Zach Wilson: "Could Be Ready for Week 1"

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

In all seriousness, the Ravens offense is a terrible matchup for our defense. They will probably run all over us and score at will and easily cover the spread. 

The only chance the Jets have at being competitive is to score a lot of points. I’m just not a fan of “protecting” the 2nd year QB - it’s his year to take a step forward and start to figure out the NFL. And if he can’t hack it, we want the Jets organization to come to that conclusion sooner than later. It’s time to sink or swim. No avoiding “tough” opponents. 

Btw, Baltimore had a middle of the pack defense last year and has a new DC. There’s no excuse to not be able to score some points against them at home. 

If Saleh doesn’t run cover 0 he deserves to be fired on Monday.  Lamar Jackson never figured out how to play against cover 0 after the dolphins game last season 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I’m curious to know what young QBs you think are good or will be good? (And don’t say obviously Mahomes or Herbert lol) 

I assume you mean who among the 2021 class?  I think Mac Jones can be a lower end starter in this league.  Same goes for Davis Mills.  Fields in my mind has the best shot to “make it” and reach an above average level or better.  

I’m not bullish on Lawrence, Wilson or Lance at the moment.  

Approaching the draft last year I wanted the Jets to go with Fields, Lance, or a vet option like Trubisky/Minshew/Winston.  In the process either trading down or taking Pitts at 2.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What do games from years ago have to do with the team we're facing next week? This is the NFL, not the puss pop league. If your starting QB is ready to play and had a week of preparation you put him in.

It means that Harbaugh is a professional coach who typically has his team more ready for Week 1 than his counterpart.  

That doesn’t mean I’d want Wilson “protected” from it unless we’re talking re-injury risk.  He’s obviously gotta be 100 % or close to it.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

I remember that 46 yard touchdown run vs the Broncos. I still think Wilson has the ability to run when he has to and be effective. I'm not saying he'll run like Josh Allen, but I think he can run like let's say Ryan Tannehill, who actually had 7 rushing touchdowns last season, second to only Jalen Hurts. 

I think that’s an optimistic take, especially given the nature of his recent injury, but sure, just like Darnold he can run a bit.  It just can’t be a central part of his game.  

As I noted earlier, he was always abandoning the pocket at first signs of trouble in year 1.  Unless you can run like a poor man’s Jalen Hurts at minimum, you can’t be doing that.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

20-0

47-3

59-10

38-6

27-33

Those are the scores from the last five Ravens’ season openers. 4-1 in those games, and the one loss came with the Raiders’ Daniel Carlson kicking a 55 yard field goal to send it into OT. The Jets are going to get cream-pied no matter who’s the QB, and they shouldn’t subject Zach Wilson to the beating he’d take in this game. 

You're right...let Mike Fing White take the beating for him.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I just don’t see the negativity towards the kid. He has one of the strongest arms in the league already and can definitely be successful. Instead of saying “hey he could be a good player let’s see how he turns out this year” you got guys already dismissing him as a bust lol. Makes no sense to me. So if he does do well and is successful I don’t want to see these same people here cheering for him 

What you see as negativity, we see as realistic.

It’s just a different perspective.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It means that Harbaugh is a professional coach who typically has his team more ready for Week 1 than his counterpart.  

That doesn’t mean I’d want Wilson “protected” from it unless we’re talking re-injury risk.  He’s obviously gotta be 100 % or close to it.  

So what, are we supposed to be scared of the Ravens? 

herm GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wilson has better footwork than Darnold, who was once described by a scout as a “cow on skates”.  Whoop-Dee-Doo.

And you’re still wrong about the “happy feet” take here.  Wilson looks to leave the pocket at the first sign of trouble or even non-existent trouble, but lacks the speed and athleticism to be an effective runner.

I was right there with you until the end, Wilson is a twitchy athlete. He's not going to be Lamar or Josh Allen, but he can pick up yards with his feet, but the threat of injury worries me if he starts running too much. 

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

In all seriousness, the Ravens offense is a terrible matchup for our defense. They will probably run all over us and score at will and easily cover the spread. 

The only chance the Jets have at being competitive is to score a lot of points. I’m just not a fan of “protecting” the 2nd year QB - it’s his year to take a step forward and start to figure out the NFL. And if he can’t hack it, we want the Jets organization to come to that conclusion sooner than later. It’s time to sink or swim. No avoiding “tough” opponents. 

Btw, Baltimore had a middle of the pack defense last year and has a new DC. There’s no excuse for not being able to score some points against them at home. 

I just don't think we know what our defense is.  

They'll likely be 6 new starters on the defense - all substantial upgrades from last year...with the others in the second year of a the system.

This defense will be much better than last year - how much is the question.  But I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Jets held them under 20 points.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I was right there with you until the end, Wilson is a twitchy athlete. He's not going to be Lamar or Josh Allen, but he can pick up yards with his feet, but the threat of injury worries me if he starts running too much. 

This is correct.  Zach Wilson is an exceptional athlete.  It's where the anti-zaxxers lose credibility around here.  It's one thing to say he was bad last year, he was inaccurate early...but when you start making stuff up - just to hold on to your narrative it becomes far less serious.

He's is absolutely a twitchy athlete - and probably should run more than he does.  Started to later last year - and found success.

But you are right, injury plays a major concern in him running a lot.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is correct.  Zach Wilson is an exceptional athlete.  It's where the anti-zaxxers lose credibility around here.  It's one thing to say he was bad last year, he was inaccurate early...but when you start making stuff up - just to hold on to your narrative it becomes far less serious.

He's is absolutely a twitchy athlete - and probably should run more than he does.  Started to later last year - and found success.

But you are right, injury plays a major concern in him running a lot.

Exceptional is a little much. He's a good not great athlete for the position. Agree with the rest

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The starting defense was ranked 32nd in 2021 and just got clowned by Marcus Mariota ten days ago. 

The defense was surely atrocious last year.  Not arguing that.

But more than half of that starting team has been replaced - and in most cases HEAVILY upgraded.

Now, I know you now better than to look at a pre-season defense and think it hold any, at all, even a little bit of what to expect from said defense.  

I'm not saying this is going to be a top 5 D, all I'm saying is we really don't know what it is yet - and tying to last year's team isn't a fair assessment..

4 minutes ago, jgb said:

You’re going to have to invent new superlatives for the Lamar Jacksons and Josh Allens if you burn “exceptional” on BYU.

They are better Athletes surely and there are others.  There are a handful of better QB athletes than Zach in the league right now, but not many.  Zach is probably the 6th or 7th best starting QB athlete in the league right now.

I would ABSOLUTELY call that exceptional - considering the level at which we're talking about.