Urban Meyer tells Peter King they are taking Trevor Lawrence and hears Joe Douglas is standing firm and is not interested in trading the second pick

Jetsbb

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/28/urban-meyer-jaguars-trevor-lawrence-nfl-draft-trades-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

There’s been little mystery about the first domino to fall on April 29, but let’s make it officially official.

“Is there any real mystery that you’re picking Trevor Lawrence?” I asked Jacksonville coach Urban Meyer the other day.

“Uh,” Meyer said, not flinching, “I’d have to say that’s the direction we’re going. I’ll leave that up to the owner when we make that decision official. But I’m certainly not stepping out of line that that’s certainly the direction we’re headed.”

I loved it. Why hide what you’re doing, just for fake NFL drama? Meyer’s been laser-focused on Lawrence since, as a FOX college football analyst, meeting him during college football playoff prep. Meyer’s extremely close to Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, and has a pipeline to all things Lawrence, on and off the field. Fair to say he couldn’t be more comfortable with his first pick as an NFL head coach.

“Trevor checks all the boxes, you know?” Meyer told me. “The number one common quality of every great player, not just quarterback, is competitive maniac. He’s 34-2. Won a national title as a true freshman. Is a winner. I’ve seen him up close and in person compete. And then character. I see him and I witness with my players, when the guys get drafted high, a lot of people get . . . They have influences in their live. Like, whether it be social media, whether it be other things that really don’t pertain to winning. What I’m really pleased with and I don’t want to say surprised, but him, his agent, his family, they’re focused on one thing. He wants to become the best version of himself for the National Football League, which is, well, it is somewhat refreshing.”

I doubt it will happen, but what if the Jets stick with Sam Darnold and auction the second pick? First: I hear Joe Douglas is standing firm and is not interested in trading the second pick. But I believe there could be one team left that is interested in moving up, even at a ridiculous cost. That is Carolina, picking eighth in the first round. The Jets have the second pick, and odds are good that they stay right there and pick BYU quarterback Zach Wilson. So the table has been set now. For someone to move up to get the second pick, even from six picks down, it would cost first-round picks this year plus in 2022 and 2023. Would Carolina be willing to do that? I bet the Panthers, who seem lukewarm on incumbent Teddy Bridgewater and who have an ultra-aggressive owner in David Tepper, would think hard about it. Such a trade with the Panthers would leave the Jets inebriated on first-round draft choices: two this year, three in 2022, two in 2023. I don’t see Douglas doing it, but he just might be tempted.

The likeliest bet is New York sitting at two and taking Zach Wilson. After Wilson’s impressive workout Friday in Utah, he asked his inner circle: “So what’s gonna happen now?” No one knows for sure, kid. Also: Disregard what you hear about other staffs or people around the league knowing what the Jets are going to do. The decision-maker on the Jets is GM Joe Douglas, and I hear he’s not parceling out any clues about his preference for the second pick to coaches on his staff or others. Someone close to Douglas said over the weekend Douglas has learned to keep his draft preferences to himself. Wilson’s done what he can to prove he’s worthy of going second overall, an amazing rise considering he was in a three-way battle for the starting job at Brigham Young a year ago.

Last point about the Jets: It’s easy to say—if the Panthers come calling—that trading down from two to eight this year and picking up extra ones in ’22 and ’23 is a no-brainer. Easy, but perhaps painful, if Zach Wilson turns into a star, the quarterback the Jets have been seeking since the days of Willie Joe Namath. And isn’t that the tormenting part of the NFL draft?

So how do the big passers stack up now? Trevor Lawrence goes one to Jacksonville. Wilson two, probably to the Jets. Mac Jones or Lance to San Francisco at three. I keep hearing Atlanta’s leaning QB, with logic having Lance sitting behind Matt Ryan for two years, then playing. So let’s say it starts Lawrence-Wilson-Jones-Lance, one through four. I’d guess J’Marr Chase, the LSU receiver, reuniting with Joe Burrow in Cincinnati at five, and then who knows. I’d guess Miami at six would be thrilled with one of the three weapons (Kyle Pitts, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith) on the board. Detroit could go tackle or weapon at seven. And then eight? For now, it’s Carolina. It’s be mock-convenient to slide Justin Fields, the fifth passer in the queue, to the Panthers, but I’m not so sure. Fields has his Pro Day on Tuesday in Columbus. He better hit all the right notes. No idea who’s picking him a month from today.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I feel like the thread title buried the lead for this thread... as Jets fans. 

peter king basically confirming what’s been reported by others that the JD isn’t looking to trade out and unless someone like the panthers offers us a stupid trade Zach Wilson will be the pick.

also note worthy is Justin fields. Would be something else if he’s 5th QB taken

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

peter king basically confirming what’s been reported by others that the JD isn’t looking to trade out and unless someone like the panthers offers us a stupid trade Zach Wilson will be the pick.

