Damien Woody’s warning for Mekhi Becton with bust whispers starting

Anthony Jet

He'll only be a bust if he can't stay healthy. He showed he can play last year. He's a beast as a run blocker and his pass blocking is good. 

I like the idea of drafting Evan Neal and letting him play right guard next year with the long term plan being to let him take over at right tackle for Fant after that. That also gives the Jets the ability to let him play left tackle if Becton can't stay healthy. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Why would you shut down a player who needs reps?

This may or may not be relevant for Becton, but even if a player needs reps, if it compromises their chances of staying healthy it's probably safer to let them set a little longer

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

At least for me, I'm never giddy about it.  I always wind up in a place of frustration, surprise or anger.  This might result in a joke.  But I'm never happy that the team or player fails.  I get more annoyed by fans who refuse to see it, then deriding others who do as "false fans".

I get the frustration, and never called you, or anyone else, a false fan. I said that I don't get it. Not that it is wrong. To me, criticism is fair, but some feel happiest making fun of players, like calling them fat, lazy, or midgets. I don't do that for teams I hate, but whatever works..

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Woody said Becton is dominant when he plays. Is that a bust? Have there been other players who were dominant when they played but are considered busts because they missed too much time due to injuries? 

Note: I am legit asking because I don’t know the answer.

It's WHY he is missing games that's the issue. It's because he's mentally soft/complete idiot. 

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

I get the frustration, and never called you, or anyone else, a false fan. I said that I don't get it. Not that it is wrong. To me, criticism is fair, but some feel happiest making fun of players, like calling them fat, lazy, or midgets. I don't do that for teams I hate, but whatever works..

My comment wasn't directed at you either, bostonmajet.  Totally get what you're saying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, undertow said:

I think people like you read peoples tone wrong because you are so emotionally invested and hero worship players......this is probably why any sort of criticism is met with hysterics.

a) I don't have hero worship

b) I am not hysterical

c) I am invested in the Jets as a fan, but I can be critical - Gase, Idzik, Mac - the list goes on with Jet failure - just never resorted to name calling or mockery; but that is me. I don't get those who do, but I do not really care that much - on vacation and a little bored. Maybe you guys are reading Becton and Mims wrong like you did with me. They may be busts, but maybe they aren't lazy, fat, stupid, or whatever...

You seem to be reading me wrong.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

More on Becton, from Tony Pauline/ProFootballNetwork.com today.  Certainly will be interesting to see how this plays out this offseason.  Regardless of what they may do with Becton, Fant deserves to be extended.

The problem with this, if true, is that moving on from Becton would be selling (trading) him at his lowest value.  

To me, safest route is bring Fant, Moses or another tackle, and Becton into camp and let them compete.  If Becton cant beat the others out, but at least shows he's healthy, then maybe a trade can be found?

• Sympathy 2

17 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

wtf is that thing?

It's clearly a sports bra.

If the HC wasn't Saleh - and was more of a douchebag/Parcells type - I'd think it was some type of motivational punishment, like putting on a dunce cap or calling a player "she" to get a reaction. In another time in history it may have been a dress; in 2021 it's a sports bra.

He looks appropriately upset/ashamed to be wearing it, so I'm going to reluctantly side with that stance until I hear a better explanation lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Barton said:

It's WHY he is missing games that's the issue. It's because he's mentally soft/complete idiot. 

The word everyone is looking for is "LAZY". 

I called this sh*t 2 years ago.  He's the kind of guy that never really had to work hard. He was bigger than all of the other kids in HS, he could just push guys around in College, and the only time he put in work was with the big payday on the line (the draft). He simply defaulted to the norm. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's clearly a sports bra.

If the HC wasn't Saleh - and was more of a douchebag/Parcells type - I'd think it was some type of motivational punishment, like putting on a dunce cap or calling a player "she" to get a reaction. In another time in history it may have been a dress; in 2021 it's a sports bra.

He looks appropriately upset/ashamed to be wearing it, so I'm going to reluctantly side with that stance until I hear a better explanation lol.

Terry Glenn's got nothing on those bazookas.

HEY MICKI YOU'RE SO FAT YOU'RE SO FAT I NEARLY SHAT HEY MICKI

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

a) I don't have hero worship

b) I am not hysterical

c) I am invested in the Jets as a fan, but I can be critical - Gase, Idzik, Mac - the list goes on with Jet failure - just never resorted to name calling or mockery; but that is me. I don't get those who do, but I do not really care that much - on vacation and a little bored. Maybe you guys are reading Becton and Mims wrong like you did with me. They may be busts, but maybe they aren't lazy, fat, stupid, or whatever...

You seem to be reading me wrong.

You just don't know how to have fun.

If Becton has a 15-year career and makes the hall of fame, cool.

But it wouldn't do nearly as much for me as it would if he showed up for training camp next year and got stuck in the front door.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

You just don't know how to have fun.

If Becton has a 15-year career and makes the hall of fame, cool.

But it wouldn't do nearly as much for me as it would if he showed up for training camp next year and got stuck in the front door.

Then have to call Fire Dept and @Jet_Engine1 has to use the jaws of life to get him out!!!!!

• Haha 2

The size of the paycheck and slot he was drafted simply demands he at the very least be available. It is unfortunate he got injured ... but the league is a business and so far this investment has been a huge failure.

Immeasurable talent means nothing if you dont put it on display.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

It’s really a pickle the Jets are in.  I would just imagine there would be a huge market for Becton, but at what price?  If they could get a 1st for him I’d say do it immediately.  A 2nd?  I’m not as sure.  He’s got immense talent.  But then do you draft Neal who is another huge, athletic lineman?  Neal is more polished for sure, but do you want that gamble again an an abnormally large person?

• Sympathy 1