Zach Wilson practicing for the pro day

Jetsbb

33 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The wilson hype is not being driven by scouts or teams it's being driven by parents and agents 

this simply isn't true, it's being reported in media that teams see him as #2 guy. Fields was #2 guy until draft guys in media started talking to teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

So what if your hot MILF neighbor who lives to the left is out sunbathing nude you look and you drool. 

The new neighbor moves in on the right she's in her 20"s she sunbathes nude you look and you drool. 

spoken like a true captain of the neighborhood watch lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, maury77 said:

I don't like to criticize everything Wilson does, but I honestly can't remember a prospect's dad posting videos on Twitter to drive up draft prospects. Maybe it happens frequently and I'm not aware of it, but I find it tacky as hell. 

I’m probably so far on the opposite side of the spectrum from you on Wilson evaluations but I have to agree with you about that. It’s extremely corny. Best for parents to just stay out of the way and especially off social media because it feels like a self fulfilling action.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

this simply isn't true, it's being reported in media that teams see him as #2 guy. Fields was #2 guy until draft guys in media started talking to teams.

Link? what teams? which reports?

are these the same Teams that had Darnold as the number 1 or number 2?

one guy Simms comes up with a hot take ranking and everyone groupthinks into line like good sheep 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

The wilson hype is not being driven by scouts or teams it's being driven by parents and agents 

My parents wouldn't let me play pro-football that's why I became a used car salesman.  On the flip side USC alumni hype might have made the difference.  

8 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

I think the Jets and Joe Douglas are actually genius in this whole game right now and seeing how things are playing out I might award him GM of the year for this.  He is using the NY media well and his national contacts to promote Zach Wilson off the charts.  Building the most intrigue and hype to trade that pick.  Lets go back to Adam Schefters tweet a few weeks back before all of the wilson hype.  "The Jets are expected to make a big trade."  Moving forward the snow ball effect went into place regarding Wilson.  Daniel Jeremiah who was Douglas college roommate and long time friend and former Ravens can easily build the intrigue on a national media level.  Teams that need a QB will easily be swayed by the arm talent and interviews.  

Think about it, this year their was no on campus scouting, there was no combine and scouts and teams are clamoring for any information they could find.  Why not let the Jets feed this information to promote the kid and get a boat load of picks to trade that #2 pick and as Douglas loves to do...Build through the draft.  If San Francisco is hot for Darnold to run their offense, we will be running that same offense.  In Wilsons case, Parcells always believed that a QB needed 4 years of college to grow and develop.  Darnold who we drafted at 20 years old showed promise his rookie year and then we hired Gase and we know how that went.  Now 23 Darnold has NFL experience and will have proper coaching and an offense that fits his play.  While we have seen other players from his draft class have early success going to the playoffs, they had teams built around them with playmakers but they only got their teams so far.  Which also tells me not to look short sighted on Darnold who could have the better career out of all of the other QBs in his draft class if you build around him.

Wilson is intriguing, so was Wharfs jumping out of a pool.  Wharfs has a Super Bowl ring with a QB that was drafted in the 6th round so build that offensive line, trade your #2 pick, and go "gas and no brakes" with a Team to be proud of.

He's drafting Wilson.

There's not some genius mind behind any of this.  The Jets need a QB, they have the #2 pick in the draft, Zach Wilson is the 2nd best prospect in the draft.

It really is that simple. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's drafting Wilson.

There's not some genius mind behind any of this.  The Jets need a QB, they have the #2 pick in the draft, Zach Wilson is the 2nd best prospect in the draft.

Starting to think this is the inevitable. 

Can't deny his upside and ability to sling it. I hope we have a vet start the season for the first 8 or so games, though. I don't want to throw this kid to the wolves.

Move Darnold for a 2nd rounder. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

What I can't shake is this sense that there is a massive campaign afoot to promote Wilson.  We haven't heard a WORD about Trevor Lawrence since the end of the college football season.  Yes, it's a certainty he's going to JAX but it's eerily quiet on that front.  We don't hear much about Fields...or Jones....or any other draft prospect.  But it's all-Wilson, all-day, coming from so many directions.  Something about it makes me very distrustful that the whole thing feels like 'trying too hard'.  It's probably an extension of the general oversaturation of media anyway, but I'm leery of how lopsided the coverage seems to be lately.

Not much more needs to come out if you play for Clemson, OSU or 'Bama.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Man, I really don't want this guy. 

Years ago in the nba draft there was a Center from Russia named Pavel Podkolzin.  He was horrible.  But he had a workout tape of him showing post up moves on his 5’6 agent and he parlayed that into being the 21st pick in the draft

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He's drafting Wilson.

It's not that simple.  We can trade down a few spots and get a QB who might be just as good a prospect or rated higher on our board.  We should take a QB but there is still a lot of work to do before declaring anyone head and shoulders the best prospect at the position.  It's also possible this QB class doesn't have the sweet tasting balls of Tom Shane and a Left Tackle that's so far ahead of any QB on the board that we simply have to take him because you can never have enough Left tackle.  Left Tackle is Cow Bell.  

