Jump to content

Pauline: Jets could pick RB in first or second rounds


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

If what he says is true, the draft could look something like this:

#2 - QB

#23 - RB

#34 - OL

#66 - CB/WR/TE

#87 - CB/WR/TE

I disagree.  I agree with #2, #23 and #34.

#66 and #87-  OL/CB/WR

Not taking a TE with #66 or #87.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the 1st three picks were:  QB, RB, OG I wouldn't be mad at all. I know you can get running back production without drafting a RB high. But damn some star power on this team would be nice. Some

Najee or Etienne...count me in at 23. Then get a guard at 34.

If the Jets take a RB with either #23 or #34 then that RB had better be great at picking up the blitz because without upgrading the OL our new shiny QB will be blitzed 2/3 of the time and the RB won't

Posted Images

Just now, Alka said:

I disagree.  I agree with #2, #23 and #34.

#66 and #87-  OL/CB/WR

Not taking a TE with #66 or #87.

How about best player available in every round with a focus on those position, often works much better.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Jets want their choice of RB then they'd have to pick one at 23 in front of the Steelers.  I do think they'll move back into the end of the 1st with 34 and 107 to either get the offensive lineman or RB they didn't select at 23. That package would get them up to 29 with the Packers. They could move 34 and 86 and get up to 25 to take a RB if they draft an offensive lineman at 23. They'd still have the ability to get a RB they like. 

Either way I think the Jets are going to be a lot more aggressive and targeted this year than most expect. The medical question marks surrounding the draft prospects beyond the top 125 players is a bigger deal than most think. They have 11 picks but I think they only come out with 7 at the most with a couple of extra 2022 picks which will be more valuable next year with a normal scouting process and more medical info on mid to late round picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

If the 1st three picks were:  QB, RB, OG I wouldn't be mad at all.

I know you can get running back production without drafting a RB high. But damn some star power on this team would be nice. Some real explosiveness!

Wouldn't be mad? lol

I'd be ecstatic if we added an elite talent like Najee.

Play this out: if all the oline we're targeting are gone and najee, who is an ELITE talent at RB is sitting there, doesn't it make sense to take him? Who else would you take? A defensive player and destroy yet another young QB we draft by providing him no help? Or Najee, the type of back that can carry an offense a la Henry or Cook?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing to keep in mind, the Steelers pick right after us. They've been rumored to target a RB. Maybe the Jets are playing games to extract a pick out of them or someone else.

And on the flip side, maybe they really like Harris and were targeting him in the 2nd round but now they know he won't make it there because of the Steelers so they're considering him at 23.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Two things here..

The Jets are not a normal situation.

The 2020 Jets were literally the least talented team I've ever seen - particularly on offense.  I can honestly say i can't remember an offense with less talent.  So having more rookies than you would normally like to see is what you might need to do to pull yourself up.  

In a vacuum those data points about RB might make sense, but the Jets aren't in a Vacuum - they are still the least talented offense in the league even after adding a #2 WR.   You're about to bing in a rookie, #2 overall QB - who it seems the team has already determined will be starting.   You must do everything in your power to help develop him.  One of those two RB's would be invaluable to Wilson's development.  You can live with the short shelf life of a RB if you have him for 5 years and he helps develops our QB who you'll have for 15 years.

I think fundamentally you and I simply view how to build the roster differently.  I think developing our QB should be the ONLY priority, nothing else should really matters - every thing the Jets do should be about supporting Zach Wilson. 

Every situation is different, it's not a one size fits all league.  In this situation taking a RB at 34 makes a ton of sense.

How about the idea that outside zone schemes have consistently gotten outstanding RB production from mid-late round picks and street free agents in the scheme...and often the early round picks have actually busted? 

Or the importance of RB pass protection skill for the development of a young quarterback and that rookie RB’s are consistently deficient in that area?

Lots of better ways to support a young QB and a running game than taking a running back with premium draft capital. Particularly in this scheme.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Another thing to keep in mind, the Steelers pick right after us. They've been rumored to target a RB. Maybe the Jets are playing games to extract a pick out of them or someone else.

And on the flip side, maybe they really like Harris and were targeting him in the 2nd round but now they know he won't make it there because of the Steelers so they're considering him at 23.

This is my hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, derp said:

How about the idea that outside zone schemes have consistently gotten outstanding RB production from mid-late round picks and street free agents in the scheme...and often the early round picks have actually busted? 

Or the importance of RB pass protection skill for the development of a young quarterback and that rookie RB’s are consistently deficient in that area?

Lots of better ways to support a young QB and a running game than taking a running back with premium draft capital. Particularly in this scheme.

Derp just derped that guy haha. Nice work. You are exactly right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

 

well the rookie HC and OC aren't on the field.  not sure why they count as one of the 4 rookies on offense.

but it seems your preference would be to go with hoyer (or fill-in-the-blank vet QB) and run back the same o-line and RB group as last year?  does that add to more than 3 wins?  

i'd rather take lumps with rookies getting on-field experience than has-beens/never-has-beens stinking up the joint

Uh, I was responding to someone who wants to start a rookie QB, RB, and two OL. That would be four rookies on top of the rookies at HC and OC. Jets added bets at RB and OL this year, too, so it’s not trotting out the same-same. 
 
