Kansas City Chiefs releasing WR Josh Gordon, source says

1 minute ago, MykePM said:

I think this is the first time that Gordon has been available over the years that I haven’t reluctantly thought that the Jets should consider him.  Thank you, Joe Douglas, thank you!

Yep, having a deep WR room is a nice feeling for a change. 

i know he is stupid for just not smoking pot......but honestly i think its a shame that he was suspended for smoking pot in the first place
i mean unless the sport is doritos eating or spacing out for an hour with sesame street on the tv.....pot is not performance enhancing

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

i know he is stupid for just not smoking pot......but honestly i think its a shame that he was suspended for smoking pot in the first place
i mean unless the sport is doritos eating or spacing out for an hour with sesame street on the tv.....pot is not performance enhancing

Meanwhile Josh Gordon will have been suspended for far longer than players who committed violent crimes.  The system is a complete mess.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Meanwhile Josh Gordon will have been suspended for far longer than players who committed violent crimes.  The system is a complete mess.

I see this problem at work all the time.  Yes, smoking weed isn't the worst sin in the world, but... there is a rule and there is 100% proof that he violated it and did so multiple times.  The proof on these violent crimes is generally much "squishier" and provides opportunities for various defenses which people are generally guaranteed through due process.  Gordon OTOH will have a failed drug test multiple times.  Open and shut.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I see this problem at work all the time.  Yes, smoking weed isn't the worst sin in the world, but... there is a rule and there is 100% proof that he violated it and did so multiple times.  The proof on these violent crimes is generally much "squishier" and provides opportunities for various defenses which people are generally guaranteed through due process.  Gordon OTOH will have a failed drug test multiple times.  Open and shut.

Open and shut, my foot.  The hypocrisy of the NFL is astounding, yet you're defending it?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Worst sin? It's not a sin at all. It's kinda ridiculous, but whatever. Yeah it's a rule and he is stupid for having violated it because it cost him a career. Bit the rule is f*cking stupid and the system is broken. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Open and shut, my foot.  The hypocrisy of the NFL is astounding, yet you're defending it?

Where is the hypocrisy?  There is a rule and they upheld it.  If you don't like the rule, change it.  The NFLPA had that opportunity multiple times and only recently did anything about it.  A failed drug test is open and shut.  It is not the same as a DV issue or an assault which may have he said/she said evidence.  I am no fan of the NFL system, but that is the reason why the penalties are unfair to your perception.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Where is the hypocrisy?  There is a rule and they upheld it.  If you don't like the rule, change it.  The NFLPA had that opportunity multiple times and only recently did anything about it.  A failed drug test is open and shut.  It is not the same as a DV issue or an assault which may have he said/she said evidence.  I am no fan of the NFL system, but that is the reason why the penalties are unfair to your perception.

The penalties are absurd.  And the real life penalties were far more absurd than the NFL's penalties.  People were getting life in prison while murderers and rapists were serving only a handful of years.  There is no rationale for this.  Though to this day, it's still a "schedule 1" drug.  It's preposterous.  

It's also legal on the state level but illegal on the federal level.  I don't think the average person can "try to change the law" either.  These laws have never made any sense.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The penalties are absurd.  And the real life penalties were far more absurd than the NFL's penalties.  People were getting life in prison while murderers and rapists were serving only a handful of years.  There is no rationale for this.  Though to this day, it's still a "schedule 1" drug.  It's preposterous.  

It's also legal on the state level but illegal on the federal level.  I don't think the average person can "try to change the law" either.  These laws have never made any sense.

When you look at it from a profit standpoint law's that seemed to make big sense suddenly do

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

I probably, most likely definitely, wouldn't work in your company. Anyway my point is it's stupid to suspend someone over smoking weed. 

35 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Right, but none of this has much relationship to the reasons why the penalties end up being higher for things like drug use or credit card delinquency than the kind of things that seem so horrible - like Watson.  One has a very simple bar of proof.  A failed drug test.  An unpaid dredit card statement.  The other involves testimony from people who may or may not give a damn about the outcome.

If you're talking about changing the laws maybe the little guy doesn't have much chance, though I would argue they have done pretty well on that score.  I was talking about the NFLPA which has the ability to negotiate these kinds of penalties and kept it on the back burner.