WFAN

4 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

I’ve been listening more to espn when I’m in the car and have to listen to something. They not only have jets and Knicks but I find their hosts less irritating for the most part

Francesa has a podcast now I just listen to that if I want sports radio.  Beningo’s segments on WFAN are now on YouTube.  Those 2 guys along with Mad Dog built WFAN in the 90’s

While I know zoo about radio programming, get rid of Kay and Rosenberg and put Ryan Clark on with Lagrecca.

That would be a great sports radio show

• Upvote 1

In today's day and age where every car built  since the turn or the century is able to play streaming options, radio is really what you want it to be. There are podcasts that only talk about football, baseball, or whatever  sport you like. I actually find myself listening to a podcast with Dana Carvey and David Spade where tjey interview former SNL cast members and hosts (It's  called fly on the wall). You can also stream music of your favorite  band or type of music. Radio is ok as well but apps like Spotify are changing what everyone listens to. Broadcast Radio is going to go the way of the 8-Track. 

• Upvote 1

Stopped listening to sports radio a while back. Figured out nobody can watch all thse games, or really have a deeply-held opinion nor insight  about so many different things. Also  who watches the endless  pregame  and sports opinion shows. If Stephen A. or Skip find a cure for cancer, let us all know. 

Craig Carton is a convicted felon for gambling craziness. To attract the attention of the FBI and US attorney's offices, it had to be really bad. He would legally not be a credible witness in a court proceeding; why are radio and TV people lining up to give him shows?  Think how little radio and TV executives must think of their audience to hire such a flawed person. He made a complete mess of his life, and now he's back right at the place where that all happened. Little I have heard of FAN, it is filled with ads for gambling apps. How does that work long term? It's like putting an alcoholic behind the bar. That is playing with fire, not recovery. While I wish him non ill, probability is it is  not going to end well. And it's not like he has any brilliant insight, he's always been a knock off Howard Stern anyway. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

Rothenberg is an excellent radio guy. When I first heard him I could not stand him because his show was basically trash Rex and gloat about the Giants tradition. The more I would listen to him I came to appreciate the talent the guy has and can get past the Giant's lunacy because I would prob do the same with the Jets.

His Saturday show is actually very good.

DiPietro - I am so so. Still trying to get comfortable with him.  

I just like the comedy of it all lol- they crack me up 

12 hours ago, Dupe said:

Kay is clueless about how bad he is. For every interview he reads from a list of questions he prepared.  He doesn’t consider any answer and goes off to the next question.  There’s no building upon a topic or exploration into something interesting if it comes up.  It’s simply a grind until the end that’s painful to listen to.  
Mike and The Dog were good because they were engaging and often had much more fun discussion.  Bart and Hahn are very different and I like them most of today’s radio shows.  

Agree Kay sucks.  I cant find a single person that likes his show.  I've wondered who's nephew or pal he must be to retain his job.  There has to be some politics there. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Agree Kay sucks.  I cant find a single person that likes his show.  I've wondered who's nephew or pal he must be to retain his job.  There has to be some politics there. 

rumor is he is retiring from that show.

Once they decided to inject politics into the show - it went downhill quick.

LaGrecca should get the slot if tKay does retire and match him with the proper co host (not Rosenberg) and focus on sports.

Yeah it is hard to listen to now.

For the better part of 25 years WFAN was pretty consistent.

Imus in the morning

Midday whoever (although Joe and Evan did a pretty good job later on)

Mike and Dog

Sports 

Steve Sommers

Nowadays it is just a bunch of wannabes. Boomer and Gio is mediocre, Tiki and tierney is a no listen, Carton and Evan is a no listen and I don't even know who does the overnights now.

Local Sports talk is in a pretty sad state. I do occasionally listen to WIP because I like Cataldi, but it looks like he is retiring soon as well.

13 minutes ago, Jetluv58 said:
On 2/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, undertow said:

Somewhere around 10 years ago they started to really dumb down sports radio and ESPN debates shows but the nail in the coffin for me as far as consuming sports media was the lockdowns and Covid....I barely respect these guys opinions on sports the last thing I'm interested in is being lectured on public health and race relations.  

Expand  

Thinly-veiled politics. 

• Upvote 1

Lately I turn on First Take (Stephen A). Wed morns are good with Mad Dog on the show. Mike Francesca and Mad Dog will both be on First Take Feb 1st...could be classic! NFL playoffs is great time to tune in.....zero NBA takes.

In the whip I listen to Howard or NFL radio 88. Funny how Howard HATES sports but had real nice sit-downs with Mad Dog over the summer and Stephen A last week.

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

rumor is he is retiring from that show.

Once they decided to inject politics into the show - it went downhill quick.

LaGrecca should get the slot if tKay does retire and match him with the proper co host (not Rosenberg) and focus on sports.

The politics comes from upstairs.  The guys behind the microphone just follow the tide as it flows down.  Not so much that I have objections to any given progressive or conservative ideals, but I tune in for sports and not politics.  There is no way to get away from it short of total and complete voluntary abstinence of the legacy media.  Then I'd miss the games.  Even if you go to the stadium and leave the TV and radio off, they corporate powers get their digs in with the items they promote aside from the ball game. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not sure if anyone still listens to it.  The only time I ever turn it on is for short trips in the car when running errands.  But even for that short amount of time I can't bare to listen, it's so awful.  Probably 75% of the time I tune in they're not even talking about sports.  This morning, I heard Gio talk to Boomer about shotgunning chili.  I immediately turned the radio off.  Almost every time I turn on Carton/Roberts it's even worse.  Who in the world listens to this crap?  And if people aren't listening, what is management doing?  I used to really enjoy the station.  Now it's a disaster.

