Marcus Maye’s Agent Takes to Twitter to rip Gang Green

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Surely, the Panthers will be in a rush to extend Robby Anderson then. I mean, he was top five in yards! They didn’t let Anderson go over money. They let him go because he’s a loon.

The panthers are clearing cap space for Watson. Jd should bring robby back to ny. He's entertaining. 

they have to pay someone. I don't understand how jd thought George Fant was worth robbys money. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I don't blame Maye's agent.  If they tag him, he will be 29 before he sees free agency.  He will probably end up on the carousel signing one year deals like McCourty and Logan Ryan.  

As he should be for being an old prospect and injured all the time 

There's a reason why Sam at 23 has value in year 4. Maye was old when he was drafted. 

1 hour ago, Alka said:

To be fair, JD admitted he made a mistake with Robbie.  I made a mistake with Robbie as well.  I thought that he was more of a "one-trick pony", and he proved me and others wrong. 

It isn't unforgivable to me if you make a mistake and learn from it, especially a mistake that others who felt the same way at the time.

If making mistakes and learning from them were the same, the Jets would be super bowl contenders 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If making mistakes and learning from them were the same, the Jets would be super bowl contenders 

You just made me laugh with your comment.  I laughed because you are 100% correct!!!

The Jets have had a history of never learning from their mistakes.  That is why they suck!

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The panthers are clearing cap space for Watson. Jd should bring robby back to ny. He's entertaining. 

they have to pay someone. I don't understand how jd thought George Fant was worth robbys money. 

Ah Robby.  The apple of our eye.  Or was it the walnut?  I can never get that straight.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bitonti said:

I agree it sets a bad standard that the team can be pushed around on Twitter by its players 

The thing is that they don't have any interest in paying for anyone so they have to trade these dudes. The malcontents have nothing to lose because no one gets paid. Except for cj mosely somehow or trumaine Johnson still dead cap. They pay losers and let the home grown guys walk 

Let's go pay Marcus Maye!

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

As he should be for being an old prospect and injured all the time 

There's a reason why Sam at 23 has value in year 4. Maye was old when he was drafted. 

Wait!  Maybe that's not such a great idea.  Glad you realized that.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Remember when the Jets gave a ton of money to Wilkerson and Quincy Enunwa?  Maybe they are learning from that mistake and are trying to apply that knowledge.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, isired said:

I wrote above about all the quality safeties, but fully expected someone to say "why let Adams go just to sign Simmons for $$$$" or some variant of "when's the last time someone said a team was 'a safety away from a SB run'?"

And they'd he right. Sign Maye, or another of the similarly skilled FA safeties, but don't pay Simmons what he's gonna get.

Justin Simmons brings identity, leadership and a ball hawk to the D 16 career interceptions in 4-5 years in the NFL. 

The D needs a leader. 

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's go pay Marcus Maye!

Wait!  Maybe that's not such a great idea.  Glad you realzed that.

Remember when the Jets gave a ton of money to Wilkerson and Quincy Enunwa?  Maybe they are learning from that mistake and are trying to apply that knowledge.

im not in favor of paying Marcus Maye. personally i  dont even think he's worth the franchise tag 

but if teams make a guy the franchise player but have no intention of signing him long term it makes players and their agents crazy 

it's not really about money as these can often be lucrative deals, especially if they get tagged 2x.  it's short term uncertainty i.e. Maye blows a knee and loses everything.  

Wilkerson was actually the last time a Jets player was franchised, if memory serves. This is why the team is too barren to take on a QB at 2 they haven't resigned a draft pick since ever 

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

im not in favor of paying Marcus Maye. personally i  dont even think he's worth the franchise tag 

but if teams make a guy the franchise player but have no intention of signing him long term it makes players and their agents crazy 

it's not really about money as these can often be lucrative deals, especially if they get tagged 2x.  it's short term uncertainty i.e. Maye blows a knee and loses everything.  

