Training Camp Updates - Tues Aug 3

Lith

4 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

An honest Q, and you all know I’m a noob so thread carefully:

Could it be that Bechton is struggling due to the new blocking scheme? Is there a new blocking scheme? Is Bechton struggling?  

There are tackles who have great hands and feet and win with the pat-a-cake method of blocking: getting position, latching on, hand fighting and mirroring with footwork.  Then there are tackles (Jason Peters type) who prefer the pancake method.  This is what Becton's best at.  He needs to go back to punching first instead of catching and redirecting.  Get his hands on, stalemate and dominate.  He's not going to dance with speed rushers, he's too damned big.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

An honest Q, and you all know I’m a noob so thread carefully:

Could it be that Bechton is struggling due to the new blocking scheme? Is there a new blocking scheme? Is Bechton struggling?  

I’m late here. Who’s saying Becton is struggling? Because Lawson is winning some battles? Those two have been going back and forth all camp. That would just be a stupid statement. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

FWIW, I'm not calling this a mess.  Not at all.  I love JD's approach, I'm excited about Saleh, Lafleur seems like a great hire.  I'm excited about this regime.  Just nervous about the lack of support system around Zach, that's all.

I have a bit of that same nervousness. He was in a perfect situation and then the ultimate loss. LaFleur I think is very qualified as a first time OC because of his background and his brother. I would have thought we would wait a little and hire a new passing game coordinator but it seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Write up from DJ after today's practice.

Robert Saleh’s Jets flash run game in first day with pads at training camp
By DJ BIEN-AIME II
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
AUG 03, 2021 AT 4:29 PM

Tuesday was the first day of padded practice at training camp, which meant the big nasties finally got to be physical.

Most people fawn over skill players because they’re the more elegant position. They’re the ones making the exciting acrobatic grabs on highlight reels and are usually the most popular.

But if a team doesn’t possess dogs in the trenches, none of the pretty stuff matters.

With pads on for first time, the Jets finally got a proper assessment of those trenches because you can only learn so much in a T-shirt and shorts. The club now thinks the offensive line and defensive line are where the strength of the team is.

The main takeaways from the first day in pads: the offensive line was able to flash in the run game and the defensive line was able to detonate plays with immediate penetration, especially in the pass game.

On the first play of 11-on-11, Michael Carter burst left for a major gain of 15 yards. Then on the next play Tevin Coleman showed good patience to allow his blocks to set up before sneaking through the right A gap for a solid gain and a first down.

Those were some of the plays they worked on to start practice.

After, Zach Wilson faked a handoff left and by the time he turned his head, Carl Lawson was in his face, close enough to bear hug him. That was probably the fastest Lawson has reached the quarterback during camp. The play continued and the rookie hit Corey Davis on a 15-yard dig route over the middle.

A few plays later, Bryce Huff destroyed a toss left to La’ Mical Perine, but Huff met him in the backfield.

There was another moment when Wilson targeted Davis, but was rushed and the pass was incomplete. Lawson created that pressure again.

Later, Wilson threw to Braxton Berrios on an out route, but it would have been a sack because Huff quickly beat Morgan Moses.

Overall, the practice featured a good back and forth between the offensive line and defensive line.

Head coach Robert Saleh highlighted how the competition in the trenches was positive, but acknowledged there’s still room for improvement from a pass-blocking standpoint.

“There were good competitive battles. I thought offense came in and really established the run game part of it,” Saleh said. “From a protection standpoint, there’s still a pocket that needs to be made for Zach.”

Creating consistent clean pockets is still a work in progress.

The defensive line made their pressure felt Tuesday as the protection around Wilson wasn’t good enough. He had moments when the pressure affected some throws and caused indecisiveness, but he saw those moments as a positive lesson. Quarterbacks can look like an All-Pro when there’s no duress, but the good ones can thrive in the midst of it.

“It’s huge for me. It is huge for our offensive line, because getting pressure on a quarterback can cause a lot of issues. And when you have a quarterback that’s efficient with the pass rush like that, then you can win a lot of football games,” Wilson said. “We’re benefiting on both sides of the ball with that, I would say for right now it’s awesome to be able to deal with guys in my face. You can’t replicate that kind of thing in 1-on-1 or 7-on-7 months. That’s real football.”

OBSERVATIONS ON WILSON
The No. 2 overall pick was OK on Tuesday. The pressure around him forced him into some check downs and inaccurate throws. Wilson finished 8-for-13, with three sacks and zero touchdowns or interceptions. The closing pocket made him uncomfortable here and there, which resulted in a few checkdowns.

