Flacco to start!

IndianaJet

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer24m

New York Jets' decision to start Joe Flacco is puzzling but offers a silver lining

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets don't have a quarterback controversy. They have quarterback confusion.

Coach Robert Saleh's stunning decision to start Joe Flacco on Sunday, only two days after insisting he hasn't lost faith in Mike White, is puzzling on a few levels. White played a bad game against the best defensive team in the NFL, the Buffalo Bills, and now Saleh is doing what he accused the media of doing.

"This market fascinates me in the sense that [White] was anointed The Next Coming after one game, and now everyone wants to throw him away," Saleh said Monday. "He deserves better than that."

Two weeks ago, they were ready to write songs about White. Now, with QB1 Zach Wilson (knee) still not 100%, he has been replaced by a 36-year-old statue who hasn't started a game since Nov. 22, 2021. Talk about a quick fall.

There's a lot to unpack here. Let's start with something positive.

The Jets are being ultra-cautious with Wilson, recognizing his long-term importance to the franchise. Good for them. Saleh & Co. are trying their best not to sabotage their quarterback of the future, something the previous regime failed to do with Sam Darnold.

This will get lost in the hysteria fueled by the Flacco-over-White decision, but Wilson's well-being and development are the top priorities in 2021. It's important not to lose sight of the macro view. They're protecting their No. 1 asset.

As for the micro view, yes, Saleh looks indecisive. There's also the whole rebuilding piece to the matter. As everybody knows, the Jets are in the midst of a youth movement, experiencing painful growing pains, and the idea is to play the kids and give them a chance to develop.

Flacco is no kid. Half the players on the Jets' roster were preteens when he won the Super Bowl MVP for the Baltimore Ravens after the 2012 season. Basically, Flacco is a one-game punching bag, a placeholder until Wilson returns.

It also looks weird because, for several months, the Jets stubbornly refused to sign a veteran backup, insisting they were fine with Wilson and White. Suddenly, they traded a 2022 conditional sixth-round pick for Flacco three weeks ago, after Wilson's injury, and now he's starting against the Miami Dolphins.

Saleh made it sound like this was an opponent-specific decision, saying Flacco's experience makes him better equipped to handle Miami's blitz-heavy defense. In last week's game, the Dolphins blitzed a defensive back on 24 dropbacks, confusing and frustrating the Ravens' Lamar Jackson. They sacked him four times. If the league's most mobile quarterback couldn't escape, what will happen to Flacco?

The Jets' belief is Flacco's veteran presence will have a calming effect on the rest of the offense, even though he has barely practiced with the team. Saleh's football reasons might be sound, but when viewed through the prism of the entire quarterback picture, the change comes across as a head-scratcher.

What the Jets need now is a healthy Wilson in the lineup, showing improvement and making the rest of this quarterback nonsense fade away.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

You could argue playing Flacco could benefit some of those players more than having Mike White start. Did you really feel Mike White would be our long term answer at QB ?

White benefitted plenty of players when he passed for 400 yards. What makes you think Flacco would have done better in that game?

And did I think White was the long term answer? LOL, you haven't read my posts if you are asking that question. I have always said Wilson should start the second he is healthy BUT I do think White has more of a chance of being a long term answer for something (Starter/backup/trade bait) than 36 year old Flacco. 

Watching this week is going to be absolute torture. How long before the entire Oline misses their assignments and old man Flacco is broken into pieces....wait is that the reason they sat White?

I learned long ago just when you think it cant get any worse with this franchise. We are a disgrace. I call the bottom if Jets trade their 1st from Seattle to get Geno back. This sucks!

6 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I guess you never had "fun' in Vegas! lol sorry about that.

Mike  White is gonna be a backup...probably a good one. but it ends there.

No comment on Zach. The jury is still out yet.

Been to Vegas a bunch. Admit that I think it sucks. Always the same thing. You land with so much energy. After the first night of sensory overload I'm calling the airline to get my flight moved up. Just seems like manufactured experience to me. To each his own.

