Niners not in on Sam?

I really need this all to end. It's not the anticipation of what Douglas will finally do. It's having to listen to the million stupid takes on the situation until then. 

Annotations

Sources tell Rapoport not to expect the 49ers to be in the mix for Sam Darnold

DAVID BONILLA FEBRUARY 26, 2021

The San Francisco 49ers have seemingly committed to quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo—again. A report from Evan Lazar of CLNS Media Network reports that the New England Patriots inquired about Garoppolo before re-signing Cam Newton to a one-year deal. Bill Belichick and company were told that the 49ers quarterback, whom they traded to San Francisco in 2017, isn't available.

Of course, Lazar added that Garoppolo isn't available "right now," which, of course, created some additional chatter.

There has been speculation that the 49ers might be interested in Sam Darnold. The New York Jets might seek to offload the quarterback if they draft a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick. It's expected they will.

NFL insider Ian Rapoport joined KNBR on Friday morning and discussed the possibility of the former No. 3 overall pick landing with Kyle Shanahan and the 49ers.

"I've asked. I've talked to sources," Rapoport said on the Murph & Mac show. "The response I've received on the Sam Darnold situation is, 'Do not expect the 49ers to be in it.' Maybe it could change, I guess. Theoretically, anything is possible. I never rule anything out in this ridiculous, stupid world.

"I do not expect the 49ers, as of my knowledge right now, to be in it. Could that change somehow? I don't see why, but possibly."

Rapoport previously told Rich Eisen that he doesn't expect a divorce between Garoppolo and the 49ers. He reiterated that on Friday morning and explained why.

"Like I always say to you guys, are we sure that Sam Darnold is better than Jimmy Garoppolo if both are on the field and healthy?" Rapoport asked. "Just think about what they are, right? I mean, Jimmy's a little [older] and obviously more expensive, but both have shown flashes. Both can get really hot. Both have dealt with injuries that make your head want to explode. And both have flashed potential that you just want to see them continue. And if you're going to trade for someone, why would you trade for basically the same guy?"

You can listen to the entire conversation with Rapoport below.

New York Jets general manager Joe Douglas spoke with reporters on Wednesday and was asked about his quarterback, former No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold. The Jets own the No. 2 overall pick and are viewed as a strong candidate to draft a quarterback—perhaps Zach Wilson of BYU. The team could also opt to pursue Deshaun Watson if the Houston Texans ever release their grasp on the disgruntled quarterback. Where does that leave the USC product, who has struggled on talent-deprived rosters in his three NFL seasons? "I will answer the call if it's made," said Douglas when asked if he is open to trade

ESPN reported that quarterback Deshaun Watson met with the Houston Texans last week. Before that, he had been ignoring all attempts by the team to contact him. The Texans have a new head coach and general manager in David Culley and Nick Caserio, respectively, who want Watson to be a part of the team's future. Watson sat down with Culley as a sign of respect. However, the quarterback reportedly reiterated that he has no intention of playing another snap for the Texans. It has nothing to do with the new head coach or general manager. Watson's frustrations with the organization go higher than that — with ownership. It doesn't sound like the standoff will see a resolution anytime soon. Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, speaking with NFL Now host Andrew

There was a curious report from Joe Person of The Athletic earlier this month that the San Francisco 49ers inquired about Carolina Panthers quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. That is not the case, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport. Rapoport joined KNBR on Friday morning and was discussing potential backup quarterbacks for starter Jimmy Garoppolo, among other topics. He threw this nugget out while rattling off a few names as possibilities. "It turns out the 49ers did not call about Teddy Bridgewater, but if he was available, that would be an interesting option," Rapoport said on the Murph & Mac show. He was asked about the

placeholder.jpg

This week, NFL insider Ian Rapoport joined The Rich Eisen Show and cycled through the quarterback rumors across the league. He doesn't envision anything happening with Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans anytime soon—if at all. "Maybe by the draft, and honestly, maybe not even then," Rapoport told Eisen. The insider isn't getting a sense that a trade of Russell Wilson in Seattle is imminent. The biggest question mark surrounding that situation is a replacement for the Seahawks, contenders every season. That's tough to continue without competent quarterback play. Rapoport eventually landed on the San Francisco 49ers and Jimmy Garoppolo, who has been the subject of a lot of offseason speculation. Many feel that San Francisco's

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Heard a radio host say today as of right now the Jets asking price is too high. Or the 9ers started watching tape and were spooked.... OR maybe both ?‍♂️

As they were watching film of Sam, ghosts suddenly filled the room.  They turned the projector off and nervously left the film room.  Five minutes later they issued a statement that they were not interested in acquiring Sam.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, its makes sense they havent watched tape yet.

Or didnt before they played us early in 2020.  Watched the game with their eyes closed

Maybe its just too early to actually know what's going on and this is all nonsense.

How Sam didn’t make Chris Hogan and Josh Malone look like all pros is incredible 

It’s also Sam’s fault the defense decided not to tackle that day

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

At this point my belief is it will be the Washington Football Team or the Chicago Bears who will trade for Sam Darnold.

Can't see the Bears doing this. Russell Wilson perhaps but not Sam. Would Sam really be an upgrade for them over Turdbisky ? 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Or didnt before they played us early in 2020.  Watched the game with their eyes closed

Maybe its just too early to actually know what's going on and this is all nonsense.

And think about it, only 7 more weeks of this nonsense/crap  before the draft. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Relax we are here  speculating, why are you so anxious to challenge everything? ?

53 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Heard a radio host say today as of right now the Jets asking price is too high. Or the 9ers started watching tape and were spooked.... OR maybe both ?‍♂️

Was it all the ghosts that spooked them? I'm surprised they showed up on tape, but at least Sammy isn't the only one seeing them.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Relax we are here  speculating, why are you so anxious to challenge everything? ?

Challenging it?

No pointing out that it makes no sense to think they havent watched tape on every available QB

Dont get so sensitive

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Challenging it?

No pointing out that it makes no sense to think they havent watched tape on every available QB

Dont get so sensitive

I w a s j u s t a s k i n g * *u a q u e s t i o n. I don’t understand how you got any emotion form that but okay! ??

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

How Sam didn’t make Chris Hogan and Josh Malone look like all pros is incredible 

It’s also Sam’s fault the defense decided not to tackle that day

how much are you willing to bet on that?

if we needed a QB and Sam has been a Texans this whole time with the same play. would you want JD to trade for him? would you give up a 2nd rd pick ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

At this point my belief is it will be the Washington Football Team or the Chicago Bears who will trade for Sam Darnold.

i not sure when there are better options.

if its trade i would go for Mariotta. he more success than Sam, and you could probaly get him for a 3rd rd pick

and you have Andy Dalton , Fritz, and Winston if NO doesnt resign him as free agents. 

Wash and Chi are good teams ready for a playoff run. i rather sign one of those proven FAs or Mariotta than Sam

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Rivera is a smart Rex Ryan. He likes Power Football, with an offense based on the Running Game and play action,  and a dominant D. I think Sam would be a fit for them, but I don't see getting anything better than #51(?).

3 hours ago, prime21 said:

This is on the Niners board.  Has anyone heard this from Ian?   Comments are funny.  Niner fans want no part of Sam.

wait, did you say fan base? of course no fan base wants Sam.

and then for a 2nd rd pick? if Sam was on a different team and JD traded for him and gave up a 2nd rd pick for him we would all want him fired the next day.

and how many fan bases know that he " sees ghosts " . Sam is a hard sell for a fan base