Bless Released

HawkeyeJet

9 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Not to hate on Bless but in 18 games played he has as many INTS as Echols, Dunn, Pinnock, Michael Carter 2, and those guys have 0 games played. He isn't very good, I have zero issues with Douglas moving on and giving younger guys a shot. 

This is Saleh's call not Douglas

• WTF? 1

18 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Yet that's exactly what the pre season is for? Evaluation. So not sure where you're going there. 

If all it is, is vanilla schemes in the preseason, and he looked terrible, god help us when it's a complex scheme. 

Again feel free to base your opinion solely off his PS game film, I'll put a little more credence into the coaching staffs evaluations. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Claymation said:

Pierre Desir

The Jets outside CBs were the worst in football last year and people are up in arms about cutting Bless. 

Whenever a jet draft pick doesn’t suck there’s a fear that he will blossom on another team and make the jets look stupid.  Truth is that most guys the jets cut cant even cut it on the worst team and don’t make an impact elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

So we agree. Idzik was a better GM as low as that bar may be.

I can't bring myself to say better.  (although it is true I guess)

Idzik was far less bad than Macc.    Macc was the worst JETS GM I can think of.   I've seen other GMs blow draft picks and hurt the team, but no one signed so many bad contracts and saddled the team with tens of millions of dead cap hits.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

Well Mac WAS an upgrade over Idzik. So what does that tell you about those two?

No he wasn't.. At all. Idzik philosophy for team building was good.. He just had zero eye for talent.. Idzik didn't leave us with any blatantly horrible contracts, Maccagnan had a slightly better eye for talent and got kicked around in negotiations and trades. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I see this same post every time we get a new GM and he cuts the last GMs players.

But it always leaves out that the current GM holds onto to his own trash for too long.

This is nothing more than a current GM wanting his own players. Verdicts still out if his players are better and part of the solution. But his players will be given way more leniency. 

If a new GM started next year he would cut half of Joe's players right away.

Douglas just cut a 4th Round QB he drafted 2 years ago.  He could easily have kept him on the roster if he was interested in saving face.  

Austin could have started all year and been about the same player he has always been and no one would have batted an eye that he was a starter, let alone on the roster.  This isn’t just getting “your own guys”.  It’s identifying that Austin likely is a non commodity and at best an average one and that’s all he ever will be.  Might as well not let that resume block your ability to learn about someone else you think might have a higher ceiling then just average.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Or would we be better losing 24-9 constantly with Z-dub on his back because he has no oline talent in front of him and jags to throw to?

all we got in the draft to protect Wilson was AVT. ok i give you that one.

did we really need to draft Moore and Carter over CB? Davis, Cole and Crowder are not jags to throw to. we dont even know what Moore is cause he cant get on the field. but WR was not or worst position at the draft.it was CB.

same with Carter. did we really need him over a CB with Coleman, Johnson, Perine and Adams? 

on draft day and even today there is no worst position on the Jets than CB. i even think the TEs are better.

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

did we really need to draft Moore and Carter over CB? Davis, Cole and Crowder are not jags to throw to. we dont even know what Moore is cause he cant get on the field. but WR was not or worst position at the draft.it was CB.

same with Carter. did we really need him over a CB with Coleman, Johnson, Perine and Adams? 

on draft day and even today there is no worst position on the Jets than CB. i even think the TEs are better.

Moore is a dynamic play maker who can take a 5 yard out or slant to the house. Crowder is on his last year. Davis, Cole, and Mims are different types of WRs than Moore. I've stated previously, and just recently, that I'd be happy if they traded Crowder for a D contributor.

Carter is a playmaker, run and pass, that they did not have on the roster. He's a guy that not only helps you score, but also move the chains. I don't think you'll see anywhere near as many "3 and outs" that we've become accustomed to over the past few years. 3 and outs are horrific for the D who needs a chance to rest.

I'd say the CBs are better than the TEs (low bar) because at least there is some young talent/potential at CB. TE is just a sh*t show right now.  

