JD’s Major Blunder

Mark78

38 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Yeah

I also remember when Kirk Cousins was a heart beat away from signing with the Jets. lol 

Said all the right things to get more money out of the Vikes.  It's called manipulating the market.  He had already selected a house in Minn.

"The fact that we have the Jets’ offer is huge," said Cousins. "Now it gives the other teams a reason to come up."

Cousins' plan worked. The Vikings raised their offer from $75 million to $84 million, still leaving his contract with Minnesota short of his offer from the Jets, but close enough that Cousins was apparently willing to take the $6 million pay cut 

Lol not remotely the same thing. 

Robby signed for a pittance on the open market compared to the going rate for FA receivers. Kirk set the market for QBs that is still informing QB contracts today. 

We needed a modest improvement in our offer and RA would have stayed. JD didn't do that. I've liked his draft and the majority of his moves thus far. But this was JD's big miss. 

12 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol not remotely the same thing. 

Robby signed for a pittance on the open market compared to the going rate for FA receivers. Kirk set the market for QBs that is still informing QB contracts today. 

We needed a modest improvement in our offer and RA would have stayed. JD didn't do that. I've liked his draft and the majority of his moves thus far. But this was JD's big miss. 

For Anderson, there wasn’t much convincing on his end to sign with the Panthers. He had his eye on Carolina immediately following the news breaking of Rhule becoming the team’s next head coach.

“I know winning is in his blood and that’s what he’s here to do,” Anderson said. “There wasn’t much he had to sell me on… I wanted to be a Panther.” 

“I can honestly say if it wasn’t for Coach Rhule making things happen, I wouldn’t be in the position that I’m in today.”

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I wish we had some recent news on Morgan's progress.  I've been looking for some stuff but I don't see anything trending on his current career status.  Just Gase saying he's not ready.  Which I don't qualify at all.

Probably the best endorsement a player can get! :D  

• Haha 1

Considering Morgan's lack of opportunities to play was entirely the decision of Gase, that ultimately means it couldn't possibly carry any less meaning.

That's not to say Morgan won't end up being a mostly useless bust of a pick, as the odds are heavily in favor of that, but as of yet there's nothing of any value to prove as much.

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

For Anderson, there wasn’t much convincing on his end to sign with the Panthers. He had his eye on Carolina immediately following the news breaking of Rhule becoming the team’s next head coach.

“I know winning is in his blood and that’s what he’s here to do,” Anderson said. “There wasn’t much he had to sell me on… I wanted to be a Panther.” 

“I can honestly say if it wasn’t for Coach Rhule making things happen, I wouldn’t be in the position that I’m in today.”

Not sure why this is so hard for some people to grasp.  Anderson simply chose Rhule over Gase when given the opportunity, proving he is infinitely more intelligent than Chris Johnson.  The Jets' contract offer to Anderson was still the biggest one that he got.

While I'm not nearly as confident as some in JD proving himself to be the Jets' healer of all, the concept of him opting not to continue bidding against himself is hardly the great injustice some claim it to be.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I did not like the pick but condemning Morgan in a year we have Flacco as backup without a preseason seems unfair.

Seems fair to me.  There is no good reason why he didn't get at least a few garbage time snaps.   Sorry, it was a horrible pick considering this teams needs. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Lol if you can't recognize the editorial spin of some beat reporter in Charlotte, I can't help you here bud.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4th round pick Jacob Eason hasn't played a snap for the Colts this season, either.  Was that a wasted pick?  

Team that needs a QB drafts a QB.  Outrage ensues.  

Why would he play over Phillip Rivers?  Did he get hurt or something?  I don't recall.   Not to mention the Colts are a playoff team and the Jets are 2 and 13 disaster area.  If he couldn't get a few snaps on this team...   

I dont believe this is JDs biggest blunder, taking just one wide receiver, was.  

7 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

This is the approach we’ve taken at kicker....it is not working 

None of the approaches have worked.  UDFA Lac Edwards averaged 45.9 Yards per Punt the past two years for the Jets.  Braden Mann is averaging 44.3 in 2020.  The bottom line is that we used a 6th round pick and downgraded the position. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaLa01.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannBr01.htm

31 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Lol if you can't recognize the editorial spin of some beat reporter in Charlotte, I can't help you here bud.

LOL at you if you don't realize that Anderson was never coming back here.  He wanted to play for his college HC who got him back on the team after being bounced off it twice.

Anderson loved Rhule.   Don't see any spin.  Direct quotes from Anderson.   But if it makes you feel better to attack Douglas for not forcing a guy to come back who didn't want to be here.  Have at it.

14 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

didnt understand the pick then....dont understand it now

Has JD ever said why?

You'd think we were all from Lichtenstein and just emigrated here because I don't think anyone understands what this team does. Has he ever said why, what kind of question is that (flips furiously through tourist guide). Quanto costa? That's Italian, but whatever. 

58 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Darnold's poor play has made this a better pick for me.

Is it possible J.D. wasn't completely sold on Darnold when he decided to go Morgan in the 4th?

If that's the case, he deserves some credit.

Not when he's apparently not good enough to suit up for a game 

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

None of the approaches have worked.  UDFA Lac Edwards averaged 45.9 Yards per Punt the past two years for the Jets.  Braden Mann is averaging 44.3 in 2020.  The bottom line is that we used a 6th round pick and downgraded the position. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdwaLa01.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannBr01.htm

Yeah I actually didn’t understand the reticence to re-sign Edwards, he was solid enough. But having decided to move on I don’t have an issue using a 6th or 7th on the position. That’s what those picks are for

Without getting into the minutiae of the punting unit this year it did seem like we gave up a lot more returns than in previous years, hence the fact Mann was having to make all those TD saving tackles. So that may have affected his punting average compared to Edwards.

