WFAN

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen, it's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning, I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station.  Now it's a disaster.

Agree.  There is no pure sports talk there, now.  It is often the same with ESPN.  It has become a variety show for self indulgent hots like Michael Kay.  I cant stand it for even five minutes now.  And like many of the other major "mainstream" mass media outlets it has also become a primary conduit for social politics and political agendas.  You cant get a rest from it anywhere or anytime unless you turn the power off, shut down your mobile device and do your own talking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Francesa was the best, ever since he retired the station is unlistenable now. Say what you want about big Mike and his takes but at least you knew he was going to be talking about sports!

Yeah. 70% Yankees, 10% Mets, 10% Giants, 5 % Jets (all negative) and 5% college hoops.  If you want to call that sports talk, fine with me.  I stopped listening in 2009.  Hours of discussion on who the Yankees 5th starter should be almost made me drive off the road.  The switch to Sirius XM for true sports discussion was the best thing I've done.  You can bounce around from Fantasy to NFL to NHL to actual games to Russo etc.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The reason they were talking about shot-gunning chili was because the Bengals fans were shot-gunning Skyline Chili to show their support for the team.  

My nephew lives in Cinncy, sends me bags of Skyline Chili with Spaghetti in it.

Yes, bags.  I told him to stop. 

image.png.cff5e10b19d8706ebe7e89a34ed6cbfb.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen, it's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning, I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station.  Now it's a disaster.

I agree with you.  I work from home, so Im only in the car for short trips, and in those cases, Id like to hear some sports talk when I tune to WFAN, and more often than not, you dont hear that.

5 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

The reason they were talking about shot-gunning chili was because the Bengals fans were shot-gunning Skyline Chili to show their support for the team.  I still listen but Carton changed the face of sports radio from sports talk to sports/talk/entertainment and ratings done lie.  I agree there should be more sports and less crap but money talks.

I am vexed by people shotgunning chocolate sauce on spaghetti noodles. How do you do that and not choke on the noodles? Getting to the bottom of this sounds like important radio and might save lives.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, munchmemory said:

For decades, in the car or otherwise, WFAN and Howard comprised about 90% of my radio listening.   Literally, other than if someone here posted that Francesa was going off on somebody/thing,  I have not tuned in WFAN in at least five years.  Looking at the current lineup of "talent" makes one wistful for college radio.

Me too. NOW, I haven't listened to Howard for more than 2 hours a month and I no longer stream WFAN.  I on occasion listen to Maddog on Sirius.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Francesa was the best, ever since he retired the station is unlistenable now. Say what you want about big Mike and his takes but at least you knew he was going to be talking about sports!

I remember him literally ROASTING Sanchez for lack of leadership.  When he ate that hot dog on the sidelines etc. He said Favre, Manning and the like would NEVER be seen doing that.  This board tore him a new one. All the Jet for life zombie walkers defending their rookie QB.

Mike F was on target.

He had the balls to call Norman a choker after 96 Masters, citing dozens of top meltdowns.  Got grilled for that too.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember him literally ROASTING Sanchez for lack of leadership.  When he ate that hot dog on the sidelines etc. He said Favre, Manning and the like would NEVER be seen doing that.  This board tore him a new one. All the Jet for life zombie walkers defending their rookie QB.

Mike F was on target.

He had the balls to call Norman a choker after 96 Masters, citing dozens of top meltdowns.  Got grilled for that too.

You've never been in the middle of a work project and needed to strap on a feed bag???

51 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Both as an Italian and a Chili aficionado,

Please let this be a joke

Oooooohhhhooooo no I kid you not.

I too am Italian and make an outstanding chili.

Had it once, has a lot of cinnamon in it.  Not good.

Also, the bottom of the bag is clear so you can see the ugly goo inside.  Maybe the Cincinatian's wanted to make sure they got the real thing? Weirdedst packaging I've ever seen.  Off-putting as it were.  

54 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Oooooohhhhooooo no I kid you not.

I too am Italian and make an outstanding chili.

Had it once, has a lot of cinnamon in it.  Not good.

Also, the bottom of the bag is clear so you can see the ugly goo inside.  Maybe the Cincinatian's wanted to make sure they got the real thing? Weirdedst packaging I've ever seen.  Off-putting as it were.  

To each their own, I guess but

madone…

I loved Mike and Dog. After Chris left, Mike became unlistenable. He became even more full of himself and constantly interrupted everyone. It was one thing to interrupt dumb callers.  It was another thing to act as if he knew more about football than Phil Simms on his Sunday show.

i generally enjoy ESPN more because you can hear their top analysts.  Loved Mike and Mike when they were a team. 

The best local guy by far is Brandon Tierney.  He is energetic, opinionated, and a huge Jets fan.

I wonder how many of you know that John Sterling had a sports talk show on WMCA in the 1960s?

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Me too. NOW, I haven't listened to Howard for more than 2 hours a month and I no longer stream WFAN.  I on occasion listen to Maddog on Sirius.  

I started listening to Howard in 1982 when he showed up on WNBC.  Listened every day, even when we moved out to CA,   I never went with him to Sirius. Still don't subscribe.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JoeFan said:

I loved Mike and Dog. After Chris left, Mike became unlistenable. He became even more full of himself and constantly interrupted everyone. It was one thing to interrupt dumb callers.  It was another thing to act as if he knew more about football than Phil Simms on his Sunday show.

i generally enjoy ESPN more because you can hear their top analysts.  Loved Mike and Mike when they were a team. 

The best local guy by far is Brandon Tierney.  He is energetic, opinionated, and a huge Jets fan.

I wonder how many of you know that John Sterling had a sports talk show on WMCA in the 1960s?

And if I am not mistaken did Islander games

2 hours ago, JoeFan said:

15 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

And if I am not mistaken did Islander games

John Sterling did WHA New York Raiders hockey games on WMCA. We used to listen to every game on the radio during dinner. We had an intercom system with an AM radio lol.  

His signature call was “RAIDER GOAL RAIDER GOAL RAIDER GOAL!!!”

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, section314 said:

Let's be honest........when Dog left, the FAN started the spiraling that led to the disaster it is now. He was the FAN, not his obese partner.

Yeah I was able to listen to the radio at work so I listened to those guys daily...when Dog left there was no one around to keep Francesa in check and his ego got out of control...a few years later is when I stopped listening to Mike.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I started listening to Howard in 1982 when he showed up on WNBC.  Listened every day, even when we moved out to CA,   I never went with him to Sirius. Still don't subscribe.

My father was a big Stern fan and he bought a lifetime subscription when he moved over...he got sick of him not long ago and gave me the tuner.  Sirius is not bad but like a suspected not worth paying for the radio. lol

• Upvote 1