There weren’t many explosive plays from Wilson.

The best play of the day was a deep post to Vyncint Smith for a 35-yard gain, but it was under-thrown. Smith was open down the field but had to wait on the ball to arrive as two defenders closed in on him. It could have been a touchdown, but it was still a good pickup.

Wilson had another throw to Jamison Crowder short over the middle that Crowder turned on the jets for a long gain.

Wilson could have had another one when he had Smith wide open down the sideline, but he saw it late and under-threw it which gave Bless Austin time to catch up and break the pass up.

SCARY SIGHT
Guard Cameron Clark suffered a neck injury towards the end of practice. The Jets were going to run another drill but ended practice and an ambulance took Clark to a local hospital. He was motionless for several minutes after falling to the ground during the last 11-on-11 period.

Saleh seemed emotionally shaken by that moment during the press conference but he was hopeful Clark would be OK.

“I’m an optimist. God willing everything is going to be just fine,” Saleh said.

The team did not have an immediate update to share.

If this guy is more positive than you about Wilson, you're doing it wrong.  

He's a rookie and doing great for being a rookie.  You've got to protect your QB better than this.  

On the plus side, I believe the DLine hype and that's huge.  

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I think they just wanna build with what they have and are fine taking the lumps that come with doing so. 

You'd build a lot more having a competent, if underwhelming, veteran QB than throwing to the young guys and behind the line than throwing out a tire fire to get you hammered each game. 

Gase did this and people hammer him for it (although at the time there were many similar comments) and now Saleh is doing it and people are like, "Genius!"

If Zach gets mono then we're gonna have to discuss White being an actual option to start games...again? 

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

You'd build a lot more having a competent, if underwhelming, veteran QB than throwing to the young guys and behind the line than throwing out a tire fire to get you hammered each game. 

Gase did this and people hammer him for it (although at the time there were many similar comments) and now Saleh is doing it and people are like, "Genius!"

If Zach gets mono then we're gonna have to discuss White being an actual option to start games...again? 

Gase did what?

13 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The Jets offensive line and weapons on offense and significantly better than what Darnold had in year 1. Regardless, starting a washed up vet doesn't help a rookie develop.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Do you though? We have no idea what he is yet. If he’s getting them hammered each game then he’s just bad and bad pick. Not because he didn’t sit behind Nick Foles for a while. 
If Zach gets mono, then oh well. You lose games because your starter is out. It happens. 

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

went into a season without a viable backup.. 

Not sure why. What back up QB was there to carry that horrible team? Teams don’t have backup QBs that can carry them the distance. Wentz goes down. Now what? Think they’re feeling good because they have Jacob Eason on deck?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Do you though? We have no idea what he is yet. If he’s getting them hammered each game then he’s just bad and bad pick. Not because he didn’t sit behind Nick Foles for a while. 
If Zach gets mono, then oh well. You lose games because your starter is out. It happens. 

Not sure why. What back up QB was there to carry that horrible team? Teams don’t have backup QBs that can carry them the distance. Wentz goes down. Now what? Think they’re feeling good because they have Jacob Eason on deck?

It was a completely wasted half of a season. This team is supposed to be developing. Getting your **** caved in because you have utterly incompetent QB isn't going to help the other players develop if Zach misses time. Why waste those games?

We're gonna wait another season and play the "Well, if Mims had an actual QB throwing to him..." game.. again.. if Wilson misses time?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

I know people don’t like this guy because he is supposedly a Dolphin fan, but he gives a decent account of what is happening on the field.  He does seem to understand the game enough to be able to describe what’s going,on.  

Yeah, I guess the rush of trying to do the tweets in real time makes him come off a little bit like a Dick. But that article is a pretty fair assessment. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This whole argument is so overblown.  White and Morgan are not Luke Falk.  And if the team really wants a veteran that badly, they can sign one in a few weeks.

It’s really not that big a deal. 

1.  White and Morgan are not Luke Falk and not in a good way. Remember, Douglas chose Falk over starting White. White's not any more of a viable option to start a game now then he was 2 years ago. 

2. I never said they had to go out and get one right now. Specifically, I said "going into the season". 

If you still think your argument makes sense than ok, we can disagree. I simply believe going into the season without a viable backup is an unforced error that is easily rectified at such a low cost that it doesn't make sense. 

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I think they just wanna build with what they have and are fine taking the lumps that come with doing so. 

Ok - Hope it works.  I don't get the obsession this team has always had with handing rookies (and then young QBs) the keys without having to earn it, and having no Plan B when that QB sucked.

