Robert Woods to Titans

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

They should re-sign Crowder, a very dependable WR when healthy. 

Not practical or fiscally prudent Bronx.

Crowder is good for 500 to 850 yards and 5 touchdowns a season.

Cole is good  for 450 to 750 yards and 4 touchdowns a season.

Crowder will be looking for a 3 Year Deal at 10 Million per Year with the first two years guaranteed.

Cole can be signed to a 1 year contract for 3 Million plus Incentives for play in the Post Season which is highly unlikely.

Neither of these guys are a long term solution. They will be cut when Zach connects up with the young receivers

What they would be useful for is taking a roster spot if the Jets draft a second Later Round WR who is stashed on the Practice Squad. Crowder is too expensive for that task and might not even been interested in it.

15 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

I understand going young draft Wilson at 10 great.  How many posters are betting on Carl Lawson  to get it back off an Achilles at edge? 

get Zach Wilson weapons period 

Last time I checked we signed two good tight ends.  We will also draft a WR most likely at 10.  I also would be surprised if we drafted another weapon in the second or third round 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Last time I checked we signed two good tight ends.  We will also draft a WR most likely at 10.  I also would be surprised if we drafted another weapon in the second or third round 

Good points remember the afc is loaded w players everywhere…..

6 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

Good points remember the afc is loaded w players everywhere…..

Ok but we can’t control other teams moves just focus on us.  Right now you gotta be happy what we have done this off-season so far.  We also have a ton of picks to add good talent on rookie deals which will help us cap wise in the long run

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Ok but we can’t control other teams moves just focus on us.  Right now you gotta be happy what we have done this off-season so far.  We also have a ton of picks to add good talent on rookie deals which will help us cap wise in the long run

I hear ya…..but getting garret wilson at 10 will this move the needle? This team needs playmakers period.  That’s what wins in this league.  Robert woods was a slam dunk 

13 minutes ago, Titan24 said:

I hear ya…..but getting garret wilson at 10 will this move the needle? This team needs playmakers period.  That’s what wins in this league.  Robert woods was a slam dunk 

If he's such a good playmaker in his prime why did the rams unload him for practically nothing?

Why did no other nfl team offer more? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Titan24 said:

Joe Douglas addressed the matter of Denzel Mims at the Combine a few weeks ago. Douglas stated the Jets were KEEPING and PLAYING Denzel in 2022. In all likelihood the Jets will draft at least one WR next month. Add that to the exist WR Corp of Davis, Moore, Berrios and how many snaps would a guy like Wood actually see if the Jets did acquire him ? It makes far more sense to sign a guy like Keelan Cole to a one year deal. Cole has been playing for Mike LaFleur. But even signing Cole reaps marginal benefit.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

He's 30, has a fat contract and is coming off an ACL injury.

Pass.

Contract isn’t bad and he was killing it before the injury.

I suggested Woods a month ago as a cheap trade target. Wish we did this. Would have been a better move than Amari Cooper. 

Joe Douglas addressed the matter of Denzel Mims at the Combine a few weeks ago. Douglas stated the Jets were KEEPING and PLAYING Denzel in 2022. In all likelihood the Jets will draft at least one WR next month. Add that to the exist WR Corp of Davis, Moore, Berrios and how many snaps would a guy like Wood actually see if the Jets did acquire him ? It makes far more sense to sign a guy like Keelan Cole to a one year deal. Cole has been playing for Mike LaFleur for 2 years. But even signing Cole reaps marginal benefit.

In other words, the good receiver wouldn’t get a lot of snaps in rotation with the crap players we have, so let’s sign another crappy guy like Cole. He’ll be used to less reps because he knows he sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • WTF? 1

44 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If he's such a good playmaker in his prime why did the rams unload him for practically nothing?

Why did no other nfl team offer more? 

Money.

They just paid Allen Robinson and extended Matthew Stafford for $160M.

Woods is a very good player and would have been a good fit here. Great team guy, a leader, and he’s not only a good downfield threat he’s a very willing blocker. Definitely a JD/Saleh type guy. But the money isn’t insignificant and yes, he’s coming off an injury. 

We don't have the cap room at this point.  You would need to make multiple cuts and restructure multiple contracts to fit that guy in (and then you mortgage the future on a dubious investment, like the previous crappy GM did with multiple players and which directly contributed to the previous 3 years of fun and joy as a Jets fan). 

43 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Contract isn’t bad and he was killing it before the injury.

