Merged Becton Threads

FWIW we are ALL rooting for Becton to get in shape and dominate the NFL no one is actively rooting for the guy to fail that's ridiculous. That being said there are plenty of reasons to doubt his dedication and work ethic and the possible problems his weight may cause. 

I'm not sure the injury he sustained last year was only from one incident (the rolling over his back side by another player) . Becton had numerous issues going on with his knee one was a Dislocated Knee Cap and the other a strained MCL both of these were obviously from getting rolled on since you can't play with either but the removal of damaged cartilage from his knee usually comes from wear and tear over time especially when its described as "numerous loose bodies of cartilage" If you are shredding cartilage that means high impact, common sense tells you being grossly overweight is not helping matters. 

There is no doubt Becton is a big guy but there is no reason whatsoever why he could not get down to a playing weight between 340-350 which will still give him plenty of weight to push people around at will while making him quicker to deal with speed rushers and take pressure off his damaged knee . Cartilage does not grow back its not a good long term thing to keep putting pressure with being overweight there is no way in hell Doctors and trainers are not relaying this information to Becton and when a trainer says he's not over 400 pounds that's scary because as far as we know the most he weighed playing the game was in the 370 range so why the 400 reference ??

I'm hoping all the guessing about his weight is wrong but its pretty telling when no one is willing to say what he weighs. If he was 350 everyone involved would be praising him and willing to divulge such information, but they are not, which should help everyone read between the lines.

I'm pulling for him but we wont know anything about him or whether he can perform until training camp starts, that's when the real info comes out lets hope its good news and Becton becomes the road grader we need at RT to pave the way for our running game.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets threw the gauntlet down as nice as they could publicly. Privately I’m sure was a different story. He’s got until camp it sounds like to figure out how he wants his career to go. He’s got guaranteed money this year and next if that’s all he’s worried about. Hopefully his support system is encouraging him to get in shape rather than enable.

• Upvote 2

On 6/21/2022 at 9:09 AM, ScarletKnight89 said:

I kinda believe it. The way Becton was talking in his initial press conference about how it is easy for him to lose weight by simply drinking a lot of water, combined with the Jets clearly not being thrilled with his weight, makes me think this is likely true. 

saleh put becton on notice publicly at the end of last season on how important this year will be for him..

he shows up after missing voluntary workouts in a "look at me" t shirt looking visibly pudgy at best..

remember his video clowning around with teammates in front of a weight room mirror around this time last year?!

dude looked like the incredible hulk in comparison to today..

IMHO becton will not be trusted with wilson's blindside while fant is on the roster so i hope he's been working on his footwork at RT..

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2022 at 9:10 AM, nycdan said:

Absolutely not true.  Boomer guessed.  Here is the exact quote.

"Looking at him in his clothes as opposed to on a football field, this guy is approaching 400 pounds,” Esiason said on WFAN on Thursday. To me, he looks like he weighs somewhere between 395 and 400. "

Not saying Boomer is wrong, but let's not turn opinions into facts.

Weighs Somewhere between 395 and 400? Wow that’s a huge difference.

image.png

On 6/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Smashmouth said:

when a trainer says he's not over 400 pounds that's scary because as far as we know the most he weighed playing the game was in the 370 range so why the 400 reference ??

Let's say he weighs 395 pounds, shall we?  At that weight, losing the first 10 pounds is easy, and my guess is he can lose that in the first 2 weeks without killing himself.  Now that puts him at 385.  The next 20 pounds will take some work, but again, he could do that without killing himself.  

I will be surprised if he shows up to camp over 365.  He can get his playing weight down to 360 in camp during practices and continuing to eat properly, which is what I think will happen. 

It's not ideal, but the guy is like 24 years old, and at his current weight, taking pounds off is not that hard.

I am 6'2", and my highest weight was 240 pounds.  I went on weight watchers, and lost 7 pounds in the first week, then 4 pounds the second week.  After that, it got harder.  But those first 2 weeks and 10 pounds is really not hard, especially at Becton's current weight.

