Brandon Scherff?

51 minutes ago, peebag said:

My Cowboy friends say that this would be a steal if we get him.  Also they have TE available that would be a nice signing as well (Dalton Schultz)

Dalton Schultz is a very solid player, has 150 receptions in the last 2 seasons, has played in 49 of 49 games the last 3 seasons, and is currently 25 years old.

That is a guy you throw money at.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, peebag said:

My Cowboy friends say that this would be a steal if we get him.  Also they have TE available that would be a nice signing as well (Dalton Schultz)

Schultz and Connor Williams are right up there at the top of my (realistic) FA wishlist.

Young, ascending players at both TE and OG who are plug and play upgrades.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol we offered him $17MM/year when Baltimore's top offer was like $11-12MM. Of course he came here.

I don't remember the specific numbers but I do remember he wanted to stay with the Ravens but we badly outbid them.  I'm guessing the PA probably put pressure on him to accept our offer.  Meanwhile the Pats signed Matthew Judon, who worked out great for them and they paid less than we did (4/$56M or $14M per).  

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

If Evan Neal is there at pick 4, that's the guy the Jets should take in my opinion. Especially now that Jameson Williams likely has a torn ACL. 

Neal can fill the RG position, slide to right tackle next year when Fant is a Free Agent, and provide insurance for the Jets at left tackle in 2022 if Becton still can't get on the field. 

Becton-AVT-McGovern-Neal-Fant would be a pretty sweet offensive line heading into next season. 

You could also go a different position at 4 and draft Linderbaum at 10, but you don't know if Linderbaum will still be on the board and I don't particularly think drafting a center that high is a great idea. 

Scherff would be a great addition, but I think the Jets should be pouring their resources into defense and skill position players in free agency. 

Evan Neal shouldn't be on the Jets draft radar. Is he the best LT in the draft? Arguably so. Is he the best fit for the Jets? Absolutely not. We don't run a smash mouth gap blocking concept. 

Thats like a team who features gap blocking drafting Linderbaum thinking he'll be a beast like he was in Iowa.

THIS is why you don't build through Free agency when you are a losing franchise.  Everyone points to NE and says "LOOK!" They spend money and are contenders again.  No crap!  They have half a dozen Super Bowls and are THE franchise to model after!  Everybody wants to come to them and will come at a fair price.

But if Scherff doesn't want to be the top paid guard at a team out of the playoffs but better than us, why do Jets fans want to sign him for even MORE money to get him to come here.  If that isn't the textbook definition of a player looking to get paid, and will probably not live up to expectations (not surprisingly), I don't know what is. 

2 hours ago, jamesr said:

Given our existing concerns over injuries, this should 100% rule him out IMHO.

Let's draft and develop our own guys (Brandon Moore says hi :-) ).

I like that idea, too, but would rather bring in a sure thing if the opportunity is there, while the team's locked in on enough sub-$10MM linemen as it is. e.g. bring in a veteran RG (and I'm not that concerned about cost), leave McGovern alone at least until the draft, and if we take a C/G prospect on day 2 I'd be happy with that. 

Keep in mind, all that's position fill-ins without names.

Schreff should be JDs number one target in free agency. Signing him is the cherry on top to a finished offensive line. Now he doesn’t have to worry about finding another offensive lineman in the draft and can focus going all in on defense. Schreff should be his first call when free agency opens 

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This brings up a question - Jets FA dilemma...

If the Jets are only going to get the FA's that are basically solely about money?

Are those the guys that aren't passionate about winning?

If that's the case, is that why our FA seem far to often to be bums?

In other words, the FA's that care about winning - we can't get.

The perfect example at the same position from just 10 months ago might be Joe Thuney.

Apparently the Jets put a really hard press on him in free agency and were opening the wallet.  He wants to win and signed with KC.

1359998264_ScreenShot2022-01-12at10_43_24AM.png.56bd5e13e18f27500b753a650ed3195e.png

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't remember the specific numbers but I do remember he wanted to stay with the Ravens but we badly outbid them.  I'm guessing the PA probably put pressure on him to accept our offer.  Meanwhile the Pats signed Matthew Judon, who worked out great for them and they paid less than we did (4/$56M or $14M per).  

