JD’s Major Blunder

Mark78

I am thinking JD saw something in James Morgan and picked him.  I think JD is going to pick new HC, trade Darnold, take QB with first pick and resign Flacco to another 1 year deal or pick up another veteran QB to start 2021.  The Jets are still not in "win now" mode.  Darnold and Gase  have set the franchise back several years.  Harsh reality.

• WTF? 1

funny how the very same people who continually bash darnold and want a new qb are bashing douglas because he picked a qb in the draft.  what's the adage?  you keep picking qb's until you get one.  maybe 4th round was high if morgan could've been gotten in the fifth or sixth but it's still nowhere near the hack attack.  and we don't know that much about morgan.  douglas and his scouts obviously saw something that made them think he could be a viable qb.  maybe he's going to be darnold's replacement.  either way, dissing douglas wihout knowing all of the information makes no sense.

as for the other "busts", it's only been one draft and in a messed up season.  sure we all want to see more out of zuniga, davis, and clark but these guys are still rookies and they were taken in the middle rounds.  zuniga and davis are getting on the field.  and all three of these guys have had injuries throughout the season.  at least wait a season or two before evaluating the drafted players.

finally note that the renowned sal pal dissed becton for having a sub par season.  i don't know what teams he was watching.  becton did pretty darn well.  i think the only guy he had some trouble with is garrett but garrett is an excellent edge rusher.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mann is not awesome at all, in the least.  I have no clue how a guy gets labelled as great based on his tackling ability.

The bar is pretty low around here. See a guy 5 times a game as a 7th round rookie and he always gets the job done without any glaring mistakes. That's awesome in my book.

Baby steps.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I did not like the pick but condemning Morgan in a year we have Flacco as backup without a preseason seems unfair.

This.

Can't write off a developmental QB after one year, but at the same time I really think that pick could have been used better.  Morgan should 100% see the field on Sunday for at least one quarter.  Give the guy 3 drives.  It seems like a disservice in a completely lost season to not have him take the field and get a feel for live NFL action when the real bullets are flying.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mann is not awesome at all, in the least.  I have no clue how a guy gets labelled as great based on his tackling ability.

Mann has been okay.  But he's at the bottom of the league in terms of most punting statistics.  Feels like we could have gotten replacement value punting in FA or with a UDFA.

This was always going to be a red shirt year for James Morgan.  The Jets signed Flacco to a one year deal precisely for this reason.

I am reserving judgement until he sees the field and his game can actually be evaluated.  Giving up on a red shirt 4th round rookie without seeing a single snap is premature.  He is a developmental pick.  For once, the Jets are actually doing the right thing by letting a player develop without throwing him to the wolves before he's ready.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Mark78 said:

JAMES MORGAN!

He was picked in the 4th round and has not seen a snap in a meaningless year.  Why start Flacco in those games when we had 0 chance of making the playoffs; Especially after witnessing how inept Flacco was.  

For example, in a game last month Jake Luton, had a 68.4 completion percentage and 304 yards.  He was a 6th rounder and was chosen 64 picks after Morgan.

So, we used a 4th round pick on a backup QB who isn’t even good enough to see the field in a situation where losing may be the optimal outcome.  This was a horrible pick and it is looking like an enormous project to even let him get a taste of an NFL game.  

How in the world would Morgan ever be ready to play? In addition to no pre-season action, he has no dedicated position coach and Gase and Logjam spend all of their time trying to make Sam into a serviceable QB. Actually, in my view, the less exposure Morgan had to Gase and Logjam the better.

6 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

This was always going to be a red shirt year for James Morgan.  The Jets signed Flacco to a one year deal precisely for this reason.

I am reserving judgement until he sees the field and his game can actually be evaluated.  Giving up on a red shirt 4th round rookie without seeing a single snap is premature.  He is a developmental pick.  For once, the Jets are actually doing the right thing by letting a player develop without throwing him to the wolves before he's ready.

How does he see the field if you never play him, especially in a lost season.

If the Jets move on from Darnold they are going to get a totally different starter.

It will be no surprise if the jets retain flacco or go get another vet for a backup because that is what makes sense.  Vet retread for a backup.

24 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The bar is pretty low around here. See a guy 5 times a game as a 7th round rookie and he always gets the job done without any glaring mistakes. That's awesome in my book.

Baby steps.

The guy we had who we did not spend a pick on did as well if not better.  He is for sure not awesome.

1 hour ago, ElBarrioJets said:

JD's biggest blunder was not resigning Robby Anderson. 

A rookie QB on a redshirt year is not exactly uncommon. 

I think JD agrees with you and has said as much.

I don't know if Morgan is a bad pick or not but without preseason and a real camp I don't know how you can evaluate a 4th round QB fairly.  And he still has another year to outperform Hackenberg!

it was a terrible pick but he made worse moves and has gotten a pass on them

most of his free agent signings have been terrible and his in house extensions have been terrible

his draft is getting vastly overhyped

so far one guy is playing really well-becton

I already killed the horse that has been beaten over and over again-but  the mims hype is comical at his point-dude has 22 catches zero tds and essentially been shut out in two games and never had a game with over 75 yards-yes he had potential coming out and I have hope for him but his first season is basically on par with Stephen Hill-you can name every excuse in the world his stats and his separation have been bad.

Joe is getting tons of love but has done nothing special so far -his only accomplishment is he is not mac or izadick but he has not proven to be better then them yet either. Fans love new and the same giving Joe lots of love were drooling over both mac and izadick

My opinion is the book is still out on him and year two is critical-he has to nail the draft and free agency or he will  be another loser gm

• Upvote 1

A 4th round pick a MAJOR BLUNDER?  lol c'mon.

