The Jets Need to Extend Darnold

4 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

The Jets need to move on from Darnold.  Any other opinion suggests you didn't watch the games this year.

I dont see how you can point all the blame on him, I mean really look at who his offensive genius of a coach was, look at who he was throwing the ball too and look who was protecting him,  no quarterback in NFL would succeed at all 

• Upvote 1

The only reason to sign Sam to a long term deal is you think he's going to be great.  If Sam doesn't think he's going to be great and is willing to sign for second tier money, I would be inclined to believe him.  

I would rather keep him let him prove he's fantastic and if he won't sign a mega deal after proving it franchise him.

We have the 2nd pick in the draft.  You can't bet on Sam by going half in.  He's either our guy or he isn't.  This is why Douglas and Saleh are getting paid.  If they really believe in him go for the 5th year option.  This is what our GM and HC is getting paid for.  Saleh didn't say put the car in second gear with one foot on the gas and one on the brake.  

10 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Lol what? You wanna guarantee Darnold 3 years worth of salaries? That too at a $21mil average? Why is Darnold worth the 20th QB when he had a year worth around the 32nd QB? He’ll be lucky to pocket even half that with minimal guarantees. 

No, he doesn't. He said the 2022 and 2023 contracts are only guaranteed if Sam is on the roster -- you can cut him and walk away clean after one year.

You're essentially giving him a $16mm signing bonus in order to maximize his value for a trade or have him under contract for cheap if you roll with him and he works out.

You're "buying" flexibility.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right -- read his write up. He explains why even if you are shipping Darnold out of town their are benefits to having him on a reasonable contract the other team can walk away from. It increases his trade value.

For Christ sakes this is legitimately the worst starting QB in the NFL. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Right -- read his write up. He explains why even if you are shipping Darnold out of town their are benefits to having him on a reasonable contract the other team can walk away from. It increases his trade value.

If Sam and his agent believe Sam Darnold is an elite NFL starting QB why would they give the Jets the ability to tie him up with an open trade clause for 16 million?  If he believes in himself even a little bit he would tell them to pound salt.  

• Upvote 1

I was going to write a lengthy serious answer, then I accidentally hit something, changed the webpage, and lost my draft reply :(

Not rewriting that all over, so suffice to say, I disagree that Darnold should be resigned, and I have well thought out reasons for that view.  Sorry Doggin, I'm disappointed you didn't get to read it tbqh. :(

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

From a strictly financial standpoint, @Doggin94it makes a compelling argument, especially from the Jets position (all this assuming we struck out trading for Watson).

But if I were Sam? I don't know. I think I might refuse that and take a chance on next year. Without getting into the specifics, the Jets will add talent on his side of the ball this offseason - hopefully a lot. And the offensive system being installed this year is an ideal fit for Darnold. 

I think I'd roll the dice if I were him.  

BTW like the new avatar , would love the Jets to draft Owusu-Koromoah

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

I was going to write a lengthy serious answer, then I accidentally hit something, changed the webpage, and lost my draft reply :(

Not rewriting that all over, so suffice to say, I disagree that Darnold should be resigned, and I have well thought out reasons for that view.  

Believe me we don't need a whole lot of reasons for not wanting to extend Sam at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

BTW like the new avatar , would love the Jets to draft Owusu-Koromoah

Appreciate it. I don't wanna derail the thread, but just quickly I'll say the dude reminds me of the Honey Badger but at LB: an undersized but ridiculously athletic defender that plays fast and violent.

I don't know if the value lines up for us at any pick, but I think if you're a fan of the sport, you've got to enjoy watching him play. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Appreciate it. I don't wanna derail the thread, but just quickly I'll say the dude reminds me of the Honey Badger but at LB: an undersized but ridiculously athletic defender that plays fast and violent.

I don't know if the value lines up for us at any pick, but I think if you're a fan of the sport, you've got to enjoy watching him play. 

Last post off topic I promise. If he falls to 23 I'd jump on him or Zaven Collins, I do also like Horn 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Lol what? You wanna guarantee Darnold 3 years worth of salaries? That too at a $21mil average? Why is Darnold worth the 20th QB when he had a year worth around the 32nd QB? He’ll be lucky to pocket even half that with minimal guarantees. 

Maybe at 15m x year with incentives.