"Blame Salad for Zach"

Has anyone seen this video ? It's recorded by JT O'Sullivan an ex-NFL Quarterback that has set-up his own Youtube Channel called the QB. He puts out numerous videos analyzing NFL Quarterbacks. He has done a couple of videos on Zach this year. Despite what the titled of this video implies JT is also critical of the Jet's Offensive Coaching staff and their play calling. His video analyze numerous plays a points out where the succeed and where they fail. There is quite a bit of insight in them. JT is also critical of the way the Jets are bringing Zach along. A month after this video was released JT released a second video ask has Zach improved. In that video he showed areas where Zach was making progress.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

Has anyone seen this video ? It's recorded by JT O'Sullivan an ex-NFL Quarterback that has set-up his own Youtube Channel called the QB. He puts out numerous videos analyzing NFL Quarterbacks. He has done a couple of videos on Zach this year. Despite what the titled of this video implies JT is also critical of the Jet's Offensive Coaching staff and their play calling. His video analyze numerous plays a points out where the succeed and where they fail. There is quite a bit of insight in them. JT is also critical of the way the Jets are bringing Zach along. A month after this video was released JT released a second video ask has Zach improved. In that video he showed areas where Zach was making progress.

Nice, he’s an awesome watch, he changes his tune a month later here tho, so good to hear.

• Upvote 2

They couldn’t have come up with a worse plan for him 

it starts with JD getting out bid for Juszczyk and having White as the backup and continued with LaFleur experimenting with play calling for the first time. 

He had some chemistry with Davis, but of course he got hurt

47 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nice, he’s an awesome watch, he changes his tune a month later here tho, so good to hear.

JT spends a great deal of time to point out that there is blame to go around for everyone in this mess and makes numerous calls on the poor O-Line Blocking. He shows a play where the Left Guard is tell the Left Tackle (Conor McDermott) who to block before the ball is snapped. That is pitiful ! He shows another play where the Running Back shoots the gap between the Left Guard Guard and Left Tackle to run out into the flat to receive a pass. Thing about it is there is a blitzing linebacker zeroing in on Zach yet the Back doesn't even throw a chip block to slow the dude down and he comes in to cream Zach. As JT points out this is the type of stuff that will get your quarterback killed. Do the Jets even deserve a 1st Round Draft Pick as a quarterback with this type of OLine Play ?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

JT spends a great deal of time to point out that there is blame to go around for everyone in this mess and makes numerous calls on the poor O-Line Blocking. He shows a play where the Left Guard is tell the Left Tackle (Conor McDermott) who to block before the ball is snapped. That is pitiful ! He shows another play where the Running Back shoots the gap between the Left Guard Guard and Left Tackle to run out into the flat to receive a pass. Thing about it is there is a blitzing linebacker zeroing in on Zach yet the Back doesn't even throw a chip block to slow the dude down and he comes in to cream Zach. As JT points out this is the type of stuff that will get your quarterback killed. Do the Jets even deserve a 1st Round Draft Pick as a quarterback with this type of OLine Play ?

To be fair, McDermott wouldn't have even been on the field if not for injuries. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

To be fair, McDermott wouldn't have even been on the field if not for injuries. 

All teams have injuries. Where responsibilities lies are with the O Line Coach and the Offensive Coordinator. There is no excuse for any player taking the field not knowing what his Blocking Assignments. Why should these guys get low round draft talent when they show they can't utilize what's given them ?

• Thumb Down 1

39 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

All teams have injuries. Where responsibilities lies are with the O Line Coach and the Offensive Coordinator. There is no excuse for any player taking the field not knowing what his Blocking Assignments. Why should these guys get low round draft talent when they show they can't utilize what's given them ?

In this system 8-9 bad games of blocking followed every implementation.  It’s new and takes time.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I think without a doubt that was a fair take. I think depending on perspective the offense was way too complicated for Zach. Zach’s calling alerts into defenses that are clearly in line to stop the play. He’s missing basic stuff and he clearly has no understanding of his surroundings and how to react. That said, his team isn’t helping either. My constant point of contention of why I don’t believe Zach will ever prosper is he is not a intelligent QB. He doesn’t understand what he’s seeing at all and he has the keys to an offense that gives him a ton of options. He’s basically guessing at multiple choice questions. I think it’s so easy for the FO to fall in love with the big arm and athleticism thinking they can coach up the intelligence but Zach is missing basic things. He never should have started as a rookie but unfortunately that’s how the league is now. I think LaFleur simplified the offense in the second half which helped Zach marginally improve, but Zach has a hell of a long way to go before he’s a competent QB.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 6

