Alex Lewis Re-Works Contract, Will hit Free Agency Following Season

This is an excellent move by JD!!  Lewis has a real shot at winning the right guard position, and if not, is solid depth at several positions on the line.

It's a win-win, since Lewis would most certainly have been cut if he stood pat at $5.8 Million.

I would love our draft pick from last year, Cam Clark, to win the job, since Van Roten was a liability last year, and would be unacceptable for him to get the job again.

Any way you look at it, the Jets need to get a right guard in next years draft, and I will predict now that the Jets will get either a right guard or right tackle in the first 2 rounds in next years draft, especially since we have 4 picks in these two rounds next year.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I'd love if we could do something like this for Crowder.

If he were cut what kind of contract could he get on the open market right now?  Maybe like a one year $7.5 mill I'm thinking.  Reduce him to that fully guaranteed - BAM  

Stop saying he is getting cut. Crowder is not Lewis. If we cut him, we are cutting a useful player. I don’t think JD would do it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, David Harris said:

JD!!!

this was best case scenario- keep the player at a reasonable price. Competition at RG will be intense and now we’ve secured good depth at IOL between Lewis, GVR, Feeney and Cam Clarke

Agreed.  Ideal would be for Clark to win the job and then we have a couple of nice experienced depth guys behind him and AVT.  And if Clark is not ready, we have a couple of options -- may not be great options, but better off than we have been in past years with depth along the IOL.  Still thin at the tackle spots, but some nice depth on the interior OL.

1 minute ago, Drums said:

Stop saying he is getting cut. Crowder is not Lewis. If we cut him, we are cutting a useful player. I don’t think JD would do it. 

I agree.  Crowder will not get cut, nor will the Jets try to rework his contract.

JD reworked Lewis's contract because JD surely told Lewis that he would be cut if he didn't agree to reworking.  

JD will not be telling Crowder to rework his deal, since JD will absolutely not cut Crowder, so it is a mute point.

• Upvote 3

Lewis’ previous salary was likely to get him cut if he failed to win the starting job at RG. It’s a win-win move as now he’s an inexpensive, reliable backup at worst, but he has a chance to win the job and enter free agency as a starter next year. 

And yeah, I could see Crowder facing a similar situation, although he’s already scheduled to be a free agent next year. I think if it happens for him, it’ll be one of those ****ty side of the business deals where he’s approached to take a pay cut or be cut should Moore and/or Cole look good at his job in camp. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I feel bad for him. He planned on getting paid $5.8 million but has to settle on only $3 million. 

I wish my life was so bad as his is.  Getting $3 million for 1 year is better than what I made over the last 20 years combined.  I don't feel bad for him; I feel bad for me.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I wish my life was so bad as his is.  Getting $3 million for 1 year is better than what I made over the last 20 years combined.  I don't feel bad for him; I feel bad for me.

Not so fun fact: Many people won't make 1 million in their lifetime. 

Edit - Many, not most. This may have been true when I first heard this when I was a kid.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Not so fun fact: Most people won't make 1 million in their lifetime. 

Mmmmmmm idk about that.

Even the guy making 25k makes 100k every 4 years so in 40 years hes made a million.

dude making 50k makes a million in 20.

• Upvote 2

Good move for both team and player.

His salary made him a likely cut, as GVR was significantly cheaper.

Now, those two plus the younger guys can battle it out with the best guy winning the job.

If Lewis wins (probably quite likely) he's motivated to play well with a shot at FA in the offseason.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Ideal would be for Clark to win the job and then we have a couple of nice experienced depth guys behind him and AVT.  And if Clark is not ready, we have a couple of options -- may not be great options, but better off than we have been in past years with depth along the IOL.  Still thin at the tackle spots, but some nice depth on the interior OL.

Yeah and retaining Lewis is important for Tackle depth in a way.  If Becton went down AVT probably slides over keeping Fant at RT and then Lewis could play LG again.  

Keeping Lewis at a lower salary is the best possible scenario, glad this worked out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Mmmmmmm idk about that.

Even the guy making 25k makes 100k every 4 years so in 40 years hes made a million.

In the United States and other developed countries, yes.

Average GDP per capita for the entire world is less than $15k unfortunately.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alka said:

And homeless people look at your life and wonder what you have to complain about. Everyone has a right to bitch and moan.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I agree.  Crowder will not get cut, nor will the Jets try to rework his contract.

JD reworked Lewis's contract because JD surely told Lewis that he would be cut if he didn't agree to reworking.  

JD will not be telling Crowder to rework his deal, since JD will absolutely not cut Crowder, so it is a mute point.

Meh, why speak in such absolute terms about something you can't possibly know.  Crowder may not get cut or asked to reduce his salary but there is a simple logic that he could.   There is a younger, better, cheaper player at his position on the roster and Crowder has a very high salary at $10.5 million, for comparison Cole Beasley is getting paid $7.3 million for the same job and he doesn't have a younger, better, cheaper guy behind him.

