Jets Falcons Preview Thread

Ok, we head across the pond to face the Atlanta Falcons who are 1-3 coming off a loss to the WFT. Their one win comes against the NY Giants. 

It should be noted the Falcons lost their punter and their nickel corner Issiah Oliver to injuries on Sunday. Rookie Avery Williams will slide into to replace Oliver. 

Initial Thoughts?

Atlanta running game has been anemic but they still have this guy named Matt Ryan. How do we feel about this matchup? 

Will our offense continue to roll? 

Lets get the W. Discuss Jets Falcons. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Ok, we head across the pond to face the Atlanta Falcons who are 1-3 coming off a loss to the WFT. Their one win comes against the NY Giants. 

It should be noted the Falcons lost their punter and their nickel corner Issiah Oliver to injuries on Sunday. Rookie Avery Williams will slide into to replace Oliver. 

Initial Thoughts?

Atlanta running game has been anemic but they still have this guy named Matt Ryan. How do we feel about this matchup? 

Will our offense continue to roll? 

Lets get the W. Discuss Jets Falcons. 

i'm expecting a W.  i think Saleh knows how to handle the trip - went a couple times with jacksonville.  i think that gives us an advantage.

i think our d-line will continue to dominate. only guy i'm worried about is Patterson - is he coming out of the backfield?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, heymangold said:

i'm expecting a W.  i think Saleh knows how to handle the trip - went a couple times with jacksonville.  i think that gives us an advantage.

i think our d-line will continue to dominate. only guy i'm worried about is Patterson - is he coming out of the backfield?

Flash can do alot. They use him in a variety of roles. They need to plan for it

• Upvote 1

Hopefully our offense is only going to build off of the Titans game and get better. If it does, and we score some point, we got a great shot.

Our defensive line should be able to get to Matt Ryan and make it a long day for him. They have a lot of talent at receiver though and we have to game plan for Cordarrelle Patterson, who they are using really well as a hybrid RB/WR. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Hopefully our offense is only going to build off of the Titans game and get better. If it does, and we score some point, we got a great shot.

Our defensive line should be able to get to Matt Ryan and make it a long day for him. They have a lot of talent at receiver though and we have to game plan for Cordarrelle Patterson, who they are using really well as a hybrid RB/WR. 

Matt Ryan looked good Sunday. Look out for his deep ball. They cant run at all so game will be Mattys shoulders against our young secondary. 

• Upvote 1

I'm optimistic this week, but I think Atlanta's a better football team. Our offense is still bad. 16 late points in week 1, barely any against NE and Denver, and 27 against TEN. We still looked poor in the first half last week against a weak defense. Wilson heroics saved us, but we were not lights out in the second half. I'd say Tennessee and Atlanta have comparable defenses. I'm not too worried about our defense, but mismatches with Pitts and Patterson could lead to several big plays. I'm expecting a game similar to the Giants-Falcons game. Lower scoring and close, unless Wilson decides he wants to single handedly score our points.

As long as we can bring pressure against Ryan, we should be fine on defense.  Aside from Ridley, they don't have much at the WR position, but Pitts, Hurst and Patterson out of the backfield could exploit our LBs.

Defensively, they are last in the league in points allowed (32 per game) and 23rd in total defense.  I really think the offense will be more about us than anything they do.  If we play poorly (like weeks 2 & 3) we are not going to score much no matter who is on the other side of the ball.  Play well and we should be able to put up some points.

Not going to predict a W, because they are the Jets and I have been a fan too long, but this is definitely one they have a real good chance to win.  2 game winning streak heading in to the bye would be nice.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Need this one badly. I know Wins aren’t the main focus this year for a lot of people, but the schedule isn’t kind on us after the bye. I don’t like looking ahead too far but I could see us at 2-7 before we get another favorable match up.

Agree a Win is HUGE here but the schedule after the bye is ok. I mean the Pats? 1-3 struggling as well. We are due to beat them eventually. Bengals? Ehh yes they are 3-1 but they still  haven't arrived, we are also home that game. Then Colts? I mean we still arent where we need to be but none of those 3 teams are either. 

• Upvote 2

I'm not getting optimistic again. Even if we win it will just give us momentum heading to New England and I've seen that movie before. I'm not worried about the record, just keep showing progress. 

I do expect Zach to play well, especially coming off the Titans game. He can make the odd mistake but I'd be concerned if he struggles. Hopefully Elijah Moore is back and gets involved - He needs to start showing why he was so hyped up in camp.  