Wilkerson was actually the last time a Jets player was franchised, if memory serves. This is why the team is too barren to take on a QB at 2 they haven't resigned a draft pick since ever 

Do teams love the Steelers front office?  They still seem to be able to put some talent on the field.  I don't want to worry about players and their agents.  We have enough money to attract people.  

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do teams love the Steelers front office?  They still seem to be able to put some talent on the field.  I don't want to worry about players and their agents.  We have enough money to attract people.  

if the only reason an FA will play for Jets is money, that's how we ended up with Trumaine johnson, Bell and CJ mosely as their highest paid players 

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if the only reason an FA will play for Jets is money, that's how we ended up with Trumaine johnson, Bell and CJ mosely as their highest paid players 

No.  We ended up with them because our GM is a poor judge of talent and people. Why do players play for the Steelers?  Their love of pierogies?  Vicinity to Fallingwater? 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

I agree it sets a bad standard that the team can be pushed around on Twitter by its players 

The thing is that they don't have any interest in paying for anyone so they have to trade these dudes. The malcontents have nothing to lose because no one gets paid. Except for cj mosely somehow or trumaine Johnson still dead cap. They pay losers and let the home grown guys walk 

Do you think paying Jamal Adams would have been a better decision than getting what Douglas got from Seattle for him?

42 minutes ago, chad2coles said:

Do you think paying Jamal Adams would have been a better decision than getting what Douglas got from Seattle for him?

Let's see what happens with 23 pick and next year and we can answer this 

I didn't think ashtyn davis would be worse than Leonard Williams but here we are 

These options are certainly more affordable than paying for talent. 

Hey side note what does woody invest the cap space in? I hope it's gamestop and AMC at least we can feel good about that. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

No.  We ended up with them because our GM is a poor judge of talent and people. Why do players play for the Steelers?  Their love of pierogies?  Vicinity to Fallingwater? 

The steelers are a premium franchise that has all sorts of hardware and had like 4 head coaches ever 

The Jets are a laughing stock punchline that changes head coaches like babies through diapers 

Why do you keep bringing up the steelers? What do these teams have in common, other than owners who were diplomats. 

The Jets wish they were the steelers. 

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The steelers are a premium franchise that has all sorts of hardware and had like 4 head coaches ever 

The Jets are a laughing stock punchline that changes head coaches like babies through diapers 

Why do you keep bringing up the steelers? What do these teams have in common, other than owners who were diplomats. 

Yes, the Jets wish they were the Steelers.  How do you become like the Steelers?  My suggestion is by acting like them..  Do you think we should emulate the Jaguars? 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That really means nothing on the Jets at this point.  One of the worst teams in recent history talent wise tip to bottom so an average safety gets named mvp.

Well he wasn't voted team MVP because he's the most talented guy on the team. He was voted team MVP because he's a well respected leader.

You can't preach about building culture and then not reward a guy like that when you have tons of cap space.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas didn't draft Marcus Maye (and likely never would have) and has no obligation to sign players just to sign them. 

Of course not. 

Maye is a nice player but he's no superstar, is pretty replaceable, and at his age certainly would be a poor gamble on a 4+ year deal. 

He's a team leader who was voted team MVP by the locker room. 4 year deals aren't really 4 year deals. Relative to franchising him the four year contract (where only two years are really guaranteed) won't have any impact on a team with the cap space the Jets have, and it's a good optic move for building culture. I don't think you're really saving much by not paying him unless JD is really going to be aggressive in FA, which I kind of doubt.

I'm sure when Quinnen Williams and Becton's deals are coming up they'll get paid nicely.  Maye isn't in that category.  It's not enough just to be homegrown.  You have to be worth the coin. 

Well yeah. They're in a totally different category than Maye, not arguing that.

It's not Douglas' fault that the team lacks homegrown players worthy of 2nd contracts.  Some of the better players on this team the last decade wouldn't even start for many teams.  Leonard Williams just had a nice season, but even the Giants are hesitant to hand him a long-term deal.  Robby Anderson has 1 year left in Carolina and will likely head to his 3rd team afterwards.

