With my 9th post I am ready to call this...

OMA

It no longer is a question of where things are going with the qb position in April.  The combination of new staff, salary implications, 2022 QB prospects and skill set of Wilson make it a near certainty the NYJ will draft him at 2.  I think Joe and team expect improvement in 2021 to a point where they hope/plan to never be in the position again of being able to draft elite talent (top 5 pick lets say) this high in the draft.

Rather than argue Sam should be kept again and again I would be interested in what the forum thinks about how to not have Sam V2 with Wilson.  

Does he start day one or sit ?  What is your preference

Do we look at a fellow Utah Qb ( i am aware different schools) like Alex Smith to mentor ?

Does the signing of a vet center become more imperative if Linsley hits the market or do you look at youth on the line with a more veteran wide receiver group ?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

My preference would be to draft him and see if we can make a deal with Andy Reid to allow him to sit on the bench behind Mahomes for a year.

I would be more for making a deal with Bruce Arians and let him sit on the bench behind Brady for a year. 

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Who do you actually want?

Can't have what I want, most likely, which is Watson.

I don't want Wilson at all, and certainly not at #2.  

I'd take Fields if forced to, but not at #2 either, and IMO he'd have to sit a year.

Lance, Jones, Trask, meh, non of them are that impressive.  I just don't see this as a great class of QB's, it's more hype than anything.  It's 2018 all over again, where two of the "can't miss" guys were busts (Darnold, Rosen), one has been meh (Mayfield), and one has been great at winning at least (Allan).  The afterthought most of us were wrong about, still the best guy in that class (Jackson).

I could see this class being similar, with 3 or 4 of these top 5 winding up as JAG's or worse.  Including the so-cllaed generation talent, best since-Luck, Lawrence.

I don't think the Jets answer at QB is available in this draft class or this year's free agency class. 

So what I want is a world class elite Tackle prospect, or an elite top 3 WR prospect, in a draft focusing heavily on the Offense, the skill positions and the O-line. 

If I can't solve QB now, I'll build a materially better unit for when I can.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd take Fields if forced to, but not at #2 either, and IMO he'd have to sit a year.

Lance, Jones, Trask, meh, non of them are that impressive.  I just don't see this as a great class of QB's, it's more hype than anything.  It's 2018 all over again, where two of the "can't miss" guys were busts (Darnold, Rosen), one has been meh (Mayfield), and one has been great at winning at least (Allan).  The afterthought most of us were wrong about, still the best guy in that class (Jackson).

I could see this class being similar, with 3 or 4 of these top 5 winding up as JAG's or worse.  Including the so-cllaed generation talent, best since-Luck, Lawrence.

I don't think the Jets answer at QB is available in this draft class or this year's free agency class. 

So what I want is a world class elite Tackle prospect, or an elite top 3 WR prospect, in a draft focusing heavily on the Offense, the skill positions and the O-line. 

Fair enough. I don't agree  on Wilson and Fields but it is not like I am a talent scout. 

Looking at it objectively here is where I think we are at now:

1. Douglas is not interested in trading for Watson

2. I suspect at this point, he personally has Fields above Wilson

3. I think LaFleur will want Wilson

4. I suspect Saleh prefers Wilson as well as SF was long rumored to covet Wilson before he was a household name

So, the one scenario I don't see happening is Watson,

I also do not see Saleh and LaFleur wanting to throw their lot in with Sam, so I think either at 2 or in some sort of trade down the Jets do get a QB in this draft.

I was hoping one of the beat writers would ask about Morgan.  If they think that he can be a decent starter then we might see several trades in the first and second rounds.

Here is how sold I am on Wilson, though. I think they may eventually decide Wilson is better than Lawrence or at least a pick 'em situation. I think there is a small, but non-zero chance that Jax offers us the #1 pick.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:15 PM, Warfish said:

I know that none of us so great at picking them, but I was hearing the same thing about 2017.  If only we made a move to trade up in 2016 we could have had Goff or Wentz!  If we only wait for 2018 there are multiple studs at the top of the list!  Nope, there were no sure thing QBs in that 2017 draft.  Just Watson and Mahomes.

• Upvote 2

I agree with the probable JAG assesment... but of the bunch not named Trevor Lawrence .. Wilson is clearly the front runner.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

I honestly have no idea what the hell they'll do.  And, I actually like that because it means JD is keeping a decent poker face through this whole thing.  Whether he trades for Watson, keeps Darnold, drafts Wilson, Fields or anyone else I think one thing MUST be done... Prepare to protect that QB and give him weapons on Offense.

Regardless of whether we roll Sam out there again or make a change, we HAVE to hit on a couple of free agents that are better than average, especially pass-catchers (WR, TE), and probably interior OLine.  This becomes even more important if they draft a kid at #2.  We don't want to see the Jets repeat the same mistake they did with Darnold in letting the offensive talent regress and decay on this team while trying to develop a QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I honestly have no idea what the hell they'll do.  And, I actually like that because it means JD is keeping a decent poker face through this whole thing.  Whether he trades for Watson, keeps Darnold, drafts Wilson, Fields or anyone else I think one thing MUST be done... Prepare to protect that QB and give him weapons on Offense.

Regardless of whether we roll Sam out there again or make a change, we HAVE to hit on a couple of free agents that are better than average, especially pass-catchers (WR, TE), and probably interior OLine.  This becomes even more important if they draft a kid at #2.  We don't want to see the Jets repeat the same mistake they did with Darnold in letting the offensive talent regress and decay on this team while trying to develop at QB.

Having a competent GM for a change is a beautiful thing!!!!! A beautiful thing..... 

For Once!!

Let's Go Jets!!! :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

OP sorry most people didn't respond properly...This can be an interesting thread.

