a next level Quinnen Williams is just what the doc ordered

the team seems to play better with quincy out there as opposed to davis.  williams is all over the place and has enough speed and talent to cover people coming over the middle.  his only real issue besides inexperience is height but there have been quite a few sub 6' linebackers.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

His numbers are comparable to felloow ‘19 draftee DT Jeffrey Simmons who is considered a game wrecker for the #1 seeded Titans. 

If either Carl Lawson can return to be what the organization hoped for when originally signed as a FA OR the ‘22 draft yields a pass rushing edge that OLines can’t ignore, Quentin Williams will have an All-Pro year in 2022.

Book it. 

I hope you are right, but he is not a difference maker.

Everything changes when you start to win. LOL. His numbers are good and he's a hell of a player. If the offense was better and put more pressure on the opposing offense to score points the defense would be playing a more predictable, more one dimensional offense and have more impact plays. Guys like QW would get more sacks, etc. This is the ultimate team sport. Literally, just getting Lawson back and hitting on an edge rusher in the draft could impact QWs game. 

But who knows....

The attitude is good to see. Although is what he should be saying anyway. I'd like to hear this from Saleh and JD because its really on them to build this team and coach them up. Injuries aside, I'd like to hear some accountability and that JD intends to be aggressive in building a competitor next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t want to pay him Leonard Williams money even if he takes the “next step” next season, whatever it looks like.  
Let his 2nd contract be taken on by someone else.  

He’s the only 3T interior pass rusher we have. Which is a staple of the 4-3 defense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t want to pay him Leonard Williams money even if he takes the “next step” next season, whatever it looks like.  

Let his 2nd contract be taken on by someone else.  

Miffed by the people confused about this. He was a top draft pick and so far, 3 years in, he hasn’t been good.  Splash plays are great and all but he was supposed to dominate this year and was average at best. Wilkerson, Richardson, Williams and now Q.  Maybe we’ll stop drafting interior d-linemen so high.  And I was given guff for wanting to trade him in a package for Watson!

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Vita Vea just got $18m a year and Q puts way better numbers than Vea. I’d expect him to get a contract a little more than Vea got and Q deserves it. He’s one of the most double teamed guys in the league.

image.thumb.png.2ea4a6f3829eb663005e68e36d035869.png

Interesting.  So he's getting doubled a lot but he's not being productive either.

Would like to have seen him with Lawson - shame it didn't play out that way.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Vita Vea just got $18m a year and Q puts way better numbers than Vea. I’d expect him to get a contract a little more than Vea got and Q deserves it. He’s one of the most double teamed guys in the league.

Great chart. Some guys can beat dbl teams (Aaron Donald, Javon Hargrave, Chris Jones) and some guys can't (Grady Jarret, Quinnen, Ed Oliver). So our only hope for Q is to have another pass rusher who demands dbl teams, freeing Q up. But then Q does better, and the dbl teams return, shutting him down (again).

If Q can't beat dbl teams, and this chart shows he clearly can't, then don't pay him like he can.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yes, let's play the guy with a win rate a little higher than Ed Oliver elite DT money.  That's a smart allocation of resources!

• Haha 1

This is a similar graph as to the above - but the above is all elite pass rushers - and this is defensive tackles only. 

The bottom line is QW is already playing at an elite level for a DT. He is just not Aaron Donald. There are a lot of elite players on this list that QW has better #s on if you choose to put weight into this statistic. He is a very good player - and is still very young. He will likely never be a top top DT. He is worth another contract - especially given his age - he just shouldn't be breaking any records. The Jets should pick up his fifth year option this year - see how he plays with a proper edge next to him next year + year 2 in the scheme - and pay him after next year if warranted. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jethead said:

If I'm JD the first thing I do is extend Q and sign Braxton. Reward the guys who are doing it the way you want. Q just turned 24. He is a talented, ascending player. Clearly part of the plan.

There is no benefit to rushing to pay QW.  Pass-rushing DT's already have inflated salaries so you gain nothing by paying him to try him early.  There's no good reason why Leonard Williams and DeForest Buckner make nearly as much as Aaron Donald, but they do.  QW is going to want that kind of money.  So make him prove he's worth that kind of coin before handing it to him. 

Assuming he's given the 5th year option, we have until 2023 before he needs to get his new deal.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

This is a similar graph as to the above - but the above is all elite pass rushers - and this is defensive tackles only. 

The bottom line is QW is already playing at an elite level for a DT. He is just not Aaron Donald. There are a lot of elite players on this list that QW has better #s on if you choose to put weight into this statistic. He is a very good player - and is still very young. He will likely never be a top top DT. He is worth another contract - especially given his age - he just shouldn't be breaking any records. The Jets should pick up his fifth year option this year - see how he plays with a proper edge next to him next year + year 2 in the scheme - and pay him after next year if warranted. 

Where on this graph are you seeing "elite" DT play out of Quinnen Williams?  Per this chart, QW had comparable play to Tershawn Wharton, who had 2.0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 2 QB Hits and 0 QB Knockdowns this year.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where on this graph are you seeing "elite" DT play out of Quinnen Williams?  Per this chart, QW had comparable play to Tershawn Wharton, who had 2.0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 2 QB Hits and 0 QB Knockdowns this year.

That his win rate is the fifth highest in the league? 4th highest when you remove aliens. 

Per this chart QW is also comparable/wins more often than Jonathan Allen who had 9 sacks. 

4 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

That his win rate is the fifth highest in the league? 4th highest when you remove aliens. 

Per this chart QW is also comparable/wins more often than Jonathan Allen who had 9 sacks. 

I’d love to see when these sacks or “plays” were made.  I can’t think of a game where the jets were competitive and saying to myself, wow QW really showed up today. I’d venture to say most plays made by QW were in garbage time, when the other team basically isn’t trying.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Great chart. Some guys can beat dbl teams (Aaron Donald, Javon Hargrave, Chris Jones) and some guys can't (Grady Jarret, Quinnen, Ed Oliver). So our only hope for Q is to have another pass rusher who demands dbl teams, freeing Q up. But then Q does better, and the dbl teams return, shutting him down (again).

If Q can't beat dbl teams, and this chart shows he clearly can't, then don't pay him like he can.

I guess what’s important in that graph is those are the top 50 players in the league in win rate. So put another way he’s on the low end of the top 50 win rate guys (still pretty good company) and despite getting doubled a lot.

He is what he is. Good to very good player, not Aaron Donald. If he wants to come back he can get re-signed to a reasonable deal. If he wants to be the highest paid DT in the league let someone else do it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

His win rate is very low...

He just gets double teamed a lot.

That graph is the top 50 guys in win rate. It’s low for top 50 - top 50 is pretty good company. That’s why he looks so different in the other graph.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

That graph is the top 50 guys in win rate. It’s low for top 50 - top 50 is pretty good company. That’s why he looks so different in the other graph.

Top 50 means there's a guy on every team better than him - and a 2nd guy on 18 teams better than him...

IMO, that's not really that good.