Pauline: Jets could pick RB in first or second rounds

The latest from Tony Pauline:

Are the New York Jets targeting a running back?

(8:45 AM ET) Don’t count out the New York Jets taking a running back with either the 23rd or 34th pick. While I’ve dismissed this possibility in the past, despite previously reporting the team has a high grade on Najee Harris, I’m told the Jets feel there is a big drop off after Harris, Travis Etienne, and Javonte Williams. The Jets see all three of those running backs as plug-and-play-type ball carriers.

What positions are the Jets targeting on the first two days of the NFL Draft?

(10:45 AM ET) It will come as a surprise to no one, but the New York Jets will look to address the cornerback and receiver positions early in the draft. From what’s coming out of Florham Park, the feeling is the Jets won’t use their second first-round pick on a cornerback, but rather wait until Day 2.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Pac said:

If you're going to give the ball to Zap then you have to give him someone in the backfield opposing d's have to think about.  Coleman and Adams ain't it.  Seems pretty obvious.

Jumping right into the Hide Zachopono Offense would be the right move, however

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If the Jets take a RB with either #23 or #34 then that RB had better be great at picking up the blitz because without upgrading the OL our new shiny QB will be blitzed 2/3 of the time and the RB won't have any holes to run through with the D stacking 8 guys in the box.

Yup, and let's remember that Saquon is an elite RB and even he has had trouble early in his career because his oline has been pretty bad. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

If the Jets take a RB with either #23 or #34 then that RB had better be great at picking up the blitz because without upgrading the OL our new shiny QB will be blitzed 2/3 of the time and the RB won't have any holes to run through with the D stacking 8 guys in the box.

Fo you expect at OL at both 23 and 34? I dont. In this scenario I would assume Jets still get OL help with the other pick. A lot of good OL in the mid rounds too for double dipping and development. 

Tevin Coleman had a AWS top speed of 21 MPH 

Ty Johnson, who looked like Carl Lewis compared to Frank Gore, had a top mph about 19. 

the Jets want guys who can get the edge and Coleman isn't a real RB starter

Trey Sermon is a hoss zone running back only really concern is the injuries and Kenneth Gainwell Memphis has that 4.45 speed they are looking for - both are like rd 2 guys 

we look at the draft as what positions do we need but the truth is that drafting by positions is a good way to end up with Jace Amaro because you need a tight end 

I could totally see JD going for a more sure thing RB pick in rd 2 when the offense doesn't really have a starting RB at the moment. RB and LB are the easiest to start as rookies and the Jets have huge holes at both. 

the worst team needs post FA are probably QB, RB, OG, TE on offense and SLB, WLB, BCB, NCB on defense 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Ty Johnson, who looked like Carl Lewis compared to Frank Gore, had a top mph about 19. 

Trey Sermon is a hoss zone running back only really concern is the injuries and Kenneth Gainwell Memphis has that 4.45 speed they are looking for - both are like rd 2 guys 

we look at the draft as what positions do we need but the truth is that drafting by positions is a good way to end up with Jace Amaro because you need a tight end 

I could totally see JD going for a more sure thing RB pick in rd 2 when the offense doesn't really have a starting RB at the moment 

the worst team needs post FA are probably QB, RB, TE, OG on offense and SLB, WLB, BCB, NCB on defense 

Also given that 23 pick is kinda in no mans land, it’s easy to see a trade back there and a rb late round 1.  This would still give them the opportunity to take an OL at 34 and in the 3rd round.

• Upvote 1

I didn't think the Jets could possibly pick a RB in the first round, but who knows. I wouldn't totally object to it. A lot will depend on how strongly they feel about Najee Harris and the gap between him and the rest of the field. Everyone is mocking Harris to the Steelers right after the Jets pick.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

RT at 23, RB at 34 and G/C at 66 (or move up from 66 to get into the late 2nd and grab yourself a starting caliber G)

All three of them start, along with ZW and we have ourselves a future.