• Upvote 1

I've never been a Flacco fan and didn't believe he played particularly  well for us in 2020

I was rooting for us to go undefeated in the pre season and get the

Saleh regime off to a good start but damn the old man looked good

the preseason finally. Don't give a crap if we win or not. Wilson

developing into a top QB is all that matters. Falcco can go hell

next year for all I care. Concerns about Wilson's health are BS,

What concerns me is ZW confidence after facing the blitz crazy Dolphins

i

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

It isn’t this personal my man. I’m simply not moved by the decision. It’s one game. Nothing to lose. Nothing to gain besides rookie offensive skill player development & I’m not above anyone. I love you all. We have different opinions all the time. I think the opposite’s POV is a bit over dramatic at the moment & I’ve seen much more to be mad about from this team as of recent (defense) but whatevs.

Most situations I am, most definitely, today, in this situation, I’m really not. Again, it’s one game where an old bum is getting one game over a young bum (I like Mike White btw but I’ve had my fill). No cool guy act here, just confused at the hysteria. The sky is falling level have been a bit out of the norm as of recent.(agree there is a lot to be mad about though) but this one just isn’t it for me.

Seems to me based on today’s press conference they want someone who can read coverage a bit better, be calm during the blitz and has a bit of a stronger arm. They took the short passing game away and the PA was nonexistent, our bread and butter, gone. White can’t throw deep. Not saying it’s the right or wrong decision because the decision would have to have repercussions for me to say something is right or wrong.(which, to me, it barely does) but how they’ve handled the situation hasn’t really been that bad imho. They’re desperate for wins and Flacco matches up better with what they want for this Miami game. It’s whatever honestly. Wilson will be back week after and everyone will have other things to be upset about. 

Meh.. am I really the sensible one here being that I’m a New York Jets fan? I’m just cruising broski, whatever happens, happens. I’ve far reached that point in my life time as a Jets fan.

Your behavior is confusing.  You were so shocked by the boards reaction to this news that you cared enough to respond, keep responding and insult anyone how doesnt like what's going on but you dont care about anything, you're just cruising?  okay....

While I disagree with the decision for many reasons, it's not about Flacco starting Sunday.  You keep looking at the decision in a vacuum and that's not what many of us are frustrated about.  It's about the collection of decisions and the comedy of errors this regime continues to make.  Just a few days ago, Robert Saleh had too much on his mind to think about the QB, a few days later he proceed to challenge a talking head analyst to a fist fight and then a day later he named Joe Flacco a starter after insulting the entire market for apparently wanting to throw Mike White out of town for having 1 bad game and now suddenly, Joe Flacco who hasnt won a game since 10-13-2019, is a wise decision for this team?  lol   

Bro...you start looking at that sh*t, the constant losing under Douglas, the D being historically bad, the mishandling of the QB situation and it's all start adding up.  We're supposed to trust these guys?  This isnt whatever, it's next level incompetence.

• Upvote 2

""This market fascinates me in the sense that [White] was anointed The Next Coming after one game, and now everyone wants to throw him away," Saleh said Monday. "He deserves better than that." - Robert Saleh

He must post here. The man can strawman with the best of them.

My biggest confusion in this is, What's the fan furor all about?

Last week I wanted to see White.  I saw him, turn the page.  

This week I wanted to see Wilson against a decent Fish D.   From the beginning developing Wilson is all this season was really about.  If he's not 100% He needs to be on the bench. 

Obviously the Jets' CS thinks White doesn't have much upside.  First with trading for Flacco, now benching White.  If that's the truth, even though I wanted to see Wilson this week, and the rest of the year, Flacco is the way to go for Sunday.

WE'll see Wilson next week, and maybe White next summer if they give him the 2nd round tag.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If they’re worried about arm strength, they should be starting Wilson. His teammates see Wilson in practice. They know he’s healthy, and now they know that the org is actively holding him out of games because… Every player on that field is hurt at this time of year, but they’re keeping their golden child QB out because he’s not 100%? Weak sh*t.