I'm not going to search high & low for 4 year old rumor links, but iirc that's roughly where their top offer was, in that range. Here's one from espn, right before FA started, expecting his contract to be in that $11-12MM range, but that's not what I was remembering. Keep in mind, DeCosta & the Ravens didn't think he was worth the $15MM franchise tag, considering where they'd have to cut corners elsewhere. Seems like a good team-first guy, but that contract was nuts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This brings up a question - Jets FA dilemma...

If the Jets are only going to get the FA's that are basically solely about money?

Are those the guys that aren't passionate about winning?

If that's the case, is that why our FA seem far to often to be bums?

In other words, the FA's that care about winning - we can't get.

I think it is a huge issue, not only for us, but for other struggling/rebuilding teams.  As much as teh draft is designed to give bad teams a chance to improve, FA is skewed the other way and is a barrier to the kind of parity that the NFL really wants.   

Guys will take less money to play for a contender and I can't blame them.  And then you hear the typiccal refrain on this site, wow, I can't believe JD/Macc/Idzik didn't sign the player at that price.

We will add some pieces in FA, but the key to this ongoing rebuild will be the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol we offered him $17MM/year when Baltimore's top offer was like $11-12MM. Of course he came here.

Lol I’m aware we overpaid. The question was are those guys not passionate because they’re just taking the biggest deal. 
Id say no. Majority of FA want the biggest contract because it might be their only chance. 

3 days after the season and we already have Scirff and Khalil Mack threads.  The disconnect between the fanbase and the front office's plans couldnt be more far off.

And its the fans fault becasue they just refuse to listen to what Joe D and Coach Saleh are telling you.

WE ARE BIULDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  None of these high priced, big named free agents are coming here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are we going to waste time on this all offseason?

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

3 days after the season and we already have Scirff and Khalil Mack threads.  The disconnect between the fanbase and the front office's plans couldnt be more far off.

And its the fans fault becasue they just refuse to listen to what Joe D and Coach Saleh are telling you.

WE ARE BIULDING THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  None of these high priced, big named free agents are coming here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You already know the answer to this one. ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Love his ability on the field - who wouldn’t? - but he hasn’t played a full season since his 2nd year in the league. That’s 5 straight years where he’s missed multiple games (not counting games he left early with those injuries).

If he’s looking for something pushing $20MM/yr, that’s way overboard for a guy who’s that unreliable from a health standpoint, especially with a 17th game added (and - gasp - playoffs beyond that if the Jets get their act together aside from just RG).

I’ve got no issues paying up big for a RG, especially when the team’s LG counterpart is on a relatively cheap rookie deal for the next 3 seasons, and not having either tackle making in excess of $10MM. But it can’t be a guy who misses this many games, especially with Becton not being a 100%-snaps guy himself, to say the least:

• 2017: missed 2 (knee)
  • 2018: missed 8 (shoulder in a brace earlier, then tore a pectoral, and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2019: missed 5 (ankle; and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2020: missed 3 (knee; played all snaps in WFT’s 1 playoff game)
  • 2021: missed 4 to injury (knee; then 2 more were because he tested positive for covid in late Dec, but I can’t fault him for that)

Anyway that’s just way too many missed games for a guy demanding that much. Historically injury prone players don’t tend to get suddenly less injury prone, for the next few years in a row, starting at age 31.

So you're saying he plays like a Jet?

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Love his ability on the field - who wouldn’t? - but he hasn’t played a full season since his 2nd year in the league. That’s 5 straight years where he’s missed multiple games (not counting games he left early with those injuries).

If he’s looking for something pushing $20MM/yr, that’s way overboard for a guy who’s that unreliable from a health standpoint, especially with a 17th game added (and - gasp - playoffs beyond that if the Jets get their act together aside from just RG).