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Link? what teams? which reports?

are these the same Teams that had Darnold as the number 1 or number 2?

one guy Simms comes up with a hot take ranking and everyone groupthinks into line like good sheep 

I'm not doing your homework. Wilson was clearly favored to be 2nd QB off the board weeks before Simms had him as his #1 QB.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I’m probably so far on the opposite side of the spectrum from you on Wilson evaluations but I have to agree with you about that. It’s extremely corny. Best for parents to just stay out of the way and especially off social media because it feels like a self fulfilling action.

Because why?

What is the downside?  I few of us dweebs who sit all offseason on a football board, craved for for any tidbit of information and glimpses of possible targets wont like your son?  Lets face it.its because those complaining they dont want him on the team.  I'd bet no one would have complained if there was a video of Trevor and we had the 1st pick

Havent heard many of the fans of Wilson complaining,  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

I'm not doing your homework. Wilson was clearly favored to go #2 weeks before Simms had him as his #1 QB.

This is what I'm talking about.  This is confirmation bias of the worst kind.  Here are a few mocks that have Fields at #2, ahead of Wilson.

https://www.nfl.com/news/maurice-jones-drew-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-three-rbs-picked-in-round-1

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-jets-start-new-era-at-qb-with-justin-fields

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-who-teams-should-draft-to-win-now (Sewell actually)

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-mock-draft-qb-justin-fields-lands-with-the-jets-at-no-2-falcons-select-florida-te-kyle-pitts-at-no-4

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2021/02/22/nfl-mock-draft-2021-texans-deshaun-watson-jets/4506909001/ (HOU takes him after trading Watson to Jets).

And so on....

There is no clear favorite at #2.  There is no consensus pick.  Ignoring the amateur fan nonsense on B/R and other places, it's probably a lot closer than you think.

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Man, I really don't want this guy. 

This is already feeling like 2009 all over again. 

“Please don’t draft Sanchez. Please don’t draft Sanchez. Please don’t draft—“

”...F*ck”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

It's not that simple.  We can trade down a few spots and get a QB who might be just as good a prospect or rated higher on our board.  We should take a QB but there is still a lot of work to do before declaring anyone head and shoulders the best prospect at the position.  It's also possible this QB class doesn't have the sweet tasting balls of Tom Shane and a Left Tackle that's so far ahead of any QB on the board that we simply have to take him because you can never have enough Left tackle.  Left Tackle is Cow Bell.  

And why exactly would Douglas be stupid enough to risk losing the guy he has targeted as his number one guy just to move down a few spots? JD seems like a smart guy to me. So again, why would he do something so utterly stupid?

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

It's not a function of simple or complicated...

There's a reality here that this decision has been made and it's been made a while ago.

Sam is getting traded and they will draft Zach Wilson.    This is more or less a fact right now.  

19 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

And why exactly would Douglas be stupid enough to risk losing the guy he has targeted as his number one guy just to move down a few spots? JD seems like a smart guy to me. So again, why would he do something so utterly stupid?

Had we lost Sam Darnold to the Giants we might have gotten stuck with Josh Allen.  

30 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Has this kid ever beaten even ONE good team at BYU?

You would think that would be a minimum requirement to be selected #2 overall...

Has this kid ever went out and played a game against another team all by himself?

20 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Had we lost Sam Darnold to the Giants we might have gotten stuck with Josh Allen.  

So your answer is that history will repeat itself like clockwork. Nice. Any one of us could cherry pick a moment in history to support a course of action, no matter how hair-brained it is, as you are now demonstrating.

• Upvote 1

I like Sam Darnold, but have we ever seen a video of Sam training as hard and focused as Zach Wilson is?

One strategy would be to draft Wilson, keep Sam and let them slug it out.  Sam or Wilson could get traded later.  

Wilson could be an elaborate fraud.  Wilson would not be the first QB to have skills but not beat a real opponent.  Pennington?  Fitzpatrick?  But sticking with Darnold also has its negatives.

35 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

So your answer is that history will repeat itself like clockwork. Nice. Any one of us could cherry pick a moment in history to support a course of action, no matter how hair-brained it is, as you are now demonstrating.

I'm saying that GM's who are drafting in a fluid draft full of lots to prospects shouldn't fall in love with one guy.  If you have a good staff and good analysis you can make make more than one prospect work out very well.  

This idea that we have to have the best and someone can evaluate what that is at the next level is insanely stupid and goes against any principle of good management.   Depending on the draft you come up with several candidates who can do what you want and you hope it works out.  

Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson may not be as good as Lance or Jones at the next level.  They both might actually suck at the next level.  Sam and Rosen sucked at the next level.  History does repeat itself but that's not my point.   My point is a good GM shouldn't fall in love with one prospect and if you don't get the one you want love the one you get.