OT: New JN post rep emoji ideas

We’ve all been searching for a more appropriate one, from time to time, where none of the choices really captured our feelings about a post. 

There are, in effect, three different thumbs-up rep emojis. Before outright removing any, @Maxman or some other computer nerd behind the scenes would have to consolidate so past rep-replies don’t effectively get deleted.

My initial thoughts, but admittedly this is just one haploid’s opinion here:

• I think just two up-vote emojis are fine, and can eliminate one: 1 “regular” (green up-arrow or a thumbs-up) and 1 for particularly great posts like my own (the purple POTW one). 
  • The “sad” emoji is meh. If showing sympathy, I kind of think the heart conveys that better, so maybe that’d just be re-imaging sad with a heart and migrating heart rep into up-arrow.
  • The thumbs-down is fine. We need this for DWC and Kevin to use like it’s oxygen, but more importantly, to be used upon them. :D 
  • “Ha ha” also should stay as-is. 
  • “Confused” I think the same (that’s twice in one post I’m agreeing with @Integrity28, so everyone make a note of it). If a post is unclear we quote the person and ask for clarification rather than reply with an emoji. I think rather it’s that it was designed for a different sentiment but it doesn’t have enough bite to convey WTF. One that captures WTF would be better.

We could add to the number of choices, but I’d prefer to swap in/out.

I’m not making this a vote thread because there are no nominations yet; it’s an idea thread thus far. Just post ideas at this point.

What do you think should they be? Which to eliminate/swap out, plus post an emoji image and then text for what the new emoji means.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

My first nomination for a new/replacement one would be :bag: (or a more modern version of it). Swap out one of the three positive-rep as I already mentioned.

Bag-on-head is a rich part of Jets lore, and there are so many times it’s appropriate because this team (and many of us posting here) like to channel the franchise’s sorry history.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What do you think should they be?

Thumbs Up = Plus Rep (Standard +1 Rep)

Thumbs Down = Down Rep (Standard -1 Rep)

------

Trophy = POTW = +2 Rep, For Especially Great Posts Only

Bag on Head = Loser of the Week = -2 Rep, For Especially Embarrassing/Horrible/Trollish Posts

------

Heart = No Rep Given (Or +1 Rep if you like), Expression of Love/Like/Concern/Sympathy

Question Mark = Confused/WTF are You Talking About, Replaces Confused Face, No Rep Given, Expression of "What are you talking about"?  

6 is enough, this covers Good and Bad, Great and Horrible, Love and Confused/Clarify.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

can't go wrong with emoji poop.

smiling-poop-emoji.jpg

Personally I’m not a fan. I mean, it’s true we root for what’s predominantly been a turd of a team, but I know a lot of people find this emoji gross. It doesn’t have the objectively non vulgar appeal that my username has, for example. 

Just now, Warfish said:

------

Bag on Head = Loser of the Week = -2 Rep, For Especially Embarrassing/Horrible/Trollish Posts

------

Heart = No Rep Given, Expression of Love/Like/Concern

Question Mark = Confused/WTF are You Talking About, Replaces Confused Face, No Rep Given, Expression of "What are you talking about"?

6 is enough, this covers Good and Bad, Great and Horrible, Love and Confused/Clarify.

Agree with all this except I think we can do better (i.e. funnier) than a question mark. I consider that a pretty minor point on balance, though.

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We’ve all been searching for a more appropriate one, from time to time, where none of the choices really captured our feelings about a post. 

There are, in effect, three different thumbs-up rep emojis. Before outright removing any, @Maxman or some other computer nerd behind the scenes would have to consolidate so past rep-replies don’t effectively get deleted.

My initial thoughts, but admittedly this is just one haploid’s opinion here:

• I think just two up-vote emojis are fine, and can eliminate one: 1 “regular” (green up-arrow or a thumbs-up) and 1 for particularly great posts like my own (the purple POTW one). 
  • The “sad” emoji is meh. If showing sympathy, I kind of think the heart conveys that better, so maybe that’d just be re-imaging sad with a heart and migrating heart rep into up-arrow.
  • The thumbs-down is fine. We need this for DWC and Kevin to use like it’s oxygen, but more importantly, to be used upon them. :D 
  • “Ha ha” also should stay as-is. 
  • “Confused” I think the same (that’s twice in one post I’m agreeing with @Integrity28, so everyone make a note of it). If a post is unclear we quote the person and ask for clarification rather than reply with an emoji. I think rather it’s that it was designed for a different sentiment but it doesn’t have enough bite to convey WTF. One that captures WTF would be better.

We could add to the number of choices, but I’d prefer to swap in/out.

I’m not making this a vote thread because there are no nominations yet; it’s an idea thread thus far. Just post ideas at this point.

What do you think should they be? Which to eliminate/swap out, plus post an emoji image and then text for what the new emoji means.

A rolleyes Emoji would work along with the vomit I suggested in the other thread as part of the rep system

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Agree with all this except I think we can do better (i.e. funnier) than a question mark. I consider that a pretty minor point on balance, though.

Agreed.  

I think it'd also be cool (if possible) that the POTW and Loser of the Week reps actually provided a POTW Win and a LOTW Win published somehow (like we have Winners of Most Rep each day published).