Installing a new offense is a huge job. Another huge job is preparing a rookie QB to start on opening day. In a more perfect world, I don’t do those two things in the same year. That being the situation the Jets are going to be in, I don’t want two rookie OL and a rookie RB on the field with him all learning the offense and the NFL at the same time, while my OC calls plays for the first time under a rookie head coach. One more rookie on the OL is plenty. They can find one starting guard from what’s already on the roster. Continuity being important on the OL. Becton, McGovern, Fant, Lewis/Van Roten, and a high-drafted rookie should be a decent or better OL in the zone scheme they’re implementing. 
 
Want a third rookie starter? Grab an Edge/CB/LB to start on defense with one of those picks over the least valued position in the sport. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slats said:

Uh, I was responding to someone who wants to start a rookie QB, RB, and two OL. That would be four rookies on top of the rookies at HC and OC. Jets added bets at RB and OL this year, too, so it’s not trotting out the same-same. 
 
Installing a new offense is a huge job. Another huge job is preparing a rookie QB to start on opening day. In a more perfect world, I don’t do those two things in the same year. That being the situation the Jets are going to be in, I don’t want two rookie OL and a rookie RB on the field with him all learning the offense and the NFL at the same time, while my OC calls plays for the first time under a rookie head coach. One more rookie on the OL is plenty. They can find one starting guard from what’s already on the roster. Continuity being important on the OL. Becton, McGovern, Fant, Lewis/Van Roten, and a high-drafted rookie should be a decent or better OL in the zone scheme they’re implementing. 
 
Want a third rookie starter? Grab an Edge/CB/LB to start on defense with one of those picks over the least valued position in the sport. 

What could go wrong? Haha 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

How about best player available in every round with a focus on those position, often works much better.

I'm not just saying that the Jets will pick an OL with the #66 and or #87 picks because the Jets are in dire need of offensive linemen.  I'm saying that from all the many, many simulated mock drafts that I have done, you have great value at guard and center at those picks, which coincide with the Jets needs.  If the Jets pick a tackle at #23 or #34, then the Jets still need a guard or center.  They will be able to get a good one in the 3rd round.  That will be a sweet spot for those players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slats said:

Uh, I was responding to someone who wants to start a rookie QB, RB, and two OL.

Just to clarify my post that said they most certainly are looking for 4 starters pertained to offense and defense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yup, and let's remember that Saquon is an elite RB and even he has had trouble early in his career because his oline has been pretty bad. 

He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie and avg 5 ypc???

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slats said:

Uh, I was responding to someone who wants to start a rookie QB, RB, and two OL. That would be four rookies on top of the rookies at HC and OC. Jets added bets at RB and OL this year, too, so it’s not trotting out the same-same. 
 
Installing a new offense is a huge job. Another huge job is preparing a rookie QB to start on opening day. In a more perfect world, I don’t do those two things in the same year. That being the situation the Jets are going to be in, I don’t want two rookie OL and a rookie RB on the field with him all learning the offense and the NFL at the same time, while my OC calls plays for the first time under a rookie head coach. One more rookie on the OL is plenty. They can find one starting guard from what’s already on the roster. Continuity being important on the OL. Becton, McGovern, Fant, Lewis/Van Roten, and a high-drafted rookie should be a decent or better OL in the zone scheme they’re implementing. 
 
Want a third rookie starter? Grab an Edge/CB/LB to start on defense with one of those picks over the least valued position in the sport. 

 

apologies on missing the full context of the prior conversation.

in general, you make a good point.  given how i would expect saleh/lafleur to mimic the SF offense and rotate backs (unless one grabs the job and runs away with it), i don't have a problem with taking a RB high and playing him.  the QB will start (if not game 1, then pretty shortly thereafter). if they take an o-line with a day 1-2 pick, chances are he will start.  i get the hesitancy on playing 2 rookies on the line protecting a rookie QB, so can't dispute that one.  don't think adding a talented rookie RB (traditionally the "easiest" position for a rookie to come in and play) gives me extra pause. 

the jets need talent on offense.  they need to surround wilson with good weapons.  there are a few backs in this draft who i think can really help the offense.  shouldn't pass on them for fear of playing too many youngsters.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

don't think adding a talented rookie RB (traditionally the "easiest" position for a rookie to come in and play) gives me extra pause. 

I pass on the RB because I, like the rest of the NFL, do not place a high value on the position. I'd rather they take a chance on a WR and work that player in. This system they're installing makes stars out of street free agents. A top shelf RB is a low level priority. Much, much lower than all of their needs on defense and a few on offense, too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Najee or Etienne...count me in at 23. Then get a guard at 34.

Would rather Javonte at 34 or by trading up from 66.

I saw one article (maybe Casserly) that survey the Front offices of something like 20 NFL teams anonymously, and more than one of them had Javonte Williams as the #1 back.

