Arthur Smith coming In Tonight

If you look at Saleh, Arthur Smith— how do their respective groups play? I think JD wants our identity to be a kick your ass type identity. Tough. Will punch you in the face. I am probably wrong but just a thought. 

That’s a great point, didn’t think of it like that. Putting the pieces of the puzzle together, I figured JD narrowed it down to an offensive Guy and a defensive Guy. Martindale would fit that role as well.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

He has pitched the same OCs as Saleh: Mike LaFleur and Mike McDaniel. 

Brandon Staley, too, has pitched these guys. 

Hate to break it to all these candidates, but there are only 2 of these guys. I hope the Jets realize they're going to have to make them among the highest paid OCs in the league... they're in serious demand. 

Staley I think is the best one out there.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Drums said:

If you look at Saleh, Arthur Smith— how do their respective groups play? I think JD wants our identity to be a kick your ass type identity. Tough. Will punch you in the face. I am probably wrong but just a thought. 

That's true there is a similarity there.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

2 months ago I was really high on Smith.  For whatever reason, I'm not now.  Obviously I wasn't in on interviews etc, so I have no reason for the change, but I just don't feel it with him.

I think we’re all on the culture changer CEO bandwagon.

• Upvote 1

And? They interviewed 9 coaches and coordinators and have only had second interviews with saleh and now smith. Some of the interviewees are on teams still in the playoffs so it makes perfect sense that they can’t do a face to face interview right now.  It also doesn’t seem like the jets are going to settle on one guy without doing a second interview with others.  As for saleh he’s going to interview at philly so maybe the jets aren’t his first choice either.

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Staley I think is the best one out there.

Since he was reported as a candidate the more ive read about him the more and more he became my favorite for the job.  I really think he's going to be an excellent coach.. call me superstitious, but i cant bet against the John Carroll University lineage lol 

• Upvote 1

Frederick-Smith-FEDEX-470x230.jpeg

Arthur Smith is the heir to the FedEx empire, his father is the founder of that company with a net worth of $5 billion dollars.

He ain't coming here.  It could ruin his family brand and cost FedEx billions of dollars in the process.  Imagine "ArtEx" t-shirts and billboards and (wait for it) flying planes when the fans tire of him after 4 weeks.

SAR I

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Since he was reported as a candidate the more ive read about him the more and more he became my favorite for the job.  I really think he's going to be an excellent coach.. call me superstitious, but i cant bet against the John Carroll University lineage lol 

Totally agree. Seems like he’s got good football knowledge on both sides, coaches to his players’ skill sets, is serious enough that he won’t get walked over, but reads people well enough that he won’t wear out his welcome. I think he’s the best of the bunch.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Arthur Smith is the heir to the FedEx empire, his father is the founder of that company with a net worth of $5 billion dollars.

He ain't coming here.  It could ruin his family brand and cost FedEx billions of dollars in the process.  Imagine "ArtEx" t-shirts and billboards and (wait for it) flying planes when the fans tire of him after 4 weeks.

SAR I

This is great news maybe he will buy the team build us a new stadium. 

Change those hideous uniforms. 

Get rid of PSL's and get all the real fans back. 

joewilly12

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Based on what. 

What I’ve read about him and how insanely respected he is around the league. 

Former QB in college and defensive whiz, gives the perfect full vision to be a HC.

It’s all guesswork. None of us know if any of these guys are worth a sh*t

• Upvote 1

Just now, ScarletKnight89 said:

I have concerns about him.

His offense is so heavily based around a running back that he can't just find anywhere. He's done great work with Tannehill, AJ Brown, and Cory Davis as well but I worry about the centerpiece of his offense being built so heavily around Henry.

Draft Etienne or Harris easy fix for that. 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Assuming these guys are close on the Jets list, I would probably offer to each and try to get someone to sign first. Whoever signs first gets a head-start on hiring potential coordinators, and it's especially important for these 3 as they're targeting the same staff members. San Francisco can't block LaFleur/McDaniel, so try to hire either and entice by making them among the highest paid offensive coordinators in the league... 

Thanks for the insight, FG.

Question:  Do you know what ex-NFL head coaches are going to be interviewed besides Lewis?  Any word on Pederson or Garrett?

SAR I

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm interested to see how the Jets play this. I'm pretty sure among the reasons the Jets really like Saleh/Smith/Staley are their staff choices (all want LaFleur/McDaniel). Essentially, all these candidates want to run a Shanahan-style ball control offense. 

Saleh is going to weigh his options/play hardball. Detroit still in the mix, Jacksonville may be if Meyer spurns them, and gets the opportunity to hear out Philadelphia as a fall back. Personally, I think he wants either the Detroit job or the Jacksonville job, but recognizes the strength of the Jets job.

Smith is in extreme demand with Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Detroit all interested with Jacksonville as a backup plan. I think he's the top option in Atlanta, but there are more lucrative jobs awaiting him. Similar to Saleh, he can afford to be patient right now. I get some fans see him as Adam Gase 2.0 merely because of how he looks, but apparently he's more of a CEO type. His prefered coordinators make it evident that he'd avoid play-calling in a perfect world. 

Staley may only look to accept a coaching job if it's with the Chargers. Do you take the risk and wait for him if he's not 100% in on the job? Soonest you'll likely meet is tomorrow (if Jets fly to him) or Sunday. 

Assuming these guys are close on the Jets list, I would probably offer to each and try to get someone to sign first. Whoever signs first gets a head-start on hiring potential coordinators, and it's especially important for these 3 as they're targeting the same staff members. San Francisco can't block LaFleur/McDaniel, so try to hire either and entice by making them among the highest paid offensive coordinators in the league... 

We’re gonna be left with Marvin Lewis aren’t we. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You are nothing if not consistent. 

• Haha 1

Do we have a guy in a bush outside 1 Jets Drive tonight too?

Smith, while highly successful in Tennessee, gets a Meh from me.  Some podcasts I’ve listened to kinda peg him to be a Gase type / not so great with media and always in the playbook.  The posts saying he’s pitched the SF guys as OC make it seem a bit better though.