I suggested Woods a month ago as a cheap trade target. Wish we did this. Would have been a better move than Amari Cooper. 

Reasonable people can disagree.

I was all about Coop since he's 27 and healthy. Yes, his contract was crazy, but I did feel like we'd get 2-3 good years out of him.

Going to be interesting to see what we do considering it appears we've left a lot of flexibility this year to make a move. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Titan24 said:

Why and how is Robert Woods, a 30 years old WR with a torn knee a slam dunk as the 4h WR on a team that will rarely deploy more than 3 WRs?  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastMole said:

Not practical or fiscally prudent Bronx.

Crowder is good for 500 to 850 yards and 5 touchdowns a season.

Cole is good  for 450 to 750 yards and 4 touchdowns a season.

Crowder will be looking for a 3 Year Deal at 10 Million per Year with the first two years guaranteed.

Cole can be signed to a 1 year contract for 3 Million plus Incentives for play in the Post Season which is highly unlikely.

Neither of these guys are a long term solution. They will be cut when Zach connects up with the young receivers

What they would be useful for is taking a roster spot if the Jets draft a second Later Round WR who is stashed on the Practice Squad. Crowder is too expensive for that task and might not even been interested in it.

I've little concern it'd happen, but if Douglas gives Crowder 2 years guaranteed at $10MM someone should look inside his head to see if there are still brains in there. 

If he refused to pay for 1 final season at $10MM for Crowder following a 55-60 yard/game season last year, then a year later - after a 35-40 yard/game season, missing 5 games and almost all of a 6th - I definitely don't see them locking themselves into 2 more years at that pricetag. I'd be supportive of Crowder's return for 2022 but not under anywhere near those terms.

They've just added 2 TEs and there's a good chance they'll draft a 3rd. I think just how much they want to drive the ball to the TEs is still getting overlooked, because we've gotten so used to awful TEs we almost forget TEs don't need to be mere afterthoughts. In fully revamping the TE corps, the ball won't have to be forced to a wideout nearly the same as they had to last year, and - while depth is always a good thing - they'll surely have 3 WRs on the field a lot less this year anyway.

They could (and likely will) still add another veteran WR, with the idea of drafting one more (possibly two) as well. But they don't need the next veteran WR pickup to be one of their top 3 this year (let alone for the next 2 seasons guaranteed). So a veteran needn't be a noticeable investment unless it was a big name, which they've clearly shown they're not adding this offseason.

If they just want to make sure they have another depth slot receiver for the year, heading into the draft, I'd sooner sign someone like Beasley. At 33 he'd only get 1 year guaranteed, and it's doubtful he could get $10MM even for that 1 year; plus he's not an on-field downgrade from Crowder and is off the field to injury far less, too. But someone like him whom they're not tied to for >1 year or for more than $5MM; a Beasley or an even lower cost like Humphries or similar; or an outside shot at a one-time star who's a shell of his former self, if the price is low enough (e.g. Julio, Green, Hilton, etc.). Just a 3rd/4th WR on the field sometimes, who's capable of getting open enough (without dropping it) to move the chains.

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

In other words, the good receiver wouldn’t get a lot of snaps in rotation with the crap players we have, so let’s sign another crappy guy like Cole. He’ll be used to less reps because he knows he sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I'm not saying the Jets have to, or even should, re-sign Keelan Cole but Cole does have familiarity with the system which Wood does not. The question is this how is Robert Wood so good when the Rams went chasing after Allen Robinson only to give Wood his walking papers after they inked Robinson ? Zach should be getting the reps with the players he will be on the field with into the future not a journeyman who will move on in a couple of seasons. That's why the Jets should be drafting those players rather than signing them.

1 hour ago, WestCoastMole said:

Joe Douglas addressed the matter of Denzel Mims at the Combine a few weeks ago. Douglas stated the Jets were KEEPING and PLAYING Denzel in 2022. In all likelihood the Jets will draft at least one WR next month. Add that to the exist WR Corp of Davis, Moore, Berrios and how many snaps would a guy like Wood actually see if the Jets did acquire him ? It makes far more sense to sign a guy like Keelan Cole to a one year deal. Cole has been playing for Mike LaFleur for 2 years. But even signing Cole reaps marginal benefit.

When else did he play for LaFleur before 2021?