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

Let's say he weighs 395 pounds, shall we?  At that weight, losing the first 10 pounds is easy, and my guess is he can lose that in the first 2 weeks without killing himself.  Now that puts him at 385.  The next 20 pounds will take some work, but again, he could do that without killing himself.  

I will be surprised if he shows up to camp over 365.  He can get his playing weight down to 360 in camp during practices and continuing to eat properly, which is what I think will happen. 

It's not ideal, but the guy is like 24 years old, and at his current weight, taking pounds off is not that hard.

I am 6'2", and my highest weight was 240 pounds.  I went on weight watchers, and lost 7 pounds in the first week, then 4 pounds the second week.  After that, it got harder.  But those first 2 weeks and 10 pounds is really not hard, especially at Becton's current weight.

You went on weight watchers. You had the desire and drive to lose weight. That's the difference. I haven't seen any evidence yet Mekhi has that same desire. Seems to me he feels he can play at a high level at any weight, whether it's this year, next year, 5 years from now, etc. He doesn't realize it's not sustainable...

5 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You went on weight watchers. You had the desire and drive to lose weight. That's the difference. I haven't seen any evidence yet Mekhi has that same desire. Seems to me he feels he can play at a high level at any weight, whether it's this year, next year, 5 years from now, etc. He doesn't realize it's not sustainable...

It definitely is not sustainable.  If he's not motivated to lose weight 5 weeks before camp, then he is a lost cause.  I have to believe that's not the case though.  He has a lot to lose, namely playing for a second contract, after missing 98% of last season. This is his make or break season.  If he is garbage this year, he will be replaced next year.  

On 6/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Not disclosing the weight is, IMO, the same as admitting Mekhi is fat as f***.

Agreed. Of course it is. If Becton showed up to camp at a weight the Jets were happy with, they would be praising him. Saleh praised Zach Wilson and even Denzel Mims for the shape they were in. Why would he not do the same with Becton? Especially when his weight has been a running storyline for the Jets?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Alka said:

He is a professional athlete.  He is supposed to be killing himself.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alka said:

what you say here is fine if just talking about playing weight but when they are removing lose cartilage at 24 that's a big concern and the only way to help that is to lower the impact because the next step when you are having issues with cartilage is bone on bone situation and that's never good and losing weight to lower the impact is a big step in helping that . So with that being said its a huge concern when he says he working out and rehabbing and he shows up at 395 no matter what happens in camp moving forward

6 hours ago, Jethead said:

Becton is too talented to not try to make things work. The minute the Jets have a viable option he's toast.

If that were the case, the Jets would have used an early draft pick on an OT or signed a replacement for Moses.  There is too much riding on this season to go with a huge question at LT or RT.  I think the Jets  are confident  that Becton is healthy and will play this season absent another fluke injury like last season's.  The hand wringing is coming from the fanbase and not Jets management.  If Becton were the question mark those in this thread are intimating, there is no way the Jets draft a CB, WR, Edge, RB (!!), and a TE before an OT in the 4th round.  There were tackles on the board when each of these players were picked.  If Becton was the risk some are saying, the Jets would have drafted one and not "luxury" picks like RB and TE.  

Becton had a great 2020 season for a rookie. He had a 320 pound man fall on his leg and wreck his knee.  That is what happened.  I'm baffled as to why people on this board are panicked about this.  As a comparison, McCaffrey has played in 10 games and missed 23 in the past two seasons with far less serious injuries.  Are Panthers fans wringing hands about his dedication to football, maturity, personal habits, and future in the league????    

The same people complaining about Becton wanted the Jets to trade a king's ransom for AJ Brown, who misses 3-4 games a season and has chronic knee and ankle issues at age 24.  That is more concerning to me than a single knee injury (and a shoulder injury in 2020 that was caused by a baffling coaching decision to dress him and play him when he first injured the shoulder).  