Meanwhile, the Defense gives up 175 points in 4 games.  And somehow, there is a QB who has been on this roster all season managed to win a game during that stretch of historically bad Defense.  That QB is healthy and he's not starting on Sunday.  Instead, a QB who arrived a few weeks ago, just learned the offense, hasnt won a game in over 2 years, will be starting Sunday because he gives them the best chance to win.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Your behavior is confusing.  You were so shocked by the boards reaction to this news that you cared enough to respond, keep responding and insult anyone how doesnt like what's going on but you dont care about anything, you're just cruising?  okay....

One has to care to the extent you do to respond to posters on a board? I’m not insulting anyone 

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

My biggest confusion in this is, What's the fan furor all about?

Last week I wanted to see White.  I saw him, turn the page.  

This week I wanted to see Wilson against a decent Fish D.   From the beginning developing Wilson is all this season was really about.  If he's not 100% He needs to be on the bench. 

Obviously the Jets' CS thinks White doesn't have much upside.  First with trading for Flacco, now benching White.  If that's the truth, even though I wanted to see Wilson this week, and the rest of the year, Flacco is the way to go for Sunday.

WE'll see Wilson next week, and maybe White next summer if they give him the 2nd round tag.  

Well did you really think ZW was going to be ready, or allowed to come back before the 4 weeks were over? I don't think many can say that honestly. White probably isn't 100 percent healthy either, so why play him before he's good to go either.

Im not impressed that Flacco was brought back in when we had JJ in the wings as a cheap vet backup/emergency option. That's my beef with the situation.

53 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Saleh made it sound like this was an opponent-specific decision, saying Flacco's experience makes him better equipped to handle Miami's blitz-heavy defense. In last week's game, the Dolphins blitzed a defensive back on 24 dropbacks, confusing and frustrating the Ravens' Lamar Jackson. They sacked him four times. If the league's most mobile quarterback couldn't escape, what will happen to Flacco?

The Jets' belief is Flacco's veteran presence will have a calming effect on the rest of the offense, even though he has barely practiced with the team. Saleh's football reasons might be sound, but when viewed through the prism of the entire quarterback picture, the change comes across as a head-scratcher.

Since Zach Wilson has been on the bench, the offense has flourished.  They scored 30 points, twice, before facing the #1 defense in the NFL.  There were a few stats going around (prior to facing the #1 D in the NFL) about how fast Mike White got the ball out and doing well consequently at beating the blitz.  lmfao.  

I hate this team.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

OMG THIS!!!!!!!!!!

We should just fire the coach and GM after EVERY season!!!!!!!!! Let's really get this revolving door thingy sped up!!!!!

I will have to try this excuse when my wife nags me to take out the trash tonight

• WTF? 1

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Since Zach Wilson has been on the bench, the offense has flourished.  They scored 30 points, twice, before facing the #1 defense in the NFL.  There were a few stats going around (prior to facing the #1 D in the NFL) about how fast Mike White got the ball out and doing well consequently at beating the blitz.  lmfao.  

I hate this team.

You're not psyched to watch Joe Flacco, who the Ravens dumped 3 years ago?

On behalf of @DrFrasierCrane

Just you wait, Jets fans!

Flacco have his best game ever and will allow LaFleur to channel his inner genius

Ulbrich will prove he is the best DC in the game, and the defense will hold the Dolphins to negative points, pile up 37 sacks, intercept the Dolphins on passing play, and force fumbles on every rushing game

Just now, slimjasi said:

But wouldn't firing Saleh after 9 games be more akin to taking the trash out a few hours after you already did . . . or  . . . ? 

Moot anyway. Both untouchable until after next season when the previous two losers are off the payroll.

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

On behalf of @DrFrasierCrane

Just you wait, Jets fans!

Flacco have his best game ever and will allow LaFleur to channel his inner genius

Ulbrich will prove he is the best DC in the game, and the defense will hold the Dolphins to negative points, pile up 37 sacks, intercept the Dolphins on passing play, and force fumbles on every rushing game

And there will be zero penalties especially holding calls on us...

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is also a nice deflection for the epically awful defense.  The jets are not losing games due to white or wilson or johsnon or flacco, we are losing because the D is giving up 45 points a game.

Maybe Flacco can be a calming influence on the defense.

2009932956_giphy(4).gif.27e5695629812e7761ff96385959571c.gif