JD’s Major Blunder

Mark78

3 hours ago, Lith said:

If JD's major blunder is missing on a QB that is picked 125th in the draft, I can live with that.

Agree completely, but there's a chance that the problem with this Draft isn't necessarily a one player blunder but rather a group of guys taken earlier than they should have been or the opportunity cost of taking them over other available players.  I give JD credit for what looks to be solid hits on Becton and Mims.  You need to nail those early 1st and 2nd round picks and (at least so far) he did!  But Rounds 3 and 4 are where you expect to find valuable starters, not always stars, but above average starters (although the QB position is a bit of a gamble.  You don't expect QB starters coming out of the 4th round).  It's still early but Davis, Zuniga, Perine, and Clark all have big question marks around them right now.  Just like we shouldn't really confirm Mims as a hit yet, we shouldn't call Zuniga, Clark, etc. busts quite yet.

Those guys need to do more than just "contribute."  If this Draft is to be considered a success then at least 3 of those guys should become starters. It was a strange COVID year, offseason programs and camps weren't what they normally are, etc. so I'm optimistic we'll get to see who these guys really are when they take the field next season.

We should get a solid look at Perine this coming weekend with Gore out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Re JD saying he misjudged RA's market, that does not make a lot of sense to me.  

My understanding was that JD tried to tie Robby up for 4 years with the same guarantee as Carolina's 2 year deal, thus giving Robby the opportunity to hit the market again (don't quite get that, but ok).   Sounds like JD got a bit greedy/petty, as opposed to a mis-pricing.  

27 minutes ago, dcJet said:

You don't get the luxury of blowing a pick because you traded down.  

I don't equate taking a big swing with "blowing a pick".  Teams make picks that don't work out all the time.  You just have to use sound logic and make what amounts to be an educated guess.  If Douglas thought James Morgan could end up the next Dak Prescott/Kirk Cousins out of the 4th round, then it wasn't a situation where he just said "f**k it" like some are assuming.

No GM except perhaps Mike Maccagnan just YOLO's it.  All draft capital is valuable and the middle rounds are where GM's and scouts really earn their paychecks.  Every decision is carefully thought about.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Since his name isn't getting mentioned in this thread as we bash several of the mid round picks I thought I'd throw this out there:

Bryce Hall looks like a player. The defensive coverage has gotten noticeably better (IMO) since he went in and Pierre Desir went out. For a 5th round guy coming off a major injury I've been impressed. Seems like he could be the answer at CB 2.

I also think Ashtyn Davis is getting dismissed entirely too quickly.  His task is to become the center fielder of the defense.  In a season where there was almost no offseason due to a global pandemic, I think he deserves some time to figure things out.  The book on him is that he's both athletic and an extremely hard worker.  That's always an intriguing combo.  

Perine is the pick that I question the most.  When you take a RB in the 4th, you should be hoping for some upside.  At best Perine might be the next Bilal Powell.  And so far he hasn't demonstrated he'll approach that upside.  For a plug-n-play position like RB, that's disappointing.  Maybe the next HC will find better use for him.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Yeah it's not getting old at all. 

One of our biggest needs going into 2021 is having a receiver to pair with Mims who can take the top over the defense. 

We could have just kept Robby and had a better team this year/moving forward. 

It was a stupid decision and should be called as such. 

And we have almost 100 million dollars. JD will be targeting a #1 WR. 

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

funny how the very same people who continually bash darnold and want a new qb are bashing douglas because he picked a qb in the draft.  what's the adage?  you keep picking qb's until you get one.  maybe 4th round was high if morgan could've been gotten in the fifth or sixth but it's still nowhere near the hack attack.  and we don't know that much about morgan.  douglas and his scouts obviously saw something that made them think he could be a viable qb.  maybe he's going to be darnold's replacement.  either way, dissing douglas wihout knowing all of the information makes no sense.

as for the other "busts", it's only been one draft and in a messed up season.  sure we all want to see more out of zuniga, davis, and clark but these guys are still rookies and they were taken in the middle rounds.  zuniga and davis are getting on the field.  and all three of these guys have had injuries throughout the season.  at least wait a season or two before evaluating the drafted players.

finally note that the renowned sal pal dissed becton for having a sub par season.  i don't know what teams he was watching.  becton did pretty darn well.  i think the only guy he had some trouble with is garrett but garrett is an excellent edge rusher.

