Watson may have just indicated legit interest in the Jets

4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

This may not be the thread for this since there are many QB related topics, but was just reading the article below. Now people keep saying Fields is not a fit with this new scheme but as I bold the statement below from the article it screams as a fit for either Watson or Fields as the better RPO type QBs than Darnold or Wilson. I could be wrong but this would seem to me that if the price as far as trade is right Jets will possibly take Watson, but if not then take Fields.  

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/robert-saleh-begins-overhauling-jets-offensive-staff/

Knapp has NFL experience as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, including his work with Michael Vick with the Falcons from 2004-06. Calabrese, a former college quarterback, was the offensive coordinator at Wagner College before becoming an offensive quality control coach with Denver from 2019-20.

LaFleur, who’s expected to run Kyle Shanahan’s offense that features a lot of motion and run-pass option in its scheme, entered the NFL as an offensive intern with the Browns in 2014 and then was an offensive assistant with the Falcons from 2015 to 2016. He joined the 49ers in 2017 as a passing game coordinator and receivers coach.

Though the exact same thing when I read the article. 

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

I think Joe Douglas makes two separate offers:

One involving the number two overall pick, our 2nd rounder and Sam and other lesser draft considerations 

And then another without the #2 overall pick.  Specifically, the 2 Seattle first rounders and our own first rounder next year

give them a choice - it will create them feeling a sense of control

naturally they have to get #2 overall- they’ll counter with a mix of the two options and feel like they won when we give them

#2 overall, Sam, and our first rounder next year

They'll feel like winners 

Three firsts? GTFOH. If JD does that he is an idiot. #2 needs to be completely off the table. 2 first maximum both Seattle's as absolute top offer, but it's a dumb move. So many hear just want any big name out there forget about picks, opportunity cost, cap, just get the guy who won 5 games this year. NO

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Three firsts? GTFOH. If JD does that he is an idiot. #2 needs to be completely off the table. 2 first maximum both Seattle's as absolute top offer, but it's a dumb move. So many hear just want any big name out there forget about picks, opportunity cost, cap, just get the guy who won 5 games this year. NO

clapping applause GIF

5 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

This may not be the thread for this since there are many QB related topics, but was just reading the article below. Now people keep saying Fields is not a fit with this new scheme but as I bold the statement below from the article it screams as a fit for either Watson or Fields as the better RPO type QBs than Darnold or Wilson. I could be wrong but this would seem to me that if the price as far as trade is right Jets will possibly take Watson, but if not then take Fields.  

https://nypost.com/2021/01/18/robert-saleh-begins-overhauling-jets-offensive-staff/

Knapp has NFL experience as an offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, including his work with Michael Vick with the Falcons from 2004-06. Calabrese, a former college quarterback, was the offensive coordinator at Wagner College before becoming an offensive quality control coach with Denver from 2019-20.

LaFleur, who’s expected to run Kyle Shanahan’s offense that features a lot of motion and run-pass option in its scheme, entered the NFL as an offensive intern with the Browns in 2014 and then was an offensive assistant with the Falcons from 2015 to 2016. He joined the 49ers in 2017 as a passing game coordinator and receivers coach.

Yea, but some jet fans, want us to mortgage a future we don't already have just to get a guy who is already paid in like the gazillions, and give away multiple draft picks, when we can pick Fields at #2 if JD and Saleh feel he's the best fit for the new offense.  Mind boggling...

One question I'd be curious about......  What if the Jets had the #1 pick?  Do you ignore all talk of Watson's availability because you're taking Trevor (who although is a great prospect still has bust risk.  What if he's Jared Goff?)?

Or, do you trade that #1 pick and something else minor (like the #34) for Watson because he's a sure thing?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Yea, but some jet fans, want us to mortgage a future we don't already have just to get a guy who is already paid in like the gazillions, and give away multiple draft picks, when we can pick Fields at #2 if JD and Saleh feel he's the best fit for the new offense.  Mind boggling...

We wouldn't be mortgaging our future, because Watson would BE our future.  Plus Saleh, Becton, Quinnen Williams, Mims, and the many other picks the team has even after a Watson trade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

One question I'd be curious about......  What if the Jets had the #1 pick?  Do you ignore all talk of Watson's availability because you're taking Trevor (who although is a great prospect still has bust risk.  What if he's Jared Goff?)?

