What If?

Looking at this roster, there are a lot of questions but what if all of them were answered positively.  I'm not talking unrealistic goals but ones that individually are all reasonable..

Now, I realize they ALL won't happen but let's imagine they all do...

What If....

Offense

• Becton makes the leap and becomes a top 10 LT
  • AVT lives up to the hype and has a strong rookie year
  • McGovern finds his old form and is a top half of the league center
  • Cameron Clark wins the RG job as he outplays GVR and the others
  • Herdon learns to catch and lives up to even a little bit of the hype from his rookie year
  • Elijah Moore becomes a true weapon that can take it the house on any given play
  • Michael Carter (RB) is as good as advertised, scares defenses to keep more guys in the box
  • Mims breaks out this year and combined with Davis they become a true one-two punch.  Neither being a #1 but combined as two strong 2's that compliment each other
  • Zach Wilson plays smart, controlled football.  Shows he can make plays - keeps defenses honest but still looks like a rookie  - 3,200 yards or so type season.

Defense

1. Q breaks out and becomes a truly dominant interior DL
  2. Rest of the DL plays solid and is a top 5 unit
  3. Lawson holds true to form - guy that gets a lot of pressure but doesn't have huge sack numbers - but disruptive none-the-less
  4. Mosley returns to all-pro form
  5. We sign another solid CB like Sherman or some other solid starter - overall below average group but not bottom 5
  6. One or two of these late round rookies become legitimate contributors

Individually nothing on that list should surprise anyone, the idea of them all happening is the issue - but just for fun...

What's the record of this team?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

I actually think every point you made will happen.  And we will win 9 games and finish 2nd in the division.

That's what's most interesting about this -there  is finally real talent on this team - all over the place...they just have to put it together.

I think if all of that happens as @CSNY said this is an 11 win team - division champs.  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Looking at this roster, there are a lot of questions but what if all of them were answered positively.  I'm not talking unrealistic goals but ones that individually are all reasonable..

What If....

Offense

• Herdon learns to catch and lives up to even a little bit of the hype from his rookie year
  • Elijah Moore becomes a true weapon that can take it the house on any given play
  • Michael Carter (RB) is as good as advertised, scares defenses to keep more guys in the box
  • Mims breaks out this year and combined with Davis they become a true one-two punch.  Neither being a #1 but combined as two strong 2's that compliment each other
  • Zach Wilson plays smart, controlled football.  Shows he can make plays - keeps defenses honest but still looks like a rookie  - 3,200 yards or so type season.

Defense

3. Lawson holds true to form - guy that gets a lot of pressure but doesn't have huge sack numbers - but disruptive none-the-less
  5. We sign another solid CB like Sherman or some other solid starter - overall below average group but not bottom 5

Individually nothing on that list should surprise anyone, the idea of them all happening is the issue - but just for fun...

8-8

I approve this message. 

Why?

Because I keep telling people there are at least 20 Jet players who we're all excited to watch play this upcoming season. 

People don't believe me. 

However. 

You just mentioned 13 of them by individual name within OP (potentially 14, Richard Sherman). 

I'd like to add the likes of...

Jamison Crowder. 

Keenan Cole. 

Marcus Maye. 

Bless Austin. 

Bryce Hall. 

Sheldon Rankins. 

Jabari Zuniga. 

Hamsah Nasirildeen. 

Your original 13 + these 8 ='s no less than 21 players who I'm anxious to see take the field under coach Saleh. 

Heck.

La'Mical Perine (RB, Florida).

Kenny Yeboah (TE, Ole' Miss). 

Ashtyn Davis (Safety, 2nd year). 

Lamarcus Joyner (Safety, Former FSU favorite of mine and 2nd round pick). 

Jamien Sherwood (why not? He was our first Defensive player drafted after going Offense x4). Auburn of the SEC. 

Maybe I'm bugging but 2021 can't come soon enough...

Rich Kotite went 1-15 in 1996. 

Bill Parcells went 9-7 in 1997. 

Hopefully Adam Gase was our 2020 (2-14) type of Rich Kotite - and coach Robert Saleh becomes our 2021's version of Big Tuna's 1997 (NYJ) turnaround. 

