So Deon Sanders just stole the #1 recruit from FSU?

Beerfish

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I thought college players were allowed a stipend now. Are they really getting a million $$$?
I never knew this was a thing!

How much is the Bama QB or a guy like Hutchison getting?

Bryce Young is a 19-year-old college sophomore and the presumed starting quarterback for the Crimson Tide this coming season. He’s also a millionaire, thanks to eager sponsors and new rules from the NCAA.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban, speaking at the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention this week, said Young has already amassed name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals worth nearly $1 million after playing just 7 games and throwing 22 passes last year.

“Certain positions, probably, enhance opportunities to create value, like quarterback, and [Young] already has approached ungodly numbers — I’m not going to say what they are — and he hasn’t even played yet. Hasn’t even started,” Saban said. “It’s almost seven figures. And it’s like, the guy hasn’t even played yet. But that’s because of our brand.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

How can you know that for sure? There have been high five star players who never really materialize. Especially at a position like CB. Seems like a massive, massive gamble to spend a high first on a player like that.

Cause he’s going to dominate at that level. Now he may not pan out in the NFL but some team will take a chance on him early. Based on hype. Plus his size and speed are top notch. And he can tackle. 

Kid has a $1.5M deal at Jackson State (which is absurd). That said, he will play one year there and go into the portal for major $$$$ for the next few years given he will (should) dominate that level competition. This is visible click/bait, and Deion showing FSU he should be the head Coach (which will happen soon). 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Did anyone see his announcement ceremony?

Kid needs to get some better people around him. Totally classless. 

If he’s getting paid like a professional he better learn to act like one soon. 

Just watched it. I couldn't really understand what he was saying. But he just seemed like a kid who knew the decision he was making was going to shock the world. So he ran with that. He seems like a showman (like Primetime). I have no issues with him throwing those hats on the floor. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Did anyone see his announcement ceremony?

Kid needs to get some better people around him. Totally classless. 

If he’s getting paid like a professional he better learn to act like one soon. 

He is 18 years old.

He spent the first half thanking his coaches and teammates.

Then he did a reveal. Showing your age, Indiana.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Bryce Young is a 19-year-old college sophomore and the presumed starting quarterback for the Crimson Tide this coming season. He’s also a millionaire, thanks to eager sponsors and new rules from the NCAA.

Alabama head coach Nick Saban, speaking at the Texas High School Coaches Association’s annual convention this week, said Young has already amassed name, image, and likeness (NIL) deals worth nearly $1 million after playing just 7 games and throwing 22 passes last year.

“Certain positions, probably, enhance opportunities to create value, like quarterback, and [Young] already has approached ungodly numbers — I’m not going to say what they are — and he hasn’t even played yet. Hasn’t even started,” Saban said. “It’s almost seven figures. And it’s like, the guy hasn’t even played yet. But that’s because of our brand.”

Thanks for posting this.

pits funny, as soon as I started reading it, I vaguely remembered seeing it before. I can’t believe I forgot about it, and/or took it so lightly.

I was honestly shocked reading this thread and seeing the amount of $$$ involved.

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

1141055752_Screenshot_20211215-192534_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.42e64be423d5c4aaa1296c3ec8bbf3ea.jpg

So?  You have to offer for the player to accept.  Lol. He was verbally committed to FSU for 21 months and just threw their hat on the ground as he signed his LOI to Jackson St. who is coached by a FSU legend.  That’s the ultimate kick in the nuts. 

11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

And it brings. College sports is going to change drastically over the next few years. If a small ass college is able to pay that much for a player what are colleges like Notre Dame, Alabama, Miami etc going to do?

Pay more. So basically, same old same old 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lots of P5/FBS toadies in this thread, it seems.  

The big dogs have been treating the G5/FCS like a farm system for years.  About time a “little guy” got to return the favor and steal one away.  Albeit with the influence of a high profile coach and boosters. 

You see the same thing with draft capital. Some fans just can't brook any criticism -- much less skepticism-- of highly-drafted QBs. Mike White was launched into the sun for one bad game (against the #3 defense in Points Allowed and INTs) out of two career games (50% bomb rate). They don't even want his name mentioned anymore!

Wilson has -- generously -- 6 non-terrible quarters of football (against the #17 and #18 defenses in Points Allowed, #11 and #20 in INTs) on his resume out of 36 played (83% bomb rate).

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you're a DB, who better to coach you than the greatest ever.

I could argue it’s better to be coached by someone who wasn’t so naturally gifted, but rather by someone who became good/great despite physical limitations. Not unless Deion is going to teach him to run a sub-4.3 40. But then I could argue pretty much anything, and usually do ;).

Just saying the best coaches weren’t always the best players. Actually they usually weren’t.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I could argue it’s better to be coached by someone who wasn’t so naturally gifted, but rather by someone who became good/great despite physical limitations. Not unless Deion is going to teach him to run a sub-4.3 40. But then I could argue pretty much anything, and usually do ;).

Just saying the best coaches weren’t always the best players. Actually they usually weren’t.

Certainly a reasonable point though I had to put the laugh emoji for the bolded text.  :)

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, rtnelson said:

If you think this kid made a poor choice imagine that this is like a top level QB recruit in 15 years committing to a small school coached by Tom Brady.  Nobody would question that for a second.

Good personal and money decision, not so sure about the best decision to become a better football player.

15 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

You would question why a high school QB would want to be coached by Tom Brady?  Weird, but alright.

If he chose some FCS program over a national power, yeah, I would think that's suspect.

Not even to question Deion's coaching ability because he might be great -- but why is there an assumption here that great players make great coaches? Historically that is rarely the case.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If he chose some FCS program over a national power, yeah, I would think that's suspect.

Not even to question Deion's coaching ability because he might be great -- but why is there an assumption here that great players make great coaches? Historically that is rarely the case.

That's fair.  I'm definitely not saying Brady will make some amazing coach or anything, just threw out an example.  But if Brady were by all accounts successfully coaching a smaller program I would completely understand why a highly rated QB recruit would want to go there.

I also would understand why someone like Brady and why Sanders would potentially coach, and stay at smaller schools like that.  It wouldn't be a high pressure media spotlight job requiring the ridiculous amounts of hours that big blue blood D1 schools require.  A way to enjoy the sport of football, work with good young men without the crazy expectations and requirements.

• Upvote 1