Trumaine Johnson

NYJ1

48 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Not sure if everyone was aware Trumaine Johnson still costs us 8 million in dead money? Meanwhile, all of our current corners combined are less than that amount. Thanks a lot Mike Macagnan you babbling, f*cking IDIOT!!

Yep. Enunwa is 3.6 and Bell is 6 mil I believe. 

It turns out Macc was bad.  really bad.  Jd doesn't get enough credit for the clean out aspect of the job he's done imo.  Mitigating the hits from losers who don't contribute while creaitng an entire draft worth of additional draft capital in the process. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This will be about Jamal on a seahawk fan forum 2 years from now.

As for mccagnan that was not even his worst signing.  I still rate the Enunwa deal being worse overall.

100%.   

SIgning a guy to injury guarantees WHILE on IR has to be the finest agent wrangling in NFL history. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yep. Enunwa is 3.6 and Bell is 6 mil I believe. 

It turns out Macc was bad.  really bad.  Jd doesn't get enough credit for the clean out aspect of the job he's done imo.  Mitigating the hits from losers who don't contribute while creaitng an entire draft worth of additional draft capital in the process. 

Just think about it Greenbean.... If we still had all that wasted money... 8+3.6+6= 17.6 million What other big name player might be a NYJ to help Zach with his development?

• Upvote 1

Dead Money

NameCap Number

Trumaine Johnson. $8,000,000

Sam Darnold.   $5,019,581

Le'Veon Bell.   $4,000,000

Quincy Enunwa.    $3,600,000

Kelechi Osemele.   $3,128,824

Henry Anderson.    $1,333,334

Bennett Jackson.    $100,000

TOTAL.    $24,473,819

55 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Just think about it Greenbean.... If we still had all that wasted money... 8+3.6+6= 17.6 million What other big name player might be a NYJ to help Zach with his development?

Every team carries dead money against their cap, its part of the game.

Nothing shocking here

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

100%.   

SIgning a guy to injury guarantees WHILE on IR has to be the finest agent wrangling in NFL history. 

"My client may be injury prone, has had 1/2 of one good year, is only  good if he plays physical and currently has a broken neck but we want injury guarantees!"

Mccagnan: "Where do I sign!?!?!"

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

i like that JD just decided to peel the bandaid off.  Take as much of the hit now and get it done. Rather than keeping scrubs around because they are getting paid.  Im pretty sure we're clean from all of that next year. So we will see what we use it on huh? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

As for mccagnan that was not even his worst signing.  I still rate the Enunwa deal being worse overall.

But man, those 10 plays Enunwa put up over 4 seasons really made us love him and got him PAID.  What a waste.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

that's enough to pay half of adam's guaranteed money.  i think one issue is that dead cap money is (or should) be a one year thing.  assuming douglas does his homework the jets should be paying out so much.  it would be interesting to know what the league average is.

12 hours ago, Larz said:

Dead Money

NameCap Number

TOTAL.    $24,473,819

Gonna be able to have another nice FA next year.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Agree. I think it partially explains the 1 and 2 year deals JD has been pushing for 

Yup.  Short prove-it contracts are key to clearing out dead money.  Or at least it stops creating more of it while the current stuff pays out...

20 hours ago, Origen said:

$8 million bucks burning a hole in your pocket?  Sunk money is sunk money, no point in making oneself more miserable as a Jets fan than you already need to be.

Given no one can undo what has been done, and the guy who did it was fired, I completely agree.

20 hours ago, Larz said:

Dead Money

NameCap Number

TOTAL.    $24,473,819

At least the last of the "dead money" on Mac's contract was paid out in 2020.

21 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Not sure if everyone was aware Trumaine Johnson still costs us 8 million in dead money? Meanwhile, all of our current corners combined are less than that amount. Thanks a lot Mike Macagnan you babbling, f*cking IDIOT!!

In fairness to Mac, he was better than our entire secondary when he was in his contract year.

21 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

If it makes you feel any better, that $8MM (and more) was carried over from before - unused the prior season(s) - in the form of a higher cap ceiling this year. It was arranged that way in case we wanted to have more room to sign someone else back then, but didn't. So it seems like a cap penalty after the fact, but in reality it isn't. It's an $8MM penalty now as a sort of late bill for having using that $8MM benefit in the past, which itself came with a higher cap ceiling now. The net is zero.

The mistake was signing him to such a huge contract in the first place (or really, signing him at all); his dead cap figure is neither here nor there, though.

No argument from me with regard to your last sentence whatsoever.

21 hours ago, Larz said:

Dead Money

NameCap Number

TOTAL.    $24,473,819

And uncoincidentally, the Jets rolled over ~$26MM in 2020's cap space to 2021. If those players' payouts hit when they were paid, there'd be no dead cap for them, but then there'd be no rollover either.

The crime was in signing/drafting these players in the first place, not the dead cap figures after the team took advantage of artificially lowering their cap hits in the past.