Because He happened to play for FIU I've seen him play a few times.  Very strong armed developmental project QB.  High potential, needs a lot of work.  This has been a very weird year for rookies.  No OTA, no real pre-season, no chance to develop.

Kid is well worth a 4th round pick.   Not saying he'll EVER be a starting QB, but he has a chance with the right coaching.  Any QB with big arm talent, and a good attitude is worth a 4th round pick. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The guy we had who we did not spend a pick on did as well if not better.  He is for sure not awesome.

He's nowhere near a pro-bowler, so sure, I understand where you're coming from. But, he's also a 7th round pick who has 77 appearances for a 2 win team and hasn't had a single bad snap. Can't say that about anyone else on the team. 

I agree with your overall point about JD and the draft, but sure - lets argue about the word "awesome" in relation to Braden Mann, lol.

morgan probably wasn’t a good pick but gase is still the issue here - his offensive schemes are so complex ( and ineffective) that a rookie qb is doomed to failure - he probably looks lost in practice and therefore can’t reasonably play in a game situation- a veteran like flacco at least has enough experience to sort through gases nonsense - morgan probably is nonetheless a wasted pick but gase cannot develop a guy like that

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Wait, are you talking about Lac Edwards? We actually did spend a 7th round pick on him, and he certainly did not do "as well if not better" than Mann this year.

He's been on two teams and doesn't have a single snap to his name in 2020.  

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

funny how the very same people who continually bash darnold and want a new qb are bashing douglas because he picked a qb in the draft.  what's the adage?  you keep picking qb's until you get one.  maybe 4th round was high if morgan could've been gotten in the fifth or sixth but it's still nowhere near the hack attack.  and we don't know that much about morgan.  douglas and his scouts obviously saw something that made them think he could be a viable qb.  maybe he's going to be darnold's replacement.  either way, dissing douglas wihout knowing all of the information makes no sense.

as for the other "busts", it's only been one draft and in a messed up season.  sure we all want to see more out of zuniga, davis, and clark but these guys are still rookies and they were taken in the middle rounds.  zuniga and davis are getting on the field.  and all three of these guys have had injuries throughout the season.  at least wait a season or two before evaluating the drafted players.

finally note that the renowned sal pal dissed becton for having a sub par season.  i don't know what teams he was watching.  becton did pretty darn well.  i think the only guy he had some trouble with is garrett but garrett is an excellent edge rusher.

Seriously.

The rookie left tackle had trouble with the Pro Bowl pass rusher.   Well, yeah.   Most people have trouble with Garrett, that is why he has 42 sacks in his first 50 games in the NFL

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

And aren’t most college QBs developmental? 
If they weren’t there wouldn’t be 5 QBs thst might go in the 1st round! 
2018- Mayfield, Darnold, Jackson, Rosen 

2019- Burrow, Herbert 

And on it goes every year! Morgan might turn out to be a f*cking stud broken in properly to the NFL! 

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I would argue that a fans biggest blunder is thinking 4th Round QBs should be ready to play in their first season.  I'd argue lots of 1st rounders aren't.

And Jake Luton wasn't ready to play.  If you actually watched any of those games that was clear.   

Morgan and Cam Clark were both taken as developmental players. Our fans expect them to save the franchise as rookies. 

Makes perfect sense, really.

2 hours ago, QB1 said:

Davis Zuniga Morgan have all been terribly disappointing 

his #1 blunder was letting go of RA and not during Gase last year 

One of the reason the Jets are a 2/3 win team and not a 5/6 win team is because of the overall contribution of JD's first set of draft picks, and his not signing RA.

At this point, the jury is very much out on his 2020 draft.  Remember that Foley and Shepherd looked much better in year 2, so next year is really a better year to judge all of these guys.  

The coaching did not help.  Gase and Loggains could not develop/work with a blue chip player like Darnold.  How is he supposed to develop Morgan?

Hopefully JD and his team have already done some self scouting on the players they picked, versus those passed over, and do better in 2021.  

I do think you are better off taking better talent and even trading up, as opposed to trading down.  I think JD outsmarted himself by trading down and away from, and passing over, players that had better first years than the players JD picked. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Douglas has admitted he miscalculated RA’s market. 

I.E. he didn't think Anderson's old Temple coach would jump into the mix.  Considering how late in the game that played out, this was understandable.

Still a mistake that he didn't up his offer a bit when the time came to do so, but it seemed clear that Anderson wanted to go play for Rhule when the opportunity presented itself.  It worked out well for him.  He'd be putting up sh*tty numbers with Darnold and Gase, that's for sure.  Happy for him.

Morgan may or may not be a bust, but you cannot expect a GM to hit a grand slam on every pick. Morgan might end up being a hit by pitch and he ends up developing into a quality long term back up QB. There is no way to evaluate a QB pick in a pandemic year that didn't have a pre-season. After a full training camp and pre-season, we can decide if we want to tar and feather our GM for missing on a fourth round lotto ticket. 

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Jets fans:  "We need to sit our next rookie QB for a while.  Throwing Darnold in there right away was a mistake!"

Also Jets fans:  "lol what a wasted pick Morgan was he doesn't even play"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mark78 said:

JAMES MORGAN!

He was picked in the 4th round and has not seen a snap in a meaningless year.  Why start Flacco in those games when we had 0 chance of making the playoffs; Especially after witnessing how inept Flacco was.  

For example, in a game last month Jake Luton, had a 68.4 completion percentage and 304 yards.  He was a 6th rounder and was chosen 64 picks after Morgan.

So, we used a 4th round pick on a backup QB who isn’t even good enough to see the field in a situation where losing may be the optimal outcome.  This was a horrible pick and it is looking like an enormous project to even let him get a taste of an NFL game.  

WOW!  Someone who thinks James Morgan was a bad pick, when he hasn't even played a snap.  

HOW ORIGINAL!

• Upvote 3