Bless Released

HawkeyeJet

This isnt year 1 for Joe Douglas. This will be the 3rd season in a row he will be the GM starting the season.

Idzik was the Jets GM from January 2013 to December 2014.
Joe was hired in June 2019.
Joe Douglas has been the GM longer than Idzik was. At what point does he stop getting a pass for everything and criticism is allowed of him?
To be fair joe Douglas didn't get to draft his first year and had only a short off season this is almost like year two for him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

12 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

This isnt year 1 for Joe Douglas. This will be the 3rd season in a row he will be the GM starting the season.

Joe Douglas has been the GM longer than Idzik was. At what point does he stop getting a pass for everything and criticism is allowed of him?

DEA2880D-CAA3-47A7-B279-24819723ABD0.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

you should be.

In the short-term (most of 2021), yes, its a concern.  Especially since we lost Lawson and may struggle to get the pass rush this system requires.  But as these guys mature, we see what we have, and add more DBs next offseason, no, it won't be a big concern.  

7 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Every new GM we’ve had the past 20 years since Bradway was supposed to be the next big thing 

None of them showed signs of competence early on like Douglas has.  And none were as well-respected around the league as Douglas when they were hired, either. 

And most importantly, none of them were able to successfully keep the Johnson's out of roster decision-making.  They were all yes men whereas Douglas has demanded full control and been given it.  That's big.  

7 hours ago, Albaniajet said:

Remember when Mac was the obvious upgrade over Idzik?

Fun times

Mike Maccagnan was about to get fired by the Texans when the Jets hired him.  Yes, the same Texans who are now the NFL's biggest dumpster fire.

Joe Douglas won Super Bowls with multiple organizations, was a long-time scout under the great Ozzie Newsome, and the Eagles were sad to see him go when he was hired here.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JazzyJet said:

Hubris could be this man's downfall. He has gone against almost every single standard convention as if he's above it all. Here's to hoping he's really a genius and/or the rules don't apply to him.

What "rules" or "conventions" dictate that he needed to keep Blessuan Austin?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mike Maccagnan was about to get fired by the Texans when the Jets hired him.  Yes, the same Texans who are now the NFL's biggest dumpster fire.

Joe Douglas won Super Bowls with multiple organizations, was a long-time scout under the great Ozzie Newsome, and the Eagles were sad to see him go when he was hired here.

35008B7E-9863-464F-8CDB-CF1741CADB8B.jpeg

7 hours ago, Ken Schroy said:

Well Mac WAS an upgrade over Idzik. So what does that tell you about those two?

No, he absolutely was not.  Idzik's 2013 draft is far better than any draft Maccagnan had in his 5-year tenure.  And Macc's free agent signings and contract extensions were somehow even worse than his drafting.  Idzik sucked, but Maccagnan was the worst GM in NFL history and its not close.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, maury77 said:

Rex Ryan (yeah I know) said that the quickest way to lose a game in the NFL is due to your QB or your CBs and the Jets have no veteran presence at either position. Good times. 

Rex Ryan also ran mostly a pure M2M scheme that relied on corners playing on an island while generating a pass rush with heavy blitzing.

Saleh's scheme is the exact opposite.  Cover 3 with the onus on the 4 men up front generating the pass rush to protect the corners.  

And for Rex to say that about the QB position really doesn't mean anything to me.  He had an opportunity to move on from Sanchez and he signed off on an extension instead in 2012 (like, say, Russell Wilson).  He should have been banging the table for a new QB.  This regime moved on from Darnold and went and got Wilson, who already looks like he might be a good bit better than Darnold from day 1 (not a high bar to clear, but still).  That's progress.  

31 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

2nd draft... 2nd FA period ... 3rd year.... Big distinction between a real 3 years and a red shirt Sophomore

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rex Ryan also ran mostly a pure M2M scheme that relied on corners playing on an island while generating a pass rush with heavy blitzing.

Saleh's scheme is the exact opposite.  Cover 3 with the onus on the 4 men up front generating the pass rush to protect the corners.  

And for Rex to say that about the QB position really doesn't mean anything to me.  He had an opportunity to move on from Sanchez and he signed off on an extension instead in 2012 (like, say, Russell Wilson).  He should have been banging the table for a new QB.  This regime moved on from Darnold and went and got Wilson, who already looks like he might be a good bit better than Darnold from day 1 (not a high bar to clear, but still).  That's progress.  

