Jets Acquire laurent Duvernay Tardif (Guard) from KC

Lith

26 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

That's a bit of stretch to celebrate another team's backup who hasn't played in 2 years before we know whether he'll ever even play a snap here.  Certainly nothing to hate on, but the advance kudos is also unwarranted.

Douglas also didn't get anything of value at all for Willis, considering he sent along a high 7th with him, while getting what is very likely to be a lower 6th a year later in return.  The picks alone net out (at best) before even factoring Willis in.

I think he played this past weekend... not sure how he did.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Man, some folks only hear/read what they want to read/hear.  Or have the reading comprehension of acorn squash (full price, not an older sale vegetable).

My comment was questioning the "tweeter" who characterized JD as "aggressive".  That's fu*king laughable.  He's done nothing all season and now pulls off an okay trade.   That's fine.  But let's not call his limited actions during the trading period as "aggressive".  Capito?

I mean, I am pretty sure my educational background has me reading at THE VERY LEAST, a rutabaga, but who knows.  It truly is hard to tell sometimes which comments offer credible criticism and those offering nothing but blatant homerism.

Apologies if you were the later and not the former. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

LDT was a 6th rounder.  He’s Canadian 

He missed most of training camp after breaking his hand

Oh this was more about all the 6th round gems we glaringly missed and the GM's who would have obviously made a different choice.

Sarcasm just doesn't come through in the written language.  Shame, really.

3 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

I mean, I am pretty sure my educational background has me reading at THE VERY LEAST, a rutabaga, but who knows.  It truly is hard to tell sometimes which comments offer credible criticism and those offering nothing but blatant homerism.

Apologies if you were the later and not the former. 

No worries, man.   And I'm working my way up to celery root level. 

I realize this should be a foregone conclusion, but this is an indication that the front office is likely to address the offensive line this offseason which is nice. I assume more in the draft than FA but something is better than nothing.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. since he’s a UFA after the season, if someone else signs him after the season the Jets will now be in line for a comp pick

This may just be Douglas indirectly buying back the pick he traded away for Flacco. 

So you think that the jets  will lose more FAs that get signed then they sign? Without trading crowder, maye, cole etc it might happen, but I’m still skeptical since we’ll have like 100 mil in space 

46 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

So you think that the jets  will lose more FAs that get signed then they sign? Without trading crowder, maye, cole etc it might happen, but I’m still skeptical since we’ll have like 100 mil in space 

I'm curious to see how this plays out too. Over The Cap has us at $54m for this offseason but I don't think we really know what the cap limit will be yet.

If that's the case then we will have about $44m in cap to spend before cuts. (Subtracting the draft class)

Joe Douglas could target players who are cut from other teams as they don't factor into the equation against us. I'm not sure how "voided contracts" are calculated, like say a Zach Ertz signing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

I was going to make a Da Vinci code (or similar) comment, not sure anyone would get it as it has been a while since that book came out....

Just gotta put ‘em out there man.

p.s. Peacock has a great series out right now called the Lost Symbol. Worth a gander if you’re a Dan Brown fan. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm curious to see how this plays out too. Over The Cap has us at $54m for this offseason but I don't think we really know what the cap limit will be yet.

If that's the case then we will have about $44m in cap to spend before cuts. (Subtracting the draft class)

Joe Douglas could target players who are cut from other teams as they don't factor into the equation against us. I'm not sure how "voided contracts" are calculated, like say a Zach Ertz signing.

He can definitely do that. While in Baltimore ozzie was all about comp picks. He probably learned the best way to maximize them. I just don’t know if the pool of good/decent players will be high that we’re cut 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Well they’re not trading any of them since the deadline’s passed. 

But in terms of signing more than they lose? Depends upon the types of FAs they sign, but it’s really unlikely . They’ve got a LOT of expiring contracts from players who’ll get qualifying offers from elsewhere. More than the team is likely to sign, anyway, because they’ve got 2 drafts worth of picks coming up and most of them are days 1 & 2. 

As of now:

1. Maye
  2. Davis
  3. Crowder
  4. Cole
  5. Moses
  6. Lewis (whatever happens with him)
  7. Duvernay-Tardiff
  8. Feeney
  9. Flacco
  10. Joyner
  11. Fatusaki
  12. Berrios
  13. Kroft
  14. Shepherd

A couple of them might not get qualifying offers, but they’re not signing & re-signing 12+ qualifying, expired-contract UFAs. Not when Douglas has got 9 draft picks coming up a month later, which he’s been hoarding waiting to use, and also which themselves are before any trade-downs he’s likely to do as well. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well they’re not trading any of them since the deadline’s passed. 

