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Maybe I'm just paranoid but my personal feeling is if you draft Fields you're getting Dwayne Haskins. 

i know i was thinking the same thing when thinking about OSU qbs.  it's not like haskins and fields are 4 or 5 seasons apart.  they are both coming from nearly the same team culture.  i can't help thinking this will knock fields down a bit.

• Upvote 1

He has 2 years left on a rookie contract and will earn $1.8 million in 2021

With a ton of cap space, you HAVE to put in a claim for him and bring him into camp. He's a talented athlete with NFL starting experience and a NJ native. 

If you keep Darnold, you can audition Haskins for the backup role. Even if you trade Darnold and draft a QB #2, it's a good idea - go into camp with Zach Wilson (or whoever), Dwayne Haskins, and James Morgan, let the new coaching staff see what they can do in preseason and go from there

Even if his ceiling is competent NFL backup, it's money well spent. If he plays well in preseason, you have a decent backup or you can Teddy Bridgwater him or If he gets into camp and sucks, you cut him with no big cap hit

If I'm Joe Douglass, I'm claiming him right now 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i know i was thinking the same thing when thinking about OSU qbs.  it's not like haskins and fields are 4 or 5 seasons apart.  they are both coming from nearly the same team culture.  i can't help thinking this will knock fields down a bit.

The schools with the most players in the HOF are Notre Dame and USC with 13 players each. Ohio state has 10 and only 1 player out of all those schools has a QB in the HOF and he was a 3rd rd choice..

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Haskins was a silly pick and there were a litany of red flags going into the draft. Snyder just decided to be Snyder. No one else wanted him.

Just now, munchmemory said:

I've seen Haskins play a bunch of times.  There is a reason Washington flat out released him:  He's awful.  A disaster wrapped around a catastrophe.    Never will be even a marginally competent NFL QB.  

LOL! @ the folks saying we should sign Haskins.   I'll type slowly:  HE....CAN'T...PLAY.

Has there ever been any bum released that some here didn't want to sign??

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Dan Snyder.  This was another Dan Snyder-overrules-his-Coaches Draft Pick.

Correct. Snyder's son went to Ohio State and convinced his dad to draft Haskins even though he was a disaster during the pre draft process. (Late for meetings and blew off scheduled interviews)

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

With a ton of cap space, you HAVE to put in a claim for him and bring him into camp. He's a talented athlete with NFL starting experience and a NJ native. 

If you keep Darnold, you can audition Haskins for the backup role. Even if you trade Darnold and draft a QB #2, it's a good idea - go into camp with Zach Wilson (or whoever), Dwayne Haskins, and James Morgan, let the new coaching staff see what they can do in preseason and go from there

Even if his ceiling is competent NFL backup, it's money well spent. If he plays well in preseason, you have a decent backup or you can Teddy Bridgwater him or If he gets into camp and sucks, you cut him with no big cap hit

NO! The problem with Haskins isn't talent, it's character and work ethic. It's not fair or smart to expose a new coach and a rookie QB to that environment.

26 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

200.gif

28 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5081593