Good post. Becton getting his ass kicked by Garrett is the best thing that could have happened to him. The Big Ticket was getting a Big Head. Too much, too soon. Now way he had a Pro Bowl year.

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree completely, but there's a chance that the problem with this Draft isn't necessarily a one player blunder but rather a group of guys taken earlier than they should have been or the opportunity cost of taking them over other available players.  I give JD credit for what looks to be solid hits on Becton and Mims.  You need to nail those early 1st and 2nd round picks and (at least so far) he did!  But Rounds 3 and 4 are where you expect to find valuable starters, not always stars, but above average starters (although the QB position is a bit of a gamble.  You don't expect QB starters coming out of the 4th round).  It's still early but Davis, Zuniga, Perine, and Clark all have big question marks around them right now.  Just like we shouldn't really confirm Mims as a hit yet, we shouldn't call Zuniga, Clark, etc. busts quite yet.

Those guys need to do more than just "contribute."  If this Draft is to be considered a success then at least 3 of those guys should become starters. It was a strange COVID year, offseason programs and camps weren't what they normally are, etc. so I'm optimistic we'll get to see who theses guys really are when they take the field next season.

We should get a solid look at Perine this coming weekend with Gore out.

I agree with you.  There are some on this site (not talking about you) who seem to think that since these mid round picks are not contributing as rookies that they are bad picks. 

The two 3rd round picks are the most concerning.  Davis has struggled and Zuniga has had no impact since beginning to get some playing time around mid-season.  I would have liked to have seen more out of them, but they are rookies, after an abbreviated off season.  Lets see what next year brings.

There are no RBs taken after Perine in the draft who have rushed for more yards than him.  He was the 12th RB drafted and is 10th among rookie RBs in rushing yards.  Not great, but not bad either consdiering his draft postiion.  Unfortunately he is out due to Covid this week, so it appears his rookie year is done. 

The angst over guys taken in R4- R7 on this site is laughable at times.  Most of the guys taken in these rounds have little impact as rookies.  Everyone points to the Gabriel Davis/Donovan People-Jones picks as proof that our R4-7 draft picks sucked.  Well, then so have most of the ~150 day 3 picks.  Davis and DPJ are excpetions, not the rule.  And Bryce Hall has looked pretty good for a rookie R5 CB.

• Upvote 3

Gase has run Gore into the ground this year instead of playing what, three or more younger guys who have more pop in their legs? I’m not sure that a young player not seeing the field over a veteran under this coaching staff can really be an indictment of that player’s ability.

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I also think Ashtyn Davis is getting dismissed entirely too quickly.  His task is to become the center fielder of the defense.  In a season where there was almost no offseason due to a global pandemic, I think he deserves some time to figure things out.  The book on him is that he's both athletic and an extremely hard worker.  That's always an intriguing combo.  

Perine is the pick that I question the most.  When you take a RB in the 4th, you should be hoping for some upside.  At best Perine might be the next Bilal Powell.  And so far he hasn't demonstrated he'll approach that upside.  For a plug-n-play position like RB, that's disappointing.  Maybe the next HC will find better use for him.

Agree on both accounts.

Davis to me is firmly in the “jury’s out” category. I like his upside and athleticism but it’s been a rocky rookie year. 

Perine by contrast is in the easiest position to adjust to in the NFL and is being outplayed by Ty Johnson and Josh Adams.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with you.  There are some on this site (not talking about you) who seem to think that since these mid round picks are not contributing as rookies that they are bad picks. 