Ryan isn't finished - Torched an admittedly terrible WFT secondary last week. If he has time he can pick us apart. Our pass rush wont be as good again but hopefully it can still force enough pressure and mistakes. 

Very tough game to call. London games are always a little weird and there's nothing that would really surprise me. Just keep up the improvement we seen last week and I'll be happy.

• Upvote 3

Falcons have a slightly more talented Football team than the Jets.   They have a very good OL in pass protection but not exactly bull dozing the running game.  Mike Davis is a plodder who sucks, so all you really have to worry about is Patterson out of the backfield.  Calvin Ridley vs. Hall will be a fun match up to watch.  Mosley/Williams on Pitts will be fun to watch. That said, Saleh's system I believe, is well suited to contain Atlanta's offense.  They have a decent front 7, Garrett and Fowler can game wreckers in the passing game but dont offer a ton vs. the run.  They're surrendering the most points in the league per game, their secondary is questionable and they dont create turnovers.  That I think the Jets can get the run game going this week, keep Zach in 3 stop drops with a quick passing game and the Jets can control the clock, keep Ryan on the sideline and ....

Ladies and gentleman, 

The New York Jets will back to back Football games.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, Pichula said:

Atlanta ran our defensive scheme for years with Quinn so I expect Ryan to know how to pick it apart 

Similar.....Saleh added his own tweaks to that Seattle Cover 3 in his time in SF...He's been blitzing a ton this year as well so we'll show Ryan a few different looks 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

I'm not getting optimistic again. Even if we win it will just give us momentum heading to New England and I've seen that movie before. I'm not worried about the record, just keep showing progress. 

I do expect Zach to play well, especially coming off the Titans game. He can make the odd mistake but I'd be concerned if he struggles. Hopefully Elijah Moore is back and gets involved - He needs to start showing why he was so hyped up in camp.  

Ryan isn't finished - Torched an admittedly terrible WFT secondary last week. If he has time he can pick us apart. Our pass rush wont be as good again but hopefully it can still force enough pressure and mistakes. 

Very tough game to call. London games are always a little weird and there's nothing that would really surprise me. Just keep up the improvement we seen last week and I'll be happy.

He isn't, but he *is* a pocket statue, and he's basically been a league-average QB this year (below average YPA stats, slightly above average %, etc,). Against that WFT secondary, he put up under 60% completions. This defense should be able to do some work against him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Agree a Win is HUGE here but the schedule after the bye is ok. I mean the Pats? 1-3 struggling as well. We are due to beat them eventually. Bengals? Ehh yes they are 3-1 but they still  haven't arrived, we are also home that game. Then Colts? I mean we still arent where we need to be but none of those 3 teams are either. 

If this team can figure out how to score at an average rate, yes, a few of those games are winnable. Let’s see where the Patriots game takes us. That’s the biggie that could give us momentum for the rest of the season. We win that one IN foxborough & we’re 3-3 (assuming we’ve already gone into the bye at 2-3) and we have some toss ups in that 3 game stretch that could keep us around .500

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If this team can figure out how to score at an average rate, yes, a few of those games are winnable. Let’s see where the Patriots game takes us. That’s the biggie that could give us momentum for the rest of the season. We win that one IN foxborough & we’re 3-3 (assuming we’ve already gone into the bye at 2-3) and we have some toss ups in that 3 game stretch that could keep us around .500

Yea let’s not put the cart before the horse. We need to beat Atlanta first lol

I just want to see Zach continue to improve. Of course the whole team for that matter. This is a winnable game.  We need to show up, cant regress here.  Our schedule is pretty tough. Not concerned with W/L record as it will be tough to win to many games. But I want to see competetive football from these guys NOT what we saw in those first 3 games. That was brutal.  Growing pains yea ok, New CS yea ok. We are now into week 4, coming off a big win.  This game should be tight but it really picks up where we left off with Tennesse. Play hard, resiliency and dont give up.  Progress Progress Progress.   

If you think about it, where are the falcons better then us:

QB - maybe falcons but ryan is old and immobile

RBs - both teams cant run the ball so thats a wash

WR - Jets by far.  Outside of Ridley, the falcons have nothing at the receiver position

Oline - Jets

Dline - Jets

Linebackers - Jets

Secondary - Jets

Coaching - Jets

We are going to win this game as we are the better team!

no game is going to be easy for the jets but this one should be the easiest they will have so far.  not that atlanta is a bad team but they are in transition with a new coach and an aging qb.  matty ice is still very good but i don't get the feeling he ever willed his teams to win.  so we'll see what happens.