The combined NFL starting experience of the Jets QB room is 0 games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

You keep saying "not ready to start week 1" without even context of what you mean and with nothing so far to suggest he wont. He underthrew a couple passes today. Which, by the way if you watched his press conference Zach said he needs to adjust for how fast they are.

Not ready how?

What we have heard and seen is command of the huddle, knowledge of the playbook, ability to go through reads (all from Saleh) teammates seen to already like and respect him. And even today he was OK. Often times in the face of adversity rookies have those 5 INT days. 

And it is his 3rd practice.

I mean, the coach is saying he is good.  That's something we've never experienced before.  Certainly not with Sanchez or Darnold.  Nope.  And, we've certainly never seen those reports contradict what we hear out of practices either.

Let's see what he's got.  He's got 40 days.  Apparently that's a very long time, so I suspect he'll have largely mastered the offense by the time we face the guy everyone wouldn't listen to me about until they did.  I don't know what'll happen then, or over this time.  But, nothing but homerism is all that inspiring yet.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It was a completely wasted half of a season. This team is supposed to be developing. Getting your **** caved in because you have utterly incompetent QB isn't going to help the other players develop if Zach misses time. Why waste those games?

We're gonna wait another season and play the "Well, if Mims had an actual QB throwing to him..." game.. again.. if Wilson misses time?

It was a wasted half because Gase is horrendous and the teams as a whole was garbage. They still sucked with Flacco in there last year. 
If your starting QB goes down, it’s more on the coaches to carry the team then the back up QB. 

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

1.  White and Morgan are not Luke Falk and not in a good way. Remember, Douglas chose Falk over starting White. White's not any more of a viable option to start a game now then he was 2 years ago. 

2. I never said they had to go out and get one right now. Specifically, I said "going into the season". 

If you still think your argument makes sense than ok, we can disagree. I simply believe going into the season without a viable backup is an unforced error that is easily rectified at such a low cost that it doesn't make sense. 

I agree we aren’t winning many games with white or Morgan, if any, but if Zach goes down the season is a waste anyway. The only thing that matters is Zach’a development. If he’s not playing I’d rather take our lumps and have a better draft pick. 

I'm usually of the opinion that, absent a complete disaster of a roster, a rookie QB is better off taking some lumps. Having zero viable alternative for our slight young man is kind of risky in this case. All for learning by doing but it would be nice to have someone besides Mike White if he misses a game or two or needs to take a step back. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Ok - Hope it works.  I don't get the obsession this team has always had with handing rookies (and then young QBs) the keys without having to earn it, and having no Plan B when that QB sucked.

Basically undefeated. “ Lets go!!!”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

It’s always been a bad idea. Hard to see it not biting us in the ass at some point

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I’m late here. Who’s saying Becton is struggling? Because Lawson is winning some battles? Those two have been going back and forth all camp. That would just be a stupid statement. 

some? lawson sounds like the second coming of lawrence taylor out there. he is destroying becton so far, and it doesnt even sound close......

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

some? lawson sounds like the second coming of lawrence taylor out there. he is destroying becton so far, and it doesnt even sound close......

The reports make it seem like Becton is getting beat on every rep.   That’s not the case, especially in the run game.  Sure Lawson is winning some reps, but I think it’s a bit overblown, Becton is winning reps as well.   

The smaller speed guys is what Becton had issues with last season, these reps against Lawson are extremely valuable.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The reports make it seem like Becton is getting beat on every rep.   That’s not the case, especially in the run game.  Sure Lawson is winning some reps, but I think it’s a bit overblown, Becton is winning reps as well.   

The smaller speed guys is what Becton had issues with last season, these reps against Lawson are extremely valuable.  

all reps arent created equally. giving up as many sacks as becton has been reported as giving up is a problem that we can't afford to have occuring in the games. so hopefully, as you said, becton figures it out

17 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

all reps arent created equally. giving up as many sacks as becton has been reported as giving up is a problem that we can't afford to have occuring in the games. so hopefully, as you said, becton figures it out

How do you know they are all on Becton?  He’s playing next to a rookie guard in AVT.  Like I said, Becton has been beat, but not every one of these sacks is on Becton.  Becton and AVT need to work more symbiotic with each other.  That will come with reps.  

I would be more worried if we weren’t hearing that Lawson was being disruptive at this point in camp.   They haven’t moved Zach around at all thus far, he’s in same spot in the pocket almost every play.  They also haven’t even attempted to get the ball downfield yet, we’re in the very early stages of install, defense should be winning the day right now.  

• Upvote 1