21 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

I think without a doubt that was a fair take. I think depending on perspective the offense was way too complicated for Zach. Zach’s calling alerts into defenses that are clearly in line to stop the play. He’s missing basic stuff and he clearly has no understanding of his surroundings and how to react. That said, his team isn’t helping either. My constant point of contention of why I don’t believe Zach will ever prosper is he is not a intelligent QB. He doesn’t understand what he’s seeing at all and he has the keys to an offense that gives him a ton of options. He’s basically guessing at multiple choice questions. I think it’s so easy for the FO to fall in love with the big arm and athleticism thinking they can coach up the intelligence but Zach is missing basic things. He never should have started as a rookie but unfortunately that’s how the league is now. I think LaFleur simplified the offense in the second half which helped Zach marginally improve, but Zach has a hell of a long way to go before he’s a competent QB.

And you decided that in 5 weeks.  Didn’t you used to say he’d always throw picks, or was that someone else? 

——

Edit: I’m looking around and Zach was already a bust by week 3 it appears.  

The day after the Denver game:
“Wilson should have been taken in the 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest. This was the season to trade down and build equity. Ride Darnold like a lame duck and target a QB in 2022. The worst mistake for us now would be to compound the error of taking Wilson by not taking a QB next year.”

Looking for a post calling a Zach in week 2 and haven’t seen you post that week but @Sammybighead Called his shot early (after the 4 pick Patriots game) and the season proved it out:

“More often than not, a young QBs biggest issue is understanding game speed and processing quickly. Right now, zachs mental processing is extremely slow. He's holding the ball and not making quick decisions. I can make an argument that those INTs last week stem from him being mentally slow.

This aspect of a QBs game is the slowest to develop when they first come into the league. Only cure for it is seeing enough snaps. Hopefully zach looks at the film and realizes how much he needs to speed things up. Sometimes that means taking the quick underneath stuff.

The good news is he's displayed the physical attributes you want to see. Arm, very smooth slide in the pocket, athleticism outside the pocket. Don't jump ship fellas, kid just needs some time to get his brain up to speed with his body.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Chad Pennington who is praised for being one of the smartest QBs in the NFL that had a Water Pistol for an arm had the luxury of sitting on the bench for 2 full seasons to sit back and watch before he took a snap in play. Zach has been thrown into the deep end of the pool with not so much as an introduction and an O-Line that at times looks like 3 turnstiles bookended by 2 rusty gates. A QB with brains would say RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. That's a fine way to learn the game. At least John Mara was man enough to admit the Giant Coaching Staff and Management have been screwing around with Daniel Jones for the last 3 years. Now Dabold has to waste a season figuring out if there is enough left of him to salvage a decent QB. Somehow I get the feeling the Jets are heading down the same road while the fans are yell "surround him with weapons...surround him with weapons"

• Thumb Down 2

22 minutes ago, JTJet said:

*Sees thread title*

@Jetsfan80

Go Go Go Running GIF

The title of the channel is the QB School so the videos are titled with respect to the Quarterback. JT has published videos by other quarterbacks including Justin Field that have titles that are less than flattering. But when you get into them you find out the Quarterback is treated with a sense of perspective.

1 hour ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Wilson can hit throws and make plays many NFL QBs can’t.  Did you see them in flashes?  Yes.  They were there, as opposed to not being there which also is the case with many Rookie QBs. The big question going forward will be consistency.

Chris Simms was happy with and called a wrap on his Rookie season based on 20 throws he made at the top level when his mind was absolutely swimming pre-injury.  He didn’t even need to see the very definite improvements Wilson made post-injury.  All the temporary strange glitches in his game that had NEVER manifested before would be easily corrected Simms said, and they appear to have been.

I can’t understand how people can’t see the talent level and potential skies the limit ceiling that this kid has.  Especially after almost beating Tom Brady with Nothing at the skill positions.  Sanchez, Darnold, Smith, Pennington post injury lose that game by 40 points.

45216519_1540013929.7094_Zy2aDY_n.jpg

the jets scored an average of 18.2 points per game.  not great but it's a substantial increase over 2020's 15.4 ppg and even the 17.3 ppg logged by the 2019 team.  and considering all of the issues with injuries, rookie qb, ineffective oline, minimal turnovers the offense is on the way up.  the defense is another story.  29.6 ppg against just doesn't cut it.