I for one would like to see him sit for a while.  Someone like Alex Smith would be great.  Tough, smart, veteran that's seen a lot.  If we're winning with Alex Smith, great leave him in, if we're not bring in Wilson around week 10.

That what I would love to see...But I truly have no idea what they'll actually do.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

20 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I agree with the probable JAG assesment... but of the bunch not named Trevor Lawrence .. Wilson is clearly the front runner.

Because he beat up the North Alabama's of college football?

I'm not seeing it.  I see a small school kid feasting on also-ran schools running up scores and stats.  

You know what would have been great, seeing BYU play Alabama.  

Too bad he played pretty much no one of any consequence, and lost to the one team in 2020 that was any good (Coastal Carolina, where he put up a pedestrian 63%, 260 yard, 1 TD to 1 INT performance).

Maybe I'd be more impressed if he'd played some real programs.  Maybe I'd be more impressed if he put up 60 against Coastal Carolina instead of 17 and a loss.  Maybe I'd be more impressed if he'd done what he did in 2020 all three years of his career.

I don't deny there is every chance the Jets draft Wilson.  So it'll be what it'll be.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Exactly. It’s unfortunate they’d have to overpay for a QB in either the draft or free agency. I think there best move is trade down, pick up a lower ranked qb and still get a blue chip player or two in the first round.  I don’t think they need to trade darnold before the draft. They can go to camp with him morgan and whoever else and have a real competition.

Because he beat up the North Alabama's of college football?
I'm not seeing it.  I see a small school kid feasting on also-ran schools running up scores and stats.  
You know what would have been great, seeing BYU play Alabama.  
Too bad he played pretty much no one of any consequence, and lost to the one team in 2020 that was any good (Coastal Carolina, where he put up a pedestrian 63%, 260 yard, 1 TD to 1 INT performance).
Maybe I'd be more impressed if he'd played some real programs.  Maybe I'd be more impressed if he put up 60 against Coastal Carolina instead of 17 and a loss.  Maybe I'd be more impressed if he'd done what he did in 2020 all three years of his career.
I don't deny there is every chance the Jets draft Wilson.  So it'll be what it'll be.  
Valid. But his supporting cast was not Ohio State.

Every thread on this forum is turning into the same back and forth.  My point initially was I think this is Wilson based on the reasons I listed and him being a fit in this type of offense.  If I am right what are thoughts on other questions asked...

or we can debate the same old stuff on every other thread.

44 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Is Wilson even an upgrade from darnold?

I'm an unabashed Darnold fan but, as it's been mentioned a million times, it's about the money.

So if it's even close, and as much as I'd prefer a tradeback and build around Sam, I think the prudent move is to draft Wilson and trade Darnold for picks.  Even though we don't need to pay anyone for a while.

New regime, new OC.  Don't care about Wilson's competition, he's got a massive arm, bright as hell and can read and disect defenses, lightening quick release and his off platform throws are what's coming next.

Sad to see the end of the Darnold years but I think it's going to be Wilson.

Assuming Sam doesn't go to the Pats, I'll have a second team to root for.  

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Wait a minute. So some guys want Wilson, some want nothing to do with him. Some want Watson, but only at a fair price. And some like Fields, while others think he's going to struggle. I feel better now. It's all cleared up.

Or we could trade down.  Or not trade down.

Fully cleared up.  

26 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Exactly. It’s unfortunate they’d have to overpay for a QB in either the draft or free agency. I think there best move is trade down, pick up a lower ranked qb and still get a blue chip player or two in the first round.  I don’t think they need to trade darnold before the draft. They can go to camp with him morgan and whoever else and have a real competition.

What scenario do I (or you) prefer:

1. Wilson, some edge guy at #23, WR in the 2nd, Darnold gone for a 3rd, used (probably) on Defense.  Wilson/Some Veteran at QB.

2. Trade Down, one of Chase/Waddle/Smith at our #1, best O-lineman we can get at #23, Darnold/Morgan/Trask (in the 3rd).

I think I prefer 2.

If we pick Wilson, I just hope I'm wildly wrong.  I haven't been about Jets QB's in many years, but it could happen.

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

What scenario do I (or you) prefer:

1. Wilson, some edge guy at #23, WR in the 2nd, Darnold gone for a 3rd, used (probably) on Defense.  Wilson/Some Veteran at QB.

2. Trade Down, one of Chase/Waddle/Smith at our #1, best O-lineman we can get at #23, Darnold/Morgan/Trask (in the 3rd).

I think I prefer 2.

If we pick Wilson, I just hope I'm wildly wrong.  I haven't been about Jets QB's in many years, but it could happen.

i'm good with the second choice.  i think douglas needs to keep building the team.  i think it all depends if wilson knocks their socks off.

2 hours ago, OMA said:

It no longer is a question of where things are going with the qb position in April.  The combination of new staff, salary implications, 2022 QB prospects and skill set of Wilson make it a near certainty the NYJ will draft him at 2.  I think Joe and team expect improvement in 2021 to a point where they hope/plan to never be in the position again of being able to draft elite talent (top 5 pick lets say) this high in the draft.

Rather than argue Sam should be kept again and again I would be interested in what the forum thinks about how to not have Sam V2 with Wilson.  

Do we look at a fellow Utah Qb ( i am aware different schools) like Alex Smith to mentor ?

Does the signing of a vet center become more imperative if Linsley hits the market or do you look at youth on the line with a more veteran wide receiver group ?

should have kept it at 8

3 hours ago, OMA said:

Sign one of the FA guards, a top FA WR, draft one of each and start Wilson from day one.   I think we would be respectable in a hurry. 

• Upvote 1