A Little Common Sense Please!

11 hours ago, freestater said:

Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

raw

The best thing about that skit is that only very rarely could she or anyone else ever hold it together. That's what made it so funny IMO, like when Harvey Korman used to lose it on 'The Carol Burnett Show', which was all the time, haha.

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hi, ambassador of the Zach Wilson tribe here!

Would just like to confirm we found nothing wrong with this, as we are not triggered cry baby asshats around here and understand Wilson isn’t a sure thing months before he takes his first snap. We’re reasonable folk aside from our tribal habits.

love those tribal behaviors!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Fear of optimism and enjoying the possibilities is not common sense.   We were not put on this earth to suffer.  We crawled out of the primordial slim toward the sunlight from the darkness. 

But not everyone and slime has a E unless your referring to Crushers diet..B) 

59 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Hi, ambassador of the Zach Wilson tribe here!

Would just like to confirm we found nothing wrong with this, as we are not triggered cry baby asshats around here and understand Wilson isn’t a sure thing months before he takes his first snap. We’re reasonable folk aside from our tribal habits.

Have you met my friend, @johnnysd

It’s always easy to throw wins/losses out preseason as a barometer for success. But what’s the context behind those numbers?

6-8 wins with a majority being low scoring garbage fest “nail biters” coming against scrub teams who have a lot of star players out, or late in the season against playoff teams that have already clinched isnt the same as beating up on bad teams and winning against a couple of contenders and hanging with the elite but ultimately losing.

An easy and realistic comp for this season, I want this team to look like the 97 team be season’s end.

• We didnt make the playoffs but there was real hope for the future.

• We beat some good teams.

• We beat up on bad teams.

• We were a tough out for good teams.

• The culture was truly changed.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 hours ago, addage said:

The Board is filled with topics and comments that are euphoric about the drafting of Zach Wilson and the Jets recent draft.  Trust me.  No one wants Wilson to succeed more than I do.  I watched Titans games in high school.  I always tell people that I was raised a Catholic.  Thus, we were put on this earth to suffer—and that’s why I am a Jets fan.

I am a huge fan of JD and think he has been brilliant in his handling the Jets since his ascension to the “CEO” of football operations.

BUT—We have a rookie HC, a rookie OC, a rookie DC and a rookie QB.  The OLine is a work in progress.  JD has added talent, but you can’t buy or draft cohesion.  It’s going to take time.  A lot of talent has been added to the skill positions.  But we are a year or more from having an established star in any of these slots.

Our D has some very fine players.  But we have a lot of holes/unknowns at LB and DB.  Is Mosley a real player or not?  Who knows?

And then there’s Zach.  He has a bunch of outstanding attributes.  He moves well, has a quick release, he’s charismatic.  And more.  But virtually all of the QB’s drafted in the early rounds over the last few years also had outstanding attributes—and still failed/disappointed.

Can Zach avoid injury—don’t know.  Can Zach read defenses at an NFL level—don’t know.  Can Zach work through the progression of WR options at a pro level—don’t know.  Will Zach be a top tier NFL QB—don’t know but I sure hope so.

Las Vegas has us at 6 wins and that seems about right.  My guess is we lose 5 of 6 in the division.  Maybe we get a split with NE.  Then, we play Denver, Tennessee, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Tampa Bay.  Maybe we win 1 of those.  That leaves Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.  If we split those, that gives a 5 win season.

None of this is to throw dirt on the Wilson, Douglas or the Jets.  But it does suggest that we should be looking to 2022 for the first real sense that we are emerging as a force in the NFL.  If we have a 5-6 win season, the value of our draft capital increases in one of the more talent laden years.  All that is good.

Shrinks always link mania with depression and they are right.  Skip the euphoria, avoid the depression.

You’re not saying anything surprising here, or even pessimistic. 5-6 wins seems realistic with the changes to the team/org. Are Bengals fans saying Burrow’s a bust after a year of not winning? No, because you could see that his talent translates. 

I feel better about the Jets chances of competing than the Bengals, because I think the Jets have the right coaching staff and schemes in place. Just give me a team that is moving in the right direction with a QB who looks legit.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

raw

The best thing about that skit is that only very rarely could she or anyone else ever hold it together. That's what made it so funny IMO, like when Harvey Korman used to lose it on 'The Carol Burnett Show', which was all the time, haha.

And it's funny because we all know people like that.  Especially around here.

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

It’s always easy to throw wins/losses out preseason as a barometer for success. But what’s the context behind those numbers?