The two 3rd round picks are the most concerning.  Davis has struggled and Zuniga has had no impact since beginning to get some playing time around mid-season.  I would have liked to have seen more out of them, but they are rookies, after an abbreviated off season.  Lets see what next year brings.

There are no RBs taken after Perine in the draft who have rushed for more yards than him.  He was the 12th RB drafted and is 10th among rookie RBs in rushing yards.  Not great, but not bad either consdiering his draft postiion.  Unfortunately he is out due to Covid this week, so it appears his rookie year is done. 

The angst over guys taken in R4- R7 on this site is laughable at times.  Most of the guys taken in these rounds have little impact as rookies.  Everyone points to the Gabriel Davis/Donovan People-Jones picks as proof that our R4-7 draft picks sucked.  Well, then so have most of the ~150 day 3 picks.  Davis and DPJ are excpetions, not the rule.  And Bryce Hall has looked pretty good for a rookie R5 CB.

Didn't know about Perine being on the C list.  That's a total buzzkill as the door was going to be swung wide open for him this weekend with Gore not around.

Agree about Davis and Zuniga, we have to wait a bit and as I like to say, "let mid round picks marinate."  You can't just throw them in the fire and expect immediate results.  Most of them need some seasoning and time.  I think the best argument for a guy like Zuniga is QW.  Sometimes it takes a year for the light bulb to go on.

Hall looks like a gamer.  He could be the real find of the Draft if he turns into a high-end CB2 or eventually cracks the CB1 spot.

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Yeah that's the point.

We wouldn't have to go nuts in FA on receivers that may not pan out this year if JD made the smart decision to resign RA who clearly has.

Allen Robinson is a way better #1 WR than Robbie Anderson! I want WRs that are fast & physical. 

6 hours ago, Mark78 said:

JAMES MORGAN!

He was picked in the 4th round and has not seen a snap in a meaningless year.  Why start Flacco in those games when we had 0 chance of making the playoffs; Especially after witnessing how inept Flacco was.  

For example, in a game last month Jake Luton, had a 68.4 completion percentage and 304 yards.  He was a 6th rounder and was chosen 64 picks after Morgan.

So, we used a 4th round pick on a backup QB who isn’t even good enough to see the field in a situation where losing may be the optimal outcome.  This was a horrible pick and it is looking like an enormous project to even let him get a taste of an NFL game.  

Yep Mahomes took so few snaps and he has been a cleat bust. Funny thing is the Jets sitting him for a year could mean they like him more than we know as they may want to take the opportunity to really develop him well. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Mark78 said:

JAMES MORGAN!

He was picked in the 4th round and has not seen a snap in a meaningless year.  Why start Flacco in those games when we had 0 chance of making the playoffs; Especially after witnessing how inept Flacco was.  

For example, in a game last month Jake Luton, had a 68.4 completion percentage and 304 yards.  He was a 6th rounder and was chosen 64 picks after Morgan.

So, we used a 4th round pick on a backup QB who isn’t even good enough to see the field in a situation where losing may be the optimal outcome.  This was a horrible pick and it is looking like an enormous project to even let him get a taste of an NFL game.  

KC and the Packers and many more used 1st picks on QB's that didn't see the field in their 1st year and some are bitching about a 4th rd pick?? In that case add Cameran Clark the other 4th rd pick to the complaint list..:soapbox:

gase was a terrible coach last year and the team won a bunch of more games-part of the reason for the drop off is Joe D greatly reduced the talent level of the roster-Joe D got a pass all year because  folks insisted he had a master plan to tank which has been proven to be wrong. 

I understand it is a process.... Joe d's team this year lost a bunch of more games and without question the talent on the roster was worse this year and his is the guy in charge of talent. If there is not a big upgrade in talent next year he is just like those before him.

