Zach Wilson: "Could Be Ready for Week 1"

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Much like Darnold, I don't think QB's like him are built to be good backups, so unlikely on the latter unless he fundamentally changes the way he plays.  Good backups are game managers.  Wilson doesn't strike me as a game manager.  Nor should anyone want him to be.

I think ultimately there could be a path to him being a below average QB in this league, but that's obviously not what you look for out of a # 2 overall pick in a QB class with 4 other guys getting taken in the top 15.  

I do like him better as a prospect than Darnold, though that's not saying much and has hindsight as a guide.  I wanted Darnold coming out of school.  I didn't want Wilson.  My hope was that not wanting Wilson would mean he'd end up good.  So far, I'm less confident of that than I was on draft day.  And I wasn't confident in him, so....

ZW has a superior skill set to Sam. Zach doesn’t have happy feet and will sit in pocket to deliver the pass. Zach is also built for this system as he excels in an RPO/run PA type of offense. Wilson offers better mobility as well as the obvious cannon for an arm. He can fit those passes in tight windows as evident by some of his throws in the last few games last season. The kid literally has every skill set to be a top QB in this league and JD has built this team for success. That’s why I think he’s going to be a star. For people to just look at his stats from last year and then rattle off a list of 30 other rookie QBs who have had bad stats who have gone on to bust is not the correct way to evaluate the kid. Obviously this is a huge year for him. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Man it must be a rough life being such a pessimist all the time. Zach has one of the strongest arms in the league and seems to be improving his accuracy when he came back from injury. But sure, be negative. Why are you even a fan of the Jets? Most fans I know are rooting like crazy for this kid

Not rough at all.   I just choose to see reality.   I spent decades (DECADES!) drinking the team kool-Aid and hoping players would succeed.  I have had the optimism beaten (figuratively) out of me.  

Sanchez: #5 pick.   Darnold: #3 pick.  Wilson: #2 pick.   For whatever reason, the team got sold a bill of goods on these scrubs.  They believed the hype and got burned.  You want to believe Zach will succeed?  Awesome, I hope you will be proven right.  But me?  I see that kid as just another Jet blown pick.   So it's not about negativity.  That's an easy out.    It is about what those with open eyes see as reality.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

ZW has a superior skill set to Sam. Zach doesn’t have happy feet 

Wilson has better footwork than Darnold, who was once described by a scout as a “cow on skates”.  Whoop-Dee-Doo.

And you’re still wrong about the “happy feet” take here.  Wilson looks to leave the pocket at the first sign of trouble or even non-existent trouble, but lacks the speed and athleticism to be an effective runner.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not rough at all.   I just choose to see reality.   I spent decades (DECADES!) drinking the team kool-Aid and hoping players would succeed.  I have had the optimism beaten (figuratively) out of me.  

Sanchez: #5 pick.   Darnold: #3 pick.  Wilson: #2 pick.   For whatever reason, the team got sold a bill of goods on these scrubs.  They believed the hype and got burned.  You want to believe Zach will succeed?  Awesome, I hope you will be proven right.  But me?  I see that kid as just another Jet blown pick.   So it's not about negativity.  That's an easy out.    It is about what those with open eyes see as reality.

Sanchez and Darnold didn’t have half the skill set that Zach has. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell ya

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Sanchez and Darnold didn’t have half the skill set that Zach has. If you can’t see that I don’t know what to tell ya

Nothing Zach Wilson does is special dude.  You just want him to be an elite prospect.  Arm strength is nice but it does not make a franchise QB.  Some of the game’s best QBs of all time had merely above average arm strength.  

In every other characteristic Wilson is no better than average compared to other highly drafted/talented QBs in history.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nothing Zach Wilson does is special dude.  You just want him to be an elite prospect.  Arm strength is nice but it does not make a franchise QB.  Some of the game’s best QBs of all time had merely above average arm strength.  

In every other characteristic Wilson is no better than average compared to other highly drafted/talented QBs in history.  

I’m curious to know what young QBs you think are good or will be good? (And don’t say obviously Mahomes or Herbert lol) 

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Also, Darnold had a long run once too.

I remember that 46 yard touchdown run vs the Broncos. I still think Wilson has the ability to run when he has to and be effective. I'm not saying he'll run like Josh Allen, but I think he can run like let's say Ryan Tannehill, who actually had 7 rushing touchdowns last season, second to only Jalen Hurts. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I remember being absolutely stunned at how fast Sam was.  And the juke he put on the defender (I believe it was against Denver) was extremely impressive.  I also remember being stunned at how fast Daniel Jones was (even though he stumbled on the play I'm thinking of).  

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I remember being absolutely stunned at how fast Sam was.  And the juke he put on the defender (I believe it was against Denver) was extremely impressive.  I also remember being stunned at how fast Daniel Jones was (even though he stumbled on the play I'm thinking of).  

That Danny Jones run was the fastest a QB has ever been clocked on a football field btw lol

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

20-0

47-3

59-10

38-6

27-33

Those are the scores from the last five Ravens’ season openers. 4-1 in those games, and the one loss came with the Raiders’ Daniel Carlson kicking a 55 yard field goal to send it into OT. The Jets are going to get cream-pied no matter who’s the QB, and they shouldn’t subject Zach Wilson to the beating he’d take in this game. 

virgins meme GIF by Death From Above 1979

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Just like the owner of a business or company making a dumb move.  We brought Saleh here to add stability and make good decisions.  So far, especially if he has the balls to start Zach on a knee that's been hurt & repaired twice in less than a year?  Not living up to expectations.

You’re actually getting this upset over something that really isn’t happening?  
Emergency bottle needs tapping 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yeah and the list of elite quarterbacks with strong arms is like 30-1, dumb.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

20-0

47-3

59-10

38-6

27-33

Those are the scores from the last five Ravens’ season openers. 4-1 in those games, and the one loss came with the Raiders’ Daniel Carlson kicking a 55 yard field goal to send it into OT. The Jets are going to get cream-pied no matter who’s the QB, and they shouldn’t subject Zach Wilson to the beating he’d take in this game. 

What do games from years ago have to do with the team we're facing next week? This is the NFL, not the puss pop league. If your starting QB is ready to play and had a week of preparation you put him in.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

20-0

47-3

59-10

38-6

27-33

it aint gonna get much easier in next games beside they had 7 players picked up on waiver!

Tell you what though, if Zach does start they should do the opp of what everyone will expect them to do.  They should go Chan Gailey on Baltimore 3/4/5 wide air attack and let Zach run like Lamar..Everyone is going to expect a heavy dose of run, run, pass - they need to fight the urge.