6-8 wins with a majority being low scoring garbage fest “nail biters” coming against scrub teams who have a lot of star players out, or late in the season against playoff teams that have already clinched isnt the same as beating up on bad teams and winning against a couple of contenders and hanging with the elite but ultimately losing.

An easy and realistic comp for this season, I want this team to look like the 97 team be season’s end.

• We didnt make the playoffs but there was real hope for the future.

• We beat some good teams.

• We beat up on bad teams.

• We were a tough out for good teams.

• The culture was truly changed.

While I'm generally with the OP (in fact, I feel a little plagiarized), I will say that Adam Gase broke a string of new coaches for the Jets, starting with Parcells in '97, who all had a winning season their first year with the team. Groh, Herm, Rex, Bowles and, hell, even Mangini all had winning records their first season as coach of the team. It's not impossible. 

That said, I'm with you. This is exactly what I want to see. I think it's a good thing that the team has a lot of road games early. I don't think it's so bad if they work out what are sure to be some serious growing pains on the road. Things are starting to gel at the halfway mark while finishing with 6 out of 9 at home could be a lot of fun for everyone even if, like you say, they're merely a tough out. It's that culture change I want to see. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

But not everyone and slime has a E unless your referring to Crushers diet..B) 

I still have webbed feet you expect my fish brain to be able to spell slime?   Edit made thanks to the evolution of a fellow old timer.  

14 hours ago, addage said:

The Board is filled with topics and comments that are euphoric about the drafting of Zach Wilson and the Jets recent draft.  Trust me.  No one wants Wilson to succeed more than I do.  I watched Titans games in high school.  I always tell people that I was raised a Catholic.  Thus, we were put on this earth to suffer—and that’s why I am a Jets fan.

I am a huge fan of JD and think he has been brilliant in his handling the Jets since his ascension to the “CEO” of football operations.

BUT—We have a rookie HC, a rookie OC, a rookie DC and a rookie QB.  The OLine is a work in progress.  JD has added talent, but you can’t buy or draft cohesion.  It’s going to take time.  A lot of talent has been added to the skill positions.  But we are a year or more from having an established star in any of these slots.

Our D has some very fine players.  But we have a lot of holes/unknowns at LB and DB.  Is Mosley a real player or not?  Who knows?

And then there’s Zach.  He has a bunch of outstanding attributes.  He moves well, has a quick release, he’s charismatic.  And more.  But virtually all of the QB’s drafted in the early rounds over the last few years also had outstanding attributes—and still failed/disappointed.

Can Zach avoid injury—don’t know.  Can Zach read defenses at an NFL level—don’t know.  Can Zach work through the progression of WR options at a pro level—don’t know.  Will Zach be a top tier NFL QB—don’t know but I sure hope so.

Las Vegas has us at 6 wins and that seems about right.  My guess is we lose 5 of 6 in the division.  Maybe we get a split with NE.  Then, we play Denver, Tennessee, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Tampa Bay.  Maybe we win 1 of those.  That leaves Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Philadelphia and Jacksonville.  If we split those, that gives a 5 win season.

None of this is to throw dirt on the Wilson, Douglas or the Jets.  But it does suggest that we should be looking to 2022 for the first real sense that we are emerging as a force in the NFL.  If we have a 5-6 win season, the value of our draft capital increases in one of the more talent laden years.  All that is good.

Shrinks always link mania with depression and they are right.  Skip the euphoria, avoid the depression.

As you said an offense start would really put pressure on opposing defenses. There are x-factors like Davis, Mims, etc. but even though we would like both top draft picks to do it right away, but it would really help if either WR Moore or RB Carter start out where they are very dominant making themselves very tough for opposing D's to contain them. That would not only have that player provide an safety outlet for Wilson almost all the time, but once D's have to focus on that player others on the team will have less coverage on them like Davis, Mims, Herndon, etc. and be able to more easily make plays themselves. Our defense will go as far as the Dline takes us. If the front 4 without blitzing can get pressure on QBs, we know we always stop the run pretty well. That would then take pressure off the back 7 of the defense preventing the coverage at those levels from having to hold for that long. Defenses with front 4's that play like that can cover up many of the weaknesses of the back 7 players even with the advantages offenses have these days since everyone wants to see scoring so much that is all the NFL prioritizes.

