Baker Mayfield named Panthers QB1

Local radio here in NC speculated that the Carolina-NE joint practice yesterday would result in Carolina's QB1 getting named, so the timing isn't much of a surprise; joint practices are an even better competition-driver than preseason games.  There were like 5 reported fights during the practice as well.

And we all know how Darnold performs against the Pats....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Matt Rhule is a clown.

He really is. He comes across to me as sort of that slick totally shifty dishonest preacher type that preys on peoples base emotions. Cannot see him lasting another year. Could easily be an in-season firing. Dodged a bullet with him only to be hit by a speeding bullet train.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He really is. He comes across to me as sort of that slick totally shifty dishonest preacher type that preys on peoples base emotions. Cannot see him lasting another year. Could easily be an in-season firing. Dodged a bullet with him only to be hit by a speeding bullet train.

yea, he's exactly the type of guy I could hear uttering something like Positive Vibes Only and never producing results. 

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold is headed down the Sanchez path:  Bounce around to a few different spots as a backup but never sticks.  Out of the league by the age of 28, if not earlier.  But at least in Sanchez's case, he got dragged by a great team to some fun playoff games.

It would all be so surprising if there weren't several of us predicting exactly this years ago.  And now we'll get screamed at to shut up about it because he's no longer a Jet.

Who would have thought that ultimately Geno might be the most successful of the 3 QBs before Zach

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Lots of buzz about Trey Lance struggling. 

Really curious to see how he plays in that offense. 

Complete wildcard. It’s going to be very interesting. He has a strong supporting cast and excellent coaching. He was giving a year to learn. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold is headed down the Sanchez path:  Bounce around to a few different spots as a backup but never sticks.  Out of the league by the age of 28, if not earlier.  But at least in Sanchez's case, he got dragged by a great team to some fun playoff games.

It would all be so surprising if there weren't several of us predicting exactly this years ago.  And now we'll get screamed at to shut up about it because he's no longer a Jet.

Yup. Teams don't want a backup who throws up interceptions the way he does. They want a boring game manager who keeps the ball safe. At least Sam is telegenic. It will be funny watching Sanchez and Darnold doing game analysis together.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Soon to be including Zach. 

I don't think so despite all the rampant Zach hate here lately. I still think he is a Top 10 QB all said and done unless he proves to be injury prone.  Dr Chau said Zach's knee should not be more injury prone in that knee if it turned out to just be a bone bruise.  At the same time though he thought it would still be an ACL. I am sure Zach will wear a brace for here on out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I don't think so despite all the rampant Zach hate here lately. I still think he is a Top 10 QB all said and done unless he proves to be injury prone.  Dr Chau said Zach's knee should not be more injury prone in that knee if it turned out to just be a bone bruise.  At the same time though he thought it would still be an ACL. I am sure Zach will wear a brace for here on out.

Top 10 QB shouldn’t even be a consideration. He has to walk before he runs. That’s what 2022 is all about. Top 20 QB would be great for his career after the disappointing start. Since he’s a Jets QB, he’ll most likely be a bust. That’s the unfortunate truth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Top 10 QB shouldn’t even be a consideration. He has to walk before he runs. That’s what 2022 is all about. Top 20 QB would be great for his career after the disappointing start. Since he’s a Jets QB, he’ll most likely be a bust. That’s the unfortunate truth. 

We will see. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Darnold seems like a nice guy, but at least Sanchez has a personality and is able to do broadcasting.  

Darnold will end up a boogie boarding instructor in Dana Point.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Solid preemptive whine. Duly noted. 

• Haha 1