Of course a good D can help a QB develop by keeping a score low and getting him more chances with the ball, but not as much as being on a functional offense. All the opportunity in the world means nothing if the offense is dysfunctional. Which they have been, and not just due to poor coaching/scheme, the Jets ignored the offense in the draft for a long time.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

No he wasn't.. At all. Idzik philosophy for team building was good.. He just had zero eye for talent.. Idzik didn't leave us with any blatantly horrible contracts, Maccagnan had a slightly better eye for talent and got kicked around in negotiations and trades. 

was that philosophy to not spend money on FA to help a 8-8 team improve? how much money did he not spend? i remember it was a big amount. 

5 minutes ago, doitny said:

You can make the argument that both Moore and Carter are the best players at their respective position. The Jets drafted 5 DB, what else did you want then to do?

• Upvote 2

Bless Austin

In a surprise move today, the NY Jets released Bless Austin. The 3rd year cornerback was expected to start opposite Bryce Hall after playing in 18 games his first two seasons.  Head coach Robert Saleh talked about the move to release Bless.

You know, very appreciative towards Bless. He’s a good young man, with the youth that we have at corner and with the competition that they’ve all been able to provide and the growth that they’ve all been able to have since OTAs and training camp, we’re going to give those guys a run and give them an opportunity to compete over those the last week and a half and roll with those guys.

Coach Saleh was asked who would start in place of Bless, and was asked specifically about Brandin Echols and Isaiah Dunn.

Yeah, you can talk about all four of them in terms of Brandin Echols, you’ve got (Jason) Pinnock obviously, Dunn, and (Javelin) Guidry.

Why was Austin cut?

That one I’ll leave for Joe (Douglas) with regards to his 5:00 meeting, I know he’ll be able to talk about the roster and all that stuff, but it’s a numbers game.

Are you concerned, at all, about the inexperience there?

It is a young group, it’s the same thought throughout the roster. We’re probably going to have eight rookies starting or be major, major contributors on this team, nine if you include the kicker. So, challenge accepted in terms of this coaching staff is excited to get their hands on them and you’re going to see a tremendous growth as the year goes on.

DJ Bien-Aime, New York Daily News: The Packers week, I remember Bless (Austin) missed the game because of personal reasons. Did that have any factor into him being released now?

No, if you look at the initial roster, it had eight corners. Normally you don’t keep eight corners, which meant there was deficiencies elsewhere. When we were looking at it, those young guys, they have such tremendous value and there’s so much growth that they can all experience. They all have potential to be high-end starters in this league. It was, like I said, it all comes back to being a numbers game.

Marcus Maye sent out the tweet below, seemingly in response to the move. You can visit our forums to read more about Bless Austin being cut.

??‍♂️

— Marcus Maye (@alldayMAYE) September 1, 2021

The post Bless Austin Released appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/nFXMY5xkpqE

Click here to read the full story...

55 minutes ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Did Saleh have a say? Obviously, Joe has final call on roster moves tho. 

So what you're saying is if Saleh liked Austin as a player Douglas would have cut him ? Since you gave me the "confused' rep

Its Saleh's choice and Douglas makes the move based on his coaches feedback. 

43 minutes ago, doitny said:

was that philosophy to not spend money on FA to help a 8-8 team improve? how much money did he not spend? i remember it was a big amount. 

Why would he of? LOL, 2011 was easily one of the worst offseasons in Jets history. The roster got gutted ao they could break the bank for Nnamdi Asomugha. Even tho they already had 3 starting corners. Rex and Tannenbaum ruined what made them successful in 09-10 the run was over. It was time to rebuild. Idzik and Douglas literally have the same philosophy of building through the draft. Idzik didn't have a background in scouting, Douglas does that's the difference. 

10 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So what you're saying is if Saleh liked Austin as a player Douglas would have cut him ? Since you gave me the "confused' rep

Its Saleh's choice and Douglas makes the move based on his coaches feedback. 

Yes?? Lol there was a "rumor" that the staff was split on what to do with Darnold, Who ultimately had the final say? Apparently they tried to trade Austin before releasing him who's having those discussions? Its Saleh apparently.