Win the first game.  That's honestly the most important thing for this team and it has nothing to do with beating Darnold.  The Jets have started the past few years losing in Week 1.  It really set a horrible tone for the rest of the season, and I'd argue that first loss of the Gase era when Buffalo came all the way back, Mosley got hurt, etc. set the tone for his entire tenure.  Contrast that with a road win in Houston in Rex's first game when Sanchez was a rookie.  There would be nothing more meaningful and positive for Saleh, Wilson and the rest of the team than a road win in Week 1.  I wouldn't care if the Jets still ended up finishing a couple games under .500.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Win the first game.  That's honestly the most important thing for this team and it has nothing to do with beating Darnold. 

SOJ is a “thing” and I’m sure many players around the league know the phrase..... starting out with a win would certainly take a lot of pressure off, especially going 0-13 to start last year. 

A “kumbaya” moment to start the season can do wonders!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Win the first game.  That's honestly the most important thing for this team and it has nothing to do with beating Darnold.  The Jets have started the past few years losing in Week 1.  It really set a horrible tone for the rest of the season, and I'd argue that first loss of the Gase era when Buffalo came all the way back, Mosley got hurt, etc. set the tone for his entire tenure.  Contrast that with a road win in Houston in Rex's first game when Sanchez was a rookie.  There would be nothing more meaningful and positive for Saleh, Wilson and the rest of the team than a road win in Week 1.  I wouldn't care if the Jets still ended up finishing a couple games under .500.

Rookie Sam won his first game under Bowles..

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

It’s all pretty simple..... love God with your whole heart and love your fellow man as you would yourself.

Indeed.  It really is that simple!  Love God, and that let that love manifest itself primarily in how you treat others, with Jesus providing the "guidebook" on how to do so.  Our faith is based on a horizontal view and not so much a vertical one.  Look around you for those in need rather than constantly looking up for validation.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Kinda like ... dont tell me 2 + 2 = 4 or the the earth is round ....

Flat earthers unite.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What's Geno got to do with this?

Sidenote: maybe Geno is actually a genius. If the Earth were flat... no need for timezones.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, addage said:

winnable.jpg

There are 10 winnable games on the schedule.  Saleh better win 8.  Gase won 7 with a harder schedule and a crappier roster.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

winnable.jpg

There are 10 winnable games on the schedule.  Saleh better win 8.  Gase won 7 with a harder schedule and a crappier roster.  

SAR I

Gee and none of the other teams endeavored to improve their roster this off season?

26 minutes ago, jgb said:

Gee and none of the other teams endeavored to improve their roster this off season?

Certainly.

But none will be as good at the playoff Browns and the playoff Rams who we beat in back-to-back weeks last season with a worse team and the worst head coach in NFL history.

If Robert Saleh can't beat Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Denver, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston, Philadelphia, and either the Saints or one of the divisional games, what the hell did we hire him for?

SAR I 

Just now, SAR I said:

Certainly.

But none will be as good at the playoff Browns and the playoff Rams who we beat in back-to-back weeks last season with a worse team and the worst head coach in NFL history.

If Robert Saleh can't beat Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Denver, Atlanta, Carolina, Houston, Philadelphia, and either the Saints or one of the divisional games, what the hell did we hire him for?

SAR I 

Oh Saleh will take his lumps this season. Defensive talent is straight up trash and will be a bottom-10 (optimistically) more likely bottom 5 unit.

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Oh Saleh will take his lumps this season. Defensive talent is straight up trash and will be a bottom-10 (optimistically) more likely bottom 5 unit.

Then we should have kept the old coaching staff.  Because if we've got another 1-2 years of sucking and rebuilding, the burnout on Saleh, LaFleur, and Ulbrich will run them right out of town (or, in Jets fashion, the fans will run them out of town).

A smart franchise flips the coaching staff when it feels its ready to take the next step.  Not when its in the middle of the muck.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, SAR I said:

Then we should have kept the old coaching staff.  Because if we've got another 1-2 years of sucking and rebuilding, the burnout on Saleh, LaFleur, and Ulbrich will run them right out of town (or, in Jets fashion, the fans will run them out of town).

A smart franchise flips the coaching staff when it feels its ready to take the next step.  Not when its in the middle of the muck.

SAR I

Ya lost me there. It’s never the wrong time to catapult a garbage HC into orbit.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This reasoning to keep a poor coach just because the franchise is not ready to take the next step is rather confusing to me. If you continue to roll with a poor coach you will never get better and always be “ mired in the muck “ and never be ready to take the next step to hire a competent coach and staff You can’t get rid of a poor coach and his staff fast enough. Your loyalty to Gase is commendable but misguided he was a terrible hire 

• Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1