(A 17th game could help us sneak into the playoffs - unlike game #16 @ Lions). 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I approve this message. 

Why?

Because I keep telling people there are at least 20 Jet players who we're all excited to watch play this upcoming season. 

People don't believe me. 

However. 

You just mentioned 13 of them by individual name within OP (potentially 14, Richard Sherman). 

Jamison Crowder. 

Keenan Cole. 

Marcus Maye. 

Bless Austin. 

Bryce Hall. 

Sheldon Rankins. 

Jabari Zuniga. 

Hamsah Nasirildeen. 

Your original 13 + these 8 ='s no less than 21 players who I'm anxious to see take the field under coach Saleh. 

Heck.

Jamien Sherwood (why not? He was our first Defensive player drafted after going Offense x4). Auburn of the SEC. 

Hopefully Adam Gase was our 2020 (2-14) type of Rich Kotite - and coach Robert Saleh becomes our 2021's version of Big Tuna's 1997 (NYJ) turnaround. 

I was really trying to look at the team and put together a series of realistic scenarios...I didn't want to put anything on that list that is a long shot on it's own.

as an example..

Zuniga becoming a serious contributor to me is a long - that doesn't mean I'm not super excited to watch him and hope but would still be a bit of surprise.  

or

Crowder is going to be what he is - a very good slot receiver - so he wasn't added.

etc..

But I couldn't agree with you more - there are plenty of reasons to be excited and far more than 14 people that I'm looking forward to watching.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What If....

Offense

Defense

I’d assume  @SAR I may shut up about his 8 win mandate? 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I was really trying to look at the team and put together a series of realistic scenarios...I didn't want to put anything on that list that is a long shot on it's own.

as an example..

Zuniga becoming a serious contributor to me is a long - that doesn't mean I'm not super excited to watch him and hope but would still be a bit of surprise.  

or

Crowder is going to be what he is - a very good slot receiver - so he wasn't added.

etc..

But I couldn't agree with you more - there are plenty of reasons to be excited and far more than 14 people that I'm looking forward to watching.

I have to disagree on Jamison Crowder. 

Give him a hopefully super talented QB in Zach Wilson and guess what? Surrounded by the likes of Denzel Mims and Corey Davis on the outside? With an explosive Tyreek Hill type in Elijah Moore gunning the slot? When 4 wide? Can't no DIME CB stop Jamison Crowder let alone contain him; dude is a top 3 slot/inside WR. 

Dude has recorded 137 receptions for 1,532 receiving yards and 12 TD receptions over the previous two seasons (as a JET): And he's STILL only 27 years of age!!

Despite an incompetent Adam Gase, a dreadful Sam Darnold, an awful washed up Flacco, disaster O-Lineman, Frank Gore @ RB along with absolute horse crap surrounding him for "offensive talent". 

Jamison Crowder is actually one of my top 10 Jets who I'm most looking forward to and he's going to be an awesome leader for our younger pups like Mims and Elijah and Herndon Jr. too. 

By far our most underrated (talented, JET!). 

image.thumb.png.c03aa2bec579a4edb644f0bc92a58437.png

image.png.388efc418803fabaca9b85a2a695057a.png

image.thumb.png.e43f0ab727b4066d0a8a32ae86d4fc55.png

And God forbid anything happens to either one of Mims/Davis/Elijah (because injuries happen to every WR core) it'll be Jamison Crowder who comes to the rescue of Zach Wilson as a potential, season savior. 

I absolutely love this kid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What If....

Offense

Defense

I'll do my only geometry if/then statement I may get right. If all those events occur, then record = 9 and 8 and possibly playoff berth.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I approve this message. 

Why?

People don't believe me. 

However. 

Jamison Crowder. 

Keenan Cole. 

Marcus Maye. 

Bless Austin. 

Bryce Hall. 

Sheldon Rankins. 

Jabari Zuniga. 

Hamsah Nasirildeen. 

Heck.

Hey, imagine even if K Naggar ends up being good as well. That would be great.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What If....