At this point I have to think that there is some red flag with Fields. Maybe he is not doing well in interviews (though he seems like a good intelligent guy) or maybe more likely he is not doing well with white boards and retaining info. Gil Brandt would not guarantee Fields he would be selected in the Top 10 which is somewhat eye opening. Someone always rises and someone always falls.

In terms of Wilson, he said he was not surprised by his 2020 because he had already noticed the arm talent.

Brandt has been exceptional in figuring out the right players to bring to NY

13 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

edited

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

He might but also a chance Top 5 picks are ALL QB. Which would be just wild.

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

“nt about the Jets: It’s easy to say—if the Panthers come calling—that trading down from two to eight this year and picking up extra ones in ’22 and ’23 is a no-brainer. Easy, but perhaps painful, if Zach Wilson turns into a star, the quarterback the Jets have been seeking since the days of Willie Joe Namath. And isn’t that the tormenting part of the NFL draft?

this i will never understand.

you love Wilson but if someone offers a great trade you would do it?.. then you really dont love him

imagine we weren't idiots and had the 1st pick like we should have. what everyone has said about how great Trevor will be, you trade the pick? they talk like he could be the next Peyton. can you put a price on that? 

point is if JD is going to draft Wilson but can be swayed by draft picks then he doesnt think Wilson is special. then he shouldn't even draft him. 

your not drafting Wilson to be OK, your drafting him cause you think hes going to be great. no amount of draft picks should be able to change that. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

This not so obvious " First: I hear Joe Douglas is standing firm and is not interested in trading the second pick"

How can he “hear” that when later on he says that JD is the most tight lipped GM in the NFL and that no one knows what JDs preferences are?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, doitny said:

you love Wilson but if someone offers a great trade you would do it?.. then you really dont love him

imagine we weren't idiots and had the 1st pick like we should have. what everyone has said about how great Trevor will be, you trade the pick? they talk like he could be the next Peyton. can you put a price on that? 

point is if JD is going to draft Wilson but can be swayed by draft picks then he doesnt think Wilson is special. then he shouldn't even draft him. 

your not drafting Wilson to be OK, your drafting him cause you think hes going to be great. no amount of draft picks should be able to change that. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

42 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How can he “hear” that when later on he says that JD is the most tight lipped GM in the NFL and that no one knows what JDs preferences are?

Exactly what i was thinking, douglas is locked into wilson at #2 we hear but Joe is not telling anyone what he is doing. Another story about noting. Until joe hands in his pick on the 29th believe noting.

Douglas is certainly playing it close. At this point if Wilson is the guy then they need to draft him. I know the draft picks they could get could be used to build a really good and lasting team but without better QBs play it could also be for naught.  What want said was what to do with darnold.  I am guessing they may not trade him, at least before training camp, and go into the season with darnold as QB.  Didn’t Namath sit a few games? O’Brien? Chaddy?  It’s not out of the realm of possibilities.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He was referring to what player he wants to pick. But he did let slip he talked to someone close to Douglas and knows he does not plan on trading the pick. Even thinks a monster trade offer by the Panthers wont move him.

10 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/28/urban-meyer-jaguars-trevor-lawrence-nfl-draft-trades-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

There’s been little mystery about the first domino to fall on April 29, but let’s make it officially official.

“Is there any real mystery that you’re picking Trevor Lawrence?” I asked Jacksonville coach Urban Meyer the other day.

“Uh,” Meyer said, not flinching, “I’d have to say that’s the direction we’re going. I’ll leave that up to the owner when we make that decision official. But I’m certainly not stepping out of line that that’s certainly the direction we’re headed.”

I loved it. Why hide what you’re doing, just for fake NFL drama? Meyer’s been laser-focused on Lawrence since, as a FOX college football analyst, meeting him during college football playoff prep. Meyer’s extremely close to Clemson coach Dabo Swinney, and has a pipeline to all things Lawrence, on and off the field. Fair to say he couldn’t be more comfortable with his first pick as an NFL head coach.

“Trevor checks all the boxes, you know?” Meyer told me. “The number one common quality of every great player, not just quarterback, is competitive maniac. He’s 34-2. Won a national title as a true freshman. Is a winner. I’ve seen him up close and in person compete. And then character. I see him and I witness with my players, when the guys get drafted high, a lot of people get . . . They have influences in their live. Like, whether it be social media, whether it be other things that really don’t pertain to winning. What I’m really pleased with and I don’t want to say surprised, but him, his agent, his family, they’re focused on one thing. He wants to become the best version of himself for the National Football League, which is, well, it is somewhat refreshing.”

