WFAN

2 hours ago, JoeFan said:

I loved Mike and Dog. After Chris left, Mike became unlistenable. He became even more full of himself and constantly interrupted everyone. It was one thing to interrupt dumb callers.  It was another thing to act as if he knew more about football than Phil Simms on his Sunday show.

i generally enjoy ESPN more because you can hear their top analysts.  Loved Mike and Mike when they were a team. 

The best local guy by far is Brandon Tierney.  He is energetic, opinionated, and a huge Jets fan.

I wonder how many of you know that John Sterling had a sports talk show on WMCA in the 1960s?

I agree about Francesa just made the same comment...not only did his ego get out of control but he started to flip flop on every subject and deny it even tho it was on tape. lol  He ended looking like a fool and being a punchline. 

• Upvote 1

• 11 months later...
6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just ran an errand and turned on WFAN.  Carton and Roberts were talking about the hotel room that Evan Roberts booked in Vegas.  I realized "WTF am I listening to?!" about 10 seconds in and switched to ESPN.  Even though I loathe The Michael Kay Show, at least he was talking sports (and he was talking about a topic that made sense - the possibility of the Jets acquiring AR12).

But I'm still amazed that C&R are on the air (and I think they're #1 in their time slot).  They are PATHETIC at their job!

5-4-3-2-1 cue the JN response of "who listens to that anymore?"

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I just ran an errand and turned on WFAN.  Carton and Roberts were talking about the hotel room that Evan Roberts booked in Vegas.  I realized "WTF am I listening to?!" about 10 seconds in and switched to ESPN.  Even though I loathe The Michael Kay Show, at least he was talking sports (and he was talking about a topic that made sense - the possibility of the Jets acquiring AR12).

But I'm still amazed that C&R are on the air (and I think they're #1 in their time slot).  They are PATHETIC at their job!

I think that says more about the age of the general listening audience than anything else. Your prime time audience now are people who have grown up on the rot that is now ESPN tv, where it’s who’s the coolest, most hip person and not who knows real sports. That’s why Kay added Peter Rosenberg. He belongs on a sports talk show as much as I would giving physics lectures at MIT.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, section314 said:

I think that says more about the age of the general listening audience than anything else. Your prime time audience now are people who have grown up on the rot that is now ESPN tv, where it’s who’s the coolest, most hip person and not who knows real sports. That’s why Kay added Peter Rosenberg. He belongs on a sports talk show as much as I would giving physics lectures at MIT.

I can't imagine how anyone would actually want to listen to Peter Rosenberg.  It feels like anytime his name comes up it's because people dislike him.

• Upvote 3

On 2/10/2022 at 8:52 AM, Sammybighead said:

If you really want to hear sports talk radio that never talks about sports, turn on Michael Kay.

I have the same issue and complaint. To much nonsense and slapstick. I get you have to fill lots of time but I’m not tuning into a comedy show. Figure out something else to talk about.

Kay's show is a self indulgent bore.  Worse than a bore.  More like having itching powder in your jock-strap.  ESPN radio is pretty much a shot of leftist social politics with a sports chaser. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

36 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

At first, I believed their show would never work...

Carton would rather talk about eggplant parm than sports...

Evan doesn't want to talk anything but sports...

These 2 guys would never be friends outside of work because they have nothing in common...

But amazingly, it is fascinating to me listening to their interaction and how much they aggravate eachother...

I hate to admit it but it works for me...

7 minutes ago, jetswinbaby! said:

At first, I believed their show would never work...

Carton would rather talk about eggplant parm than sports...

Evan doesn't want to talk anything but sports...

These 2 guys would never be friends outside of work because they have nothing in common...

But amazingly, it is fascinating to me listening to their interaction and how much they aggravate eachother...

I hate to admit it but it works for me...

I turn on sports radio to hear sports talk.  These guys don't talk sports.  Though the rare times I've heard them do so, it still has a lot of "kitsch".  I can't stand them.

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2022 at 8:52 AM, Sammybighead said:

If you really want to hear sports talk radio that never talks about sports, turn on Michael Kay.

I have the same issue and complaint. To much nonsense and slapstick. I get you have to fill lots of time but I’m not tuning into a comedy show. Figure out something else to talk about.

