Becton carrying 400 lbs 40 feet article and video

Mekhi Becton has had his injury troubles, but he looks ready to roll already in the NFL offseason.

The polarizing Jets tackle (soon to be right tackle?) was seen in another workout video on Saturday, this time casually walking back and forth across a gym while carrying 200 pounds in weights in each hand. Earlier this week, Becton was benching 400 pounds while lying on the ground.

Becton injured his knee in Gang Green’s season opener last year, and head coach Robert Saleh indicated that the former first-round pick will have to navigate the challenges of maintaining an ideal weight for a player of his size. Saleh then said after the season that Becton would have to win his left tackle job back from Noah Fant, who took Becton’s place after surgery sidelined him after his Week 1 injury.

Jets GM Joe Douglas said the expectation was for Becton to be a starter next season, and it looks like Becton is making sure he will be ready for a bounceback season. He even was wearing a sweatshirt that said “Big Bust” during his latest workout, perhaps sporting some motivation heading into his third NFL season.

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/jets/jets-mekhi-becton-casually-carrying-over-400-pounds

Video at the link

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Becton injured his knee in Gang Green’s season opener last year, and head coach Robert Saleh indicated that the former first-round pick will have to navigate the challenges of maintaining an ideal weight for a player of his size. Saleh then said after the season that Becton would have to win his left tackle job back from Noah Fant, who took Becton’s place after surgery sidelined him after his Week 1 injury.

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/jets/jets-mekhi-becton-casually-carrying-over-400-pounds

Video at the link

sloppy wfan writer is sloppy

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

For a minute there I thought he was tipping the scales at 400 pounds

At first glance this is what I saw, too. 

Anything else promising in the article, beyond correcting that misread of mine, is gravy (which Becton promptly drank, making it short-lived anyway).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Exactly what I thought.  If Becton weighed 400 lbs right now then we're going OT at 4 AND 10.

draft Danny Filellia then you would only need a center with those 2 fatties on each side. 

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

All jokes aside, I hope he figures out how to stay healthy all year.

Agree 100%

Just now, CanadienJetsFan said:

And NO, we’re not drafting a OL at 4.

The probability is much higher than you think.

Ekwonu is the 2nd best player in this Draft and the Jets have 1 somewhat unreliable starting-caliber OT (Becton) under contract for 2023.   JD was lucky to have Fant, Becton, Moses, McDermott (who played 6 games, starting 3 last year) in 2021.  This year he has Fant, Becton, McDermott.  Next year he has Becton, McDermott.  And, there's a rumor that JD value offensive line.  Not sure where I heard that or saw that. ;)

• Upvote 2

Maxed out Mekhi is Trent Williams - I loved the guy after his rookie year, still do, but certainly wary of him eating himself out of the league.

He has to keep this fire lit.  Wear the Big Bust sweatshirt for the rest of your life if you have to.  He thought he arrived and started going Mo Wilkerson last year.  Reports were he was 400 lbs after his knee injury last year, terrible.

11 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Maxed out Mekhi is Trent Williams - I loved the guy after his rookie year, still do, but certainly wary of him eating himself out of the league.

He has to keep this fire lit.  Wear the Big Bust sweatshirt for the rest of your life if you have to.  He thought he arrived and started going Mo Wilkerson last year.  Reports were he was 400 lbs after his knee injury last year, terrible.

The big concern (pun intended) is what kind of 2nd contract might you offer this guy?  If Mo Wilkerson took the money and ran, I can only imagine what might happen with Becton.  Right now we're seeing a guy working towards a contract/5th year option.  He's motivated right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm not interested in how much weight he can lift. I'm interested in how much weight he carries on his frame. 

Strength will never be an issue for him. Get under 350lbs and all is right...

Notice the combines don't have a "How much can you carry" across the floor test.  The game is strength, speed and agility. Not walk with weights.  I HOPE this kid makes it.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree 100%

The probability is much higher than you think.

Ekwonu is the 2nd best player in this Draft and the Jets have 1 somewhat unreliable starting-caliber OT (Becton) under contract for 2023.   JD was lucky to have Fant, Becton, Moses, McDermott (who played 6 games, starting 3 last year) in 2021.  This year he has Fant, Becton, McDermott.  Next year he has Becton, McDermott.  And, there's a rumor that JD value offensive line.  Not sure where I heard that or saw that. ;)

No chance. You can’t pick a guy ( who let’s face it) can be a day 1 starter only to sit on the bench for “Becton Insurance “

it’s a waste of a premium pick, especially since we need starters in the DE or CB and or WR area.

JD will definitely pick another tackle but it’ll be in the later rounds.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

No chance. You can’t pick a guy ( who let’s face it) can be a day 1 starter only to sit on the bench for “Becton Insurance “

it’s a waste of a premium pick, especially since we need starters in the DE or CB and or WR area.

JD will definitely pick another tackle but it’ll be in the later rounds.

I want Fant (who is in the final year of his deal) in the Morgan Moses role for 2022.  We have nobody like Morgan Moses this year.

It's not the rookie who is the insurance policy, it's Fant (who will be 30 yrs old at the start of the season).

7 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Notice the combines don't have a "How much can you carry" across the floor test.  The game is strength, speed and agility. Not walk with weights.  I HOPE this kid makes it.

Exercises to develop muscle strength for both the sheer advantage of strength and to provide joints and tendons protection from injury is a completely different animal. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I want Fant (who is in the final year of his deal) in the Morgan Moses role for 2022.  We have nobody like Morgan Moses this year.

It's not the rookie who is the insurance policy, it's Fant (who will be 30 yrs old at the start of the season).

Fant is actually a good tackle. His stats are sound. Why can’t he be the starter for the next few years?

The Ram LT just retired what at 50?

• Upvote 1