Parcells took a 1-15 team and right away made a huge improvement-year two the afc championship game-

1 minute ago, ElBarrioJets said:

That's lovely. There's no guarantee Robinson will come here and RA wanted to stay with the Jets.

It was a dumb move not to resign Robby.

He didn’t want to stay with the Jets, he wanted to play for his college coach. Get over it! 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

He didn’t want to stay with the Jets, he wanted to play for his college coach. Get over it! 

that is nonsense -you guys make up sh*t as you go-Robby said he wanted to stay with the jets-the jets decided to let him test the market-he took that as a sign of how they valued him and jumped ship-

6 minutes ago, kmnj said:

gase was a terrible coach last year and the team won a bunch of more games-part of the reason for the drop off is Joe D greatly reduced the talent level of the roster-Joe D got a pass all year because  folks insisted he had a master plan to tank which has been proven to be wrong. 

I understand it is a process.... Joe d's team this year lost a bunch of more games and without question the talent on the roster was worse this year and his is the guy in charge of talent. If there is not a big upgrade in talent next year he is just like those before him.

Parcells took a 1-15 team and right away made a huge improvement-year two the afc championship game-

What would you have done differently? Aside from signing Robby Anderson, what moves would you have made to get the Jets from 2-13 to playoff contender without ruining the salary cap for 2021?

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Yeah that's the point.

We wouldn't have to go nuts in FA on receivers that may not pan out this year if JD made the smart decision to resign RA who clearly has.

Anderson had NO intention of coming back.  He used the Jets to run his price up a bit. I have no problem with that.  Jets would have had to pay him $15M or so.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How in the world would Morgan ever be ready to play? In addition to no pre-season action, he has no dedicated position coach and Gase and Logjam spend all of their time trying to make Sam into a serviceable QB. Actually, in my view, the less exposure Morgan had to Gase and Logjam the better.

Say what ?  Hopefully, your kidding.  AG and DL haven't done chit for SAM.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Didn't know about Perine being on the C list.  That's a total buzzkill as the door was going to be swung wide open for him this weekend with Gore not around.

Agree about Davis and Zuniga, we have to wait a bit and as I like to say, "let mid round picks marinate."  You can't just throw them in the fire and expect immediate results.  Most of them need some seasoning and time.  I think the best argument for a guy like Zuniga is QW.  Sometimes it takes a year for the light bulb to go on.

Hall looks like a gamer.  He could be the real find of the Draft if he turns into a high-end CB2 or eventually cracks the CB1 spot.

This was a totally rebuilt Oline with zero camp. That’s tough for a rookie RB. 
Same for Davis. Plus as we know from the Raiders game Gregg Williams was doing a lot blitzing with getting very little pressure. It looks like Frank Bush has had more success with his scheme. 
Tough year for rooks thrown in the fire. 

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Anderson had NO intention of coming back.  He used the Jets to run his price up a bit. I have no problem with that.  Jets would have had to pay him $15M or so.

Well except for all the anecdotes and interviews before/during/after FA when he expressed his desire to come back.

But whatever, revisionist history I guess.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SOJ said:

Say what ?  Hopefully, your kidding.  AG and DL haven't done chit for SAM.

I said "trying". I don't know what they've actually done, but I do believe AG and DL believe they have made efforts to make Sam better. But I do agree with you, whatever they believe they have done, it was woefully inadequate.

25 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Well except for all the anecdotes and interviews before/during/after FA when he expressed his desire to come back.

But whatever, revisionist history I guess.

Yeah

I also remember when Kirk Cousins was a heart beat away from signing with the Jets. lol 

Said all the right things to get more money out of the Vikes.  It's called manipulating the market.  He had already selected a house in Minn.

"The fact that we have the Jets’ offer is huge," said Cousins. "Now it gives the other teams a reason to come up."

Cousins' plan worked. The Vikings raised their offer from $75 million to $84 million, still leaving his contract with Minnesota short of his offer from the Jets, but close enough that Cousins was apparently willing to take the $6 million pay cut