Offense

Defense

Holy sh*t, Fidelio with an optimistic post (even if its all hypothetical, he could easily have gone the negative route) about the roster Joe Douglas has built?

WHAT IS HAPPENING

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Hmmm. What’s confusing about that?

honestly.  I don’t get it. 

I think it was the part where you called Davis-Mims a "1-2 punch" but then labeled them as both 2's in the same sentence.  You can't really have a 1-2 punch with two 2's.  

FTR I think the idea of them both being essentially good # 2 WR's is accurate.  I have no idea how well they'll compliment each other but I like both receivers a lot.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

It won’t all happen. Some will undoubtedly disappoint and there will be injuries, some long term some not. I do however except this team to be very competitive and I don’t expect to be blown off the field almost every week. It is also likely we will in fact play some meaningful games in October and perhaps into November ( unlike the last few years). Ultimately though, this is the first step in the process. Best case 7 wins. Worst case 5.

• Upvote 2

That's asking a lot of things to come together,  I think a few are possible.  Namely; Herndon having a breakout year.  I just feel it in my bones.  Mosley maybe not All-Pro form but definitely reminds us of the impact he can have on the game.  Lawson better keep up the hurries and hopefully convert at a higher rate, otherwise he's useless.  Not sure the rest really has that big of an impact, unless Carter becomes Alvin Kamara.  

The only other feedback I have on these thoughts is; if Davis and Mims realize their potential and are a 1-2 punch so to speak and Moore breaks out a legit take it to the house player coupled with a game breaker RB and Herdon breaking out,  you'd have to assume the 3,200 for Wilson is a modest guess.  Probably goes higher then that if everything comes together this way.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

What If....

Offense

Defense

If all of that happens, and I think a lot of it can, we will be playing for a playoff spot. 

If THAT happens, those 4 picks in the 1st rd next year will be the final pieces to a bona fide contender. 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Holy sh*t, Fidelio with an optimistic post (even if its all hypothetical, he could easily have gone the negative route) about the roster Joe Douglas has built?

WHAT IS HAPPENING

I'm not a negative fan, just a realist.  I was just calling out what was painfully obvious the past few years.  We had a horrible roster...And I'm not going pretend it is just because I'm a fan.  

I like this team right now, well at least its potential.  I think this offseason went about as well as could have been expected.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

If Zach Wilson can have Burrow/Herbert type of rookie season we should be competitive. 

Considering Herbert's rookie season was arguably the greatest rookie season by a QB in NFL history, I sure would hope so, lol.

And even if that happens and we aren't competitive, it wouldn't matter.  Having found an exciting young QB prospect for the first time since Joe Namath would be enough to call the season a success regardless.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a negative fan, just a realist.  I was just calling out what was painfully obvious the past few years.  We had a horrible roster...And I'm not going pretend it is just because I'm a fan.  

I like this team right now, well at least its potential.  I think this offseason went about as well as could have been expected.

We did have a horrible roster; on this we never disagreed.  The arguments we had were over whether Douglas was turning things around. 

My take was Maccagnan was at fault for like 98 % of our problems, but you believed Douglas was making a lot of poor decisions in his first offseason (first 2 if you count 2019 when he arrived late in the game) and might not be the right guy at GM.  

Now we seem to be on the same page that Douglas is doing good work, and that's weird!  

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

That's asking a lot of things to come together,  I think a few are possible.  Namely; Herndon having a breakout year.  I just feel it in my bones.  Mosley maybe not All-Pro form but definitely reminds us of the impact he can have on the game.  Lawson better keep up the hurries and hopefully convert at a higher rate, otherwise he's useless.  Not sure the rest really has that big of an impact, unless Carter becomes Alvin Kamara.  

The only other feedback I have on these thoughts is; if Davis and Mims realize their potential and are a 1-2 punch so to speak and Moore breaks out a legit take it to the house player coupled with a game breaker RB and Herdon breaking out,  you'd have to assume the 3,200 for Wilson is a modest guess.  Probably goes higher then that if everything comes together this way.

I’d be ok to start with nobody gets mono. 

• Haha 1