I doubt it will happen, but what if the Jets stick with Sam Darnold and auction the second pick? First: I hear Joe Douglas is standing firm and is not interested in trading the second pick. But I believe there could be one team left that is interested in moving up, even at a ridiculous cost. That is Carolina, picking eighth in the first round. The Jets have the second pick, and odds are good that they stay right there and pick BYU quarterback Zach Wilson. So the table has been set now. For someone to move up to get the second pick, even from six picks down, it would cost first-round picks this year plus in 2022 and 2023. Would Carolina be willing to do that? I bet the Panthers, who seem lukewarm on incumbent Teddy Bridgewater and who have an ultra-aggressive owner in David Tepper, would think hard about it. Such a trade with the Panthers would leave the Jets inebriated on first-round draft choices: two this year, three in 2022, two in 2023. I don’t see Douglas doing it, but he just might be tempted.

The likeliest bet is New York sitting at two and taking Zach Wilson. After Wilson’s impressive workout Friday in Utah, he asked his inner circle: “So what’s gonna happen now?” No one knows for sure, kid. Also: Disregard what you hear about other staffs or people around the league knowing what the Jets are going to do. The decision-maker on the Jets is GM Joe Douglas, and I hear he’s not parceling out any clues about his preference for the second pick to coaches on his staff or others. Someone close to Douglas said over the weekend Douglas has learned to keep his draft preferences to himself. Wilson’s done what he can to prove he’s worthy of going second overall, an amazing rise considering he was in a three-way battle for the starting job at Brigham Young a year ago.

Last point about the Jets: It’s easy to say—if the Panthers come calling—that trading down from two to eight this year and picking up extra ones in ’22 and ’23 is a no-brainer. Easy, but perhaps painful, if Zach Wilson turns into a star, the quarterback the Jets have been seeking since the days of Willie Joe Namath. And isn’t that the tormenting part of the NFL draft?

So how do the big passers stack up now? Trevor Lawrence goes one to Jacksonville. Wilson two, probably to the Jets. Mac Jones or Lance to San Francisco at three. I keep hearing Atlanta’s leaning QB, with logic having Lance sitting behind Matt Ryan for two years, then playing. So let’s say it starts Lawrence-Wilson-Jones-Lance, one through four. I’d guess J’Marr Chase, the LSU receiver, reuniting with Joe Burrow in Cincinnati at five, and then who knows. I’d guess Miami at six would be thrilled with one of the three weapons (Kyle Pitts, Jaylen Waddle, DeVonta Smith) on the board. Detroit could go tackle or weapon at seven. And then eight? For now, it’s Carolina. It’s be mock-convenient to slide Justin Fields, the fifth passer in the queue, to the Panthers, but I’m not so sure. Fields has his Pro Day on Tuesday in Columbus. He better hit all the right notes. No idea who’s picking him a month from today.

Didn't you hear? The Darnold Truthers know more than everybody else

Personally, this was the biggest part for me:

"Disregard what you hear about other staffs or people around the league knowing what the Jets are going to do. The decision-maker on the Jets is GM Joe Douglas, and I hear he’s not parceling out any clues about his preference for the second pick to coaches on his staff or others. Someone close to Douglas said over the weekend Douglas has learned to keep his draft preferences to himself."

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

7 hours ago, doitny said:

At the end of the day, he’s still a prospect and there’s no guarantee he becomes what you think he’ll become. 

9 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Personally, this was the biggest part for me:

"Disregard what you hear about other staffs or people around the league knowing what the Jets are going to do. The decision-maker on the Jets is GM Joe Douglas, and I hear he’s not parceling out any clues about his preference for the second pick to coaches on his staff or others. Someone close to Douglas said over the weekend Douglas has learned to keep his draft preferences to himself."

He has not let slip his preference for the second pick but has let slip he is not willing to trade it.

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

He has not let slip his preference for the second pick but has let slip he is not willing to trade it.

From what I've seen from Douglas, he may very well prefer that Carolina trade down scenario over even being able to pick Lawrence. 

• Haha 1

Message to all you millennium poster whack jobs.....

Note the portion of the article that lists Justin Fields as the FIFTH QB off the board. All you posters that spent the last season stroking Justin Fields need to shut it.

Like I said already, I don't know how any of these QB's will turn out, I've just always known Justin Fields is totally overrated.