=

Look at Jordan Mailata of the Eagles.    He is 6-8.  He was a 7th round draft pick.  He showed up at camp in the 370s.  He was told to lose weight.  He has been playing in the 340s ever since.  He looks like a well-conditioned athlete, even though he is obviously a very big guy.

Becton does not look that way to me.  I hope he shows up in a month looking better than he looked at mini-camp.  He can leave the T-shirt home.  

10 hours ago, Jethead said:

Becton is too talented to not try to make things work. The minute the Jets have a viable option he's toast.

Becton has the raw physical capability to be a HoF OT. It’s up to him. Of course, he’s got more money than me, and I’m already retired. He can do that, too. But if he wants it, it’s there for him. The Jets have him locked up this year and next. If Becton decides he’d like to play football for a living within the next two years, he’s gonna do it while he’s under contract with the Jets. He will not be cut. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/22/2022 at 9:46 AM, Smashmouth said:

FWIW we are ALL rooting for Becton to get in shape and dominate the NFL no one is actively rooting for the guy to fail that's ridiculous. That being said there are plenty of reasons to doubt his dedication and work ethic and the possible problems his weight may cause. 

I'm not sure the injury he sustained last year was only from one incident (the rolling over his back side by another player) . Becton had numerous issues going on with his knee one was a Dislocated Knee Cap and the other a strained MCL both of these were obviously from getting rolled on since you can't play with either but the removal of damaged cartilage from his knee usually comes from wear and tear over time especially when its described as "numerous loose bodies of cartilage" If you are shredding cartilage that means high impact, common sense tells you being grossly overweight is not helping matters. 

There is no doubt Becton is a big guy but there is no reason whatsoever why he could not get down to a playing weight between 340-350 which will still give him plenty of weight to push people around at will while making him quicker to deal with speed rushers and take pressure off his damaged knee . Cartilage does not grow back its not a good long term thing to keep putting pressure with being overweight there is no way in hell Doctors and trainers are not relaying this information to Becton and when a trainer says he's not over 400 pounds that's scary because as far as we know the most he weighed playing the game was in the 370 range so why the 400 reference ??

I'm hoping all the guessing about his weight is wrong but its pretty telling when no one is willing to say what he weighs. If he was 350 everyone involved would be praising him and willing to divulge such information, but they are not, which should help everyone read between the lines.

I'm pulling for him but we wont know anything about him or whether he can perform until training camp starts, that's when the real info comes out lets hope its good news and Becton becomes the road grader we need at RT to pave the way for our running game.

Gase started Becton with an injured shoulder as a rookie.  Clearly Becton got hurt because he eats or something 

2 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Let’s see Wirfs play LT with a QB not named Tom Brady.  I’d like to watch

2 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Gase started Becton with an injured shoulder as a rookie.  Clearly Becton got hurt because he eats or something 

pure genius

19 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

what you say here is fine if just talking about playing weight but when they are removing lose cartilage at 24 that's a big concern and the only way to help that is to lower the impact because the next step when you are having issues with cartilage is bone on bone situation and that's never good and losing weight to lower the impact is a big step in helping that . So with that being said its a huge concern when he says he working out and rehabbing and he shows up at 395 no matter what happens in camp moving forward

I completely agree with you.  After I read your post, I did some research on Becton's injury.  One high level source said that due to his injury, his weight ballooned up, since he was not able to do rehab during that time.  Once that happened, him coming back last year was thwarted.  

In terms of him returning to the field at a high level, it seems that this is not a problem whatsoever, as long as he loses the weight. Will he be able to compete at the same level as before; only time will tell.

As far as his weight is concerned, if he doesn't lose the weight, he won't be long for the NFL.  I'm skeptical. I don't believe it is in him to lose the weight and keep it off.  Yes, he can lose it, but he will put it back on, that will be his downfall ultimately.

• Upvote 1