Merged Becton Threads

On 6/14/2022 at 3:30 PM, Beerfish said:

The issue with Becton and imo this will be on going is not that he has a huge upper body it is that his lower body is not thick enough to support that upper body.

Also re lifting the pinky, perhaps he is British royalty you bunch of nit pickers!

I actually think that last year your statement would have been correct, however if you look at that pic, I believe his legs actually look bigger than last year. Obviously I have no clue if that is true, just looks that way from the posted picture.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Could you imagine today's generation being drafted in 1942?  We'd be speaking Russian or German.

If today's generation were squating in tents with barely enough food to make it through the day they would be tough as nails.  On the other side of the coin a 14 year old with the nuclear codes could push a button today and wipe out that generation in a couple of hours. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

The Becton return to greatness tour is going to be epic, too bad the joy will only be shared by a select few of true believers.

@freestater - say your penance and you can join us...I know you love a great reunion tour/party.

Of course I'll be joining the party. 

Especially after putting in all that hard work, motivating the youngster.

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Brown is the closest I guess.He’s battled weight and motivation issues too.

Bryant Mckinnie too I guess

I think that motivation is not at its best when you try to work out a 375 lbs plus body. I wonder if perhaps there such a thing as too big to play football (except for very rare cases).  I cant fathom what it feels like.

14 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

I think that motivation is not at its best when you try to work out a 375 lbs plus body. I wonder if perhaps there such a thing as too big to play football (except for very rare cases).  I cant fathom what it feels like.

He’s got natural athletic ability but compensating for that much weight has a breaking point. 40 days is a lot of time for this to go either way. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

Would cost us an extra $6M cap hit if he is cut.  I don't see that is a realistic possibility.  $5M cap hit if he is on the roster, $11M hit if he is cut.  And a huge hole at the tackle spot;  while using the $6M that we could use today to sign Reiff on a bus ticket for Mekhi instead. 

Does not make sense.

Didn’t hear it live so was wondering if anyone else did. 

Was thinking how sensitive we as a society are to fat shaming.   Our country is obese yet we can’t say anything about it.   COVID hit the obese hard and yet nobody could say maintaining a healthy regimen of diet and exercise would be one of the best things to do to help fight the symptoms of the virus.   Obesity puts a person at risk for many ailments and diseases yet health insurance companies can’t rate people for being obese, they pay the same rates even though it is almost guaranteed they will require more services.  
I get it all it is a sensitive subject.   Having said all that if your job is a professional athlete I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect you to show up at a good weight to perform your job.   If you don’t I think it is perfectly fair for fans, media, etc to hold you accountable and make judgments about your discipline and commitment.   Doesn’t make any of us bad people.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Was thinking how sensitive we as a society are to fat shaming.   Our country is obese yet we can’t say anything about it.   COVID hit the obese hard and yet nobody could say maintaining a healthy regimen of diet and exercise would be one of the best things to do to help fight the symptoms of the virus.   Obesity puts a person at risk for many ailments and diseases yet health insurance companies can’t rate people for being obese, they pay the same rates even though it is almost guaranteed they will require more services.  
I get it all it is a sensitive subject.   Having said all that if your job is a professional athlete I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect you to show up at a good weight to perform your job.   If you don’t I think it is perfectly fair for fans, media, etc to hold you accountable and make judgments about your discipline and commitment.   Doesn’t make any of us bad people.  

I think there is a big difference between fat shaming, and expressing genuine concern for the health of a friend or family member who is overweight.  One is a frank discussion in private, potentially with a medical professional, the other is simply to embarrass or put down the other party. 

I get it, Mekhi is a public figure, and the rules are a bit different for him.  Which is why I would urge him to stay off social media and not respond to the fat shaming.   Just work his ass off for the next 6 weeks, show up to camp at a good weight and ready to play.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Heard it live and was surprised he said it. Claims without a doubt becton is 395 or higher.

said if he does not drop 30 by camp, he could be cut.

don’t agree that they would, but he did state it on air

Boomer is getting that from the building I’d imagine. Saleh speaking about him his veins were popping in his head. I mean, it doesn’t seem good. There’s always the chance he gains more over the time away now, especially if he’s going back to Texas or wherever. At the weight and condition he’s at now he can’t play.

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Becton would basically need to quit over the next month and show up completely out of shape for him to be cut.  Boomer is just saying sh*t to be controversial. 

Even if the FO was so done with Becton that they’d even think of cutting him he would be traded first.  There would be a line of teams willing to give up picks for him. 

Does boomer have a reputation for saying crap just to stir the pot?  If so I don't know about it. 

But on trade lololol... who TF is going to take him. His durability is in the gutter and if the FO does talk about trade that will be a giant red flag for maturity and commitment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

25 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Are we at all concerned that Becton labored to take 1 step to the podium for the press conference?