• Upvote 2

And you decided that in 5 weeks.  Didn’t you used to say he’d always throw picks, or was that someone else? 

——
Edit: I’m looking around and Zach was already a bust by week 3 it appears.  
The day after the Denver game:
“Wilson should have been taken in the 2nd or 3rd round at the earliest. This was the season to trade down and build equity. Ride Darnold like a lame duck and target a QB in 2022. The worst mistake for us now would be to compound the error of taking Wilson by not taking a QB next year.”
Looking for a post calling a Zach in week 2 and haven’t seen you post that week but [mention=33268]Sammybighead[/mention] Called his shot early (after the 4 pick Patriots game) and the season proved it out:

“More often than not, a young QBs biggest issue is understanding game speed and processing quickly. Right now, zachs mental processing is extremely slow. He's holding the ball and not making quick decisions. I can make an argument that those INTs last week stem from him being mentally slow.

This aspect of a QBs game is the slowest to develop when they first come into the league. Only cure for it is seeing enough snaps. Hopefully zach looks at the film and realizes how much he needs to speed things up. Sometimes that means taking the quick underneath stuff.

The good news is he's displayed the physical attributes you want to see. Arm, very smooth slide in the pocket, athleticism outside the pocket. Don't jump ship fellas, kid just needs some time to get his brain up to speed with his body.”

Not after 5 weeks in. Before he was drafted. I was laughing when his stock started rising, then mortified when he started being projected to #2 overall. You’re gonna see it again this year. 2 months ago the chatter was there isn’t a 1st round quality QB in this upcoming draft (which is accurate), now we’re hearing rumors of Kenny Pickett going top 10, even top 5. You either have a QB or you don’t, so teams without are doing incredibly desperate things to get one.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

That does sound fresh.  I’ve been wanting to hear about the new up and coming QB Joe Flacco 

I just figured if someone is making the case that the problem is in coaching, they further their evidence by demonstrating how the other 3 QBs couldn’t produce in this offense too…

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I just figured if someone is making the case that the problem is in coaching, they further their evidence by demonstrating how the other 3 QBs couldn’t produce in this offense too…

Fair, but I think the line got  better as time went on so that likely helped the other three who looked more competent when Zach went down. Truth is Zach simply wasn’t ready to start. Especially while they were creating/building a system. Should have started a vet until at least the line gelled, 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I really have no way of proving this, but I don't think its an "intelligence" issue with Wilson. I think he has trouble seeing the field in a tight pocket, which is why you see him keep drifting back so that he haas more space to see. I believe its also why he seems more comfortable outside the pocket. 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Not after 5 weeks in. Before he was drafted. I was laughing when his stock started rising, then mortified when he started being projected to #2 overall. You’re gonna see it again this year. 2 months ago the chatter was there isn’t a 1st round quality QB in this upcoming draft (which is accurate), now we’re hearing rumors of Kenny Pickett going top 10, even top 5. You either have a QB or you don’t, so teams without are doing incredibly desperate things to get one.

It’s a case of confirmation bias…

On week 3 his only positive trait was a strong arm you said.  

He’s got lots of + traits : arm strength, quick release, keeps eyes downfield, elusive, extends plays, ability to create off schedule, fast enough to punish a team, deep ball accuracy, film study, interception amnesia, etc…  That’s a long list and it’s not complete.   That’s why he was the consensus 2nd pick and the 9ers would have taken him gladly at 3rd.

Not processing quickly early in a rookie season doesn’t mean he’s not intelligent.

Your in your own corner repeating the same talking points but it’s not grounded in reality.  It’s silly to give up on a guy after 3 games.   

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's not even the offseason yet, and I'm already tired of Wilson-talk honestly.  No one is changing their opinion on Wilson based on a video or a forum post.  

It's all masturbatory at this point and until live bullets are flying next September. That being said, I look forward to happily participating lol. 

• Upvote 1

Does anyone else get the sense that sometimes this guy is just making up lingidy?

"So here we're going to see a trap 7 with some mesh concepts or maybe 12 personnel-I don't know I'm not in the QB room--but fly out Z here from the double split flag RPO zone set zippity do da slot wide slant over rotate comparator".

Some of it sounds fake.