Anyway, I didn't get the idea they thought much of Cole this year. They paid him $5MM last year, and were confident enough in what they thought he'd bring to the table that they were comfortable risking losing Crowder by giving him that 50% pay cut ultimatum.

Then with all the WR injuries they had, out of this desperation technically Cole started 15 games, and >90% of the team's snaps on passing downs (when he was active), yet they still barely threw his way 50x over that span (catching just 28 passes all year long). So either they didn't design-call his number often, or they did call his number and Wilson/others had to go to their next option because he was always covered. We could see on replays he really didn't get separation.

They barely lined him up in the slot like Jacksonville did, though, and he possesses neither the extreme height/reach, jump-ball ups, nor speed to do much damage out wide. But I guess at least you know he knows the precious route trees for >1 WR position that Mims couldn't memorize lol. So as a backup that has some value, but agree it'd still be marginal benefit at that. Cole also averaged just under 20 yards on his 7 KORs; bleh.

We've had worse than Cole, of course, but even in the cheapies price range I think there are better options out there than rushing to ink a 29 year-old Cole, who's coming off a 2-catch/game season as a starter. So I'd rather they bring in some new meat. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

When else did he play for LaFleur before 2021?

He didn't but one year under LaFleur is a heck of alot better than no years under LeFleur. At least with one year the guy has some idea of what's in the Playbook.

Anyway, I didn't get the idea they thought much of Cole this year. They paid him $5MM last year, and were confident enough in what they thought he'd bring to the table that they were comfortable risking losing Crowder by giving him that 50% pay cut ultimatum.

They obviously had come to the conclusion that Crowder's value had diminished but not to the point of cutting him outright. They felt it was worth while for the team to keep him around at a reduced price. If he chose to walk the team wound up none the worse

Then with all the WR injuries they had, out of this desperation technically Cole started 15 games, and >90% of the team's snaps on passing downs (when he was active), yet they still barely threw his way 50x over that span (catching just 28 passes all year long). So either they didn't design-call his number often, or they did call his number and Wilson/others had to go to their next option because he was always covered. We could see on replays he really didn't get separation.

Coles started in 11 Games he played in 15 Games. His performance in those games fit the range of performance that I outlined. Was there any reason to expect a break out performance from what Cole racked up with Jacksonville ?

They barely lined him up in the slot like Jacksonville did, though, and he possesses neither the extreme height/reach, jump-ball ups, nor speed to do much damage out wide. But I guess at least you know he knows the precious route trees for >1 WR position that Mims couldn't memorize lol. So as a backup that has some value, but agree it'd still be marginal benefit at that. Cole also averaged just under 20 yards on his 7 KORs; bleh.

Joe Douglas seems to think that Mims will master the mental aspects of the game that he was lacking last year. Douglas spoke to that at the Combine Presser. He stated that Mims has applied himself and is working hard this offseason.

We've had worse than Cole, of course, but even in the cheapies price range I think there are better options out there than rushing to ink a 29 year-old Cole, who's coming off a 2-catch/game season as a starter. So I'd rather they bring in some new meat. 

Wouldn't we all, if it was only as easy walking up to the NFL Player Vending Machine select the position and experience level insert the money and pressing 'VEND' button.

But that brings us back to the original point of the thread, Robert Woods. Specifically why should the Jets spend money and draft picks to acquire this guy. Last week Jet Fans were clamoring for Allen Robinson. The Rams wound up snagging him only to flip Woods. And now the same people that wanted Robinson last week are (or were) tooting their horns for Woods up through Saturday. The guy LA deemed expendable. The Jets are trying to build for long term success but at least some of the Fan Base seems stuck on the Maccagnon petulance.

6 hours ago, Morrissey said:

Doesn't make sense for the Jets spend big on another veteran WR when we have Cory Davis. Jets will be drafting a WR in 1st round this year. Would still bring in a cheaper veteran like say A.J. Green.

Lol @ AJ Green. I bet he’d love to come play for JDs team. 

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would they feel the need to pay alien Robinson coming off a bad year when they already had Woods? 

If woods is still so good,  the rams shouldn't be looking to replace him.  

Could be wrong but there's a chance woods isn't even ready week 1

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Why would they feel the need to pay alien Robinson coming off a bad year when they already had Woods? 

If woods is still so good,  the rams shouldn't be looking to replace him.  

Woods is still good. But I believe Robinson is 2 1/2 years younger, about $1.5M cheaper (per year) and not coming off an injury. I think Woods was also do a bonus (roster bonus?).