There's no way his knee is "structurally sound" or fully healed.

As @Spoot-Face pointed out that first step up with full weight bearing on the knee was concerning. I can give a sh*t about his weight, from someone who had severe lower leg injuries that is a scary sight. I am no way trying to be an alarmist but I have experienced and seen that type of step too many times in my years of rehab. 

Boomer is full of sh*t, Jets wont cut him but even if he is that weight, Becton said he would be a full participant in training camp?  Opening day is when?  Sept?  

If his knee is fully healed and structurally stable and he is really out to prove the haters wrong, that's plenty of time to get down to an appropriate playing weight and be ready to roll week 1, which is all that matters.  Only person who can control that is Mekhi, so we'll see what kind of commitment he has and if he's willing to put in the work to back up the talk. 

I'm betting he will and the pancaking will be on!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Hard to know what's behind people's eating disorders.  For some people it's almost impossible to get it under control.  Maybe no different than alcohol or drug addiction.  

I'm sure it's not a choice to be morbidly obese and it's probably not as simple as just a choice to fix it.  I doubt fat shamming is going to solve it but I think we should try.  

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

As @Spoot-Face pointed out that first step up with full weight bearing on the knee was concerning. I can give a sh*t about his weight, from someone who had severe lower leg injuries that is scary sight. I am no way trying to be an alarmist but I have experienced and seen that type of step too many times in my years of rehab. 

Thanks FTL. You are not alarmist, 9 months in and still taking a step like that is significantly concerning.

Dodging weight and conditioning questions is significantly concerning.

Time is running out, he's basically got a month and a half. Talking about now how he's gonna start eating right and drinking water to lose weight with 6 weeks left! Very concerning...

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Hard to know what's behind people's eating disorders.  For some people it's almost impossible to get it under control.  Maybe no different than alcohol or drug addiction.  

I'm sure it's not a choice to be morbidly obese and it's probably not as simple as just a choice to fix it.  I doubt fat shamming is going to solve it but I think we should try.  

Don’t keep snacks in the house and have someone monitor him/private chef. You would think the Jets have offered assistance as well.

16 hours ago, AZSOJ said:

I don't GARA about his T-sh*t, his comments - STFU and get on the field an show me.  Otherwise - the "B" maybe appropriate. 

I think his point was he doesn’t GARA what you think.  That he’s not B so STFU, wait and see

Good for him

• Thumb Down 1

29 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

As @Spoot-Face pointed out that first step up with full weight bearing on the knee was concerning. I can give a sh*t about his weight, from someone who had severe lower leg injuries that is a scary sight. I am no way trying to be an alarmist but I have experienced and seen that type of step too many times in my years of rehab. 

To be fair, I'm not even sure if that was the same knee he got injured (I can't remember). For all I know, he struggled with that step up because either: fat, lazy, or tired.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

To be fair, I'm not even sure if that was the same knee he got injured (I can't remember). For all I know, he struggled with that step up because either: fat, lazy, or tired.

It was his right knee that was injured that step putting full weight bearing on it looked shaky as hell. Hopefully it was because he was tired and knee was maybe sore. I hope. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Becton hates Cimini to the core.  If I were Rich , I’d stay away when he’s in a bad mood

Where did you get that from?  Is it something you picked up on in interviews or is it more public? 

52 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Boomer is full of sh*t, Jets wont cut him but even if he is that weight, Becton said he would be a full participant in training camp?  Opening day is when?  Sept?  

If his knee is fully healed and structurally stable and he is really out to prove the haters wrong, that's plenty of time to get down to an appropriate playing weight and be ready to roll week 1, which is all that matters.  Only person who can control that is Mekhi, so we'll see what kind of commitment he has and if he's willing to put in the work to back up the talk. 

I'm betting he will and the pancaking will be on!

What is this nonsense about proving "haters" whoever they are wrong?  The guy has a boss in Saleh and Douglas.  He has a responsability to himself and his team mates if and when he's ready to go. 

You hope as a professional football player he has a commitment to being a pro and if he's lucky enjoying being a pro.  This proving your haters wrong seems like the worst of all motivations.  He's got a great job that pays well playing a kids game.  It's a hard job but if you have the ability and you recognize the opportunity that's great  motivation. 

Nobody hates Becton.  As Jets fans we know he's a piece of the success or failure of this team.  All we want is a professional football player to at least try and reach his potential and help the team win.  There's frustration because there's doubt.  Hate is crazy talk.  

Boomer doesn't strike me as a liar.  It doesn't matter, Becton has complete control over the Becton narative.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, PorP said:

Where did you get that from?  Is it something you picked up on in interviews or is it more public? 

Well, you can definitely detect it during the presser, if you pay close attention.  But, Becton has been nasty to him on Twitter, and that’s being kind. Revis hated Cimini too, but this is a different level 

• Upvote 2