Either way I’m not worried about the position, I am worried about whose kicking and how little attention we’ve paid to the position. While we suck as bad as we do it’s barely a factor but eventually it will catch up on us.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Yeah I actually didn’t understand the reticence to re-sign Edwards, he was solid enough. But having decided to move on I don’t have an issue using a 6th or 7th on the position. That’s what those picks are for

Without getting into the minutiae of the punting unit this year it did seem like we gave up a lot more returns than in previous years, hence the fact Mann was having to make all those TD saving tackles. So that may have affected his punting average compared to Edwards.

Either way I’m not worried about the position, I am worried about whose kicking and how little attention we’ve paid to the position. While we suck as bad as we do it’s barely a factor but eventually it will catch up on us.

I have no problem using a 6th or 7th rounder on a P or K either, I was just hoping we'd get better results and not JAG type performance.  We should be getting a Johnny Hekker type player if we're going to use a draft pick IMO.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2020 at 9:07 AM, kevinc855 said:

didnt understand the pick then....dont understand it now

Has JD ever said why?

Why?  

Unless he's not real smart he noticed the QB he inherited sucks.  He's got a big armed QB, who needs developing on the board in the 4th ,that's where the crap shoot of the draft starts..   Why not?

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Why?  

Unless he's not real smart he noticed the QB he inherited sucks.  He's got a big armed QB, who needs developing on the board in the 4th ,that's where the crap shoot of the draft starts..   Why not?

Because you don’t take crap shoots when you have a roster full of holes.

Clearly he misread him. If the guy showed any flashes at camp they be happy to parade him on. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Because you don’t take crap shoots when you have a roster full of holes.

Clearly he misread him. If the guy showed any flashes at camp they be happy to parade him on. 

They have a huge hole at QB.  All of the 4th round is a crap shoot for all teams.  In a year when the rooks had 0 OTA's a very weird camp, it would have been very stupid to put a developmental QB out there.

IMO worth while pick.  Lets see what the kid does in camp next season with a normal off season.  If he stinks then, OK, complain about the pick.  Until then it's silly

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Yeah, I never understood not bringing back Lac Edwards, and I don't have a particular issue with using a late pick on the position, but the problem is that Mann is worse than Edwards.  While I get what you're saying about numbers impacted by the big returns to an extent, the truth is Mann himself gets a share of the blame there too.  Certainly not all of them, but at least a few of their big returns allowed have been thanks in part to low line drive kicks and/or poor ball placement from Mann, while getting scattered in with some horrific shanks like the one we saw last week that went a whole 14 yards.  He certainly has a bigger leg than Lac, but I'd take consistency and hang-time over power when it comes to the position.

In the end, punter is still excessively low on the Jets list of needs these days, but I'd be fine with bringing in a cheap FA (perhaps Edwards) or undrafted rookie to battle him for the spot if they so choose.  Far from any huge thing to get worked up over either way though.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2020 at 9:02 AM, Mark78 said:

JAMES MORGAN!

He was picked in the 4th round and has not seen a snap in a meaningless year.  Why start Flacco in those games when we had 0 chance of making the playoffs; Especially after witnessing how inept Flacco was.  

For example, in a game last month Jake Luton, had a 68.4 completion percentage and 304 yards.  He was a 6th rounder and was chosen 64 picks after Morgan.

So, we used a 4th round pick on a backup QB who isn’t even good enough to see the field in a situation where losing may be the optimal outcome.  This was a horrible pick and it is looking like an enormous project to even let him get a taste of an NFL game.  

We havent seen him, means he sucks and was a mistake!  

How come you didnt bring up Lutons 16 - 37 (43%) for 151 yards, 0 TD, 4 INT game?  The guy who couldn't play over Glennon?  The guy we thought was part of Jax tanking?

Once again, with COVID there were 4 QBs on the roster, the 4th QB sits and learns, doesnt practice.  It wasnt that he sucks, it was by design.   

Mekhi Becton- Stud. Injury concerns. 

Denzel Mims- Looks like he may develop into a stud. 

Ashtyn Davis- Looks promising. Needs time to develop.  

Jabari Zuniga- complete disappointment but has not gotten a lot of reps so it may be too early to tell.  

La'Mical Perine- he has been average. You could argue that's disappointing for where he was selected. But he could be a productive back if the Jets improve the O-line and he stays healthy.  

James Morgan- a complete unknown. Could be the next Tom Brady. Could be cut next season. We just don't know.  

Cameron Clark- another complete unknown. You could argue with the way the O-line struggled, the fact that he couldn't crack the starting lineup makes him a disappointment but I wouldn't be surprised if Gase just wanted to stick with the vets and red-shirted him. 

Bryce Hall- Played surprisingly well considering his rehab time and lack of reps throughout the season.    

Braden Mann- disappointment. The best thing he's done this season is tackle. He needs to get his act together. He's supposed to be one of the best punters coming out of college in a while and he's below average.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, flgreen said:

They have a huge hole at QB.  All of the 4th round is a crap shoot for all teams.  In a year when the rooks had 0 OTA's a very weird camp, it would have been very stupid to put a developmental QB out there.

IMO worth while pick.  Lets see what the kid does in camp next season with a normal off season.  If he stinks then, OK, complain about the pick.  Until then it's silly

So we are giving a mulligan on 16 weeks of practices as well. I see. 

4th Round picks have much better chances of panning out then the 6th round picks JD is so fond of compiling.

As you said let’s see what happens. Then you can admit it was a waste/misread