Kay and his two banana boys know absolutely nothing about any sport besides baseball 

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Kay's show is a self indulgent bore.  Worse than a bore.  More like having itching powder in your jock-strap.  ESPN radio is pretty much a shot of leftist social politics with a sports chaser. 

Kay is clueless about how bad he is. For every interview he reads from a list of questions he prepared.  He doesn’t consider any answer and goes off to the next question.  There’s no building upon a topic or exploration into something interesting if it comes up.  It’s simply a grind until the end that’s painful to listen to.  
Mike and The Dog were good because they were engaging and often had much more fun discussion.  Bart and Hahn are very different and I like them most of today’s radio shows.  

9 minutes ago, Dupe said:

Kay is clueless about how bad he is. For every interview he reads from a list of questions he prepared.  He doesn’t consider any answer and goes off to the next question.  There’s no building upon a topic or exploration into something interesting if it comes up.  It’s simply a grind until the end that’s painful to listen to.  
Mike and The Dog were good because they were engaging and often had much more fun discussion.  Bart and Hahn are very different and I like them most of today’s radio shows.  

Lol - interviews literally are supposed to have prepared questions.  By you saying that Mike and the mad dog were fun days enough.  Those 2 dudes couldn’t be more full of themselves.  Bart is a complete idiot and all Hahn knows is knicks basketball.

14 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can only stand to listen to those two windbags (Carton & Roberts) for a minute or two... makes me realize how inferior they are compared to the glory days of Mike and The Mad Dog.

9 hours ago, heymangold said:

Lol - interviews literally are supposed to have prepared questions.  By you saying that Mike and the mad dog were fun days enough.  Those 2 dudes couldn’t be more full of themselves.  Bart is a complete idiot and all Hahn knows is knicks basketball.

Bart and Hahn is the worst over-the-air radio sports show on local radio.  Alan Hahn will start to ask Bart a question, and then go on-and-on for what seems like 10 minutes - re-asking the question over and over and then pontificating endlessly before poor Bart has a chance to answer.  Bart than has to rush his answer before Hahn will interrupt him in mid-sentence.

I wish Bart would just punch Hahn in the face to shut him up. 

Bart's been reduced to the idiot-side-kick role with his funny-voice that is not funny.  I can't imagine this is what Bart signed up for when he left WFAN and moved to ESPN.  Bart is great on the SNY Jets shows and looked like he would have  a promising career at ESPN.  I hope this pairing with Hahn has not ruined Bart's future in this business.

11 hours ago, football guy said:

Not a big sports radio guy but started listening to DiPietro & Rothenberg. Elite program

Rothenberg is an excellent radio guy. When I first heard him I could not stand him because his show was basically trash Rex and gloat about the Giants tradition. The more I would listen to him I came to appreciate the talent the guy has and can get past the Giant's lunacy because I would prob do the same with the Jets.

His Saturday show is actually very good.

DiPietro - I am so so. Still trying to get comfortable with him.  

On 2/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen, it's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning, I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station.  Now it's a disaster.

I have totally turned them off for god. Why in the world anyone true sports fan would kisten is beyond understanding. Such great stuff on YouTube for true Jets fans like @Green Bean@bla bla bla, Frankie From Flatbush, Buffalo Jets Fan, Richie from Jets Media, Jake Asman, Jeremy from Jets Chaos, Tyson Rouche, so much to choose from.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Carton is a lame 90’s Howard Stern impersonator.  Roberts is trash without Joe

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Rothenberg is an excellent radio guy. When I first heard him I could not stand him because his show was basically trash Rex and gloat about the Giants tradition. The more I would listen to him I came to appreciate the talent the guy has and can get past the Giant's lunacy because I would prob do the same with the Jets.

His Saturday show is actually very good.

DiPietro - I am so so. Still trying to get comfortable with him.  

I’ve been listening more to espn when I’m in the car and have to listen to something. They not only have jets and Knicks but I find their hosts less irritating for the most part

Francesa has a podcast now I just listen to that if I want sports radio.  Beningo’s segments on WFAN are now on YouTube.  Those 2 guys along with Mad Dog built WFAN in the 90’s