Or, do you trade that #1 pick and something else minor (like the #34) for Watson because he's a sure thing?

I go after Watson over Lawrence and don't look back.  Yes, a supposed "can't miss" QB under cheap team control for 5 years is hard to pass up.  I just don't think Lawrence is at all a "can't miss" prospect, albeit an excellent one, while Watson is a rock solid top 5 QB at age 25.  And he's not THAT expensive as far as franchise QB contracts go.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We wouldn't be mortgaging our future, because Watson would BE our future.  Plus Saleh, Becton, Quinnnen Williams, Mims, and the many other picks the team has.  

Exactly how many picks do you think it will take to get Watson ?  Just curious.

Just now, 68JET11 said:

Exactly how many picks do you think it will take to get Watson ?  Just curious.

It depends on whether the # 2 pick is involved.  Assuming it is, I think three 1st rounders would be about right.  If the # 2 pick is NOT involved, it would be three 1st rounders plus additional pick(s).

I still do that in a heartbeat.  Either deal.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

It depends on whether the # 2 pick is involved.  Assuming it is, I think three 1st rounders would be about right.  If the # 2 pick is NOT involved, it would be three 1st rounders plus additional pick(s).

So trading up for Darnold and losing 3 2nd's rounders wasn't enough you want to give up 3 1st's... Now I know you're crazy and I like you lol...

3 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

So trading up for Darnold and losing 3 2nd's rounders wasn't enough you want to give up 3 1st's... Now I know you're crazy and I like you lol...

Sam Darnold sucks, and we didn't even know he'd be the QB that was at 3 when that trade was executed.  Deshaun Watson is a lock elite QB at age 25.  It's not a good comparison.  A QB like Watson has never potentially come available in this manner before.  Throw all comparisons and analogies out of the window.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam Darnold sucks, and we didn't even know he'd be the QB that was at 3 when that trade was executed.  Deshaun Watson is a lock elite QB at age 25.  It's not a good comparison.  A QB like Watson has never potentially come available like this before.  Throw all comparisons and analogies out of the window.

I think Watson is very good, and I'll agree with you there, however I don't agree with trading for him if it means having to give up multiple 1st's...

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

I think Watson is very good, and I'll agree with you there, however I don't agree with trading for him if it means having to give up multiple 1st's...

What do you think the plan is for our four 2021-22 1st round picks going forward?  What would you like to see come out of those picks?

1 hour ago, varjet said:

So may be its both 1s this year (I would not trade the Seahawks pick next year-it could be high).   Maybe we take another large contract off the Texans hands.   But the Jets would not only be taking Watson's contract off of the Texans hands, but will be giving them a cheap rookie contract of a player many deem comparable.  

Yeah, that's the thing about elite franchise QBs, they demand a lot of money because they're worth it.

And until Fields or Wilson or whoever can prove that they can throw for 4800 yds, 33 TDs, at 70% comp to only 7 INTs in the NFL, they are NOT comparable to Deshaun Watson.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

What do you think the plan is for our multiple 1sts going forward?  What would you like to see come out of those picks?

Depending on what this draft looks like, I'd really like to get the OL done this year. I want WR, also, but I'm hoping we can lure a good one in FA as well. I also hope that with the upcoming 1st's that we can get our monster Edge. Also CB's we need one if Bryce doesn't pan out.

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The No. 2 pick is worth 2600 points in JJ's chart.  Seattle's pick is worth 760.  Two of those picks are worth 1540, still way below 2600.

With the No 2 pick you can pick a QB that could be great and lock him in on a five year contact.  There is obviously some risk there. 

So trading the 2 pick, plus another first, in exchange for a veteran QB and assuming his more expensive contract, seems like a fair exchange to me.  Anything more than that would not be worth it.  The Jets need players.   They are better off building the team with draft picks and finding a QB another way, including by trying to work with Darnold next year for $4.6mm when they are building anyway.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

I get the excuse he had no weapons but what was the excuse for Houston going 4-10??  I agree Watson had a Pro Bowl season but what was missing on that team?? Defense??? 

I don't remember the specific numbers, but their defense in 2020 was a problem. While their offensive points actually increased from 2019 to 2020, their defensive points allowed also increased by a larger margin.

5 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Depending on what this draft looks like, I'd really like to get the OL done this year. I want WR, also, but I'm hoping we can lure a good one in FA as well. I also hope that with the upcoming 1st's that we can get our monster Edge. Also CB's we need one if Bryce doesn't pan out.