It's be kinda cool to see a real POTW, the post that gets the most POTW Reps, highlighted.

Not sure it's possible, but it'd be really cool.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Agreed.  

I think it's also be cool (if possible) that the POTW and Loser of the Week reps actually provided a POTW Win and a LOTW Win published somehow (like we have Winners of Most Rep each day published).

It's be kinda cool to see a real POT, the post that gets the most POTW Reps, highlighted.

See now here is where I would puke

J/K 

ha

but really ...PUKE

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

------

------

Heart = No Rep Given (Or +1 Rep if you like), Expression of Love/Like/Concern/Sympathy

I'm with this. But instead of a question mark, maybe a small WTF in red block letters to very accurately portray what we're all thinking. Or maybe a facepalm emoji if the WTF is too aggressive.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I'm with this. But instead of a question mark, maybe a small WTF in red block letters to very accurately portray what we're all thinking. Or maybe a facepalm emoji if the WTF is too aggressive.

I do love me a good Facepalm.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A.) I don't like how you mentioned my name in this thread and used it within a negative form (without even @Sperm Edwards tagging me in it; as if I wouldn't see it). 

B.) I gave you a thumbs down because of it too. ?

And since I love myself some "STATS" i thought I'd leave you with this...

DWC's JN Statistics: 

1.) Reactions Given

• 876 POTWs ?

• 712 laughter's ?

• 491 blue hearts ?.

• 455 green Arrows ⬆️

• 391 thumbs down ?.

• 53 tears ?

• 46 rolling my eyes ?

(I don't know what laughter really means ala laughing at me ? or laughing with me ? so....)

• Positive reactions given = 1,822.

(Distributed evenly to everyone here on JN). 

• Negative reactions given = 490

(mostly to one specific poster who I'm not allowed to quote anymore). 

2.) Reactions Received =

• 3,042 green arrows ⬆️

• 1,000 thumbs down ?

• 876 POTW's ?

• 664 laughters ?

• 593 blue hearts ?

• 167 rolling their eyes ? 

• 61 tears ?

Positive Reactions Received = 4,511.

(From hundreds of different posters). 

Negative Reactions Received = 1,228

(All from only a handful of 5-7 posters who I consider DWC fans who negative rep my every thought). 

Sperm Edwards last won the day on February 25th of 2019 for the most liked content

vs. 

Defense Wins Championships last won the day on July 23rd of 2021 for the most liked content!

(step your game ⬆️ son).

I'm way more positive than what guys like you on JN give me credit for ?

PS: I remember back in 2007 (when I was 22 years old) you neg repped me into red status despite the fact that I worked hard for positive feedback back then; and I'm like an elephant with a brain that's never since forgotten...

? ?  ?

Barack_Obama_drops_the_mic.gif

• Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Second vote for the ?emoji (or the bag over head emoji) to replace the thumbs down emoji. Not a fan of the thumbs down. If anything, just got back to the down arrow.

Like and Upvote seem a bit repetitive.

? for cringe worthy post.

I agree about the sad emoji. A red heart might be better.

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Agreed.  

I think it'd also be cool (if possible) that the POTW and Loser of the Week reps actually provided a POTW Win and a LOTW Win published somehow (like we have Winners of Most Rep each day published).

It's be kinda cool to see a real POT, the post that gets the most POTW Reps, highlighted.

We used to have a weekly writeup (I often did it myself) but honestly it took too long. I don’t think we had post rep back then (before Facebook and like buttons existed) but now that it can be done on auto-pilot I think this is an excellent idea, too. It’s possible, and while I’m confident he’d like it as well, the boss obviously has more important family things to cater to presently. 

In the meantime I don’t know if it could be posted manually (I think we can see the week’s winner, by the most points, but not the biggest loser). Forum Stuff > Leaderboards > sort by week. But don’t know if posters also get a point per post or something; I can’t remember, but it seems likely since DWC is this past week’s bronze trophy winner lol. 

It’d be good if a new thread was auto-created each week with the winner & loser, and posters further comment within, rather than one that eventually gets to a zillion pages long. Can have the top one of each, or even the top 2 (or 3; gold/silver/bronze) winners/losers for each week.

Great idea!

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We used to have a weekly writeup (I often did it myself) but honestly it took too long. I don’t think we had post rep back then (before Facebook and like buttons existed) but now that it can be done on auto-pilot I think this is an excellent idea, too. It’s possible, and while I’m confident he’d like it as well, the boss obviously has more important family things to cater to presently. 

In the meantime I don’t know if it could be posted manually (I think we can see the week’s winner, by the most points, but not the biggest loser). Forum Stuff > Leaderboards > sort by week. But don’t know if posters also get a point per post or something; I can’t remember, but it seems likely since DWC is this past week’s bronze trophy winner lol. 

It’d be good if a new thread was auto-created each week with the winner & loser, and posters further comment within, rather than one that eventually gets to a zillion pages long. Can have the top one of each, or even the top 2 (or 3; gold/silver/bronze) winners/losers for each week.

Great idea!

I would definitely start taking odds on which poster wins biggest loser every week. 

• Haha 3