Rex and Bradway both wanted Wilson before the 2012 draft

We ended up with Woody’s hero Tim Tebow and Stephen Hill instead

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope!

Matt Millen drafted Calvin Johnson, Dominic Raiola, Jeff Backus, Shaun Rogers, Corey Redding, Cliff Avril and Gosder Cherilus in his tenure.

Mike Maccagnan drafted.....erm.....Quinnen Williams.  Yay.  

I know this isn’t fair, but ESPN drafted him for us. I’m convinced that after sucking so bad for so many drafts he gave up and followed the ESPN big board. 

• Upvote 1

There seems to be some Jeff Fisher syndrome happening with this fan base and Joe Douglas.

As long as you look the part and say the right things it doesnt matter what the results you keep giving are.

The fan base wanted Idziks head on a pike in his first season here. Idzik teams went 8-8 and 4-12. A 12-20 record.

After 2 seasons Joe Douglas record as a GM is 9-23. And staring down the barrel of another likely 2-5 win season.

The only thing either accomplished is tearing down the previous GMs team. But anybody can do that.

We are going to have people here saying next season is year 1 of the rebuild. Guaranteed.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Wit said:

I know this isn’t fair, but ESPN drafted him for us. I’m convinced that after sucking so bad for so many drafts he gave up and followed the ESPN big board. 

If Macc had followed the ESPN board with all of his picks rather than doing what he did, it would have been a significant improvement.  

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Idzikwas the Jets GM from January 2013 to December 2014.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

I’ve been saying this too. 

He seems to get good compensation in trades but other than that, i’m not impressed much with JD.

His 2020 draft downright sucks outside of Becton, and even he is a question mark of sorts with some of the comments the coaches made about him during training camp.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

18 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

The fan base wanted Idziks head on a pike in his first season here. Idzik teams went 8-8 and 4-12. A 12-20 record.

After 2 seasons Joe Douglas record as a GM is 9-23. And staring down the barrel of another likely 2-5 win season.

JD trying to build on the Idzik / MacDaddy draft/FA contract foundation laid by the Bastids

B5DBA31B-69D9-42DF-BC95-752EE797801F.gif.fa3552eee5da88821215b419f10149dd.gif

26 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

There seems to be some Jeff Fisher syndrome happening with this fan base and Joe Douglas.

As long as you look the part and say the right things it doesnt matter what the results you keep giving are.

The only thing either accomplished is tearing down the previous GMs team. But anybody can do that.

We are going to have people here saying next season is year 1 of the rebuild. Guaranteed.

Jd gets a pass because he didnt draft year 1 and was forced gase year 2. This is where jd starts and i like it. Young. Cap responsible. No overpayed over the hill mega contracts for former stars

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Couldn't disagree more.  Idzik's first year he was wildly praised for getting a first for Revis and his draft.  Six starters!  Never mind that  they included a FB, Geno and Dee Milliner who basically never played again.  We didn't turn on him until he completely sh*t the bed with 12 picks and then tank free agency in what had to be forcing Rex out.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, heymangold said:

something had to have happened internally for them to cut bless.  the answers JD and Saleh have given as to why he was cut don't add up to me.  they want to go with the guys they drafted?  they want to go with youth? it doesn't make sense.

Yup, the "youth movement" stuff doesn't really stand up when you are cutting a guy who just turned 25 (Austin) to replace him with a guy who is about to turn 24 (Echols).

They will have their reasons, but I'm not really buying the "youth movement" justification.

10 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Criticize all you want. If Zach is a stud he's a hero with great draft acumen. If Brady (excuse me), Zach is a bust, you don't even know his name.

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

something had to have happened internally for them to cut bless.  the answers JD and Saleh have given as to why he was cut don't add up to me.  they want to go with the guys they drafted?  they want to go with youth? it doesn't make sense.

Why did something have to of happened internally?   We’re talking about Bless Austin…Lol.   What exactly doesn’t  make sense?  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Why did something have to of happened internally?   We’re talking about Bless Austin…Lol.   What exactly doesn’t  make sense?  

I think they new players were closing the gap on Austin quickly and I suspect that their was a chemistry issue in the room. Austin has proven to be an arrogant loudmouth (unjustifiably so) and I think this was an addition by subtraction move. Austin is just not the "type" of player the JD and Saleh are looking for to fill their roster.