Makes sense.  Now what if I told you that the OL will suddenly look like a top half unit with Watson under center, our WR trio would be Robinson/Godwin, Mims and Crowder, and we could still use a high pick(s) on EDGE and/or Corner, particularly after trading Darnold away for a pick(s)?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

The No. 2 pick is worth 2600 points in JJ's chart.  Seattle's pick is worth 760.  Two of those picks are worth 1540, still way below 2600.

With the No 2 pick you can pick a QB that could be great and lock him in on a five year contact.  There is obviously some risk there. 

So trading the 2 pick, plus another first, in exchange for a veteran QB and assuming his more expensive contract, seems like a fair exchange to me.  Anything more than that would not be worth it.  The Jets need players.   They are better off building the team with draft picks and finding a QB another way, including by trying to work with Darnold next year for $4.6mm when they are building anyway.  

If Douglas could get Watson for just two 1sts, I'd kiss him on the mouth.  

Since this is an unprecedented situation, and there'd undoubtedly be a bidding war for Watson's services, I think three 1sts would still be the end result.  But then again, the Texans' have proven to be incompetent, so you never know.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Makes sense.  Now what if I told you that the OL will suddenly look like a top half unit with Watson under center, our WR trio would be Robinson/Godwin, Mims and Crowder, and we could still use a high pick(s) on EDGE and/or Corner, particularly after trading Darnold away for a pick(s)?

Jets have been full of what if's for far too long. So I guess maybe since I'm older than you, I might be a little more pessimistic than you, but if it did work out the way you believe, I'd be for it.

2 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Jets have been full of what if's for far too long. So I guess maybe since I'm older than you, I might be a little more pessimistic than you, but if it did work out the way you believe, I'd be for it.

All of this is one giant "what if" that won't be answered until mid-March.  Watson may well end up staying in Houston.  Or he may end up in Miami.  But any hypothetical that results in the Jets getting an elite QB just entering his prime is a terrific end result for the Jets.  No one would end up remembering what the Jets gave up to get him, or how expensive his contract was.  

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

So we keep saying top-five but where does Watson actually rank as a 2021 projection. With Drew Brees retiring and Ben Roethlisberger broken down, I think Watson is top 5-7

Rodgers

Mahomes

Wilson

Allen

Herbert

Watson 

Brady

I probably agree with this.  You don't list Lamar but I don't think I would either.  His best year may turn out to his first unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

You are placing an incredible amount of trust in a GM who has 1 draft under his belt. It’s been 50 years since we had a FQB and our lack of Divisional titles and Championship level play can all be traced back to the lack of that 1 player. 

We now have an opportunity to move forward with that 1 player we have been lacking all these years and you are willing to gamble on Sam Darnold somehow becoming that player after 3 years of futility? 

Definition of Insanity:Politics Corona GIF by INTO ACT!ON

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What do you think the plan is for our four 2021-22 1st round picks going forward?  What would you like to see come out of those picks?

British Lol GIF by BBC America

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

You are placing an incredible amount of trust in a GM who has 1 draft under his belt. It’s been 50 years since we had a FQB and our lack of Divisional titles and Championship level play can all be traced back to the lack of that 1 player. 

We now have an opportunity to move forward with that 1 player we have been lacking all these years and you are willing to gamble on Sam Darnold somehow becoming that player after 3 years of futility? 

None of my posts ever said I was willing to gamble on Sam... I just said that I had no interest in trading away a ton of draft capitol for Watson. 

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Well, in all fairness one of those No 1 picks would be spent on Fields. So 40 mil plus 2 1st round picks and Fields. I remember the Jets drafting four players in the first round a couple of decades ago with very mixed results. Quantity doesn't guarantee quality.

Exactly.  Plus, Watson's contract isn't even $40M.  Not only was it never that much in the first place (the entire deal was actually $39M/year), when you take out the $27M signing bonus Houston already paid him, the yearly # drops even further.  Then of course the fact that whoever they take with all of those picks (including, in this case, Fields) would all have contracts of their own, that means all that supposed additional money the Jets would have only further decreases.

If anyone would rather not make such a deal, then that's their prerogative, but it would seem there's a lot of false narratives flying around in an attempt to justify that position.

• Upvote 3