I’ve got no issues paying up big for a RG, especially when the team’s LG counterpart is on a relatively cheap rookie deal for the next 3 seasons, and not having either tackle making in excess of $10MM. But it can’t be a guy who misses this many games, especially with Becton not being a 100%-snaps guy himself, to say the least:

• 2017: missed 2 (knee)
  • 2018: missed 8 (shoulder in a brace earlier, then tore a pectoral, and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2019: missed 5 (ankle; and would’ve missed the postseason)
  • 2020: missed 3 (knee; played all snaps in WFT’s 1 playoff game)
  • 2021: missed 4 to injury (knee; then 2 more were because he tested positive for covid in late Dec, but I can’t fault him for that)

Anyway that’s just way too many missed games for a guy demanding that much. Historically injury prone players don’t tend to get suddenly less injury prone, for the next few years in a row, starting at age 31.

excellent points.  i'm not quite sure why he thinks he should be paid higher than any other guard given his injury history and age.  imo the jets should try to re-sign tardif and then draft a guard.  or maybe clark will finally be ready to play.

57 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Schreff should be JDs number one target in free agency. Signing him is the cherry on top to a finished offensive line. Now he doesn’t have to worry about finding another offensive lineman in the draft and can focus going all in on defense. Schreff should be his first call when free agency opens 

Did you not see the posts above stating the guy is a walking injury the last few years?  Pass, get Schultz and Connor Williams both guys and you solve most issues, then you can draft some prospects in later rounds.

Just now, AZSOJ said:

Did you not see the posts above stating the guy is a walking injury the last few years?  Pass, get Schultz and Connor Williams both guys and you solve most issues, then you can draft some prospects in later rounds.

Connor Williams is fine too. I like Schreff but my main point is we should use free agency to upgrade that RG position instead of a high draft pick

15 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Another site had JD comments about FA as being an acknowledgement he had to do better in FA and would .... now what does that mean?  Like you I think he will look for value and not overpay...  however, I really would like him to get both Schultz and Connor Williams form Dallas, they would really help us in key spots and free him up to plug other holes.  

it also intimated that he may use draft capital to do a trade... is it speculation?  maybe, but seems reasonable since he also acknowledged that 6 wins in the last two years isn't cutting it. 

40 minutes ago, AZSOJ said:

Another site had JD comments about FA as being an acknowledgement he had to do better in FA and would .... now what does that mean?  Like you I think he will look for value and not overpay...  however, I really would like him to get both Schultz and Connor Williams form Dallas, they would really help us in key spots and free him up to plug other holes.  

it also intimated that he may use draft capital to do a trade... is it speculation?  maybe, but seems reasonable since he also acknowledged that 6 wins in the last two years isn't cutting it. 

I could see Shultz and Williams as both are in theor mid 20s and wont be the highest paid players at their position.

With Trey Mcbride being at the senior bowl and available in round 2, it just makes too much sense for us not to draft him there.  His upside is waaaaay better then Shultz.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol I’m aware we overpaid. The question was are those guys not passionate because they’re just taking the biggest deal. 
Id say no. Majority of FA want the biggest contract because it might be their only chance. 

And a LOT of them don't work out here.  Should we list a bunch?  Because there are a few to list.  

When we start winning, there will be people who don't mind leaving a little on the table if they know they have a regular chance of playoffs/Super Bowls.  

When you haven't made the playoffs for over ten years, people don't give you discounts for the privilege of playing with you. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

And a LOT of them don't work out here.  Should we list a bunch?  Because there are a few to list.  

When we start winning, there will be people who don't mind leaving a little on the table if they know they have a regular chance of playoffs/Super Bowls.  

When you haven't made the playoffs for over ten years, people don't give you discounts for the privilege of playing with you. 

That’s with any team. If you’re spending big in free agency it’s prob not a good thing. 
Like I said, it’s the end of the career veterans that choose to go to a winning team over biggest contract. Otherwise most guys are chasing dollars. Good or bad. We’ve had hits. We’ve had misses. This is nothing new. 

7 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

That’s with any team. If you’re spending big in free agency it’s prob not a good thing. 
Like I said, it’s the end of the career veterans that choose to go to a winning team over biggest contract. Otherwise most guys are chasing dollars. Good or bad. We’ve had hits. We’ve had misses. This is nothing new. 

I would say the percentage of hits are always higher with better teams.