Also consider Salah's comments today about not wanting to sign a veteran CB because it would eat reps from the young guys.  Salah clearly wants to get his first and second year players as many reps as possible and the Jets clearly would love getting Zach chemistry with Moore as they are guaranteed to be together for the next 4 seasons i.e. grow together.  Crowder is in the way of that.

It's a similar scenario to Alex Lewis.  I'd love to keep the player at a lower salary.  If that's not possible then they may get cut/traded.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Meh, why speak in such absolute terms about something you can't possibly know. 

Happy The Rock GIF

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

There is a younger, better, cheaper player at his position on the roster

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Of Lewis, GVR, Clark and Feeney, Lewis is the best athlete and football player.  He is just injury prone and crazy.

I predict he wins the starting G spot and gets a contract from someone in 2022.  Its 50/50 Clark makes the team.

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Mmmmmmm idk about that.

I heard this a long time ago. It may have been true 20 years ago, or never true at all. It could have been take home pay, or maybe I just repeated something I heard without fact checking it first.

Fun Factoid - Most people have missing socks. 

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Lewis’ previous salary was likely to get him cut if he failed to win the starting job at RG. It’s a win-win move as now he’s an inexpensive, reliable backup at worst, but he has a chance to win the job and enter free agency as a starter next year. 

And yeah, I could see Crowder facing a similar situation, although he’s already scheduled to be a free agent next year. I think if it happens for him, it’ll be one of those ****ty side of the business deals where he’s approached to take a pay cut or be cut should Moore and/or Cole look good at his job in camp. 

Until I read otherwise I'm going to presume his salary isn't guaranteed; otherwise it makes little sense at this juncture, with Feeney already more or less guaranteed at ~$4MM, plus GVR who may still be the favorite to win the starting RG job at ~$3.5MM. If GVR is the starter, then that'd be a pair of $3-4MM backups, which I'd be surprised to see on any team. Fluff article aside, I don't expect to see Clark starting this year (unless there are other injuries). 

Agree on Crowder's $ not being 100% secure. In his case, a salary cut would have to come with it all being guaranteed. But what if they all look good this summer and it's just a numbers game where - barring injuries - he's not going to see enough snaps to warrant even a $3MM cut? A good problem to have, but they can make that offer at the end of the summer (yes, to put one of those icky-to-watch Hard Knocks Tannenbaum-Clemens squeezes on the player).

Unless he's the clear "starting" slot receiver, Crowder has less incentive to take any pay cut that deep (let alone deeper). If he's looking at being stuck behind 3-4 other WRs (and a resurgence in the Jets utilizing the TE position), then like Cotchery in his first couple years in Pittsburgh, his numbers on the '21 Jets won't help him get his dollars up before becoming a '22 UFA. Rather than take a pay cut, in that situation where Moore and/or Cole are bumped ahead of him, he could probably still get at least in that ballpark for this season after getting released, on a team where he'd see more action.

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Hey, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Basically the difference between a Nissan Altima SV and a Nissan Altima SL.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

And homeless people look at your life and wonder what you have to complain about. Everyone has a right to bitch and moan.

I used to poke a young lady who lived in a fabulous CP South condo. She told me a story about a woman in her building. Turns out my lady was doing errands on lower west side and saw this woman dressed as a homeless person and was begging. After being caught she told my friend she was making around 75k/year tax free for a few hours a day. Paid for her condo. 

Disgusting, but it happens a lot. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sweetjoe said:

In the United States and other developed countries, yes.

Average GDP per capita for the entire world is less than $15k unfortunately.

Agreed.

So what we're saying is that Alex Lewis is basically like Jeff Bezos now if he went to a third world country.  Seems like a good deal.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I heard this a long time ago. It may have been true 20 years ago, or never true at all. It could have been take home pay, or maybe I just repeated something I heard without fact checking it first.

Fun Factoid - Most people have missing socks. 

Lol yea back in the day a million was a lot.

I understand your point though... a s ton of money

18 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Mmmmmmm idk about that.

it's not what you make, it's what you keep.  okay so lewis takes a pay cut.  even at that lower rate he has a good chance to keep more than a person making 50K over 20 years.

19 hours ago, Drums said:

Yes.

This idea of cutting Crowder is just completely short sighted.  Crowder is a very good receiver and, as you stated, a useful player.

If I KNEW we would have no injuries (which is impossible to happen) at WR I might consider moving on - but even then we're still not sure what Mims and have no idea what Moore will be.

We're developing a young QB - the idea is to give him everything we can to support him.  Getting rid of a quality receiver to save cap money, when we already have an abundance of it would be moronic... 

• Upvote 1