The fact that the number of Jets players worthy of second deals is limited is more reason to pay Maye, who is actually good and well respected in the locker room.

I'm not advocating breaking the bank on some crazy deal. Just give him a 4 year teal with two years guaranteed that looks more impressive than it actually is.

18 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I don’t understand when they get mad for getting tagged. They’re getting top 5 money, he’s still a young guy, and will still most likely get a contract after this year. Kirk Cousins made like a billion dollars getting tagged twice and then receiving his guaranteed contract. 

This year is a little different, used to be the average of the top 5 highest paid at the position. Now it is the average of the top 5 at your position over the last 5 years - meaning the tag is decreasing by 10%ish ($11M)

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Who was worth re signing?

I don't buy the Jets are cheap thing.  They gave out huge contracts to Tru, to Bell, to Q.   All were catastrophic and counted for tens of millions in dead cap space.  This isn't baseball, there is a salary floor, teams have to spend to it.

They have drafted poorly for years and years, and combined it with poor FA signings.  Hence a terrible team.

55 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Of course not. 

He's a team leader who was voted team MVP by the locker room. 4 year deals aren't really 4 year deals. Relative to franchising him the four year contract (where only two years are really guaranteed) won't have any impact on a team with the cap space the Jets have, and it's a good optic move for building culture. I don't think you're really saving much by not paying him unless JD is really going to be aggressive in FA, which I kind of doubt.

The fact that the number of Jets players worthy of second deals is limited is more reason to pay Maye, who is actually good and well respected in the locker room.

I'm not advocating breaking the bank on some crazy deal. Just give him a 4 year teal with two years guaranteed that looks more impressive than it actually is.

Jamal Adams was a 2-time team MVP, as voted by the locker room.  Did the team riot when he was traded away?

Even a 4-year deal that is really a 2-year guaranteed deal is generous at his age, especially given the dearth of Safeties that are about to be on the open market this offseason.  

It just doesn't make practical business sense that we HAVE to bring him back on a multi-year deal, as the upside of having a leader SS out there isn't something a team has to have.  He's been a leader on a really bad team, after all. 

If they choose to re-sign him, great.  If they choose to franchise him or let him walk in free agency, I don't see a big problem with that either.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jamal Adams was a 2-time team MVP, as voted by the locker room.  Did the team riot when he was traded away?

Even a 4-year deal that is really a 2-year guaranteed deal is generous at his age, especially given the dearth of Safeties that are about to be on the open market this offseason.  

It just doesn't make practical business sense that we HAVE to bring him back on a multi-year deal, as the upside of having a leader SS out there isn't something a team has to have.  He's been a leader on a really bad team, after all. 

If they choose to re-sign him, great.  If they choose to franchise him or let him walk in free agency, I don't see a big problem with that either.  

There’s so many safeties available. However, bringing back Maye for $13 million a year is a better move than bringing in a new safety for $12 million a year. It looks good to fans and to players who were here through the bad years and really Maye to any other safety is a lateral move. We’re not gonna miss the money or the cap space.

3 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

There’s so many safeties available. However, bringing back Maye for $13 million a year is a better move than bringing in a new safety for $12 million a year. It looks good to fans and to players who were here through the bad years and really Maye to any other safety is a lateral move. We’re not gonna miss the money or the cap space.

I'd rather have Justin Simmons at whatever he'd cost as opposed to Maye.  A true center fielder with 9 INTs in the last 2 years.  But I get this take.  

Sucks for Maye but there’s no reason to sign him to a long term deal lol he was an old rookie why would we pay more than we have to?  Let’s be real here if he wasn’t a Jets  a free agent would anyone want to bring him in off the street at 12+mil? The answer is no

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

To be clear, I don't think this is a big deal either way. I'm just in favor of giving him a reasonable extension because I think it sends a good message to the locker room that we're building something here, and I like him as a player.