I simply think the Harris and Etienne by virtue of playing in the nation's two best college programs and always being in the College Football Playoff have gotten more hype and attention than Javonte who, by most accounts, is right in the mix with those two guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

All I know is we could’ve had Dalvin Cook in the second round instead of Maye.

thanks Macc 

S - Jamal Adams

S- Marcus Maye

 

...could have been....

 

QB - Pat Mahomes

RB - Dalvin Cook

... without trading up at all.

 

 

But, you know.... non-premium defensive positions are what the Draft is for!  Thanks Mac.

Tv Land Reaction GIF by #Impastor

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alka said:

I'm not just saying that the Jets will pick an OL with the #66 and or #87 picks because the Jets are in dire need of offensive linemen.  I'm saying that from all the many, many simulated mock drafts that I have done, you have great value at guard and center at those picks, which coincide with the Jets needs.  If the Jets pick a tackle at #23 or #34, then the Jets still need a guard or center.  They will be able to get a good one in the 3rd round.  That will be a sweet spot for those players.

When I do those simulators, yes terrific IOLs are available, who IMO will mostly all be gone by the end of the second rd but we will see.

I don’t see Landon Dickinson, Creed Humphrey, Meinerz, Ben Cleveland, even  Josh Meyers there in the 3rd , maybe Meyers with the first pick of the third, maybe.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

a good running back certainly take pressure off the qb and passing game but i'd be inclined to get the road graders set first.  i don't recall the shanahan type teams ever needing a super running back.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys it’s 💯 time to go all in on offense for the first time in my life, look at all the contending teams they BUY top defensive talent on 1 year deals to try and win Super Bowls, no one is able to BUY McCafferey or a Mike Evan’s these guys don’t come free until they stink while a lot of really good defenders do.

I hate the idea of Wilson but it seems it’s already decided so it is what it is (stupid IMO).  So grab the Florida WR that is compared to Tyreek Hill and any of the top 3 RB’s to go with Wilson with the first 3 picks and let the chips fall where they may, at the very least if Wilson is average the offense will be fun to watch.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, derp said:

How about the idea that outside zone schemes have consistently gotten outstanding RB production from mid-late round picks and street free agents in the scheme...and often the early round picks have actually busted? 

Or the importance of RB pass protection skill for the development of a young quarterback and that rookie RB’s are consistently deficient in that area?

Lots of better ways to support a young QB and a running game than taking a running back with premium draft capital. Particularly in this scheme.

The Jets currently don't have a RB on the roster worth starting. The entire offense revolves around the running game and play action. Without the threat of a good RB there is no threat of play action. If the Jets don't have aRB they feel can be the bell cow on the roster and feel like only 3 on the RB's in this draft can be the guy from the start AND your ability to run the ball is the most important part of the offense running their scheme the way they want to then you certainly have to consider one of those 3 guys late in round 1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

All I know is we could’ve had Dalvin Cook in the second round instead of Maye.

thanks Macc 

You mean Kamara he is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets currently don't have a RB on the roster worth starting. The entire offense revolves around the running game and play action. Without the threat of a good RB there is no threat of play action. If the Jets don't have aRB they feel can be the bell cow on the roster and feel like only 3 on the RB's in this draft can be the guy from the start AND your ability to run the ball is the most important part of the offense running their scheme the way they want to then you certainly have to consider one of those 3 guys late in round 1.

Correct.  There is not 1 legit rb on the roster.  The more and more I think about it, the more I see us taking Etienne or Williams at 34.  Whoever joe and the staff likes better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets currently don't have a RB on the roster worth starting. The entire offense revolves around the running game and play action. Without the threat of a good RB there is no threat of play action. If the Jets don't have aRB they feel can be the bell cow on the roster and feel like only 3 on the RB's in this draft can be the guy from the start AND your ability to run the ball is the most important part of the offense running their scheme the way they want to then you certainly have to consider one of those 3 guys late in round 1.

You mean  Jets don’t have a NAME RB worth starting .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Correct.  There is not 1 legit rb on the roster.  The more and more I think about it, the more I see us taking Etienne or Williams at 34.  Whoever joe and the staff likes better.

I think they'll move back into the 1st for one. Unless they want their pick of RB's then they'd have to take 1 ahead of the Steelers at 23.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

S - Jamal Adams

S- Marcus Maye

 

...could have been....

 

QB - Pat Mahomes

RB - Dalvin Cook

... without trading up at all.

 

 

But, you know.... non-premium defensive positions are what the Draft is for!  Thanks Mac.

Tv Land Reaction GIF by #Impastor

 

It’s sad because if some of the Jetnation posters ran that 2017 draft like myself before hindsight the Jets would have came away with Mahomes, Kamara, Kupp, Eddie Jackson, and George Kittle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Ty johnson has a place in this offense we agree but it's probably not as RB1 

Perine at 4.6 I don't see how he fits with this scheme at all 

He catches the ball very well in the flat , can block and we both know , sone guys improve their 40 in an NFL weight room.

all that being said, I never liked the pick, thought it was a small reach.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...