But in terms of signing more than they lose? Depends upon the types of FAs they sign, but it’s really unlikely . They’ve got a LOT of expiring contracts from players who’ll get qualifying offers from elsewhere. More than the team is likely to sign, anyway, because they’ve got 2 drafts worth of picks coming up and most of them are days 1 & 2. 

As of now:

1. Maye
  2. Davis
  3. Crowder
  4. Cole
  5. Moses
  6. Lewis (whatever happens with him)
  7. Duvernay-Tardiff
  8. Feeney
  9. Flacco
  10. Joyner
  11. Fatusaki
  12. Berrios
  13. Kroft
  14. Shepherd

A couple of them might not get qualifying offers, but they’re not signing & re-signing 12+ qualifying, expired-contract UFAs. Not when Douglas has got 9 draft picks coming up a month later, which he’s been hoarding waiting to use, and also which themselves are before any trade-downs he’s likely to do as well. 

There’s definitely a lot of guys leaving who might get signed by other teams. Assuming around 3 of those players re sign with the team 10 is still a large amount (not counting Lewis). I feel like next off season is when comp picks will start coming into play for joe d.   It makes too much sense that we don’t draft 11 players this year. He’s bound to either trade up back into the first or second or swap them for a 2023 pick or player. Currently there are just too many picks and some of them won’t get to see the field. Great response by the way man 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

There’s definitely a lot of guys leaving who might get signed by other teams. Assuming around 3 of those players re sign with the team 10 is still a large amount (not counting Lewis). I feel like next off season is when comp picks will start coming into play for joe d.   It makes too much sense that we don’t draft 11 players this year. He’s bound to either trade up back into the first or second or swap them for a 2023 pick or player. Currently there are just too many picks and some of them won’t get to see the field. Great response by the way man 

Thanks, and I’ve also been expecting him to parlay one of these picks into a pick a round higher next year. Like our higher 2nd rounder for another future 1st a year later and/or trading down from way up top with a team who wants to move up for a QB. 

It may be better to double up in round 1 next year than have so many rookies - with picks at slots where one expects instant, day-one starters - playing all at once again. 

4 hours ago, varjet said:

I would like to keep Moses and Foley from that list. Plus LDT if he can play still. 

It’ll be Moses or Fant but - barring another Becton injury/setback - not both again. If I had to guess now I think they’d keep Fant because of his versatility to play both tackle spots, with Becton not being a pillar of reliability thus far.

Moses came at a heavy discount because of the late timing of his release - after the draft & FA, but before anyone’s starters got injured - so he won’t be had for such a low base salary again; let alone with so relatively little in incentives. For all the FA misfires Douglas has had, signing Moses - which was arguably redundant at the time, and hardly free, while still keeping Fant - proved one of his best moves (made that much better when Becton went down so early).  

Fant isn’t as apt of a RT, and despite his size (he’s a massive human to almost anyone not named Becton) isn’t much of a run blocker and really never has been. But the ability to move him to LT in a pinch without getting his QB killed - quite the opposite - makes him more versatile than almost all veteran RTs available, including Moses. On the other hand the team pays a bunch for that, as he’s one of the pricier RTs (while not in the upper $17-19MM/yr level, he’s still 1 of just 10 other RTs with $10MM+ cap numbers) and that’s kind of a lot for a RT who’s so one-dimensional. As a veteran at LT rather than RT, his $ becomes more of a value. 

Fant has thus far been mostly reliable health-wise, but Moses has been an absolute model of health on D’Brick Ferguson levels. Moses sustained a surgery-requiring lisfranc injury in practice as a rookie back in 2014 and went on IR for those last 3 games. Since earning the starting RT job down there the ensuing summer, he hasn’t missed even one game to injury. His lone missed start in the 6.5 seasons from 2015 to today was in week 1 this year, and only because Fant started over him at RT. 

It’ll be interesting to see what they do when Becton returns: who’s the odd man out if all three are healthy? Do they just keep Becton - easily the most talented of the three - on the sideline? Moses has been a rock at RT, and is clearly more suited for the position than Fant (who’d further have to switch sides yet again). On the other hand I think the team would like to see Becton start before FA and their pick-rich draft next year. One down & up summer plus 3/4 of one game is all the action he’s seen since his rookie season ended. If he comes back and is rock-solid at LT for the rest of the season, then Fant might be the odd man out if he’ll cost ~2x of a Moses re-signing.

Also a slight possibility, however far less likely, is that they re-sign Moses and then trade Fant to a team who needs a LT more than the Jets but doesn’t want to roll the dice or force their 1st rounder on a LT in the draft a month later. That probably depends what (if any) trade interest he got these past 2 weeks, when JD couldn’t act on them with Becton out.

(rant/musings above also for @Scott Dierking by request ;)

• Post of the Week 1