I'd also argue the Adams thing was a little different -- he was clearly the best performing player on the team but I never got the sense he was... ahem... beloved by his teammates.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

The Jets are a joke and nobody wants to play here, but also we shouldn’t use money to lure FAs because then we’re a team of mercenaries. So what’s the solution? This is just like the QB thing. Darnold isn’t the guy, but also we absolutely have to take a tackle who hasn’t played in a year-plus at 2, and also we shouldn’t trade for Deshaun Watson. Go mope on your own time, Eeyore.

10 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Of course not. 

How do you know Douglas hasn't already offered him a deal like that?

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

Let's see what happens with 23 pick and next year and we can answer this 

I didn't think ashtyn davis would be worse than Leonard Williams but here we are 

These options are certainly more affordable than paying for talent. 

Hey side note what does woody invest the cap space in? I hope it's gamestop and AMC at least we can feel good about that. 

You assumed that a guy Douglas drafted in the 3rd round would be better in his first year than a consensus top 5 overall pick that went to a pro bowl his 2nd year in the league?

On 3/3/2021 at 8:08 AM, slats said:

Both positions are low value positions. These are generally physically smaller players (5'10 - 6'1', in the 210-220lb range) who are obviously athletic enough to be professional football players, but if they had elite skills they'd be CBs or WRs making the truly elite money. Safeties and RBs essentially grow on trees, and replacements can be found at virtually anytime. That's why they don't get the big bucks. It's been happening recently a little bit at the RB position, but buyer's remorse always sets in within a year or two of those deals. For a safety to get up there he has to be Polamalu or Reed, and those players are extremely rare. 

Maye and his agent should be glad the tag is so affordable. Sure, he could strike it rich on the open market, but he could also price himself out of it and lose a game of musical chairs in a sea of available safeties. He should sign it before the ink is dry, and be happy to pocket nearly twice as much in 2021 as he did in his first four years in the league. That's really not too shabby. 

I think these things go in cycles. Teams know/learn which are lower-value positions, but every now & then 1-2 guys come along who seem to break that mold & it leads to decisions they soon regret. e.g. using QB-type picks &/or elite LT/EDGE money on such an injury-prone position like RB; or seeing 1-2 disproportionate contracts for safeties (before seeing if the move leads to future team success) leading to taking one so early in the draft. 

In reality when there's a high-value position, even if you're somewhat disappointed in the player it can still be a good pick. A decent but certainly not LT, taken early in the draft, still serves a valuable purpose. You wish he was dominant but if all you get for your top 10 pick is a Jason Fabini good-not-great production then it's still not a pick you really regret. 

You take a safety or a RB (or a TE) that early? He'd better prove to be not just a star player but a star player that wins you games in a way where his replacement would have probably led to losses (like Polamalu or Reed, as you alluded to here). I've always felt this. Mel Kiper may be a good judge of college talent, but he's never assembled so much as a .500 team at the NFL level so he can sit back and rank prospects/picks by pure BAP. 

I can understand why Maye is pissed, though, and do sympathize with him here. The current CBA incentivizes franchise tagging in a way that (the former) true top-5 tag $ often discouraged it (never mind tagging twice in a row). That goes even more for a position like safety, which 5 years ago had almost no high-end contracts. All the current safety contracts $10.5MM or higher (never mind the $14-15MM ones) were inked in 2019-20, and the tag figure is effectively the average franchise tag numbers for the past 5 years, so it's going to take another 2 years for the safety position's tag figure to really catch up. It only makes it worse for him (and others getting tagged this year) that the multiple at the end of the calculation is lowered further because of the expectedly-lower 2021 cap when he's coming off his best & most standout season. The teams can hardly be blamed for that last part (on the contrary, there was tremendous pressure to cancel the season - or a significant/early portion of it - outright, which would have lowered it further). 

But yeah I'm ok with giving him an extension instead of a tag, but unfortunately for Maye it's going to have to factor in his locked-in ceiling for 2021. In the next life don't wait until you're 24 to enter the NFL Draft, screw another year of hanging out with your college buddies/teammates, and finish getting your degree online and/or in the offseason(s). Or don't complain that the clock is ticking on your career when you get tagged.