I listen to podcasts now.  I have no stomach for this crap.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I was just in the car running an errand and turned on WFAN.  Carton and Roberts were on. 

Were they talking NY Jets and Aaron Rodgers?  Nope!

Below is a list of topics I heard:

Evan talked about how he was working on his free throws (while Carton was mocking him)

Evan then made fun of Carton for eating Italian Ices while on the air. 

Then Evan asked Craig what he thought of World Baseball Classic uniforms.  

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I was just in the car running an errand and turned on WFAN.  Carton and Roberts were on. 

Evan talked about how he was working on his free throws (while Carton was mocking him)

The worst

• Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Too bad you missed their 30 mins on the Oscar Freak Show.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They now classify themselves as “entertainers”. Gio called himself that last week. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

They certainly can't classify themselves as "self-aware".

There are some really good daily NY Jets podcast.  Just listen to those on errands.  They're about 20 minutes a day.  Perfect for what you're taking about.

I used to suffer through WFAN too - in exactly the situation you're talking about.  Not any more!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Stopped listening to sports radio a while back. Figured out nobody can watch all thse games, or really have a deeply-held opinion nor insight  about so many different things. Also  who watches the endless  pregame  and sports opinion shows. If Stephen A. or Skip find a cure for cancer, let us all know. 
Craig Carton is a convicted felon for gambling craziness. To attract the attention of the FBI and US attorney's offices, it had to be really bad. He would legally not be a credible witness in a court proceeding; why are radio and TV people lining up to give him shows?  Think how little radio and TV executives must think of their audience to hire such a flawed person. He made a complete mess of his life, and now he's back right at the place where that all happened. Little I have heard of FAN, it is filled with ads for gambling apps. How does that work long term? It's like putting an alcoholic behind the bar. That is playing with fire, not recovery. While I wish him non ill, probability is it is  not going to end well. And it's not like he has any brilliant insight, he's always been a knock off Howard Stern anyway. 

This is such a trash take.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • WTF? 2

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

WFAN is unlistenable. Often inject their political views. Total garbage. With true fans creating YouTube content there is such little to no reason to listen @bla bla bla @Green Bean  

at least 5 yrs since I listened in there.  Politics?  Geez...  it was bad enough.   They should just  replace the show with endless Imus-in-the-Morning reruns and call it a day.

Truth is most of these on air personalities know little more than you on the topic they are discussing.  Like someone already mentioned, there is a myriad of podcasts now that you can listen to on demand without be subjected to Evan and Carton talking about Italian Ices.  

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Who injects their political views?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Boomer and Carton and their fawning over Chris Christi. The FAN actually having Chris Christi host. While it is not blatant, it is subtle. Don't like it if it's Christi or AOC or any other crook self serving politician. No place for it on sports radio. ESPN is just as bad with Steven A, Skip Bayless and others. YouTube content makers 100% for me. @Blah! Blah! Blah! @Green Bean

51 minutes ago, Dcat said:

at least 5 yrs since I listened in there.  Politics?  Geez...  it was bad enough.   They should just  replace the show with endless Imus-in-the-Morning reruns and call it a day.

DCat, I am an older fan, I grew up on Sport Center and WFAN. Would sneak listening in class and at work. Every so often, I'm in a situation where the only TV is showing Sport Center or a radio with the FAN on. It takes me such little time to be totally turned off by it. I don't know how anyone tunes in when there is such good stuff (for every sport) on YouTube , Podcasts, or other apps

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Why do you keep tuning in? Makes no sense.

21 minutes ago, heymangold said:

In fairness to these hosts, wtf else do you want them to talk about?  How long do you want them to keep saying,  OHHH AR HASNT MADE A DECISION YET!! 

it’s insufferable listening to this same nonsense about the jets and Rodgers.

It’s annoying because it’s not true and I’m sure they know this

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

DCat, I am an older fan, I grew up on Sport Center and WFAN. Would sneak listening in class and at work. Every so often, I'm in a situation where the only TV is showing Sport Center or a radio with the FAN on. It takes me such little time to be totally turned off by it. I don't know how anyone tunes in when there is such good stuff (for every sport) on YouTube , Podcasts, or other apps

I also like the NFL network on serius.  MLB on NY sports radio is frustrating for Mets fans, let alone that NY Sports radio blows in general, so I bailed on that as long as I have serius/xm in the car. 

20 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Boomer and Carton and their fawning over Chris Christi. The FAN actually having Chris Christi host. While it is not blatant, it is subtle. Don't like it if it's Christi or AOC or any other crook self serving politician. No place for it on sports radio. ESPN is just as bad with Steven A, Skip Bayless and others. YouTube content makers 100% for me. @Blah! Blah! Blah! @Green Bean

My favorite Chris Christie moment:

shut them beaches down! 
DDxAtHFUwAAFy-I?format=jpg&name=900x900

1500151610-1500151610-3661.jpg

Tells you just how bad the Michael Kay show is that they get trounced in the ratings every month by Carton/ Roberts.By the way, politics is the way of life on ESPN radio. The other day, Don or Michael used the term” homeless man.” Mr.Woke, Peter, quickly corrected him with “unhoused gentleman.”?  Kid you not.