That's the dream draft for me.  

Jets aren't going to be looking to have four rookie starters on opening day. Jebus, talk about getting Zach Wilson murderized... 

I hate the talk of a RB high. I hope their meetings with these guys was just a smoke screen. Love to see them both gone by #22. That would be a dream draft for me. Let other teams make the mistake of drafting a RB high, and push the more valuable players down to #23 & #34. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

If you're going to give the ball to Zap then you have to give him someone in the backfield opposing d's have to think about.  Coleman and Adams ain't it.  Seems pretty obvious.

I’m not buying in there, Ty Johnson fits what they want to do , they drafted Perine who can catch and ADams and Coleman are there for a reason also, I don’t agree that they will draft a RB that high.

Additionally, don’t  be surprised if Etienne is taken by Jax maybe at #25 or for sure at #33 , they have a boatload of picks and Etienne would make TL very comfy back there so he probably won’t be there at #34 either.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I could totally see JD going for a more sure thing RB pick in rd 2 when the offense doesn't really have a starting RB at the moment. RB and LB are the easiest to start as rookies and the Jets have huge holes at both. 

the worst team needs post FA are probably QB, RB, OG, TE on offense and SLB, WLB, BCB, NCB on defense 

You can probably get Sermon in the 4th round. He is one of those guys that people fell in love with because he played in big games, but he isn't really all that dynamic a RB and has injury concerns that are not good considering the way he runs. 

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

SLB, Jarrod Davis

NCB, Javelin Guidry

and what is BCB? 

boundary cb 

Jarrad Davis has only played inside in NFL games. Could he play SLB? Maybe. But he's never done it. 

the Jets are not self evaluating correctly. They probably have higher opinions on their OL than we do, and think their TE room is amazing 

2 minutes ago, Leftylarry said:

I’m not buying in there, Ty Johnson fits what they want to do , they drafted Perine who can catch and ADams and Coleman are there for a reason also, I don’t agree that they will draft a RB that high.

Additionally, don’t  be surprised if Etienne is taken by Jax maybe at #25 or for sure at #33 , they have a boatload of picks and Etienne would make TL very comfy back there so he probably won’t be there at #34 either.

Ty Johnson is a nice player and he's faster than what they had but he's still somewhat slow for the Matt Breida/Raheem Mostert they want for the outside zone

perine and the others will be cut before opening day, even if they don't go with a high pick they will find a guy off of SF waivers they like better 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can probably get Sermon in the 4th round. He is one of those guys that people fell in love with because he played in big games, but he isn't really all that dynamic a RB and has injury concerns that are not good considering the way he runs. 

his injuries are an issue, no question

still, he won't make it out of rd 2, whether the jets draft him or not 

Trey Sermon is the guy who you show up looking for Justin Fields film and say, who is that? 

alot of pro bowl stories start that way 

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

As long as we get an OL with the other pick, I'm good with this

this

i think the need is more dire to add a RB than a WR.  so as long as the o-line is addressed with one of these picks, i'd be fine adding a RB with the other.  the draft is supposedly deep in slot WRs, so that can be addressed later.  you have davis and mims as young WRs already locked in for the future.  

i'm not sold on the RB room, although i liked coleman as a veteran addition.  i understand RBs can be found anywhere in the draft, so i'm not pounding the table for them to take one early.  i'd prefer to take the OL in the 1st and RB in the 2nd, but good chance the top 2 RBs are off the board before the 2nd.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets aren't going to be looking to have four rookie starters on opening day. Jebus, talk about getting Zach Wilson murderized... 

Other than Zach, the only position on offense ripe for rookies is RB.

they love George Fant and Connor McGovern way more than we do. 

Dan Feeney will likely start at LG after they cut Alex Lewis 

Right guard is being stacked in favor of GVR/Cam Clark and they signed every tight end under the sun. 

• Upvote 1